AMD Takes 83% Share of Global VR System Market

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD announced today at the 2016 Game Developer Conference that the company will underscore its dominance of the global virtual reality systems market. It revealed new advances in hardware and software to further the reach of VR, and unveiled its new GPU certified program that simplifies adoption of VR technology for consumers and content creators. AMD is also making VR more easily accessible to consumers and content creators with its GPU certified program featuring the new “Radeon VR Ready Premium” and “Radeon VR Ready Creator” tiers. Its forthcoming Polaris GPUs and award-winning AMD LiquidVR™ technology will simultaneously advance groundbreaking VR-optimized graphics.

That's a really suspicious claim, 83% of what and how would they possibly know? I checked their source and it was total crap.

Source is good, includes Playstation numbers, which AMD and Sony did probably work together on multiple levels to make it possible on the PS. The amount of experience gained and fresh developed between the two companies developing the VR solution is probably quite interesting. And something other VR developers may want to work with AMD for.

I read somewhere the numbers were from JPR. It's consoles plus 970/290 which is probably accurate.

Source is JPR, yes, but they are counting based on AMD's own "rules." How do they get "we are 83% of the VR market"? By counting all consoles that include AMD graphics without regard to whether or not those consoles have any VR hardware attached. It's a farce. The announcement was hosted by Roy Taylor. That should tell any regular [H] reader all they need to know about the relevance of that announcement to anything in the real world. I would suggest that his announcement should be interpreted to mean, "The reality of 83% of anything I say is 'virtual.'"

Well if there are X amount of consoles and the ALL have AMD chipsets that are VR Ready, then it is safe to say that they have the VR market cornered in that market. It is guaranteed that they will work with the manufacturers of said consoles to ensure that they work as well as possible with VR. Since many games are console ports, it is also guaranteed that there will be underlying AMD support baked into the game engine. Nobody is going to recode an entire game to spite AMD users when porting it to a PC. So then you add in the number of R9 290 or better cards sold and you can estimate the number of AMD based PCs that are VR Ready.

At least that's how I would do it.

Source is JPR, yes, but they are counting based on AMD's own "rules." How do they get "we are 83% of the VR market"? By counting all consoles that include AMD graphics without regard to whether or not those consoles have any VR hardware attached. It's a farce. The announcement was hosted by Roy Taylor. That should tell any regular [H] reader all they need to know about the relevance of that announcement to anything in the real world. I would suggest that his announcement should be interpreted to mean, "The reality of 83% of anything I say is 'virtual.'"

83% of nothing is certainly something.

Marketing is marketing, but in all fairness no consumers really even have VR headsets yet. I could see a distinction between VR for gaming or movies as well.

I've never heard of the Global VR System Market, nor any products that AMD sell to us Joes that provide VR.
Since they made it up, its not so good that they have already lost 17% of their own market.
:p

Yeah sadly the statement about owning 83% was devoid of any substance :)
Maybe not so much directed at consumers ;)

Nothing like having 83% of a market that doesn't exist yet. We will see if that number stands a year from now.

I've never heard of the Global VR System Market, nor any products that AMD sell to us Joes that provide VR.
Since they made it up, its not so good that they have already lost 17% of their own market.
:p

:D I hate it when that happens.

Read a followup on Fudzilla just now that sheds some light.

For the HTC Vive or the Oculus. you need a high end system, enthusiast-class add-in boards (AIBs) and a Core i7 PC / high end eight core AMD FX CPU to qualify. Peddie believes that there are some 10.4 million of systems out there capable of providing a good VR experience.

He also thinks that Higher performance VR-ready PC systems are currently dominated by Nvidia. "Given the faster upgrade cycles, we expect the segment to grow rapidly."

If you don’t want to use PC Sony PlayStation 4 is an alternative. Sony should provide its PlayStation VR in October. So far there are 36 million people who own a PlayStation 4. This number is likely to increase by October too.

If you add these two numbers the TAM or the Total Amount of Market for dedicated HMD (Oculus and HTC Vive) you get 46.4 million.

"Given that AMD makes the GPU in the PlayStation 4, and is a supplier to the PC Enthusiast segment, we calculate that AMD-powered systems currently represent 83 per cent of the TAM for dedicated VR HMDs." Peddie claimed.

Most of our readers don’t need to be reminded that the GPU performance of three year old architecture in a console is definitely inferior to a modern GPU such as Fiji X or Geforce GTX 900 series. Not all of these 46.4 million users will buy a Virtual Reality glasses either.

The good news for AMD is that their GPUs are inside of 83 percent of these 46.4 million, making the Total Amount of Market for AMD quite high. That is a good head start but if you only look at the discrete HMD market, for Oculus and Vive, Nvidia will be in four out of five systems.

So, estimated PC installs plus Playstation 4 gives AMD 83% of the POTENTIAL VR market, but the VR unit for the PS4 doesn't even come out until October. Taking only the existing installed base of PCs with GPUs that can handle VR, nVidia has 80% of the potential market. Roy, Roy, Roy....tsk, tsk, tsk.....

83% of a non-existent/miniscule niche market....good one.
AMD should rather invest in something which is not a fad...

83% of a non-existent/miniscule niche market....good one.
AMD should rather invest in something which is not a fad...

I agree on the first half of your post 100%. It's very much niche right now. However, I don't believe it's a fad this time around. It's had its false starts, but now it's viable, and I believe it will take off. This is the beginning of the proper start to the industry IMO. AR too. With so many usable options, and types of content, non-gaming uses (more on the AR side than VR) I don't think it's going away this time.

I agree on the first half of your post 100%. It's very much niche right now. However, I don't believe it's a fad this time around. It's had its false starts, but now it's viable, and I believe it will take off. This is the beginning of the proper start to the industry IMO. AR too. With so many usable options, and types of content, non-gaming uses (more on the AR side than VR) I don't think it's going away this time.

I would think this has a bright future, especially AR. I can see 5 years from now, everyone will be walking around with goggles, saying, "You mean you aren't reading your e-mails on one side of your FOV and news feeds on the other like everyone else? Get with it!" Like how life without a smartphone is unthinkable for many now and was mostly a daydream just 10 years ago.

Seriously, think about it--GPS/Nav is overlaying a flashing green arrow to your destination on the sidewalk in front of you, people you "know" online and pass on the street have little flashing stars over their heads, glance at a restaurant and their animated multimedia menu appears (or at least an icon to launch it). It's coming.

I'd prefer it was built into my eyes. :D Goggles look silly.

I think the 'second generation' of VR will be direct-fire photons, as the technology exists and is portable. it will GREATLY reduce the size of the headset.

I'm excited just for the horror game prospects!

Back