AMD Spider Videos

Vertigo Acid

2(-log[H+])4u
Mauricio Freitas has posted a pair of videos, straight from AMD, about their new Spider platform. One is a platform overview, the other an overclocking demonstration. Spider consists of AMD Phenom processors, ATI Radeon HD 3800 series and AMD 7-Series chipsets.
Looks pretty sweet if you ask me.

Update: Here's a longer version via YouTube of the overclocking video. Thanks to Zarni

I can't wait for the controlled Reviews On Rails®© for this Spider platform. :cool:

It's so much better when the reviews are consistent and are marketing approved.

Is it just me or the first video was cut? its only like 1:30? Wheres the actual demo?

i always though that the Wrath from a woman was BAD, but it looks like AMD is about to hand out Intel a Butt whippin.............LOL

Seems nice, how much players get we will se, but this is how it should be, amd processor ati grafics and a chipset.
Intel should have nvidia sli on x38 chipset to be good, but hey...

I like intel and nvidia more, but this new amd all together system seems interesting!

What does this increased pci expres clock, is it like PCIe2.0 overclocked? Like more frames in games? And possibility to damage grafic card? Tnx for info in advance.

So did the guy have a special phenom cpu where he can up the multi? Hmm... phenom black edition sounds nice or if all of them came like that... lol then everyone would buy the lowest one and just OC ;)

Well not everyone OCs... just most of [H]

I was wondering when Macci's role at AMD was going to reveal itself.

you've done it now! Countdown to a fanboy pointing to a MUCH better intel overclock begins NOW!

And it looked like the processor was left at 1.3v for the overclock.

I wonder why they overclocked the PCIe bus..... haven't ever noticed a difference on my system... then again, they are running a much differenter system.

And it looked like the processor was left at 1.3v for the overclock.

I wonder why they overclocked the PCIe bus..... haven't ever noticed a difference on my system... then again, they are running a much differenter system.

And he had unlocked multipliers, HMM, quit abusing your privileges AMD!!!

It was most likely an FX processor, which we won't get till Q1 2008. Still nice tho.

Very sweet looking app with a lot of capability and even more potential. Hope it live ups.

On a related note, I didn't realize there was such a title as "Champion Overclocker".

I like seeing this level of control from within the OS. Maybe Intel will follow AMD's lead here and do something similar in the future. Personally, I'm happy with my [email protected]. No real reason to bother upgrading anytime soon. I would also like to see ATi make a comeback and actually overtake nvidia in performance, if only for a month. At least make nvidia sweat a little, please. Competition = good.

Are they using an aftermarket cooler as well?? (OCZ Reaper memory I see also)

While this is a nice addition to any platform being able to do it all with a single application (hopefully nvidia is taking notes and may bring nTune to the same level?), I still dont see how this is going to do anything to the current status of the Intel vs AMD scene. While the chip does hit 3.0Ghz on stock volts, you have to wonder if this isn't some hand picked phenom used to demonstrate the platforms abilities.

You make one trip to somewhere like xtremesystems forums and you see Penryns hitting 4Ghz+ on air. & before Im called an Intel fanboy, I've owned both. Used to have an AMD 1800+ and then a Barton 2500+ OC'd to 3200+. I go for the price/performance ratio that I can afford at the time. Currently running a C2D @ 3.4.

I too wish that AMD could make a comeback and out perform Intel. We can only benefit from it.

Just keep the sockets the same! heh. I dont like having to upgrade my mobo. :D

I really like how AMD is integrating everything together... They're kinda developing an Apple-like system. Everything is made to work best with certain co-components.

But, the proof is in the pudding. Phenom currently underperforms when compared to most intel quads. The HD3850 is great, but there's nothing to dethrone the high-end (or even the mid-high end yet).

And, in-windows overclocking = Ugh. There's nothing like a fresh re-image that totally destroys all your overclocking settings. Nothanks.

There's nothing like a fresh re-image that totally destroys all your overclocking settings. Nothanks.
OK, but for that you have the save/load option (i also like bios oc more, but this Spider seems very interesting!). It seems nvidia is far from destroying AMD/ATI what many talk about. I would like to see a real corporation from intel and nvidia.

80 times faster than a PS3... the fanboys are going *choke* :D

I've always liked AMD for their inovation and new ideas. Like Apple, they are always trying to come out with something new. I will be looking forward to this, even if I can't afford it. ;)

ok, I wanna say I have a soft spot for AMD, I think this demo is a little useless, one, that 3GHz clock is not stable, he moved some sliders and wow, 3 GHz. Second, why increase the PCI-E slot, I was under the impression, that its pointless......???

Seems like a good idea, I hope AMD can pull it off. Apple has been building stable, packaged platforms since its' inception, and with the PS3, Xbox and Wii consoles gaining strength in gaming, I think that this is a good move.

I don't want a console, too limiting. The games are too simple and inflexible, and you can't use them for real work. I don't want an Apple for similar reasons. But a platform that supports all the flexibility of a PC, and with better reliability to boot? They may have something here.

Although, I have been a fan of nvidia for quite some time, they seem to be taking profits now that there is not much competition. Delaying the launch of new GPU's and riding the success of their last generation cash cow, I am beginning to wonder if they are going to make the same mistakes that 3dfx did. It no longer seems to be a company "by gamers, for gamers" anymore. Honestly, anyone spending $500 on a gfx card must have less of a life than I do, and that isn't much!

I've been waiting on a real gaming card for real word prices for a while now. I finally settled on an 8600GTS, but I have been wanting an 8800GT since they came out nearly a year ago. Has their price fallen much? Nope. So much for the six month cycle. New core, refresh, rinse and repeat. I'd have gone with ATI out of frustration, but we all know why I didn't, don't we.

ok, I wanna say I have a soft spot for AMD, I think this demo is a little useless, one, that 3GHz clock is not stable, he moved some sliders and wow, 3 GHz. Second, why increase the PCI-E slot, I was under the impression, that its pointless......???

why is it not stable? just cause he didnt have orthos running? the video wont be able to answer every question but it was nice to see the overclock

Upping your PCI-E bus,can increase your 3DMark scores a little.

Back