AMD supplies FX cpu to FM2 platform

thats my screenshot! haha

Here is a non shitty pic of cpu-z and a pic of the cpu if anyone cares

166xefq.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/25q96x3.jpg

Last edited:
Derp, didn't even look closely at the screenshot, just saw 4 cores.

normally i wouldn't buy AMD but i built a cheap plex media server, this is good enough for me. And it was cheap with 8GB ram.

Is this AMD's new "strategy"? Slap an enthusiast branding on mainstream low-compute-power parts...and hope enthusiast types are too fucking stupid to notice?

This is actually very good. 4.3Ghz, 1.104 VCore, 65 Watt TDP. :D Of course, I will want a Steamroller core first though. This is definitely promising though. Also, it is in an OEM computer, what did you expect, a Intel 3930k?

This is actually very good. 4.3Ghz, 1.104 VCore, 65 Watt TDP. :D Of course, I will want a Steamroller core first though. This is definitely promising though. Also, it is in an OEM computer, what did you expect, a Intel 3930k?

12 - 16 cores or even just an upgrade. Saving electricity is NOT an upgrade.

Very misleading practice by AMD. It isn't an FX. They just slapped the FX label on an older generation APU. It's not what we know as FX at all.

12 - 16 cores or even just an upgrade. Saving electricity is NOT an upgrade.

Says the folks that trumpet Intel's lower TDP. :rolleyes: :p Yes, actually, this is an upgrade over what was out before. The fact that AMD is getting better with their TDP is a huge step forward in the right direction.

Once again, this is OEM where TDP is king. Better TDP than the FX 4350, faster too, and definitely a step in the right direction. (Of course, people want AMD to jump from where they are to 2020 tech today which is just.......)

Very misleading practice by AMD. It isn't an FX. They just slapped the FX label on an older generation APU. It's not what we know as FX at all.

It is an FX because they say it is an FX. (In their cpu line up, it is a fast quad core.)

Better TDP than the FX 4350, faster too, and definitely a step in the right direction.

Thats probably situationally dependent. The additional L3 cache may give the edge to the FX-4350 in gaming even down 100mhz.

They will do everything but add more modules. Of course I doubt the vrm's on the FM2+ mobo's could handle more anyway without catching fire. Not that that is AMD's fault.

well, we have an "FX" product on an FMx platform now.

anyone taking bets on how long it will take for AMD to follow this up, in effect broadening FM2+ from mid-range to mid-high?

I dunno, it has the same aura of disappointment that FX has become known for in the last few years.

That being said, they probably just want to retire the Athlon naming for apus with disabled igpu.

well, we have an "FX" product on an FMx platform now.

anyone taking bets on how long it will take for AMD to follow this up, in effect broadening FM2+ from mid-range to mid-high?

Probably on the next socket with the next high performance die shrink on DDR4.

nothing will happen till excavator is out. it is likely we will see a 20nm 8 core + 8 gpu core FX part on the fm3 socket supporting ddr4 memory.

There is just a lot of things which can not be done by AMD for some reason , we won't see a new cpu for the AM3+ platform (meaning excavator) . But we still do not know what is the reasoning behind it except cash flow,

When will AMD announce either the end of the cpu desktop market and only APU for desktops? I can't see AMD selling Beema or Mullins , Temas never got of the ground for the intended market.

This of course was not the FX CPU we were waiting for,

interesting.

but meh.

I know AMD hasn't ditched the FX series yet. They even announced they didn't. Its just they haven't announced what exactly it will be and when it come out. I'd be willing to bet they have a AM4 platform getting ready to go. I hope they announce something soon.

interesting.

but meh.

I know AMD hasn't ditched the FX series yet. They even announced they didn't. Its just they haven't announced what exactly it will be and when it come out. I'd be willing to bet they have a AM4 platform getting ready to go. I hope they announce something soon.

I'm willling to bet they do not.

In fact all AMD declared was that The current AM3+ chips will continue to be produced. Amid all the public worry about enthusiast AMD being dead AMD could have said anything to light hopes...instead they only announced that the current AM3+ will continue to be produced.

I'm willling to bet they do not.

In fact all AMD declared was that The current AM3+ chips will continue to be produced. Amid all the public worry about enthusiast AMD being dead AMD could have said anything to light hopes...instead they only announced that the current AM3+ will continue to be produced.
And, that could mean anything.

It could be interpreted as:
"We'll continue producing AM3+ sockets and related 900-series chipsets for a set amount of time, but we won't add new processors that support that platform."

"When the time comes then we will discontinue producing AM3+ related products."

And, that could mean anything.

It could be interpreted as:
"We'll continue producing AM3+ sockets and related 900-series chipsets for a set amount of time, but we won't add new processors that support that platform."

"When the time comes then we will discontinue producing AM3+ related products."

In any case, the one thing most certainly not said was "Get ready for AM4" or "We have new toys for enthusiasts up our sleeves". In an era where people are quick to market campaigns and teasing public...and when AMD knows its fans are crossing an enough line...they did exactly nothing to lessen their worries.

No its people wanting Instant Gratifications LOL

We are moving WAY to fast. Nothing is getting optimized anymore. Just MOA POWA !!! NOW !!!

I really don't know what anyone was expecting... The roadmaps that have been available for ages made it obvious there wouldn't be any 3/4 module parts being produced for FM2(+) or the server platforms for 1P systems, so obviously they wouldn't make such a part out of nowhere just for enthusiasts.

This chip in particular is nothing more than a re-branded Athlon x4 760k. No idea why they gave it the FX name, but it's an OEM-only solution, so it's not like it's relevant to anyone here anyway.

I really don't know what anyone was expecting... The roadmaps that have been available for ages made it obvious there wouldn't be any 3/4 module parts being produced for FM2(+) or the server platforms for 1P systems, so obviously they wouldn't make such a part out of nowhere just for enthusiasts.

This chip in particular is nothing more than a re-branded Athlon x4 760k. No idea why they gave it the FX name, but it's an OEM-only solution, so it's not like it's relevant to anyone here anyway.

We know this already. :) It just means that AMD is not viable at this time when choosing a processor. Well at least not for me. Now I was thinking about building my 5 year old niece a PC. One of the new APU models would be perfect for that. Until then I'll keep using what I have and wait for the new DDR4 solutions from Intel to come out.

No its people wanting Instant Gratifications LOL

We are moving WAY to fast. Nothing is getting optimized anymore. Just MOA POWA !!! NOW !!!

Not really instant at all. Intel took 6 years to plan then make/test then sell retail Sandybridge 1155 CPUs. They started work on 1155 in 2005 and nothing was released until 2011. Not sure what AMD's lead time to come up with architecture.

If AMD is designing CPUs instant-gratification style...then that is their problem WRT performance and playing catch-up.

First I was like:
JC3Mu3V.png

than I was like...:
SBupfEz.png

:rolleyes:

Okay it is what Naroongtx said nothing on the roadmap that there was something coming for AM3+ .

But we had the smart ass http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...e_Not_EOL_ing_FX_Line_of_Microprocessors.html

Which is now clear and we can move on. Still waiting on some serious form of attention towards this were not doing any CPU any more for desktop markets. Even a DDR4 solution from AMD won't see any light of day this year.

Back