AMD-specific RAM?

AMD specific RAM was mainly a thing back with 1st/2nd gen Ryzen.

My 2700X bought late in it's life cycle wouldn't run XMP perfectly stable until I gave it a few more volts (it eventually ran XMP stable + 1.35V with a later BIOS version).

My 2600X won't run 3200 XMP at all...

For 3rd gen Ryzen, I'm not sure I've seen instances wherein XMP below 3600 wouldn't run...

I'd pick up the Ripjaws if I were you and save the money.

Reactions: x509
like this
AMD specific RAM was mainly a thing back with 1st/2nd gen Ryzen.

My 2700X bought late in it's life cycle wouldn't run XMP perfectly stable until I gave it a few more volts (it eventually ran XMP stable + 1.35V with a later BIOS version).

My 2600X won't run 3200 XMP at all...

For 3rd gen Ryzen, I'm not sure I've seen instances wherein XMP below 3600 wouldn't run...

I'd pick up the Ripjaws if I were you and save the money.

If you know how to flash the mother board , that even gen 1 boards will eat about any memory I have tired G-Skill / Team / Oloy .. just does not matter and run the XMP profiles at 3200Mhz and my Oloy is 3600Mhz memory and it works with my 1600 AF at 3332Mhz in XMP 1 on a B350 board .

If you know how to flash the mother board , that even gen 1 boards will eat about any memory I have tired G-Skill / Team / Oloy .. just does not matter and run the XMP profiles at 3200Mhz and my Oloy is 3600Mhz memory and it works with my 1600 AF at 3332Mhz in XMP 1 on a B350 board .

My x470/2600x doesnt work well with anything higher than 3000mhz even with the latest BIOS. One of the two is a dud since the same Corsair LPX sticks (3200 C16) are running 3600 C16 with the 3700x and 3200 C14 with the 2700x

Last edited:
So Newegg just had this Ryzen compatible G. Skill RAM in today's "deal" email: https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232861

But I don't want RGB RAM. Don't need it.

For less money, there is this G. Skill Ripjaws RAM. https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232907?Description=g. skill ripjaws&cm_re=g._skill_ripjaws-_-20-232-907-_-Product&quicklink=true Any reason why it won't work in an ASUS X570 ROG Strix-E board? And I get to save $30.

Just buy that memory. I have a similar set except mine is rated for Cas 19. It will clock to Cas 16 without issue at 3600Mhz. No sense at all in buying "Ryzen compatible memory" if you're on a 3rd gen CPU and board.

like this
Any reason why it won't work in an ASUS X570 ROG Strix-E board? And I get to save $30.

If you're going to use Ryzen 3xxx any DDR4 should be fine.
I got Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB 3200-CL16 for my 3700x and overclocked the shit out of them.

like this
To everyone who replied. I didn't know that only 1st gen or 2nd gen Ryzen needed specific memory. I'm going to get an X570 board with a 3900X CPU. It's good to know that I can overclock that RAM.

THANK YOU ALL. :D

Last edited:
To everyone who replied. I didn't know that only 1st gen or 2nd gen Ryzen needed specific memory. I'm going to get an X570 board with a 3900X CPU. It's good to know that I can overclock that RAM.
My 3900x X370 motherboard with 4 8gb dims 3200mhz 14-14-14-34 using Samsung B die modules does 3800mhz completely stable. Tested some Hynix 16gb dim modules rated at 3466mhz XMP and they too worked at XMP after changing Cad bus resistance settings, 2 x 16gb or 32gb total. With Ryzen 3 memory compatibility really opened up and you can look at the motherboard compatible ram list to give you a good choice or options to look at. Plus motherboard user reviews on the product page selling the board may help, also ram user reviews and different forums such as this one and another good one is Overclock.net.

like this

MSI B450 Tomahawk Max and Ryzen 5 2600 using CORSAIR Vengeance LPX that is on the QVL list and XMP doesn't work, kept defaulting to 2666. Had to manually set it to 3000 ... just saying :barefoot:

Reactions: mda
like this

THANK YOU ALL. :D

I found that first and second gen does not need specific memory, at least anytime in the last 1.5 years. I have a 2600 and it runs fine with 2800 ram that I have had for 3 years from GSkill. In fact, it is more of an issue, the ram, when upgrading to an older board and the bios firmware may have issues, the newest one.

MSI B450 Tomahawk Max and Ryzen 5 2600 using CORSAIR Vengeance LPX that is on the QVL list and XMP doesn't work, kept defaulting to 2666. Had to manually set it to 3000 ... just saying :barefoot:

I have an MSI B350M Gaming Pro that I was running a Ryzen 3600 on with Oloy 3600Mhz CL 18 @ 2 x 16Gb (2 slot board ) .. pulled the cpu and dropped the 1600 AF into the socket .. it will boot at 3600Mhz memory XMP profile 2 but not stable .. profile 1 very stable @ 3333Mhz CL 18

It was in beast mode at 3600Mhz memory in FS http://www.3dmark.com/fs/21479515

Also I have basic build for someone going on using a refurbished MSI B350m Bazooka board and a 2200g .. I plan to flash it to the latest bios and try Team Force 16Gb of 3200Mhz CL 16 memory from my 3700x system .. I will let your know how it turns out .

Last edited:
I have not wrote a review yet .. I got them for $109 on Black Friday https://www.newegg.com/oloy-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820821222 needed latest bios before they ran there XMP profiles .

one benefit to manually setting the timings is that I have the mem running at 14-17-17-34 (tras 34) and XMP would not have set it there automatically. Just change the settings in BIOS slowly and once you find the sweet spot write the #'s down and that will be that. XMP on an AMD MoBo just sets the timings that what the mem sticks were advertised at otherwise without XMP it will always default to 2666 (correct me if I'm wrong about this)

All version of Ryzen benefit non-trivially, from tweaking sub-timings. Techpowerup has a good article on it. I would like to think that these modules marketed as AMD specific, come pre-tweaked. But, I would check anyway.

All version of Ryzen benefit non-trivially, from tweaking sub-timings. Techpowerup has a good article on it. I would like to think that these modules marketed as AMD specific, come pre-tweaked. But, I would check anyway.
So I just read this Techpowerup article, and it was really good. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-memory-tweaking-overclocking-guide/. Since this is my first AMD build since I used a 386/40, I still have a lot to learn. :love: That article says that the best RAM for overclocking is based on Samsung b-die. How do I know if any vendor uses this Samsung chip? The newegg product pages don't have this info. Or the next best memory is built on Hynix CJR. Same questions as for the Samsung part.

You go on reddit and other sources to see which kits use which, but take note that manufacturers can switch the ICs around. For example, Corsair RAM used to use BDIE for some kits, but no longer.

Some quick info I have learned so far from researching RAM as well:

GSkill TridentZ Neo 3600 C16 uses CJR AFAIK

16GB DIMMs are usually NOT BDie

BDie used to be used exclusively for 3200 C14 and 3600 C16 but nowadays, CJRs can do this as well AFAIK.

I wouldn't pay a big premium for BDIE and CJRs (there isn't much premium for CJRs now).

My supposedly sucky AFRs that are 3200 C16 I got to run at 3600 C16.

You go on reddit and other sources to see which kits use which, but take note that manufacturers can switch the ICs around. For example, Corsair RAM used to use BDIE for some kits, but no longer.

Some quick info I have learned so far from researching RAM as well:

GSkill TridentZ Neo 3600 C16 uses CJR AFAIK

16GB DIMMs are usually NOT BDie

BDie used to be used exclusively for 3200 C14 and 3600 C16 but nowadays, CJRs can do this as well AFAIK.

I wouldn't pay a big premium for BDIE and CJRs (there isn't much premium for CJRs now).

My supposedly sucky AFRs that are 3200 C16 I got to run at 3600 C16.

IMO, there is absolutely no reason to go crazy looking for Bdie memory unless you are looking for Cas 14 3200Mhz. If you want Cas 16 at 3600Mhz, there are plenty of options including Hynix CJR (I got 2x16GB CJR for $110) or Micron Edie.

IMO, there is absolutely no reason to go crazy looking for Bdie memory unless you are looking for Cas 14 3200Mhz. If you want Cas 16 at 3600Mhz, there are plenty of options including Hynix CJR (I got 2x16GB CJR for $110) or Micron Edie.
I've never really worked with RAM timings before but I have learned that I should pay attention for a Ryzen CPU. What is the practical impact of a Cas 14 vs 16 or 18? I am assuming that the lower the number, the better. How about the other three numbers in the RAM timing spec?

Guys, I have to say, "you are never too old to learn something useful." And I'm old enough. :ROFLMAO:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-3000-best-memory-timings,6310.html

Better to just post an article than to try to reinvent the wheel. Overall I don't think you will notice much of a difference outside of synthetics. Generally the lower the cas the less top end frequency you will hit. Hence, higher frequency ram usually has high cas numbers.

if you are looking to play around, I would get the ryzen memory calculator put in your specs and then play around with it until you find something that works with your setup.

like this
if you are looking to play around, I would get the ryzen memory calculator put in your specs and then play around with it until you find something that works with your setup.

Ryzen memory calc is probably okay for B die, but did a piss poor job for Micron E die. I did use the memory profile and it gave me numbers that simply were way off and the computer did not boot.
I've managed to tweak timings manually and got much better results overclocking 3200 CL16 kit to 3733 CL16 @ 1.4v

Ryzen memory calc is probably okay for B die, but did a piss poor job for Micron E die. I did use the memory profile and it gave me numbers that simply were way off and the computer did not boot.
I've managed to tweak timings manually and got much better results overclocking 3200 CL16 kit to 3733 CL16 @ 1.4v

It's a place to start. If you put in every single timing it probably won't boot. But if you change one at a time and do some testing you can dial your memory in as apparently you have done. I got my Cas 19 CJR to Cas 16 and 3600Mhz.

Reactions: noko
like this
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-3000-best-memory-timings,6310.html

Better to just post an article than to try to reinvent the wheel. Overall I don't think you will notice much of a difference outside of synthetics. Generally the lower the cas the less top end frequency you will hit. Hence, higher frequency ram usually has high cas numbers.

Am I reading this right? The bigger the CAS number, the faster I can overclock the memory stick? Still learning. :love: I'm not trolling here. I just know didly-squat right now about memory timings.

Am I reading this right? The bigger the CAS number, the faster I can overclock the memory stick? Still learning. :love: I'm not trolling here. I just know didly-squat right now about memory timings.
The common way of overclocking the memory is setting all the timings _very_ loose, setting frequency to match 1:1 ratio with the infinity fabric speed and setting the DRAM voltage you're comfortable with, testing that it works and then tightening the timings down. There are guides how to do that and what the values should be / what ratios/formulas.

So if I have to choose between different brands or models within a brand is CL 16 going to overclock better or worse than say CL 18? (Again, I'm not trolling. I'm just a complete noob about overclocking RAM, even though I have been building my own systems since like 1990.)

CL16 chips are typically binned better so it will likely overclock better.

Obviously, it's always a luck of the draw thing and you're bound to find some CL18 chips overclocking better than the CL16 chips.

Timings and bandwidth can be equated to 2 sides of the same coin.

Tight timings (lower number / CAS) means the response time of the memory to CPU requests will be faster.

Higher bandwidth means that each 'delivery' made by your RAM will come with more data.

Especially for AMD systems, you want a compromise between high bandwidth and low CAS.

3600 C16 is a very good place for Ryzen systems. If you can do 3733 or 3800 C16 overclock with tighter subtimings, you're golden.

So if I have to choose between different brands or models within a brand is CL 16 going to overclock better or worse than say CL 18? (Again, I'm not trolling. I'm just a complete noob about overclocking RAM, even though I have been building my own systems since like 1990.)
if a company makes memory modules like 3000 CL15, 3200 CL16, 3600 CL18 is usually the same chips with looser timings on higher end. Take Crucial Ballistix for example, those advertised timing are pretty pessimistic.
With a bit higher voltage these modules you can either tighten the timings or you can bump up the speed. So a 3200 CL16 module can be run as 3200 CL14 or as 3600/3733 CL16. For ryzen 2 higher clock speed (to match infinity fabric speed) is preferred.
But overall the performance % change would be single digits.

OK guys, let me summarize what I think are the facts from this thread. And just to repeat, I am not trollling. I am just putting my RAM overlocking noob status on public display. :confused:

CL 16 is better than CL 18, all other specs equal, for better overclocking potential.
3600 is better than 3200, all other specs equal, for better overclocking potential.

For this memory https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232861, with timing 16-19-19-39 16 is the magic CL number, and 19-19-39 are the sub-timing numbers.

OK guys, let me summarize what I think are the facts from this thread. And just to repeat, I am not trollling. I am just putting my RAM overlocking noob status on public display. :confused:

CL 16 is better than CL 18, all other specs equal, for better overclocking potential.
3600 is better than 3200, all other specs equal, for better overclocking potential.

For this memory https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232861, with timing 16-19-19-39 16 is the magic CL number, and 19-19-39 are the sub-timing numbers.

Also stay away from odd timing ram, ie. CL15. Odd numbered timing CL... is real hard to run in general and requires disabling of geardown, etc which further complicates things.

like this
If you want DRAM bling-bling, that kit may very well be the one to get. My 32GB kit was $60 cheaper.
No I absolutely do not want (to pay for) bling-bling. My system case is an 800D, but I managed to swap with another 800D owner the original windowed side panel for a solid side panel. I know lots of guys won't agree with me, but I happen to agree with me. :ROFLMAO:

No I absolutely do not want (to pay for) bling-bling. My system case is an 800D, but I managed to swap with another 800D owner the original windowed side panel for a solid side panel. I know lots of guys won't agree with me, but I happen to agree with me. :ROFLMAO:

Forgot to ask. What 32 GB kit did you get?

Forgot to ask. What 32 GB kit did you get?
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 CL16.
It has been discontinued and replaced by another kit (BL2K16G32C16U4), but i'm not sure what chips do they use on those new kits. My guess is that those use the same E-Die chips, just a better heatspreader and higher default voltage.

So Newegg just had this Ryzen compatible G. Skill RAM in today's "deal" email: https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232861

But I don't want RGB RAM. Don't need it.

For less money, there is this G. Skill Ripjaws RAM. https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232907?Description=g. skill ripjaws&cm_re=g._skill_ripjaws-_-20-232-907-_-Product&quicklink=true Any reason why it won't work in an ASUS X570 ROG Strix-E board? And I get to save $30.
I'm the OP here and I'm quoting the first post in this thread.
Just buy that memory. I have a similar set except mine is rated for Cas 19. It will clock to Cas 16 without issue at 3600Mhz. No sense at all in buying "Ryzen compatible memory" if you're on a 3rd gen CPU and board.
So I'm the OP here, and I'm quoting a reply (post #5) to my thread-starter post. I like to read product reviews, just as I like to read [H]. How is it that some people are rating this memory 5 stars, but other people are saying that their rig won't boot at XMP settings or they had to set speed down to much less than 3600.:confused: So now I'm wondering if this Corsair Vengeance LX isn't a safer/better choice. Yes, it's only Cas 18. https://www.newegg.com/corsair-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820236596?Item=N82E16820236596, and it is a bit more expensive.:coffee:

Honestly, you are chasing minuscule performance gains for a significant amount of extra money. I wouldn't go crazy.

Honestly, you are chasing minuscule performance gains for a significant amount of extra money. I wouldn't go crazy.
OK. Then I will get the Corsair Vengeance RAM and be at peace with my decision. I have always had good luck with Corsair RAM.

Back