AMD Threadripper Water Block Cooler Roundup for 2017 @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
AMD Threadripper Water Block Cooler Roundup for 2017

We go back and re-test all of our Socket TR4 AMD Threadripper CPU under the same conditions so we can compare all of those directly in one review article. We cover the EK Supremacy EVO, the Koolance 400A-S, the Phanteks 399A, the Swiftech Apogee SKF-TR4, and the XSPC RayStorm NEO.

I guess the EK people aren't going to like you very much, Kyle... Well, they'll still have LinusTechTips to talk them up, I suppose. :)

Also... GO, KOOLANCE!!!

man, as an owner of the EK block, I'm not happy. I'm going to see about getting my hands on the XSPC or the koolance.

man, as an owner of the EK block, I'm not happy. I'm going to see about getting my hands on the XSPC or the koolance.
I know that EK did refund at least one person here on the HardForum for their TR4 block purchase since they were unhappy with performance.

The worst part about the EK situation is that it's obviously a result of half-assing. Whoever was on the engineering team that thought they could get away with recycling the heat engine for TR4 should be demoted to janitor... and then tarred-and-feathered.

That XSPC is a beast. The absolute temps are nice, but the flow rate it maintains while doing it is nuts.

One thing that people should read are the indepth articles, as there are some small issues with a couple of the blocks, that if changed give them a lot more performance. One example is the Swiftech block, by changing to a heavier spring to put the right amount of pressure, it beats out the XSPC block, roughly an 8 degree swing from stock springs to heavy springs.

EK admitted that they just kind of half assed it, which is sad to see, but all the other offerings are really good, for what I would consider a niche product.

Good round up and the individual articles are a must read just to see each ones differing but minor issues, be it a tight fit for the mounting screws or weak springs for potentially better performance.

Video demonitized by YouTube. Hmm. I guess water cooling Threadripper is objectionable now? Wonder how this came to be?

upload_2017-12-30_14-41-44.png

One thing that people should read are the indepth articles, as there are some small issues with a couple of the blocks, that if changed give them a lot more performance. One example is the Swiftech block, by changing to a heavier spring to put the right amount of pressure, it beats out the XSPC block, roughly an 8 degree swing from stock springs to heavy springs.

EK admitted that they just kind of half assed it, which is sad to see, but all the other offerings are really good, for what I would consider a niche product.

Idk you guys think EK half asses stuff lol...I think it's okay stuff man.

Last edited:
Did they half ass the Supremacy Block? because whole thing actually seems to be doing really well.
It has been the only TR4 block fail to keep our Threadripper overclock stable, so I would say yes. Fine for stock clocks, but I don't really think that is what it is made for.

Idk you guys think EK half asses stuff lol...I think it's okay stuff man.
idk man like when they just like you know man like just extend the hold down plate man and like make zero change man to the the you know important parts like the actual you know man fin area size man. then that's half-assing it man, man.
trying to sound like "the dude" on a forum is pretty annoying. but that's just like, you know, my opinion man...

idk man like when they just like you know man like just extend the hold down plate man and like make zero change man to the the you know important parts like the actual you know man fin area size man. then that's half-assing it man, man.
trying to sound like "the dude" on a forum is pretty annoying. but that's just like, you know, my opinion man...

Kinda like what it is man, Dude on Forums Lol, I'm still Impressed with ThreadRipper though.

Last edited:
Wow. I knew the EK block would be bad because of the stupid shortcuts they took, but I didn't realize it would be THAT bad.

I guess the EK people aren't going to like you very much, Kyle... Well, they'll still have LinusTechTips to talk them up, I suppose. :)

Also... GO, KOOLANCE!!!

In general their recent products haven't been bad. They had really turned things around since the nickel plating fiasco a few years back, and their blocks were consistently at the top of the pack since then.

And then this. They didn't want to redesign a bigger block, so they just shoved an internally small block in a bigger metal slab, and the results show it.

I have one of their fullcover blocks on my Titan and it keeps it REMARKABLY cool. Surprisingly close to coolant temp. The Supremacy EVO all viper block on the CPU does pretty well too (but not quite as good).

Such a shame.

Last edited:
In general their recent products haven't been bad. They had really turned things around since the nickel playing fiasco a few years back, and their blocks were consistently at the top of the pack since then.

And then this. They didn't want to redesign a bigger block, so they just shoved an internally small block in a bigger metal slab, and the results show it.

I have one of their fullcover blocks on my Titan and it keeps it REMARKABLY cool. Surprisingly close to coolant temp. The Supremacy EVO all viper block on the CPU does pretty well too (but not quite as good).

Such a shame.

No EK hate was intended, just that they tend to have a rabid fanbase and their statement to Kyle about review samples rubbed me wrong. I have an EK block on my Sapphire RX-480 8G. They were the only game in town.

Back