AMD Threadripper 2970WX 24 Core/48 Thread - $1019.99 @ NewEgg & Amazon

Discussion in '[H]ot|DEALS' started by STEM, Feb 19, 2019.

1. STEM

STEM Gawd

This might sound crazy for a Hot Deal, however, almost $300 off a CPU is nothing to sneeze at.

My question to you guys, and to Kyle_Bennett, hwo has plenty of experience with these high core count CPUs, is this: is this worth getting? I am not getting this for gaming. I'm an enthusiast, I do virtualization related work and video editing and other things, however, I prefer to primarily use Windows on the Desktop.

AMD Threadripper 2970WX 24 Core/48 Thread:

NewEgg Link: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...on=2970wx&cm_re=2970wx-_-19-113-546-_-Product

Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Threadri...ds=2970wx&qid=1550606425&s=electronics&sr=1-1

Thank you.

Nightfire likes this.
  2. Joust

Joust 2[H]4U

It's a lot of processor. 1950x here, but I don't do any real virtualization. I'm probably (definitely) under-utilizing my gear.

Did OC to 4.0ghz though. Because [H] OCP.

STEM likes this.
  3. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett Editor-in-Chief HardOCP Staff Member

If you can use the cores, yes, and your apps are not impacted by the Windows "Coreprio" bug.

4. DogsofJune

DogsofJune 2[H]4U

I'm good with a 2920 and 1900x for now. I'll personally will wait till they come down in price or the next generation is available, but man, good find.

5. Spun Ducky

Spun Ducky Gawd

That is a good deal. I am still running 2 heavy workstations for virtualization and data analytics. One is a dual e5-2665 16 core 32 thread and the other is a dual e5-2670 v2 20 core 40 thread system. If you actually need the cores that would be an amazing system. If you don't need the cores these types of systems absolutely raise the power bill and produce a lot of heat. So I would keep that in mind for anyone thinking about this as an over the top gaming machine. You would be better served by faster lower core count chips and save a lot of money in power and part cost.

6. Joust

Joust 2[H]4U

I'm decommissioning my xeons because of power consumption. Of course, I was using them to run a media server. Heh.

7. Teenyman45

Teenyman45 2[H]4U

Random sale or early-ish stock clearing for the 39XX series chips?

mikeo likes this.
  8. notarat

notarat [H]ard|Gawd

Good question. $300 off is a lotta money to just "randomly" be discounting these...at least IMHO...

mikeo likes this.
  9. ssnyder28

ssnyder28 2[H]4U

Its certainly not random,. Assume they're either overstocked or they are clearing out inventory for a new product launch.

10. STEM

STEM Gawd

I think it's because they're not selling very well.

11. Nightfire

Nightfire [H]ard|Gawd

Did you get that information from a Steam Survey?

jhatfie and Archaea like this.
  12. STEM

STEM Gawd

Nope, just by looking around. It's the only Threadripper that's deeply discounted. You can't find a 2990WX or a 2950X at a discounted price. Either way, I will most likely get one. I got a brand new 7900X build here for a client, and I'm not impressed with it. People buy Intel because of reviews, influencers, media, in general, is steering them in that direction. Just as an example, reviewers love to show off Cinebench R15, especially single threaded score for Intel CPUs. Well, even overclocked to 4.5 GHz I couldn't get more than 171 single threaded score. After I set the CPU to Turbo up to 4.8 GHz on two cores, 4.7 GHz on four cores and so on, I got it up to 185 points. So I know that some of the benchmarks out there are fishy, questionable at best.

Anyway, my point was that I believe that people aren't buying the 2970WX because it's slotted in a weird position and because at $1299 they're looking at a 7940X / 9940X or 7960X / 9960X. If you need a fast single threaded performance, might as well get a 9900K and call it a day. Personally, I don't think anything on X299 is worth the money right now. I think that the worse value is the 7900X / 9820X / 9900X CPUs, as they're between $800 ~ $1000, all ten core CPUs.

13. Kyle_Bennett

I would suggest the "odd" SKUs have not sold as well as the prime 2950X and 2990WX. Just my guess, no data on that.

14. Nightfire

Nightfire [H]ard|Gawd

Honestly, I thought the 2970x was a better buy than the 2990x even at full price. It seemed to be closer to 10% lower in performance on MT threads instead 33% lower as threads indicate than the 2990x, save rendering.

If you overclock, you won't need such a crazy MB and cooling to hit 4 ghz+. It still gave enough threads to max out most apps while leaving enough for uninterrupted secondary tasks and VMs.

Agreed that the 10-12 core intels were always the worst value.

ssnyder28 and STEM like this.
  15. STEM

STEM Gawd

I plan on using it as my daily driver. Most I would do is PBO. I want to run multiple VMs, do my web development coding, and once in a while fire up Doom or GTA V or BF5 with all that Ray Tracing and DLLS goodness (joking about this last one).

So high clocks aren't that important to me for this chip. If wanted to hammer something, I could get a 2700X or a 9900K (probably this one) and try pushing it, hehe.

Well, the 2920X is not a good value IMHO when compared to other AMD offerings. When compared to Intel, sure, as Intel doesn't have anything that's even close to $650 and has 12 cores. The problem is that the 16 core 1950X is around $600, or a smidge under, and on a good day you might find a sale for the 2950X for $800~$820. Considering that in July ~ August we will get new chips for TR4, a 1950X seems like a no brainer to tie anyone over who wants to be on this platform but has a strict budget. Most 1950X CPUs overclock to 4.0GHz, and by God, that's a lot of CPU for that little money. I got a 1950X and I haven't come across anything that it can't run.

Kyle_Bennett I might pull the trigger on that 2970WX, that CPU seems right up my alley. I have an ASUS Zenith Extreme and the infamous ASUS Cooling Kit for it. I was wondering if you guys tested the WX CPUs on the Zenith Extreme. NewEgg has a combo for $60 off with the MSI X399 MEG Creation + 2970WX. I could always sell the Zenith Extreme as it's still brand new, never even took it out of the box. What would your advice be? I'm not as concerned about the VRMs as I know that the 8 phase can handle the WS if left on PBO, but the SOC VRM is a different story. It's a 3 phase with each phase capable of 25A, and a WS chip pulls between 60A ~ 80A from the SOC VRM. So it's either borderline or a bit over what that VRM can deliver. If you have any info on that, I would appreciate it. Otherwise, if you had a good experience with the MSI board, then I might pull the trigger on that. Is it picky about RAM? I got a 128GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200 for X99 (8 x16GB). Got it in 2017 before the prices went all crazy. Thank you for any info you can share, it's much appreciated.

Nightfire likes this.
  16. Kyle_Bennett

I say go for it, that is a great deal. The 2970WX is simply underappreciated. If you want to go Precision Boost Overdrive, you are going to have to go custom water loop though. No air cooler or AIO is going to get you there.

17. AXm77

AXm77 Limp Gawd

it is $999.99 @ microcenter ...

18. STEM

STEM Gawd

Yep, and NewEgg extended their sale for another 7 days. I guess they're not selling... If only Microsoft would fix the Windows scheduler for the 2970WX / 2990WX to work correctly. When you look at Wendell from Level 1 Tech how he presents these CPUs, he sure makes them look appealing.

19. STEM

STEM Gawd

Kyle_Bennett

I might do a custom CPU only loop for the 2970WX. I also have a 2950X here, and I was wondering how your experience with the Enermax Liqtech II TR4 has been so far. I am reading that even the second generation Liqtech have issues. NewEgg is littered with bad reviews. So I am wondering if it's something to them, or if people are just using them wrong, like allowing for the coolant inside to exceed 60 degrees Celsius for example. Thank you for any info you can provide.

20. Joust

Joust 2[H]4U

I have this cooler on a 1950x. For what it's worth, I'm taking it off to clean and replace the coolant and putting a reservoir in the loop.

21. Zinn

Zinn Pronouns: ze, zis, zit

I had the first gen one, it was such a POS. Kind of ruined my opinion on Enermax tbh.

STEM likes this.
  22. STEM

STEM Gawd

Thank you so much for your insight. I got a brand new NH U14S TR4-SP3 and a second fan for it. Haven't put the new build together yet. Unfortunately, no current AIO is good enough for Threadripper, and Enermax, as you said, is crap. Would have looked dope though with some G.Skill TridentZ RGB. Not so much with Noctua's trademark colors: Tan Vomit and Poop Brown.

23. Joust

Joust 2[H]4U

About to modify mine. I'll do a write-up. I like the cooling capacity, just not the reliability.

Zinn likes this.
  24. tangoseal

tangoseal [H]ardness Supreme

2950x and I use it for h265 encoding mostly. I do not know what I would do without all the cores. For 24 cores that is a killer deal. I would be willing to sell my 2950x and get that chip instead but at this point im going to wait and see how the 16 core 3000 series (if they make it) performs on the regular AM4 socket.

25. Zinn

Zinn Pronouns: ze, zis, zit

Two weeks ago I put the Corsair H150i Pro 360mm on mine (needed a special mounting bracket purchased directly from Corsair). Yes it doesn't fully cover the CPU heatspreader, and it's lighter and feels cheaper than the Enermax. But in my testing it cools better using the same fans (Corsair SP120 RGB). My load temps are only slightly lower (67C at full tilt) but crucially the CPU does not throttle and it would throttle significantly with the Enermax, even some cores down below 3ghz sometimes.

For the contact issue alone I wouldn't recommend the Corsair for overclocking, but for stock use it's significantly better, and very quiet even on the high performance setting.

FWIW I would have bought the Noctua U14S TR4-SP3 except I've read it has PCIe slot clearance issues on my specific mobo. I have an older non-TR4 Noctua U14S sitting on my shelf from a previous build and it was an amazing heatsink that could rival water coolers at stock settings. The fan color is also an aquired taste.

STEM likes this.
  26. STEM

STEM Gawd

I agree I got a 1950X here with a H115i with two 140MM Corsair ML fans (2000 RPM, white LEDs). It's awesome @ stock, it sucks for overclocking.

27. crazycuz20

crazycuz20 n00b

Just picked up a Strix x399-e open box at MC for $88. Didn’t come with all the cables but don’t need them. Deciding what to pair it with... sort of wanna wait for the next gen tr3 and see what the performance gains are. Currently sitting on a ZE with a 1950x, a couple 1700X gaming systems, and a FreeNAS box with an i5 2500k. Thinking about replacing my freenas system with this new board and throwing in the 1950x to do some VM’s.

28. elite.mafia

elite.mafia Broke Back [H]

29. STEM

STEM Gawd

It is indeed. That's a very annoying price point :(