AMD to Drop ATi Name

I guess it's time for Brent to change this sub-forum's name to AMD Flavor. :(

I have searched and searched and searched.. and this little pc webpage is the only hint of AMD dropping the "ati" name... Where was it "officially announced"?

Just saw that. That sucks. I dont know what else to say...I mean I love AMD, but I was hoping ATi would still be ATi in every sence...just owned by another company (and getting more development perks, of course)

i know, think of the cards with the ATi name, i bet they are going to be worth something to some collector's

I could have sworn AMD said they weren't going to do that. Maybe I am mistaken, but I'm not going to look into it. I buy product for the products, not the name on them.

-(Xyphox)- said:
i know, think of the cards with the ATi name, i bet they are going to be worth something to some collector's
Don't know about that...Voodoo cards are collectors items because the company no longer exists....but Nvidia used to be called Riva (remember "Riva TNT"?) and the early cards that carry the Riva name aren't really collectors items.

This doesn't surprise me one bit. Keeping the Radeon name will be very benificial seeing how a lot of people recognize the brand.

I still don't know if I support this decision to "take-over" ATI. I will have to make up my mind when the first products start coming out of the pipeline from 'both companies'.

I don't think AMD is going to do that. Because they know they will lose customers if they do that. Didn't AMD say that they were going to work seperate? right? Most companies do that if they buy another company. They won't interfere with each other, and its smart to do that.

joemama said:
Don't know about that...Voodoo cards are collectors items because the company no longer exists....but Nvidia used to be called Riva (remember "Riva TNT"?) and the early cards that carry the Riva name aren't really collectors items.

Yeah remember those days now, still sucks to see amd drop the name though :(

lloose said:
I have searched and searched and searched.. and this little pc webpage is the only hint of AMD dropping the "ati" name... Where was it "officially announced"?

Agreeing with myself more..
sounds like bullshit.. this is the only source that has said it. It would be all over the web by now, and AMD said originally that they are going to keep the ATI name.

im calling bullshit.

lloose said:
sounds like bullshit.. this is the only source that has said it. It would be all over the web by now, and AMD said originally that they are going to keep the ATI name.

im calling bullshit.

idk, found it on digg :p

-(Xyphox)- said:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/custompc/news/91589/amd-to-drop-ati-brand.html

So is this good bye the the Radeon? Going to be kinda wierd seeing AMD Radeon....
We are not saying goodbye Radeon, the article that you linked says they are likely keeping that branding. Your second sentence is correct, AMD Radeon!

joemama said:
The company was always nVidia. Riva TNT was the marketing name of a line of chipsets that nVidia made before the GeForce. nVidia was still the company name, not Riva.

joemama said:

I guess that's where Rivatuner gets its name. Yeah, I admit I'm showing my noob-ness here.

I personally haven't heard anything of this nature officially.

As far as I know we are still to call it ATI Radeon blablabla, but I will find out for sure soon.

Brent_Justice said:
I personally haven't heard anything of this nature officially.

As far as I know we are still to call it ATI Radeon blablabla, but I will find out for sure soon.

Yep, My Saying can say it all here *(TWRA)*
Time will Reveal All

I highly doubt this ever happening. ATi has an incredibly well established identity and AMD would not simply throw it in the trash.

This isn't your phone company.

i'm thinking ahead to the future and my brand-name-whore tendencies and i just had to sigh...

nVidia GeForce 8800 or AMD Radeon X2K

oh my head hurts

Menelmarar said:
The company was always nVidia. Riva TNT was the marketing name of a line of chipsets that nVidia made before the GeForce. nVidia was still the company name, not Riva.

QFT

wow, so you'll have an AMD X2L CPU, and a AMD X2K GPU. lol.

edit: (for those who don't get it for whatever reason, X2L is in jest reference to K8L)

lloose said:

im calling bullshit.

ditto.

I'm pretty confident I read in one of the many editorials covering the purchase that AMD has no plans to change the ATi name. ATi will merely be a subsidiary of AMD.
Forgive me for not going back through the 50 articles I read on the subject in the past couple weeks :)

This kinda sucks. I'm not sure I'm gonna be real happy about AMD buying ATI, and now they might be dropping the ATI name?

What can we expect next for the memory on new video cards to be Advertised with some sort of "Performance Rating", instead of the actual clock speeds. :rolleyes:

Puterguru said:
This kinda sucks. I'm not sure I'm gonna be real happy about AMD buying ATI, and now they might be dropping the ATI name?

What can we expect next for the memory on new video cards to be Advertised with some sort of "Performance Rating", instead of the actual clock speeds. :rolleyes:

Well if they advertise actual clockspeeds, then people would buy the AXP instead of the A64 because it's "faster", or when the AXP came out people would say the thunderbird "was faster" becuase it had a higher clock speed for the same performance.

Or even the P4 2.8's instead of the 1.8Ghz A64 because the P4 is faster clockwise.

It was a marketing move to help compete with their older lineups and Intel's offering. A successful move I might add.

ryan_975 said:
Well if they advertise actual clockspeeds, then people would buy the AXP instead of the A64 because it's "faster", or when the AXP came out people would say the thunderbird "was faster" becuase it had a higher clock speed for the same performance.

Or even the P4 2.8's instead of the 1.8Ghz A64 because the P4 is faster clockwise.

It was a marketing move to help compete with their older lineups and Intel's offering. A successful move I might add.
Yeah not to get off on a tangeant here, but shopping for anything based on pure clockspeed would be idiotic.

If you believe clock speed > all, then I have a x1300 that I'd like to trade for your 7900GT :)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCompare.asp?SubCategory=48&CompareItemList=N82E16814150144%2CN82E16814142071

jebo_4jc said:
Yeah not to get off on a tangeant here, but shopping for anything based on pure clockspeed would be idiotic.

If you believe clock speed > all, then I have a x1300 that I'd like to trade for your 7900GT :)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCompare.asp?SubCategory=48&CompareItemList=N82E16814150144%2CN82E16814142071

But that's what people do. I was trying to sel my Athlon 64 3000+ system on eBay a while back and has a person ask me why it was only 1.8GHz when a P4 2.4 was cheaper than what I had it listed for.

joemama said:

I remember nvidia making a riva tnt ( I bought one) and I remember nvidia making a viper 330 before that. The viper 330 was an nvidia riva 128 chip.

Here is the history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIVA_TNT

I'll wait for a more known source before I start worrying.

But it would really suck if AMD did drop the ATI name and made them focus on the mobile/integrated platform and chipset markets and leave Nvidia alone at the top.

Ravynmagi said:
I'll wait for a more known source before I start worrying.

But it would really suck if AMD did drop the ATI name and made them focus on the mobile/integrated platform and chipset markets and leave Nvidia alone at the top.

That won't happen. AMD is looking to expand its product portfolio, not give NV free reign at the top.

From the perspective of being an ATI fan, I agree that it would be sad to see this happen.

But AMD is hardly an "unknown" name. I mean, anyone who cares enough about video cards to know the difference between ATI and Nvidia is almost certainly going to know who AMD is. In fact, AMD's reputation over these past 2 years as an enthusiast brand is considerably then ATI's has been ( none of ATI's top end stuff has really beaten out Nvidia's since the 9800XT). I think if people see the name "AMD" written on a video card box it may even attract interest to the product.

who cares if they drop the ATI name.. If the cards are great, even if the name is changed to "Bobby Big Dick 2000 eXtreme", i'll still buy it.

if this happens its going to kill alot of their market share, I have to give this 2 thumbs down as this is probably the most retarded idea ever.

Honestly the name change will only affect those who rely on name recognition for their purchasing and people who really like the company

I could care less if the name changed, as long as their cards continue to kick ass (*hugs* X1900XT) i'll continue to buy them and read their product reviews.

Hey brent... how about the official word man? Any of your contacts telling you the skinny?

Back