AMD stops production of Socket 939 Opterons

well, if ur an idiot like that guy in the video cards section bitching about bfg not giving him a rma when he told them that he put a nvsilencer on it...

SixFootDuo said:
Source: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28250

No more enthusiast-frenzy products...

By Theo Valich: Friday 09 December 2005, 14:09
THE LAUNCH of Opterons for Socket 939 was obviously just a smoke in the mirror. The complete stock of Opterons model number 14x and 16x (dual-core) dissapeared from e-tailers and retailers, with hundreds of overclockers buying even six or eight CPU's at the same time. Reason: Opteron, a 1MB L2 cache processor was priced lower than Athlon 64 models with 512KB of L2 cache. Also, those Opteron babies were bad-boys when it comes to cooling, working at 2.7-2.9 GHz with air-cooling - at zero problems, with a lower operating temperature than default-clocked Pentium D 840.

This has come to a close, as we have received a document that goes to show that company has decided to stop production of several different SKU's.

Stopped items from AMD for Q4
SDA2500BXBOX
SDA3100BXBOX
ADA3000BPBOX
ADA3200BPBOX
ADA3500BPBOX
939pin Opterons

You can see that the company has stopped production of Sempr0n 2500+, 3100+ and Athlon 64 3000+, 3200+ and 3500+, all in Processor-In-Box (PIB) format. At the end of the list, all Opterons using Socket 939. Is this a preparation for early Socket M2 launch? µ

AMD is not having only an Opteron shortage, but the same goes for many best-selling AMD products, namely Athlon 64 CPU's. AMD already like Intel and expensive.
I love AMD era socket K7.

I appologize, I means "AMD is not having only an Opteron shortage, but the same goes for many best-selling AMD products, namely Athlon 64 CPU's.
The new AMD already like Intel and expensive. I love AMD era socket K7"

jaelangkung said:
AMD already like Intel, is not having only an Opteron shortage, but the same goes for many best-selling AMD products, namely Athlon 64 CPU's and expensive.

I am not sure what you are saying....are you saying AMD's popular chips are in short supply so they are killing the s939 1xx Opterons for everyone but OEM's?

jaelangkung said:
AMD is not having only an Opteron shortage, but the same goes for many best-selling AMD products, namely Athlon 64 CPU's and expensive. AMD already like Intel and expensive.
shortage?

if theyre cancelling the opterons, its cause we're buying htem, overclocking htem to high heaven, and preventing AMD's higher priced parts from selling. the 3000+ and 3200+ are probably being discontenued due to the fact taht they are no longer economical to sell at such a low pricepoint.

socket k7? youve got your termonology all screwed up...

what do you mean by "namely athlon 64 CPUs and expensive"?

Wow if people were buying 6 or 8, AMD should have kept them but just sold them at a slightly higher price. But maybe they want to be able to say 45% of the market is Athlon64 or something...

who knows. That sucks.

EvilCloudStrife said:
hey smartguy, how do they know what heatsink i used, what i overclocked it to, what thermal paste i used, and what motherboard i used? they dont. soo.. umm, your logic is flawed

no reason to be an ass, he's simply stating that the warranty conditions are very strict and that most people have probably voided thier warranty anyway. This news about the opterons makes alittle sad, I managed to kill my 146 and I'm not sure if I'm gonna get enough free cash in time to buy another one.

mavalpha said:
I thought those weren't just rumors. Notice how OCZ and everyone else is switching to TCC5, and explaining that it does just as well if properly screened...
nope, tccd is flowing freely:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=74242

i think it got kinda tight for a while, but it's definitly still around, you also owe me a pm about some ram :p

mattjw916 said:
i was joking... ;)
hehe ;)

sorry for getting kinda ot about ram in the amd forum though.. ram has kinda taken over my life in the last couple of days.. i'll make a return to amd forums eventually <3

Very interesting topic. Very important I might add. So lets keep it drama and sucker free.

why doesnt amd just lock the multipliers on the 939 opterons, since no company with workstations needs to overclock their processors?

yes im bitter that i purchased a 4400+ x2 two weeks before the 939 opterons came out

Big Fat Duck said:
why doesnt amd just lock the multipliers on the 939 opterons, since no company with workstations needs to overclock their processors?
because the s939 opterons supposedly support something similar to cool and quiet :D

Big Fat Duck said:

yes im bitter that i purchased a 4400+ x2 two weeks before the 939 opterons came out
They are locked on the way up.
They can't be locked on the way down (underclocking) since they use the CnQ

jaelangkung said:
AMD is not having only an Opteron shortage, but the same goes for many best-selling AMD products, namely Athlon 64 CPU's. AMD already like Intel and expensive.

I appologize, I means "AMD is not having only an Opteron shortage, but the same goes for many best-selling AMD products, namely Athlon 64 CPU's.
The new AMD already like Intel and expensive. I love AMD era socket K7"

I believe what he's saying is, AMD is having shortages and are becoming more expensive, like Intel; and that he loves AMD's K7 era. (presumably when AMD was less expensive.)

amd's chips are no more expensive now... they just have a better high end. semprons are still cheap.

what shortages?

I bought a 4400+ X2 ... and caught on to the whole Opteron craze ... so sold mine and actually made money off it over eBay

SixFootDuo said:
I bought a 4400+ X2 ... and caught on to the whole Opteron craze ... so sold mine and actually made money off it over eBay
I too bought a X2 4400+ then caught onto the opteron craze.....but instead I just decided to build a second rig :D

amd sucks, just buy a intel chip. they are clearly the better option for any type of computing.

only poor noobs buy amd.

Scotch77 said:
amd sucks, just buy a intel chip. they are clearly the better option for any type of computing.

only poor noobs buy amd.
Trying to make sure there are some left over for you by trying to scare people away? :p

This is all bullshit. I am with Dave in saying that "nothing" has come through the distribution channel stating that this would happen.

First of all the main reason 939 3000 and 3200's are slowling being EOLed is because AMD realizes that the majority of consumers purchase those products and they are trying to force their mainstream customer to purchase at a higher price point. It's simple business strategy in that they are about to release a higher end product and must bring the bottom end up along with it.

As far as Opterons not being supported any longer, that is just silly. AMD is on vacation right now through Jan 5th, we shall know what will happen after that. Must be nice to have all that time off.

Scotch77 said:

only poor noobs buy amd.

I'm with you on this one. If my 2.6ghz dual core Opteron didn't totally smoke everything that Intel has to offer below $3000 for the cpu (basically everything short of an Itanium) I'd totally go with a Paxville or Smithfield.

robberbaron said:
I'm with you on this one. If my 2.6ghz dual core Opteron didn't totally smoke everything that Intel has to offer below $3000 for the cpu (basically everything short of an Itanium) I'd totally go with a Paxville or Smithfield.
rofl.

ignorance is bliss ;)

I am pretty sure that after the opteron craze people won't budge for any CPU that doesn't do 3 GHZ on air for less than 150 $.

What do they mean by PIB (Processor in box)
is that the retail version

If so what does this matter. I can go to New Egg and get an OEM version of almost any chip they sell.

So what will the lowest chip be for the 939 A64?

yes, it means retail version. retail version comes with a warranty, although technically the warranty is voided if you use something other than the stock hsf, their thermal pad, or if you oc at all. but there's no way for them to know unless you tell them.

it matters because they're not going to be giving newegg ANY opteron cpu's, retail or OEM. so you won't be able to buy them once they run out of their current stock or what they have left whenever AMD stops shipping them out to retailers.

Ok late to the game as always, what is the best one to look for and should I return my FX57? Is it 165 and is that single core or double, as you can see I am very new to AMD :)

decapitator said:
Ok late to the game as always, what is the best one to look for and should I return my FX57? Is it 165 and is that single core or double, as you can see I am very new to AMD :)

165 is a dual core. The highest single core Opteron are the 154/254/854. The 165 at 2.6ghz should give you very similar performance as a 2.8ghz FX57. In fact, my 2.6ghz 165 beat my 3050MHz Opteron 144 in Aquamark with the same video card, plus the 165 was running with slower ram.

andrew911tt said:
What do they mean by PIB (Processor in box)
is that the retail version

yes.

andrew911tt said:
If so what does this matter. I can go to New Egg and get an OEM version of almost any chip they sell.

not for long. New Egg is getting cut off from Opteron 1xx OEM supply.

andrew911tt said:
So what will the lowest chip be for the 939 A64?

i believe that 3500+ or something will be the bottom end. could be wrong.

dave

mattjw916 said:
all this could be a plot to drive up demand and prices...

*dons tin-foil hat*
*remembers reading on slashdot that tin foil doesn't work... heads for the underground bunker...*

*priceless*

ahem, but back OT

As far as i know, just because a manufacturer has stopped production, does not mean that they will run out of stock for warranties and such.
They usually keep enough in stock to guarantee warranties for a while. based on how often they use this stock, they might release some back into the market if the warranty stock is too large (but they will probably release them as OEMs)

robberbaron said:

ROFL - now THAT is priceless! HAHAHAHAHA

Enjoicube said:
I am pretty sure that after the opteron craze people won't budge for any CPU that doesn't do 3 GHZ on air for less than 150 $.

QFT
im not gonna spend more on new hardware that doesnt surpass my current rig significantly. I mean WTF? same clock potential, same cache but now i gotta buy a new MB and new, more expensive ram?

i wonder if they are closing off opties because people are having too high expectations. OC'ing used to be a delighter, something good but really extra. Now its a satisfier, something that HAS to be included or the customer is disappointed.

for me my new expectations are M2 $200 low end chip, 3ghz on air no prob across all weeks /steppings. $300 for dual core stuff. (not sure if M2 is all dual core)

strikeout said:
for me my new expectations are M2 $200 low end chip, 3ghz on air no prob across all weeks /steppings. $300 for dual core stuff. (not sure if M2 is all dual core)

AFAIK there'll be Manila 128 & 256kB Single-core Semprons, Orleans 512kB & 1MB Single-core Athlon 64s and Windsor 2x512kB & 2x1MB Dual-core Athlon 64 X2s / FXs (The code names might be wrong though)

Raudulfr said:
AFAIK there'll be Manila 128 & 256kB Single-core Semprons, Orleans 512kB & 1MB Single-core Athlon 64s and Windsor 2x512kB & 2x1MB Dual-core Athlon 64 X2s / FXs (The code names might be wrong though)
Usually when cores are mentioned they usually indicated the amount of cache in the L2 position. 939 for example Venice = 512MB and San Diego = 1MB. I shouldn't try to push my luck, but I think we may see 2MB L2 caches with the advent of M2. :)

GFreeman9 said:
Usually when cores are mentioned they usually indicated the amount of cache in the L2 position. 939 for example Venice = 512MB and San Diego = 1MB. I shouldn't try to push my luck, but I think we may see 2MB L2 caches with the advent of M2. :)

Info gathered from this link.

strikeout said:
im not gonna spend more on new hardware that doesnt surpass my current rig significantly.
shouldn't that always be the case, opterons or no?

GFreeman9 said:
I shouldn't try to push my luck, but I think we may see 2MB L2 caches with the advent of M2. :)
toledo ;)

I am in a weird situation, either I want to get a single core opty and OC the s*** outta it, or I want to get a 3800 X2 and keep it at stock.

Enjoicube said:
I am in a weird situation, either I want to get a single core opty and OC the s*** outta it, or I want to get a 3800 X2 and keep it at stock.

Why not OC the X2 3800+? They hit 2.4-2.5 without much effort.

Also, if the 3500+ are the bottom of the barrel, when do they hit the $140 price point :D.

3200's are the bottom of the barrel now

in regauards to you question Kirbyrj, I either get a good CPU and OC the worse one or get a worse CPU and OC it till it is better and use the good one as backup, remember that I don't have any money for any failure, so before I OC i have got to be sure that I have enough spare parts in case anything goes wrong. And you gotta understand, I am NO expert on the subject of overclocking, so i've got to expect something to go wrong.

Enjoicube said:
3200's are the bottom of the barrel now

in regauards to you question Kirbyrj, I either get a good CPU and OC the worse one or get a worse CPU and OC it till it is better and use the good one as backup, remember that I don't have any money for any failure, so before I OC i have got to be sure that I have enough spare parts in case anything goes wrong. And you gotta understand, I am NO expert on the subject of overclocking, so i've got to expect something to go wrong.

Very rarely do you blow up a chip anymore by failed OCing ;).

yeah, but even shortened lifespan, I still only make 5 bucks a week, I am getting the money to buy this by building Comps for people/fixing comps. I am also getting christmas money PLEASE COME SOON :p .

Back