AMD Special Edition Driver: Catalyst Omega

Warsam71

AMD Community Manager
Hello Everyone,

We’re happy to bring you our new, special edition driver called Catalyst Omega. This driver was engineered to take new advantage of the advanced technologies built into our products as we’ve found new ways of using an existing architecture to deliver exciting new features.

Before downloading the driver, I suggest you read the blog which provides information about its features, benefits and how this driver enables developers to deliver outstanding user experiences.

The Catalyst Omega special edition driver is the biggest and the best software upgrade AMD has released this year. It’s our way of saying ‘Thank you’ for providing your feedback by using our Issue Reporting Form all along…very helpful.

Click here to download the driver. (You can choose to use either our Driver Autodetect Tool or select your operating system version which will take you to the corresponding download page).

For instructions on how to uninstall or install the AMD Catalyst Software Suite, you may refer to the following support resources:

• How-To Uninstall AMD Catalyst™ Drivers From A Windows® Based System
• How-To Install AMD Catalyst™ Drivers For A Windows® Based System

Please make sure to read the Feature Highlights and the Known Issues sections to learn more about this version of the driver and continue to use the Issue Reporting Form to report any issues/bugs you may find.

Thank you and Happy Holidays.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello again everyone,

I have an update for you:

Some users have reported that the Catalyst Omega drivers are failing to install since the drivers are ‘unsigned’ and the device manager shows a Code 52 error.

The Catalyst Omega driver is WHQL certified, so all components are signed.

The root cause is Microsoft update KB3004394 – (Windows Root Certificate Program in Windows) which was pushed yesterday.

Uninstalling the update fixes the driver installation issue.

You can read more about the various issues this update causes here

Note that this update affects both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users since the KB is applicable to both OS versions.

Last edited:
I just installed this driver on my Q9550 machine with an HD6950 2GB card and the screen got a bit brighter after the driver installed.
Was running the current14.11 beta drivers previously.

I just installed this driver on my Q9550 machine with an HD6950 2GB card and the screen got a bit brighter after the driver installed.
Was running the current14.11 beta drivers previously.

Great. I hope you'll enjoy the new features of the driver. Did you by any chance read the Blog? Lots of useful info there...

thanks for the driver, it's good to see the corps actually working with users to improve,
you could do that on the cpu side also, ha ha
but anyways, so what is the meaning of OMEGA?
omega as in THE END? or what

Great. I hope you'll enjoy the new features of the driver. Did you by any chance read the Blog? Lots of useful info there...

going to read it shortly, I just saw a thread about the drivers an hour ago and downloaded them and install them.

thanks for the driver, it's good to see the corps actually working with users to improve,
you could do that on the cpu side also, ha ha
but anyways, so what is the meaning of OMEGA?
omega as in THE END? or what

It's probably a nod to the old omega drivers of yesteryear.

So can anyone get the GVR in the AMD Gaming Evolved app to work? I was going to try streaming to see how it compared to OBS, but it keeps kicking out the same error over and over again.

The GameDVR encountered some other failure.
ERROR_GEN_FAILURE (31)

Local recording works just fine and looks almost identical to the original source. Twitch streaming is broken for some reason and kicks out that error above.

Last edited:
So can anyone get the GVR in the AMD Gaming Evolved app to work? I was going to try streaming to see how it compared to OBS, but it keeps kicking out the same error over and over again.

The GameDVR encountered some other failure.
ERROR_GEN_FAILURE (31)

Local recording works just fine and looks almost identical to the original source. Twitch streaming is broken for some reason and kicks out that error above.

Hello cageymaru,

If you don't mind, can you please use the Issue Reporting Form (see OP for link) to report this issue? We have a team actively monitoring this type of feedback. Thank you in advance.

This is cool. I have an R290X and this looks cool. I will download and install tomorrow at some point.

CCC displays my Catalyst version as 14.11.2 Beta.

Is anyone else experiencing that?

---

So I see this driver is older than 14.11.2 Beta, lovely :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hello cageymaru,

If you don't mind, can you please use the Issue Reporting Form (see OP for link) to report this issue? We have a team actively monitoring this type of feedback. Thank you in advance.

Yes, I reported it on the form. Thanks!

These drivers are fucked for me. This is the first time I have ran into issues with AMD drivers. First, the Gaming Evolved app download apparently timed out during installation. No problem, uninstalled the drivers/CCleaner and attempted to install again minus the gaming evolved app.

Look at software information post install: still running driver version 14.9. Go to software update in CCC, apparently there is a new CCC. Downloads files from within CCC, installs. Reboot, it tells me the same update I just downloaded is available still and my driver version is still 14.9.

Fuck this noise.

Last edited:
So none of these new features work for my 7970 even though my card is only a generation old (280x=7970) basically just another driver update :(

These drivers are fucked for me. This is the first time I have ran into issues with AMD drivers. First, the Gaming Evolved app download apparently timed out during installation. No problem, uninstalled the drivers/CCleaner and attempted to install again minus the gaming evolved app.

Look at software information post install: still running driver version 14.9. Go to software update in CCC, apparently there is a new CCC. Downloads files from within CCC, installs. Reboot, it tells me the same update I just downloaded is available still and my driver version is still 14.9.

Fuck this noise.

Download the latest version of DDU from here.
Allow It to go into Safe Mode and remove the old drivers.
Install new drivers and you should be fine. If not come back and hopefully someone can help you out. DDU will probably be updated for these new drivers soon as the author seems to update his program quite frequently.

2x 7950 here. According to my experience, do not bother. Lower performance in Unigine Valley. Significantly lower in fact. Both in crossfire and off of it. Going to try some games and report back.

With Omega drivers, crossfire enabled, cards overclocked 1125/1350

http://prntscr.com/5evjuo

With latest beta, crossfire enabled, cards overclocked 1125/1350

http://prntscr.com/5evkv2

Perfect timing. Just bought a 290x Lightning that should be here in a couple days. Will be fun to try out some new software with it.

I did a clean uninstall of the latest betas and ran the installation of these so I'll see how they perform later on today with my new 295X2. Gotta get in one last review before one of my CS finals today :eek:

[406493] Displays that go in to sleep mode intermittently causes the display to not wake up

This is not fixed.

Ignoring serious issues (not just this one) for months is one thing, but to LIE about fixing them? No, I'm done with AMD.

-------------------------------

It seems that I precipitated myself into a wrong conclusion. Apparently there were problems correctly installing the driver so, technically, I was still using old drivers when the problem occurred.

My sincerest apologies to AMD.

Last edited:
Unfortunately VSR isn't supported on my 7990 :( Hopefully they decide to support it when they add support to the R9 GPU's without scaler chips, but I'm not holding my breath. It would be nice to have, but I'm certainly not going to upgrade my GPU for another year or two yet.

Hahahahahaha........shit........WTF?

I D/L the package AND THERE'S NO GRAPHICS DRIVERS IN THE DOWNLOAD.......

My head hurts.

VSR is awesome in Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition. Game looks great with eye candy enabled. I even cut on MLAA in CCC. I guess it is helping the game out. Regardless I like what I see!

Well then......

My first d/l from AMD only recognized W 8.1 and I run W7.

I deleted and re-d/l the package and it gave me W7 drivers this time......yikes.

downloaded and tried to install, and it keeps crashing every single time mid-install. Anyone else having this problem?

uninstalled and it still keeps crashing when i try to install.

Well then......

My first d/l from AMD only recognized W 8.1 and I run W7.

I deleted and re-d/l the package and it gave me W7 drivers this time......yikes.
The driver packages for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 are actually different for this driver. I had to download them separately as I have one machine on 7 and two on 8.1. Make sure you are installing the right package for your OS.

This is not fixed.

Ignoring serious issues (not just this one) for months is one thing, but to LIE about fixing them? No, I'm done with AMD.
I doubt they are lying about it. There may be some edge cases that they missed or something. I haven't had the black screen problem on either of my two PCs that exhibited it since I installed this driver. Granted, it was fairly intermittent before, so we'll how it goes over the next few days.

I doubt they are lying about it. There may be some edge cases that they missed or something. I haven't had the black screen problem on either of my two PCs that exhibited it since I installed this driver. Granted, it was fairly intermittent before, so we'll how it goes over the next few days.

For some reason it wasn't installing properly for me, apparently. If I was using 14.11.2 it kept that driver and if I removed the drivers and did a clean install it would say 14.9

Now it says 14.12 with the correct driver package (14.501) so it would seem I have jumped to conclusions.

Everyone: Make sure you download the correct installation package for your Operating System. Windows 7 has a different download and installer than Windows 8.x.

Everyone: Make sure you download the correct installation package for your Operating System. Windows 7 has a different download and installer than Windows 8.x.

You are correct, but when I went to the download page, all I saw was a big DOWNLOAD button.
There was no delineation between 8.1 and 7 that I could see.

The only way I knew something was fucked up was the name of the executable.

I had to go through it three times before I guess by mistake I chose the correct version?

You are correct, but when I went to the download page, all I saw was a big DOWNLOAD button.
There was no delineation between 8.1 and 7 that I could see.

The only way I knew something was fucked up was the name of the executable.

I had to go through it three times before I guess by mistake I chose the correct version?

That was probably my experience. If Windows 8.1 requires a different version of the driver than Windows 7 they should explicitly say so.

I let AMD know about the issue and I believe they are looking into adding some sort of safeguard or version checking and/or making the downloads page more clear.

I fixed my black screen issues by basically disabling Link State Power Management. Should I enabled that now with this driver? My computer is on a 45 minutes sleep timer and a 20 minute monitor turn off timer, I dont know how much it will really matter

Back