AMD Stock Downgraded, Bitmain Releasing Ethereum ASIC Miner

So its only going to get worse for ETH. It already lost more like 60% of its peak value.
ASIC's don't really affect the value of the coin per se' Just the difficulty of mining -- which makes for less profit to existing miners...Most often it actually seems to positively affect value...

More coins mined temporarily = more trading temporarily. More trading temporarily increases coin value on the market. maybe all temporary --- or maybe not??!!?? as more people acquire/invest that can permanently raise value of a coin relative to others that didn't have the increased trading fluctuation...it's a crapshoot.

Well, how would you respond to someone wishing that your investment crushes and so on. No one is putting any labels on anyone. If you cant call it the way you see it you r in the wrong forum homie.

Guys this is fud. 1. Ddr3 mem bandwidth isn't anything spectacular even with 32 gigs worth. 2. Do you really think someone would spend the time developing a asic for a coin with developers as active as ether? The answer is no because they could change the algo to make it resistant to this asic in a heartbeat.

Mining in general has never truly required a crud load of memory "speed" whereas they can require the "bandwidth" no taking into account how well the gpu, fpga or asic in question is designed to load the memory in the first place..my extra shitty jalapeno was mining 7+ GHS at bitcoin using ~50w worth of power (unit alone. declock entire system would use maybe ~220w combined tops with monitor) and had next to no memory to "worry about" whereas to compete with GPU at this point you needed 4-6 top of the line gpu using somewhere in the range of ~2kw to "match it" at best all of which had very high end memory speed/bandwidth.

just saying, the amount of memory or the type of at least when it comes to certain things really has little to do with it, if they can feed this memory properly it becomes about efficiency more then rawspeed to prevent bottlenecks (capacity, efficiency, boot strap on the memory whatever) This is why for the "longest time" Radeons in general are superior to Geforce offerings (when it comes to hashing performance among other things) because they could use their "design" vs needing raw grunt and crazy speed in regards to shaders, memory amount, memory type etc etc.

Efficiency in regards to performance is not always in regards to power consumed or how fast it is "ticking" really depends completely on how well it was designed to use the horsepower it DOES have, with mining especially, it is a very set chunk of "rules" so, it can "easily" be optimized for in the first place, and, well, 32gb of "slow" DDR3 (which technically is faster than GDDR last time I checked in "general") is still 32gb so that is A LOT of capacity, if this were a ram drive, that still is a great chunk of work it can "chew on"

ASIC are very "tricked out" devices by their nature of design..

Anyways...yeh, kind of pissed at all these analyst rejects, most of them seem to shit on AMD when they are not doing enough quickly enough and when they go from more or less ashes in the fire to blazing forth like a phoenix in the span of a year they still shit on them, yet, their "competitors" even when they are proven to be pulling nasty bullshit their stock price seems to go UP for no other reason than they are not AMD....I just do not get it, Intel or Nv can go up by $100-$200 million per quarter and stock price goes up $30-$60-$100 in a few hours where AMD can go from being in the red ~$200 million to profitable ~$1bln and stock price beyond first burst has only adjusted up and down like $5...ffs lol....

If anything last I checked Pascal is/was just as affected by "mining boom" than all other previous offering since more or less Radeon 4k series was released, that is Pascal because of its design was/is actually pretty decent at doing "mining" so therefore is AMD stock "tanked" than so should have Nvidia, did they, really? I doubt it, they want it to drop to $200 per share, probably blipped maybe $20 tops and tommorow will be right back where it was (IMO unacceptable to beat on AMD head when their main competition can do no wrong, 2016/2017/2018 has been a very good year overall for Intel, AMD AND Nvidia, not just 2 of the 3)

This doesn't really affect ETH. It's going to proof of stake in the near future, which means no mining.

POS does not mean "cannot mine" but rather there still is the need of mining, not the coins but rather the transaction data from that point on, if you hold the coins you make more does not mean that is the only "money" to be made from that point on (that being said, absolutely want to be the holder of them for the "stake" vs the small amount from the transaction data)

Least this is the way I understood it when I was into mining for a few years.

It's rumored that if asics come to ETH, then the devs would consider moving to Proof of Stake instead of Proof of Work. But that's likely to have the same net result for ETH miners because ASICs would still replace all the AMD GPUs currently doing this work.

The Monero fork instead would supposedly just brick the Bitmain Asics -- and still continue to be a proof of work algorithm.

I'd be curious if they'd do it. I think Litecoin said they'd do it years ago if a Scrypt asic came out. They never changed anything once they did.

They'd probably only have to do it once as ASIC designers don't like to throw work away, so they'd be worried about going in again.

ASIC are very "tricked out" devices by their nature of design..

And by their namesake. Application-Specific Intregrated Circuit.

It's funny to talk to some miners who don't know what ASIC actually means. Technically, a GPU is an ASIC designed for graphics (shader rendering, etc.) it just happens to be that the math ops and architecture for that are good for other things.

It's too bad Halt & Catch Fire ended, they could have done another season on the graphics card revolution.

Last edited:
But according to miners, GPU mining is a drop in the bucket! So why would it impact AMD stocks all of sudden?
Is this CTS-labs again..

But wait... nobody would EVER buy a used GPU that has mined because it's been thrashed, trashed and all of its life is gone...

Vendors know this, look up the warranty on mining specific gpu skus, they aren't long.

Anyways...yeh, kind of pissed at all these analyst rejects, most of them seem to shit on AMD when they are not doing enough quickly enough and when they go from more or less ashes in the fire to blazing forth like a phoenix in the span of a year they still shit on them, yet, their "competitors" even when they are proven to be pulling nasty bullshit their stock price seems to go UP for no other reason than they are not AMD....I just do not get it, Intel or Nv can go up by $100-$200 million per quarter and stock price goes up $30-$60-$100 in a few hours where AMD can go from being in the red ~$200 million to profitable ~$1bln and stock price beyond first burst has only adjusted up and down like $5...ffs lol....

If anything last I checked Pascal is/was just as affected by "mining boom" than all other previous offering since more or less Radeon 4k series was released, that is Pascal because of its design was/is actually pretty decent at doing "mining" so therefore is AMD stock "tanked" than so should have Nvidia, did they, really? I doubt it, they want it to drop to $200 per share, probably blipped maybe $20 tops and tommorow will be right back where it was (IMO unacceptable to beat on AMD head when their main competition can do no wrong, 2016/2017/2018 has been a very good year overall for Intel, AMD AND Nvidia, not just 2 of the 3)

Nivida is so much larger and more Diversified than AMD's graphics division that there's almost no comparison possible. While similar factors in the market impact both of them, Nvidia is substantially better equipped to deal with a reduced crypto-customer footprint.

As of today AMD is valued at ~$10B, Nvidia ~$150B with Intel around $250B. Apples/Oranges

I will pay exactly 1 cent for a used graphics card...I have a hard enough time with new ones after a year or three, and my type of gaming hardly stresses them.

i hear you, but man my last 3 *cough* asus *eh hem, cough* cards are still running in someone i knows' system.

A lot of people really want AMD's stock to drop. Makes sense since both Intel and Nvidia are competitors to AMD.

Hallelujah! Praise the Gaben for PC gaming will once again have cheap cards! Oh lawd!

So its only going to get worse for ETH. It already lost more like 60% of its peak value.

That peak value doesn't really mean anything to current value. It was during a time of a _still_ very accessible DAG, too many new coins, and a significant pump on Bitcoin. It's finally back to a sane level (around 240-380 USD).

While we acknowledge this call is early, as significant GPU channel replenish is needed, we estimate ~20% of AMDs sales are Ethereum related.”

Wonder where they pulled that estimate from.

Question from a complete crypto noob: Could AMD just get in the ASIC game and begin to make their own? They have vast experience making SoC's and chips and have the design knowledge as well as their ready access to fab operations. Seems like they could do that and still keep revenue from mining operations doing that while also reducing demand for GPU's since an ASIC would (i'm assuming) be much more efficient. Surely they've considered it internally?

I don't think you will see all those 570-580's anytime soon. A great portion of 580 users have already moved to cryptonight. A 580 gets you high 700 to low 800. at 70 watts in XMR. Nothing will change. :D

Nope nothing has changed since crypto hit it's highest point. Many more people mining and the value drops everyday with no reprieve in sight.

How is this news exactly? Stocks get upgraded and downgraded all the time, all giving it exposure does is give those fucking maggot lizzards more power to continue this detrimental practice of control. It's a fucking sham scam. Who fucking cares what they think. First of all, the financial industry (including media) was working overtime trying to tie AMD stock price to crypto mining, and when the CEO of AMD was asked she said it contributed mid single digit percent of the graphics division sales. Very small amount, yet it went in one ear and out the other, completely ignored by everyone so they could carry on with their little scam and claim the sky is falling if there is even the slightest hint of crypto dropping. Hell it wouldn't be too hard to manufacture an article and claim crypto doom and gloom is on the horizon, and under the picture they've painted trigger obscure names like this to get their 15 minutes of fame by downgrading and getting a ton of exposure. Please don't play into this fucking mass control these fuckers have over the entire population. Doesn't matter what stock it is, your playing right into their hand.

How is this news exactly? Stocks get upgraded and downgraded all the time, all giving it exposure does is give those fucking maggot lizzards more power to continue this detrimental practice of control. It's a fucking sham scam. Who fucking cares what they think. First of all, the financial industry (including media) was working overtime trying to tie AMD stock price to crypto mining, and when the CEO of AMD was asked she said it contributed mid single digit percent of the graphics division sales. Very small amount, yet it went in one ear and out the other, completely ignored by everyone so they could carry on with their little scam and claim the sky is falling if there is even the slightest hint of crypto dropping. Hell it wouldn't be too hard to manufacture an article and claim crypto doom and gloom is on the horizon, and under the picture they've painted trigger obscure names like this to get their 15 minutes of fame by downgrading and getting a ton of exposure. Please don't play into this fucking mass control these fuckers have over the entire population. Doesn't matter what stock it is, your playing right into their hand.

Truth, I hardly see how something that may impact the price and availability of high end graphics cards, and additionally the long term economic viability of one of only two manufactures of said graphics cards in the world, would remotely interest us readers of a computer enthusiast website.

Question from a complete crypto noob: Could AMD just get in the ASIC game and begin to make their own? They have vast experience making SoC's and chips and have the design knowledge as well as their ready access to fab operations. Seems like they could do that and still keep revenue from mining operations doing that while also reducing demand for GPU's since an ASIC would (i'm assuming) be much more efficient. Surely they've considered it internally?

ASIC miners are a race to the bottom and not sustainable products. Once they hit the market, they rapidly devalue when mining profits go in the tank. Most of the miner companies only take crypto for payment, so you definitely aren’t ever getting a refund when you realize you new $3000 won’t pay for itself.

Siacoin miners launched two months ago people were making over $100/day, now it’s down to $5 as one example.

ASIC miners are a race to the bottom and not sustainable products. Once they hit the market, they rapidly devalue when mining profits go in the tank. Most of the miner companies only take crypto for payment, so you definitely aren’t ever getting a refund when you realize you new $3000 won’t pay for itself.

Siacoin miners launched two months ago people were making over $100/day, now it’s down to $5 as one example.

nor should they issue a refund if they deliver the product. asic manufacturers make plenty but its a border line scam. almost all asics you could buy will be mined on before they ship them out. the only reason they pre order them is to trick dumb people into buying somthing that will be basicly usless by the time they ship them. they may have the asic in hand by the time they even offer preorder.

Which we already know an anonymous source **cough** Intel **cough** paid for CTS-Labs to spread fud against AMD. So who's to say this isn't another attempt?

this has almost nothing to do with amd. it was originally fud to try to affect ethereums price. (it failed) this new artical is most likley just trying to generate clicks from people who dont keep up with every detail of crypto and its working ( rgMekanic should feel bad for spreading fud :p ) I dont think anyones main purpuse was to devalue amd but the amd stock is stupid in the way it moves.

Good. I have no problem with miners, cryptomining, or cryptominers buying ASICs. I have a problem with them hording components that are essential for building desktop computers like GPUs and RAM. I know that gamers complain the loudest, but the greed, selfishness, and hording of the miners is affecting more than just gamers. They have made it impossible to build a desktop computer for a sane price. Seriously fuck you assholes. You guys are the computing equivalent of that dickhead who buys every bottle of mustard in the grocery store because they figured out they could use multiple coupons.

Last edited:
Well, how would you respond to someone wishing that your investment crushes and so on. No one is putting any labels on anyone. If you cant call it the way you see it you r in the wrong forum homie.

Actually, I have to wear that one. I did say I hope cryptocurrency goes away. Now it wasn't because I have a hard time getting a card or payed more than I thought I should. It's the simple cause and effect of it, that there are huge resources being wasted just so people can shuffle a security that represents no tangible product, no corresponding employment conditions. It's like the virus of the investment world.

If I invest in AMD, I'm investing in a business and that stock represents more than just what I can make off a good trade. The stock represents the products and the jobs and what that enables. It's people who go to school, work and earn, improve themselves, the tech developments etc that are behind it, the business that it's advances enable. And as they produce better and better products, data centers get smaller, use less power, do more, cost less. It's work that needs doing, it's business and economies are built on it, and it is improving.

So what does a coin represent? How many people were employed to create that coin, how will that coin make people's lives better?

Like I said, I'm not against someone doing a little mining to help make a buck. As long as it's a thing then I can't fault someone for taking advantage. But I also think it's something that the governments of the world need to shut down.

Just being straight up with you. And when I was talking about labels I bet you get it, even if you feel like you're on the other end of it.

Good. I have no problem with miners, cryptomining, or cryptominers buying ASICs. I have a problem with them hording components that are essential for building desktop computers like GPUs and RAM. I know that gamers complain the loudest, but the greed, selfishness, and hording of the miners is affecting more than just miners. They have made it impossible to build a desktop computer for a sane price. Seriously fuck you assholes.

issues is asics are borderline scams the way companies market and sell them. that leaves most people who want to get into mining (for many reasons) to go to gpus. intrestingly enough this is one of the few times in history that a gpu can actually pay for itself. there have been plently of gamers who got there gpu for free as a result of this. and mining isnt the reason ram is overpriced. and its not impossible people just dont know what to look for unless you are truly hardheaded and are only willing to use a extremly spacific part for no good reason you can still build a gaming pc in almost any preformance range.

Actually, I have to wear that one. I did say I hope cryptocurrency goes away. Now it wasn't because I have a hard time getting a card or payed more than I thought I should. It's the simple cause and effect of it, that there are huge resources being wasted just so people can shuffle a security that represents no tangible product, no corresponding employment conditions. It's like the virus of the investment world.

If I invest in AMD, I'm investing in a business and that stock represents more than just what I can make off a good trade. The stock represents the products and the jobs and what that enables. It's people who go to school, work and earn, improve themselves, the tech developments etc that are behind it, the business that it's advances enable. And as they produce better and better products, data centers get smaller, use less power, do more, cost less. It's work that needs doing, it's business and economies are built on it, and it is improving.

So what does a coin represent? How many people were employed to create that coin, how will that coin make people's lives better?

Like I said, I'm not against someone doing a little mining to help make a buck. As long as it's a thing then I can't fault someone for taking advantage. But I also think it's something that the governments of the world need to shut down.

Just being straight up with you. And when I was talking about labels I bet you get it, even if you feel like you're on the other end of it.

thing is you cant really get rid of crypto without drastically effecting the internet as we know it today. cant just pass a law making it illegal and its impossible to destroy it.

thing is you cant really get rid of crypto without drastically effecting the internet as we know it today. cant just pass a law making it illegal and its impossible to destroy it.

Yes, you can make a law making it illegal.

You can join other countries to do the same.

You can levy trade sanctions against countries that refuse.

Why is it you think that you can't because you most certainly can.

And it wouldn't effect the internet in any meaningful way, get real.

Yes, you can make a law making it illegal.

You can join other countries to do the same.

You can levy trade sanctions against countries that refuse.

Why is it you think that you can't because you most certainly can.

And it wouldn't effect the internet in any meaningful way, get real.

a law wouldnt do to much for crypto other then cause a drop in value. it can still be traded for objects of value.

in the countries it is illegal its still transferred around/ exchanged for things of value without any real consequences because crypto is pretty good for exactly that

some contries actually support crypto noticing that preventing it is more futile then the war on drugs. go tell russia to ban crypto and see how they react

if its illegal i can still send it to whoever i like for whatever i like with nothing really preventing that

actually stoping the movment of cryptos would require quite a shift from the curent way the internet is. im not talking about a bs law that would effect nothing.

I traded AMD stock a few times, each time with profit but they were small trades.
I do think AMD stock is over valued at the moment.

So, an analyst can downgrade stock across the board, all on his or her own? One person can say, Hey, I think this stock needs to be downgraded, and down it goes?
I checked out their website because I've never heard of them. Front page has a picture of their employees working in jeans. I like that in a tech/dev team, but doesn't instill much confidence in the financial world.

But yeah, if you follow the markets at all there are plenty of articles from Marketwatch or other bullshit market news sites pumping analyst upgrades/downgrades. Usually there is a follow up article about the downgrade and an irrational move in the stock price. Bunch of crooks.

ASIC for ETH would be a HUGE strike against AMD cards (and to a lesser extent Nvidia -- simply because Nvidia mines other algorithms more profitably than ETH).

I'll be interested to see the hash rate on this new ETH miner.

For those not keeping up on mining or this type of tech --- in comparison the ASIC I bought from Bitmain for sia coin, the A3, mined the equivalent of ~275, 1080TI GPUs. The A3 costs $2,750, and only used 1,300 watts of power.
By contrast 275 1080TI cards costs $192,000 and used 50,000 watts of power (in typical undervolt/overclock). Basically overnight the first batch of Bitmain ASICs for sia coin made all GPU mining unprofitable.

Depending on the hash rate of this ASIC, you can prepare to see an absolute deluge of RX470, RX480, RX570 and RX580 cards on the used market.

Probably not too many AMD Vegas will be affected by ETH asics as they are primarily mining cryptonite algorithm.

I added 1 of each of these cards to the Whattomine profitability calculator -
RX470, RX480, RX570, RX580
and currently that 4 card combination is grossing an average of $4.15 per day (net $2.92 after electricity cost) over the last 7 days mining ETH.

The second highest profitability is Equihash mining Zcash grossing $2.63 (net $1.53)
(ignoring Neoscript because that's so volatile that most people don't mine it - including myself).

Cryptonight is only $1.92 a day (net $.87) That'll be unprofitable after electricity if all the ETH miners switch to it.

http://whattomine.com/coins?utf8=✓&adapt_q_280x=0&adapt_q_380=0&adapt_q_fury=0&adapt_q_470=1&adapt_470=true&adapt_q_480=1&adapt_480=true&adapt_q_570=1&adapt_570=true&adapt_q_580=1&adapt_580=true&adapt_q_vega56=0&adapt_q_vega64=0&adapt_q_750Ti=0&adapt_q_1050Ti=0&adapt_q_10606=0&adapt_q_1070=0&adapt_q_1070Ti=0&adapt_q_1080=0&adapt_q_1080Ti=10&eth=true&factor[eth_hr]=113.6&factor[eth_p]=510.0&grof=true&factor[gro_hr]=66.5&factor[gro_p]=475.0&x11gf=true&factor[x11g_hr]=24.5&factor[x11g_p]=485.0&cn=true&factor[cn_hr]=2780.0&factor[cn_p]=435.0&eq=true&factor[eq_hr]=1100.0&factor[eq_p]=460.0&lre=true&factor[lrev2_hr]=20500.0&factor[lrev2_p]=480.0&ns=true&factor[ns_hr]=3020.0&factor[ns_p]=580.0&lbry=true&factor[lbry_hr]=425.0&factor[lbry_p]=520.0&bk14=true&factor[bk14_hr]=4990.0&factor[bk14_p]=515.0&pas=true&factor[pas_hr]=2470.0&factor[pas_p]=535.0&skh=true&factor[skh_hr]=67.8&factor[skh_p]=445.0&n5=true&factor[n5_hr]=73.0&factor[n5_p]=445.0&factor[l2z_hr]=420.0&factor[l2z_p]=300.0&factor[xn_hr]=3.2&factor[xn_p]=240.0&factor[cost]=0.1&sort=Profitability7&volume=0&revenue=7d&factor[exchanges][]=&factor[exchanges][]=abucoins&factor[exchanges][]=bitfinex&factor[exchanges][]=bittrex&factor[exchanges][]=binance&factor[exchanges][]=cryptopia&factor[exchanges][]=hitbtc&factor[exchanges][]=poloniex&factor[exchanges][]=yobit&dataset=Main&commit=Calculate

To be honest there is not much difference between both cards. People don't just buy AMD cards to mine eth. This will effect both equally, its a fuckin myth people think that AMD cards are only being used to mine eth.

To be honest there is not much difference between both cards. People don't just buy AMD cards to mine eth. This will effect both equally, its a fuckin myth people think that AMD cards are only being used to mine eth.

290s 390s 470s 580s are all most profitable on eth.

290s 390s 470s 580s are all most profitable on eth.

Wrong! I have mined with nvidia cards. Same or better performance with much less wattage. People must not know what they are doing! Its like my friend and his friend said AMD cards are better at mining eth without actually trying for themselves. Don't just go buy a calculator, test the cards yourself. Nvidia cards are damn good at mining eth.

Back