AMD Threadripper Gooseberry HEDT World Record? - [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Last edited:
First off, congrats (hopefully it is a record)

Secondly I wanted to say I'm really enjoying this stuff recently. It's getting back to the 'hack it up' nature that [H] had back in the day.

I know the market moved on but it's been awesome. Just need to crack the core now :)

Well, that did not take long. ;)

22min 37.19sec

223719.png

Not bad! I can't wait to install mine and attempt to beat you!
YES! I am sure there are some of you that can best me. I am making one last run attempt now. But I got a yard party starting here in a bit.

I just got 23mins 50 seconds with all 1950X cores @ 3.7Ghz 64oC 1.16V on a Kraken X62 (with a number of apps open and a youtube video playing). Have to say, super impressed by this CPU. Rendering temps are very low with unreal speed. I'll try again soon with less 'mess' going on in the background :D

tried running it for shits and googles on my 1600 but peak memory usage easily exceeded 16GB even though blender was showing a peak usage of 6.8GB. :(

Secondly I wanted to say I'm really enjoying this stuff recently. It's getting back to the 'hack it up' nature that [H] had back in the day.

I know the market moved on but it's been awesome. Just need to crack the core now :)

I agree 100% as It reminds me of the late 1990s/early 2000s. I am digging the direct & to the point YouTube videos as well.

nochange.jpg

dang TR is fast, my quad socket is only a few minutes faster. looks like a good chunk of the runtime on faster systems is setup though, there were several minutes of single-threaded kernel initialization and BVH computation

WduwDyL.jpg

Last edited:
Time to hook up the waterblock to a larger radiator and/or some 3000+ rpm fans and shoot for 4.1GHz?

Kyle- Thanks for putting up the videos. While the site content is always great, these smaller videos are good!

I have been using the same Koolance dry break fittings on my water cooling setups for several years now and I took notice in the amount of water that dripped out when you were swapping blocks. I hate to pull an Apple iPhone here and say "you're doing it wrong", but I think you are doing this wrong. All I do to make a "swap" in the system is pull the retainer ring in the direction indicated for it to release. Thats it! The opposing fitting will pop off and no water will come out. In fact, I have actually NEVER had any water drop out of any of my Koolance dry break fittings ever and while I may not make as many swaps as you, I would estimate about 30 or so swaps per year at the very least and its been over 3+ years I have been using them.
You are 100% correct. If you break the couplings above the head pressure, no spliggae at all. I will follow up with a better video./

Kyle have you tried setting just some of the cores above 4 gHz like the first 4 or every fourth core and have the rest at like 3.8 gHz?
I feel that they have a slider for each core for some reason right?
Just as an experiment to explore new options.

I won't have a TR anytime soon, but if i did I would be flipping switches and trying different combinations of settings.

What about more system memory does a ramdisk help this benchmark any?

22:47 on mine (1950x @ 4GHz (1.325v)), but I have a lot of additional processes in the background so that might be my issue. Regardless, it's fast.

54:39:33 on my i7-3930k at 4.4GHz.
32GB DDR3-2400 memory.

I walked away and the screensaver tried to come on, I'll retry with some other options.

This used the most memory of anything I've ever ran; 18.4GB used total.

Neat benchmark :)

Kyle have you tried setting just some of the cores above 4 gHz like the first 4 or every fourth core and have the rest at like 3.8 gHz?
I feel that they have a slider for each core for some reason right?
Just as an experiment to explore new options.

I won't have a TR anytime soon, but if i did I would be flipping switches and trying different combinations of settings.

You can't adjust individual core frequency, as the entire chip runs at a set frequency from the mainboard.

The sliders you see are showing whole chip frequency for the number of loaded cores, ie if only one core is loaded, run chip at X frequency, if only two cores are loaded, run chip at Y frequency etc...

I can't beat you but I'll post my results soon. It's running right now

http://www.luxmark.info/top_results/Hotel/OpenCL/CPU/1
Could you please get some entries into the database for Luxmark with the three different (Luxball, Microphone, and Hotel) render tests and only the CPU checked? There is nothing on the AMD side beyond Ryzen 7 for 1x socket systems. Obviously tons of Xeon results though!
I uploaded all of these

Luxball HDR - 5217 - #13 on the board.
Microphone - 4360 - #15 on the board.
Hotel - 1408 - #8 on the board.

I was running the system at 4.05GHz/3466MHz.

That's awesome!

It's about time AMD got a break. :)

I'm seriously looking at upgrading systems, and this is finally something 30+ % faster than my current system.

And this will end up cheaper than the Intel system I was considering, which is only 200 points faster than my current one in your above chart. :)

If you translate my time above, it comes in at 3279 seconds; Not bad for a system from Christmas 2011.

Damn good work, Kyle!

:)

EDIT: I ran this on a x5670 6-core at 4.2GHz; it took 6360 seconds. :)
Things have improved a lot in ~8years, but barely 2x...

Last edited:
Awesome results!

Where is that [H]ard LN2 run.

I know, I know. clicky the patreon button and part with some of that hard earned filthy lucre. ;)

Goddamn. I'm loving this shit. I've never been into heavy overclocking, cause I just didn't have the pockets if I fucked something up, but I've never seen so much excitement in the community since I bought my first PC back in high school.

That first PC was a pre-built, business class HP. I bought it because my dad sold them, and he could get them at cost. It cost $600. I needed it on short notice for my first LAN party. That LAN was organized by Cruiza. I don't think he's been active here in a very long time, but he's who convinced me to buy the lifetime GenMay membership.

Anyway, I upgraded the fuck out of that PC over time, processor stepping warnings be damned. But I think I came at just the end of the PC building "golden days".

This was right around the Core Duo / Core 2 Duo times, and iCore processors were just around the corner. I just missed out on the "just enable the extra disabled cores" period, and every time since I got my first rig, Intel has always been the clear winner.

That was 15 fucking years ago. Really, I've never seen real competition in the PC space. Intel and Nvidia have always dominated everything but the budget market since I've been in the game. 15 goddamn years with no competition.

I don't give a rats ass if it's mostly just in the professional space that I'll never see. I'm so fucking pumped to finally see competition from AMD again, on any front. If AMD can remain mostly relevant, I'll probably go with a full AMD build the next time a full overhaul is warranted, just to give the finger to Intel and their lazy, anti-competitive practices.

I've got some bottlenecks for this bench. Takes 4-5 minutes to initialize. Think I need a clean install.

I did get it running stable at 4 GHz/1.29v, load temps ~70c with the EK block.

I still think ThreadRipper sounds like a euphemism for a sudden erection.

It sounds like it's living up to that euphemism. As a gamer first, I know it's not supposed to be my bag, but fuck is it tempting.. As someone who hasn't used AMD since my good ol' X2 4600+, AMD is bringing the excitement back to the game, and I'm all for it.

I tried running it last night. It crashed after a minute and a half every time I tried to run it.
I had the 12g of memory and am running a Xeon 5670 on Win7.

I tried running it last night. It crashed after a minute and a half every time I tried to run it.
I had the 12g of memory and am running a Xeon 5670 on Win7.
It carries with it a load. One of the reasons I ran this was one of the "Industry Analysts" posted his Threadripper running stable at 4GHz across all cores with proof of such in the form of a Cinebench score. Of course we all know that is not any sort of measure of system stability. I mentioned that do him.

He went as far as to suggest that it in fact was "stable." We all know that is most likely bullshit, but I did ask him to see if he did in fact get the unicorn cpu. I would love to see it.

Thanks, Kyle. I did get it to do the full IBT test at 4.4ghz earlier, so I thought it was stable enough to do this new one. I tried 4.3 after crashing a bunch at 4.4 and it still crashed. I will try it tonight at stock un-OCed speed to see if it crashes. (It is an older 5760 pulled from a server that I bought a few months ago to replace my 920 that was running at 4.3 since I bought it long ago.) It runs hotter at 4.4, so I mostly use it at 4.3 unless playing with benchmarks.

Holy guacamole, 22+ minutes on an OC'd Threadripper! That's going to take "normal" systems all day.

Back