AMD: Still having a hard rtime with MB choice. Looking again for mATX

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm seriously trying to find a case/MB that will fit my build. I'm 90% going with a Ryzen 5 2600, unless people can convince me of something else. I may go with the 5 2600x but I really don;t need more. It's for gaming, and I play mostly Mos games, with the occasional FPS but usually the games I play are fairly easy on the graphics/CPU

Anyway,I'm looking for the absolute smallest case/build I can get. At first I shied away from mATX because I thought I could find some cases that were nearly the size of mATX cases. I did find a couple, but it has been hard going. So, now I am back looking mATX boards.

I think the main problem is that I'm not finding a case to my liking. I want a cube case, and the search goes on. I did find one from Rosewill that is only 15x15x9 inches, and I can turn it on it's side. It will take anATX board, but no room for bottom fans then. Also, for whatever reason, Rosewill decided not to include a front intake filter. That's almost unforgivable, really, because I don't like cleaning tumbleweeds out of my case very month. They did offer one on the top exhaust, though--go figure.

I've seriously scoured Amazon for a mATX or small ATX case and I simply cannot find anything. The Rosewill case is as small as most mATX cases, so i still may go with it and trry to fabricate some sort of clean looking front filter for it.

714LMGUpFZL._AC_SX522_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-CUL...words=rosewill+cullinan&qid=1579660748&sr=8-2

I'm also finding that the mATX boards have a total of two 4 pin sys fans. I'd like to have at least 3. However, if the fan headers can support a high enough voltage, then I can use a Y cable and two fans, then that would be fine. I just don't like having only two sys fans, especially since I have had them blow up on occasion. Then you've left with 1 single sysfan,and have to hook fans to the power supply and fuck all that shit. I mean it's 2020, right?

Anyway, all I need is one graphics card and one add in card, like for wifi, and that;'s it. I do want a really good BIOS fan control system--again, it's 2020.

Any help would be appreciated.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Dust filtration is something that you will probably have to add on to most anything you look at anymore. Personally I skip it and opt for more airflow but I get why people do it.

For smallish ATX cases the Fractal Meshify C, Corsair iCue 220T, Carbide 175R maybe the Darkflash BF1. Basically anything that can hit less than or close to 18in in any direction and fits your aesthetic /price point. The smallest ATX and mATX cases around are the Cerberus and Cerberus X but are also expensive.

mATX cases are a minefield of mostly total crap. The board choice is slim too which is a shame since its a nice sweet spot for expansion and size.

The Rosewill you linked here seems like a cheaper Corsair crystal type which is probably fine once you tweak it to your liking. The Darkflash DLM21 is a nice mATX Fractal Meshify type case that is also cheap so give it a look on Amazon.

My experience with fan splitters has been good for quite some time as i use them in a lot of ITX builds since the boards only have one or two headers other than CPU a lot of the time. mATX is much the same. I even run two 120mm fans of a Y-splitter on the Meg Ace now for cleaner cabling.
Works fine.

I have in the house now on AM4: MSI B450 pro carbon, MSI Meg Ace x570, Asrock B450 itx, and have no issues controlling fans off bios alone in any of these boards.

For a 2600 any of the AM4 mATX boards will handle it all day: Asrock B450m Pro4 (or AC version for wifi) or B450 Steel Legend mATX, Gigabyte B450 Aorus M, Asus Tuf B450M Plus or Pro if you can find it its a tad better vrm wise. MSI maybe the Pro B450M VDH Max. X570 mATX only has the Asrock I think and at 180 bucks is too much to splash on that board when there are better for similar cost.

mATX cases are a minefield of mostly total crap. The board choice is slim too which is a shame since its a nice sweet spot for expansion and size.

Yea, I agree with your sentiment, it is a shame mATX didn't catch on.

Cube cases are going to be bigger in terms of wasted volume. The smallest "mainstream" mATX case I'm aware of the is Raijintek Metis. The Inwin 301/c is also quite small. The other is to look for the various ones that use roughly the same design Thermaltake H17 Versa, Montech Flyer, Antec VSK10, Cougar (has a few), etc.

mATX cases are not really that much smaller than ATX ones however because mATX after all only really saves 2 expansion slots worth of height over ATX (roughly 5cm height wise).

It'll vary but it's pretty common with mobos now for each fan header to be specced for >10w. The Gigabyte b450 Auros M for instance is 25w per header. The Asrock b450m Pro is 24w a header (it also has 3 sys headers). A single 1000rpm 140mm fan should be well under 3w.

In terms mATX I primarily looked into b450 based mATX boards rather exahustively and the interesting ones I ended up comparing were -

Asrock b450m Pro (2 variants)
Asrock b450m Steel Legend
Asus b450m TUF Pro (not the Plus)
Gigabyte b450m Auros M
MSI b450m Gaming Plus

I ended up with the Auros M due to various factors although I still haven't built it yet (if anyone's seen/remembers my post yes I did buy everything for Black Friday :confused:)

Dust filtration is something that you will probably have to add on to most anything you look at anymore. Personally I skip it and opt for more airflow but I get why people do it.

For a 2600 any of the AM4 mATX boards will handle it all day:

As long as I can add a filter, I'm ok. It's really the only thing that has kept me from getting that Rosewill case. Also, I don't want a tower case unless I can turn it on it's side. My rig is going to be on a rolling table,and I don't want a tipping chance. I can turn any tower sideways, for sure, but some won't look right like that.I think that Rosewill will look really good on it's side. Also, the other thing I raelly like about that rosewill is that it is the smallest TX I can find without going exotic, and then I can't even find them. It's 15" x 15" x 9" and that's pretty damn small for an ATX case.

However, I'd much rather have a dedicated cube case because the bottom of most towers are not going to look very god (fan ports, etc.).

As far as VRMs go, that's another sticking point I had. So, you are saying for a 5 2600,I shouldn't even be worried about VRMs (getting hot, not lasting, etc)?

That Dark Flash BF1 I looked at and thought it would be perfect to use on it's side, and I absolutely love they stuck two 200MM fans in the front. At 15x18x8 it's a little larger in one direction than that Rosewill (3", but it's still very small). I'd go with the two front 200mm fans, and use a single120 in the back for positive pressure, and only need to worry about the front filter. When i first looked at that case, I was like, "Yeah, this is the one" but some of the reviewers said it was made of really thin metal and bendy like crazy. F that. OTher than thin metal, I definitely would go with it. I still might.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm seriously trying to find a case/MB that will fit my build. I'm 90% going with a Ryzen 5 2600, unless people can convince me of something else. I may go with the 5 2600x but I really don;t need more. It's for gaming, and I play mostly Mos games, with the occasional FPS but usually the games I play are fairly easy on the graphics/CPU

Anyway,I'm looking for the absolute smallest case/build I can get. At first I shied away from mATX because I thought I could find some cases that were nearly the size of mATX cases. I did find a couple, but it has been hard going. So, now I am back looking mATX boards.

I think the main problem is that I'm not finding a case to my liking. I want a cube case, and the search goes on. I did find one from Rosewill that is only 15x15x9 inches, and I can turn it on it's side. It will take anATX board, but no room for bottom fans then. Also, for whatever reason, Rosewill decided not to include a front intake filter. That's almost unforgivable, really, because I don't like cleaning tumbleweeds out of my case very month. They did offer one on the top exhaust, though--go figure.

I've seriously scoured Amazon for a mATX or small ATX case and I simply cannot find anything. The Rosewill case is as small as most mATX cases, so i still may go with it and trry to fabricate some sort of clean looking front filter for it.

View attachment 217448
https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-CUL...words=rosewill+cullinan&qid=1579660748&sr=8-2

I'm also finding that the mATX boards have a total of two 4 pin sys fans. I'd like to have at least 3. However, if the fan headers can support a high enough voltage, then I can use a Y cable and two fans, then that would be fine. I just don't like having only two sys fans, especially since I have had them blow up on occasion. Then you've left with 1 single sysfan,and have to hook fans to the power supply and fuck all that shit. I mean it's 2020, right?

Anyway, all I need is one graphics card and one add in card, like for wifi, and that;'s it. I do want a really good BIOS fan control system--again, it's 2020.

Any help would be appreciated.

If you want the smallest setup you can get, why are you not considering an ITX board/case? You sound like you'd be a good candidate for it.

There are tons of ITX case options, and the major board vendors all have at least one ITX board for each chipset. I'd go with the Gigabyte B450 one, myself.

Edit: It's amperage, not voltage, that you need to be concerned about regarding the fan headers. Assuming they're not moster 8000 RPM Delta fans, you should be able to run a couple from any given header. You can sometimes find out the amperage that each header is rated for, and you just add up the amerage rating from each fan you intend to connect to it. As long as the total is less than the rating, you should be fine, although trying to control the speed of two fans via the PWM output can sometimes be a little flaky.

That said, this board has four fan headers, with one meant for the CPU.
https://www.aorus.com/B450M-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10

Last edited:
If you want the smallest setup you can get, why are you not considering an ITX board/case? You sound like you'd be a good candidate for it.

There are tons of ITX case options, and the major board vendors all have at least one ITX board for each chipset. I'd go with the Gigabyte B450 one, myself.

Edit: It's amperage, not voltage, that you need to be concerned about regarding the fan headers. Assuming they're not moster 8000 RPM Delta fans, you should be able to run a couple from any given header. You can sometimes find out the amperage that each header is rated for, and you just add up the amerage rating from each fan you intend to connect to it. As long as the total is less than the rating, you should be fine, although trying to control the speed of two fans via the PWM output can sometimes be a little flaky.

That said, this board has four fan headers, with one meant for the CPU.
https://www.aorus.com/B450M-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10
I actually briefly looked at them, but I don't care for having 1 PCIe slot for the card and two DIM slots, and nothing else. You would think things would be smaller than they were 25 years ago, but DIMS, CPU housings, and DIMM slots remain about the same size, and with that we have to deal. I remember back in the day, we were hoping for external video cards via case connectors. It seems like PC's are stuck in the mid 1980s as far as form factor goes.

That being said, that board you tossed up has me very intrigued. I'm really studying it. If the wifi and BT never went bad I'd be set. I was going to go with x2 16GB RAM DIMS in the first place. I may get this board and start looking for itx cases. Thanks!

PS--If you have any suggestions for a different board for any reason, let me know.

Last edited:
Silverstone SG10.
Kind of overkill in your case because it has 5 fans 8, 9 or 12cm + 1 18 cm fan on top (so 6 places for fans and 3 sold with the case - 2x12 and 1x18. Huge space for graphics and CPU cooler. But it's still tiny with a lot of space inside. I considered it for an Asrock X399m MATX and 2x RTX 2080Ti and finally decided to go much cheaper. Everything is weird to put inside, not at the usual place, but it's clever.
https://www.silverstonetek.com/images/products/sg10/sg10-34.jpg

I finally put an Asus B450m TUF Pro and a Vega 64 with a Corsair RM 850x at first with a 3900x and finally with a 2700. And 64GB RAM, 2 HDD 3.5 + 2 SSD 2.5 + 1 BDR slim.

Last edited:
I actually briefly looked at them, but I don't care for having 1 PCIe slot for the card and two DIM slots, and nothing else. You would think things would be smaller than they were 25 years ago, but DIMS, CPU housings, and DIMM slots remain about the same size, and with that we have to deal. I remember back in the day, we were hoping for external video cards via case connectors. It seems like PC's are stuck in the mid 1980s as far as form factor goes.

That being said, that board you tossed up has me very intrigued. I'm really studying it. If the wifi and BT never went bad I'd be set. I was going to go with x2 16GB RAM DIMS in the first place. I may get this board and start looking for itx cases. Thanks!

PS--If you have any suggestions for a different board for any reason, let me know.
The board I linked to is actually M-ATX, like you asked for. I've had pretty good luck with Gigabyte in the last couple of years, so if I were in the market for an ITX boad, I'd go with theirs. This one, probably:
https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-B45...keywords=gigabyte+b450i&qid=1579877466&sr=8-2

It doesn't have four fan headers, but ITX boards generally don't. There is also a Z570 version, if you want PCI-E 4 for faster SSDs or something.

I've always loved the look of this case. I almost bought one last week for my new desktop quasi-work (but really gaming) machine, but then decided to go full ATX instead. I'm still tempted to buy one, but I'm at a loss for what I'd do with it.
https://www.amazon.com/Phanteks-PH-...ds=phanteks+evolv+shift&qid=1579876800&sr=8-1

If op can find asus strix b450-i mini-itx mobo in microcenter (they were on clearance some time ago for $80) i'd recommend going with that. ~ It would put more x470 boards power delivery systems to shame.

If op can find asus strix b450-i mini-itx mobo in microcenter (they were on clearance some time ago for $80) i'd recommend going with that. ~ It would put more x470 boards power delivery systems to shame.
That's an awesome deal (and I'd go with that too, if it were an option to me), but he talked about using a 2600, which doesn't really need particularly robust power delivery unless you're doing some sort of ridiculous overclocking. Especially on an ITX board, I'd think features matter more.

I would've gotten the Asus Strix b450i too at that cheap of a price. My main reluctance with spending a lot on an b450 board is due to the lack of PCIe 4.0 support. If b450 (or if b550) were leased with the CPU PCIe 4.0 lanes enabled only that would've been great.

That Gigabyte b450m Auros Elite must be rather new? I don't see it actually available for purchase anywhere. Hadn't even heard of it until now, only the Auros M.

Found it for 149 on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Strix-B...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07FKTSWNG

However, I just can't go with itx because if the onboard wifi goes out, there is zero expansion slots, and you're stuck with USB WiFi if you have to have it.

The AsRock B450 itx has a vertical mounted WiFi card that can be replaced if needed. Most on board WiFi/BT modules are mini m.2 cards. People often swap them for better parts even.

Yeah, it’s not onboard WiFi like an onboard sound or Ethernet, where it’s on the pcb and non-removable.

There will be an m.2 2230 slot somewhere on the board it uses. Even the ones that look like it’s part of the i/o on the back, it’s just a metal box covering a vertical slot and bracket to make it look nice. You can remove them by taking out a single screw from the bottom (or a couple more if there’s a shroud you need to remove first), and then you can replace or upgrade the card.

As someone who just went through a series of mATX builds I can say, itx is the right choice if you want smaller. I wound up putting together a full ATX build in a Meshify C at one point and it was barely bigger than the case I’d been using for mATX (a carbide 88R, which is basically a traditional style case). I used to like the idea because I figured I could build a noticeably smaller system but still have good expansion options if I wanted it, but the difference in size wasn’t really appreciable enough for the headache of finding a board I liked.

was mobo wifi a concern? if not, im happy with my mobo and case in my sig. the case is a smaller atx and the mobo has 3 headers like you want but no wifi.

These exist. Some ITX boards have two m.2 slots - get one with two if you're that worried about it.
https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Wireless-AC-802-11ac-Wi-Fi-Bluetooth/dp/B00STV5UKW
I don't have a microscope to install the screws. Seriously, though, I have no experience with these types of cards. Antenna? Compatibility driver wise? No clue. However, if these little boards do have an m2 slot, it's at least more of an option for me. I've never built an itx system, though. I'm stretching my knowledge going wth mATX:

--Trying to find the right case to clear a decent air cooler
--ATX PSU in an itx case?
--Full sized graphics card?
--Plug in an M2 SATA drive and your PCIe 16 just became a PCIe x8 slot and your graphics card is now bottlenecked.
--ASUS ROG itx says RAM A8? ETF is that?
--32GB RAM? Says not listed, or some horrible timings?
I really have no clue about building an itx system?

Last edited:
Yeah, it’s not onboard WiFi like an onboard sound or Ethernet, where it’s on the pcb and non-removable.

There will be an m.2 2230 slot somewhere on the board it uses. Even the ones that look like it’s part of the i/o on the back, it’s just a metal box covering a vertical slot and bracket to make it look nice. You can remove them by taking out a single screw from the bottom (or a couple more if there’s a shroud you need to remove first), and then you can replace or upgrade the card.

As someone who just went through a series of mATX builds I can say, itx is the right choice if you want smaller. I wound up putting together a full ATX build in a Meshify C at one point and it was barely bigger than the case I’d been using for mATX (a carbide 88R, which is basically a traditional style case). I used to like the idea because I figured I could build a noticeably smaller system but still have good expansion options if I wanted it, but the difference in size wasn’t really appreciable enough for the headache of finding a board I liked.
What about full sized graphics cards and a CPU cooler in a itx case? Also, thanks for the M2 card explanation. That's pretty cool actually. It also m,akes it really easy to install teh M2 card without having moicroscopic tools to install the antenna etc.

was mobo wifi a concern? if not, Im happy with my mobo and case in my sig. the case is a smaller atx and the mobo has 3 headers like you want but no wifi.
I need wifi, yes, and it looks like m2 is going to be a standard now. Much smaller cards with the same functionality. ITX is looking very interesting.

Yeah, you can get itx cases that will take full size parts. Although if you’re trying to build a smaller system I think it kind of defeats the purpose. :)

Yeah, you can get itx cases that will take full size parts. Although if you’re trying to build a smaller system I think it kind of defeats the purpose. :)
It doesnt defeat the purpose, unless the purpose was to stay as tiny as possible. If the purpose is a more portable system than a full tower are, then the purpose was met, even with full size. I have 2 pretty small PC's, slightly bigger than an Xbox one, both have full size GPUs and can run circles around said Xbox one. Sure I could go smaller, but what I gain in size I lose in power. I have a water cooled ryzen in one, and it's pretty weighty for its size, but works well for my needs. Not everyone wants something small and weak just to say it's small. To each their.own, if you are just trying to build a semi useful box and size is very important, to than you must sacrafice something.

I don't have a microscope to install the screws. Seriously, though, I have no experience with these types of cards. Antenna? Compatibility driver wise? No clue. However, if these little boards do have an m2 slot, it's at least more of an option for me. I've never built an itx system, though. I'm stretching my knowledge going wth mATX:

--Trying to find the right case to clear a decent air cooler
--ATX PSU in an itx case?
--Full sized graphics card?
--Plug in an M2 SATA drive and your PCIe 16 just became a PCIe x8 slot and your graphics card is now bottlenecked.
--ASUS ROG itx says RAM A8? ETF is that?
--32GB RAM? Says not listed, or some horrible timings?
I really have no clue about building an itx system?

If you use the case I posted, you can use the stock cooler that comes with the CPU, I think. You could also use pretty much any 120mm AIO. Other cases will be different, obviously. Edit: There's a version of that case with fabric side panels that's much more amenable to air coolers.

Some ITX cases call for SFX power supplies, which are just like regular ATX power supplies, but about half the size. They're almost always modular. Other cases can use regular ATX power supplies.

Usually, you can use a full size graphics card, as long as it's roughly the same size as a reference board.

It depends on how the chipset works, but usually no. There are PCI-E lanes that go to the x16 slot for the graphics card, and then others that connect to the M.2 slots, sometimes via the chipset.

You can use normally sized DIMMs unless the motherboard you're using has SODIMM slots. There are usually two slots on an ITX board, so you'd need to get 16GB sticks, but it should work just fine.

The memory timings have more to do with the memory you're using than the motherboard. Get good memory that's rated for the speed you want, and it should work, with the understanding that unless you're in it purely for overclocking, 3200 is probably optimal.

Smallish itx cases that take standard sized parts have their place. Makes it easier to downsize a system with just a motherboard swap. I have built more itx systems for myself/ family and clients now that the boards offer everything 90% of users need including 32gb of ram, 12 or 16 core CPUs (thanks AMD!) WiFi/BT etc etc. Expansion is limited such as adding capture cards an such but again many use cases are satisfied with modern itx boards. They build like any other system.

Riotoro Cr280, Nzxt H200 series, Fractal Nano S. All good places to start getting smaller with lots of options for parts compatibility. Yes they are “large” and not true small fom factor cases but a nice place to start!

I'm seeing that too. Looking at ITX cases, if you want to use full sized parts, the smallest case is about 12"x12"x9", and the ATX case I posted above from Rosewill takes a full sized ATX board, and is only 15x15x9. So, that's not a lot smaller. I think I may go with an mATX board in either an mATX case, or Rosewill case because then I can use bottom fans in that Rosewill case. .It's too small to use bottom fans if you use a full ATX board.

If you use the case I posted, you can use the stock cooler that comes with the CPU, I think. You could also use pretty much any 120mm AIO. Other cases will be different, obviously. Edit: There's a version of that case with fabric side panels that's much more amenable to air coolers.

Some ITX cases call for SFX power supplies, which are just like regular ATX power supplies, but about half the size. They're almost always modular. Other cases can use regular ATX power supplies.

Usually, you can use a full size graphics card, as long as it's roughly the same size as a reference board.

It depends on how the chipset works, but usually no. There are PCI-E lanes that go to the x16 slot for the graphics card, and then others that connect to the M.2 slots, sometimes via the chipset.

You can use normally sized DIMMs unless the motherboard you're using has SODIMM slots. There are usually two slots on an ITX board, so you'd need to get 16GB sticks, but it should work just fine.

The memory timings have more to do with the memory you're using than the motherboard. Get good memory that's rated for the speed you want, and it should work, with the understanding that unless you're in it purely for overclocking, 3200 is probably optimal.

That case won't take a full sized PSU. Still nice though.

I'm seeing that too. Looking at ITX cases, if you want to use full sized parts, the smallest case is about 12"x12"x9", and the ATX case I posted above from Rosewill takes a full sized ATX board, and is only 15x15x9. So, that's not a lot smaller. I think I may go with an mATX board in either an mATX case, or Rosewill case because then I can use bottom fans in that Rosewill case. .It's too small to use bottom fans if you use a full ATX board.
For one example I have an Azza 103 itx case. It's 13.5"x17.5", but only 4.4" in height (width if you stand it up). It's noticably smaller than my daughters micro atx tower, and much smaller than my full tower. My other itx is a cube type and is also a lot smaller.. both take full atx power supplies and fit full size GPUs. My cube style is aio cooled, I would have to double check on exact case as I can't recall and dont want to mislead.

Well, I have a case and MB picked out, but the QVL fro the MB doesn't list any RAM over 16GB! I want to use 32GB, x2 16 each. WTF?

I have some question below, and I am looking in the manual now, but pplease do voice any suggestion or concerns you have. I'll list some question below the links.

I'm going to be using the R5 2600 (maybe the R7 2700 if I can afford it). I'll be taking the stock cooler off and using a another small horizontal cooler instead of a tower, since I'm not going to OC. The idea is for the CPU to run as cool as possible under load and at idle. I can buy the AMD Wraith Maxcooler RGB coller on Amazon, but if there is anything else out there that cools better, then I'd want that. I also don't know if the MB below has pins for the RGB aspect, and if not, nix that.

Case:
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Crystal-Series-280X/p/CC-9011136-WW
-CC-9011136-WW-Gallery-280X-WHT-01.png

I don't really have any question about this case. I've vetted it pretty well, but any concerns about fitting shit in, let me know. One question is that I am not getting the RGB model, and I assume that means only the RGB fans are not included, but everything else is the same? If anyone has another suggestion for a mATX/iTX case, let me know. I'm trying to keep the case as small as possible with full sized PSU and Card.

Motherboard: Again, seriously, no QVL supporting 32GB ram, even though it says the board supports 32GB?
Gigabyte B450 I AORUSPRO WIFI mITX
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-I-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10#kf
Memory Support List
2019021210422050bb6fec426a5bf02a545baba37bb42c1e_m.png

This MB comes with two fan risers, CPU and one SYS Fan. I'm looking into the specs now in the manual, but if anyone knows the volts for the CPU and sys fan risers, please post. (Manual: https://static.gigabyte.com/Product/2/6655/2019021210422050bb6fec426a5bf02a545baba37bb42c1e_m.png) I'd like to keep all of the fans on the MB if possible,and use teh board BIOS/Software to control all fans.

------------------------Not related to my build, but. . . .

Just as an aside, Corsair looks like it's getting ready to release a very nice mITX case:
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Graphite-Series™-380T-Yellow-Portable-Mini-ITX-Case/p/CC-9011065-WW

-CC-9011065-WW-Gallery-380T-Yellow-01.png

Well, I have a case and MB picked out, but the QVL fro the MB doesn't list any RAM over 16GB! I want to use 32GB, x2 16 each. WTF?

Just as an aside, Corsair looks like it's getting ready to release a very nice mITX case:
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Graphite-Series™-380T-Yellow-Portable-Mini-ITX-Case/p/CC-9011065-WW

-CC-9011065-WW-Gallery-380T-Yellow-01.png

The QVL lists a few 16GB single modules, but most DDR4 memory should work. We should note that the QVL doesn't list any memory faster than 2666, but there is an advantage to using 3200. I have a B450 Elite, which is like a full ATX size version of the board you're looking at, and it works fine with this particular kit:
Amazon product ASIN B07DMNZY56
Also, the 380T has been discontinued for years. I wonder if this means they're bringing it back. I always thought it was a neat case.

The QVL lists a few 16GB single modules, but most DDR4 memory should work. We should note that the QVL doesn't list any memory faster than 2666, but there is an advantage to using 3200. I have a B450 Elite, which is like a full ATX size version of the board you're looking at, and it works fine with this particular kit:
Amazon product ASIN B07DMNZY56
Also, the 380T has been discontinued for years. I wonder if this means they're bringing it back. I always thought it was a neat case.
Oh interesting about the case. Does your board have the same QVL list and speeds? I did see a couple 16GB dimms on the QVL, but not x2. Is tehre a chance it will default to an even slower speed than 2666?

PS--Your kit link didn't show up.

Oh interesting about the case. Does your board have the same QVL list and speeds? I did see a couple 16GB dimms on the QVL, but not x2. Is tehre a chance it will default to an even slower speed than 2666?

PS--Your kit link didn't show up.
Yeah, they updated the forum software last night, and it seems to be doing dirty things to links to Amazon.

Try this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DMNZY56

When you reset the CMOS, you'll find that the memory defaults to something pretty slow (2133, as I recall). You have to turn on XMP to get it to run faster than that. 3200 happens to be synchronous with the interlink between all the cores, so there's a minor performance advantage to running that speed specifically.

Edit: You can obviously also just manually configure it in the bios to run at whatever speed you want, but the XMP profile is supposed to be validated to work.

Yeah, they updated the forum software last night, and it seems to be doing dirty things to links to Amazon.

When you reset the CMOS, you'll find that the memory defaults to something pretty slow (2133, as I recall). You have to turn on XMP to get it to run faster than that. 3200 happens to be synchronous with the interlink between all the cores, so there's a minor performance advantage to running that speed specifically.

Thanks for that!

I just noticed that the board says "integrated graphics." Do they mean if your CPU has that option, or do they acually have an integrated chip on the board itself? I'd aso love to know what voltages the sysfan and CPU fan are so I can run more than one fan on each riser.

I'm also thinking about going with the new M2 drive. IS that going to cuase any Video Card bottle necking? I've also noticed that they are more expensive than their SATA cousins for the same size!!

Last edited:
I just noticed that the board says "integrated graphics." Do they mean if your CPU has that option, or do they acually have an integrated chip on the board itself? I'd aso love to know what voltages the sysfan and CPU fan are so I can run more than one fan on each riser.
yeah that means it supports the cpu igpu. the fans wont be more than .3 and always 12v. each header will support a minimum of 1a so you can run 3 per header with a splitter.

There will be no bottleneck if using an m.2 NVMe Drive and a gpu - there are enough dedicated pcie lanes to drive both at full speed.

yeah that means it supports the cpu igpu. the fans wont be more than .3 and always 12v. each header will support a minimum of 1a so you can run 3 per header with a splitter.
Is that going to take into consideration fan start up voltage? I know I can look that up. Also, I'm going to use 140mm fans x2 on the bottom and top, and it only takes 120mm on the front. So I'll have exactly six fans, 4 140s and 2 120s.

I see at the Noctua site their NF A14 140mm fan says "max input current .13A"
https://noctua.at/en/nf-a14-pwm/specification
Does that mean what the fan can take or what it draws on startup? If so I could run 7 fans off of one riser. Also, if you know, don't the CPU risers handle more than 1 AMP? I'll post a new thread too to see what others think.

Last edited:
There will be no bottleneck if using an m.2 NVMe Drive and a gpu - there are enough dedicated pcie lanes to drive both at full speed.
Is there anything I need to worry abot using the M2 drive with the above board? It seems to me that there is really no reason to use the standard SATA type SSDs any longer, especially when you can use M2 enclosures for external use now. Also, if you know, I've always used Samsung SSDs. Unless there is some problem, I'd like to stick with Samsung for the M2. Any suggestions?

Is that going to take into consideration fan start up voltage? I know I can look that up. Also, I'm going to use 140mm fans x2 on the bottom and top, and it only takes 120mm on the front. So I'll have exactly six fans, 4 140s and 2 120s.

Try this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DMNZY56

Edit: You can obviously also just manually configure it in the bios to run at whatever speed you want, but the XMP profile is supposed to be validated to work.
Still no working link :(

If I can use XMP and get the stock speed for the board, I'll be happy enough. My OC days are over.

How about this for your fan header problem? It will only regulate PWM fans though. 3 Pin fans will fit but it will run at full speed unless you have a separate low noise adapter/voltage reducer.

Amazon product ASIN B07N3HP8S5

Back