AMD Special Edition Driver: Catalyst Omega

There appears to be a corrupt file in there somewhere. I got a box that said unsigned drivers were trying to be installed (for the display driver and the HDMI audio driver). I rebooted and allowed unsigned drivers and it looked like it installed, except the screen didn't go black and come back on like it usually does when the driver is updated. I tried installing manually from device manager and that's when it said it was unsuccessful and that there might be a corrupt file.

I used DDU in safe mode and normal mode, no good.

Went to reinstall 14.9 (after DDU for the 3rd time) and... UNSIGNED DRIVER!

Had to run system restore.

Try again AMD.

Warsam71: Why is it that "hydravision" is always listed as being in the driver package, yet it is never available during setup?

I use hydragrid a lot, and have to have to keep the "14-4-mobility-win7-win8-win8.1-64-dd-ccc-whql" package just to be able to install Hydravision separately.

Same here,
This driver is pure trash
Have you uninstalled your existing drivers using DDU and then installed this driver fresh? I've installed it on three different systems all of which have different configs, different OSes and different AMD cards and it works fine on all three. So it can't be a widespread problem. There might be old driver files on your machine that are conflicting. DDU will resolve that problem.

I installed these drivers and my screen also got brighter, but also has this terrible blue hue to it. I cant adjust it out, no matter what I do.

Everyone: Make sure you download the correct installation package for your Operating System. Windows 7 has a different download and installer than Windows 8.x.

Yeah, this caught me off guard. When I first installed these it installed CCC and the like but not the actual driver. I didn't realize that they had split 8.1 and 7 into separate files for this release. Lots of people on Reddit ran into this problem too.

I mean it's simple enough to fix, but they should probably make it more clear that this time there are separate files for Win 7 and 8. (instead of being combined like usual)

I installed these drivers and my screen also got brighter, but also has this terrible blue hue to it. I cant adjust it out, no matter what I do.

If you're using HDMI, in CCC make sure you set the pixel format correctly (My Digital Flat-panels -> Pixel Format -> RGB 4:4:4 Full RGB), or whatever you were using before.

Last edited:
I was the person on Reddit explaining that they needed to download the right versions. I passed that thread along to AMD so they'd see this was a communication issue for sure.

I played a fair amount of WoW, The Old Republic, Battlefield 4 and streamed some netflix and no problems so I call it a win. :D

Alright, scratch the part about "Try again AMD" and insert "Try again Microsoft."

The problem was with KB3004394 that was released today on Windows Update (it's an update for the root certificate).

I uninstalled the update and the driver is working fine.

Botched Windows updates three months in a row. Pathetic Microsoft, just pathetic...

The reason I wanted to install the driver was because it said there were Far Cry 4 performance improvements. I didn't go into any full benchmarks, but checked the frame rate with Afterburner's OSD.

I walked around some trees where I had the game saved and found the lowest frame rate I could. It was varying between 50-55fps (I can't say it leaned one way or the other, it wouldn't stay still). After installing 14.12 I'm getting a minimum of 57 and an average of around 60-62 in the same area.

Not too shabby.

This is with a 7970.

There appears to be a corrupt file in there somewhere. I got a box that said unsigned drivers were trying to be installed (for the display driver and the HDMI audio driver). I rebooted and allowed unsigned drivers and it looked like it installed, except the screen didn't go black and come back on like it usually does when the driver is updated. I tried installing manually from device manager and that's when it said it was unsuccessful and that there might be a corrupt file.

Try again AMD.

Last edited:
Ugh, not sure what to think of these drivers. I think COD AW performance has improved but I'm getting a lot of hitching and stuttering with the same settings where as the previous drivers ran it without hitching and stuttering.

Where is the flipping Virtual Super Resolution setting?

Presets are still messed up and this one had the all black screens after install BS.

Last edited:
Ugh, not sure what to think of these drivers. I think COD AW performance has improved but I'm getting a lot of hitching and stuttering with the same settings where as the previous drivers ran it without hitching and stuttering.

Try installing the drivers again :)

Where is the flipping Virtual Super Resolution setting?

Presets are still messed up and this one had the all black screens after install BS.

Look under My Digital Flat-Panels in CCC. There you will see Properties (Digital Flat-Panel). Place a check into Enable Virtual Super Resolution. Make sure that you enable it for all of your monitors.

Try again AMD.

Hello Prime2515102 (Everyone),

I just updated my OP, with information about the issue you are experiencing. Please take a moment to read it...I hope you'll find it helpful.

Look under My Digital Flat-Panels in CCC. There you will see Properties (Digital Flat-Panel). Place a check into Enable Virtual Super Resolution. Make sure that you enable it for all of your monitors.

I don't have that setting. The driver shows the new version. ??? Under "My Digital Displays" I have "Panel Information", Image Scaling Preferences" and Color Depth.

It's for games. Why on earth is it not under "Gaming" or "3d Application Settings"?????????????

Have you uninstalled your existing drivers using DDU and then installed this driver fresh? I've installed it on three different systems all of which have different configs, different OSes and different AMD cards and it works fine on all three. So it can't be a widespread problem. There might be old driver files on your machine that are conflicting. DDU will resolve that problem.

Yep, DDU all the time in between attempts.

I don't have that setting. The driver shows the new version. ??? Under "My Digital Displays" I have "Panel Information", Image Scaling Preferences" and Color Depth.

It's for games. Why on earth is it not under "Gaming" or "3d Application Settings"?????????????

You have installed the wrong version of the drivers.

Because it's a resolution control option. Resolution control always belongs in displays, not in gaming.

Ok, these drivers work for me. For anyone looking to use these for "The Crew", these drivers fix a few things. Stuttering is still there but not as frequent. I used the DSR and the game is crisper.

I play a bit of Guild Wars 2 so I'll be able to check that out tonight as well.

Because it's a resolution control option. Resolution control always belongs in displays, not in gaming.

But it only works with games and you are not changing the resolution. I would say it's not a resolution control option. The resolution is unchanged, right?

Like I said, it says its the new driver. "14.12 AMD Catalyst Omega Software"

I think he's referring to the fact that there is 2 versions of this driver. The win7 and win 8 versions are different in this release.

Alright, scratch the part about "Try again AMD" and insert "Try again Microsoft."

The problem was with KB3004394 that was released today on Windows Update (it's an update for the root certificate).

I uninstalled the update and the driver is working fine.

Botched Windows updates three months in a row. Pathetic Microsoft, just pathetic...

The reason I wanted to install the driver was because it said there were Far Cry 4 performance improvements. I didn't go into any full benchmarks, but checked the frame rate with Afterburner's OSD.

I walked around some trees where I had the game saved and found the lowest frame rate I could. It was varying between 50-55fps (I can't say it leaned one way or the other, it wouldn't stay still). After installing 14.12 I'm getting a minimum of 57 and an average of around 60-62 in the same area.

Not too shabby.

This is with a 7970.

I struggled with this for over an hour with my new R9 280. Came to [H], saw this thread, uninstalled the KB3004394, and the AMD drivers installed flawlessly.

So I just tried VSR out with my 290 and a 1080p 120hz monitor. I VSR'd to 2560x1440 @ 100hz and damn I'm really impressed. Played a little BF4 with mantle which was butter smooth and looked amazing. If you have the hardware you should for sure give this a try.
But it only works with games and you are not changing the resolution. I would say it's not a resolution control option. The resolution is unchanged, right?
You can choose to change your desktop resolution to something higher if you want as well.

Last edited:
some games like titan fall wont even start for me. No games accept my 880 overclock. Is this the fault of that KB floating around in windows?.

I have video corruption issues waking the computer. I have to restart in order for it to be corrected.

I had identical issues with the previous beta drivers when it wasn't waking at all.

Do you guys have the same issues? Using these drivers on a tri-fire 290x setup.

Warsam71: Why is it that "hydravision" is always listed as being in the driver package, yet it is never available during setup?...

good question, out of all the drivers i've used over past few years, i only remember one that actually installed hydravision

Anyone else getting constant bluescreens playing video with these drivers? Trying to load a youtube or twitch video nets me a BSOD 1 out of 3 tries.

Anyone else getting constant bluescreens playing video with these drivers? Trying to load a youtube or twitch video nets me a BSOD 1 out of 3 tries.

Did you try removing the update mentioned in this thread?

Last edited:
I have video corruption issues waking the computer. I have to restart in order for it to be corrected.

I had identical issues with the previous beta drivers when it wasn't waking at all.

Do you guys have the same issues? Using these drivers on a tri-fire 290x setup.

Nope.

Did you try removing the update mentioned in this thread?

I don't have the update installed in the first place, but I did not have any issues installing the drivers either. My games work great, just when I play video I get constant BSOD. If I revert back to 14.9/14.11 they stop immediately. I tried both Chrome and IE11 and they do the same thing.

so....

this is the first driver I have had break my system in a very long time

it is looking like a system restore as I am not even able to roll back to the previous driver that was working now.

2@ HD6950 X58 7 64bit

users beware, this thing is borked

so....

this is the first driver I have had break my system in a very long time

it is looking like a system restore as I am not even able to roll back to the previous driver that was working now.

2@ HD6950 X58 7 64bit

users beware, this thing is borked

what happened? I'm downloading the driver as we speak.

what happened? I'm downloading the driver as we speak.

It was crazy, fell out to a super low resolution before the prompt for reboot

booted back in at low res and lost my eyefinity config, try and open CCC to fix it and get a yellow triangle exclamation point dialog that there are no settings that can be made with CCC

can't open CCC so can't even get to the "express uninstall all AMD" option, navigate to old downloads and try putting the old driver over it...same behavior

fortunately system restored to yesterday without issue

edit/ so, it is probably the KB3004394 issue, but this is cute; update history shows it installed, but programs and features/view installed updates, where I could uninstall it from doesn't show it...smh

Last edited:
I got this issue after installing and rebooting to complete:

fail2_zps7f2e6bce.png

^ yeah, that's it

it is KB3004394 pushed by MS yesterday...let me know if you figure out how to get rid of it

Back