AMD: Sorry, No Official Ryzen Drivers for Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know you can just ignore it all? This stuff is on every platform you use nowadays. Yes it is bull shit but Apple and Google Data mine and funnel you towards their app store for years. I don't like as much everyone else but it something that is not going away. None of it bothers me and I still have yet to even open the windows store. It boils down to people hating change. So what shit is in a different space? I would thing the intellegence on this forum to be on the higher end but get easily defeated and frustrated over a option being moved to a new location? It didn't even take me a week to get use to windows 10.

My computer is not a silly little media consumption device like a phone nor a tablet. As annoying and wrong as this shit is on phones on tablets, it is completely unacceptable on a general purpose computing platform.

Heck, Microsoft was sued by the DOJ for this very type of behavior back in the day.

I will never submit to a company controlling my computer experience. That experience is mine, and mine alone to control. This is the main reason Windows has been demoted to a gaming only OS for me.

Sometimes I go months without running a game. In those cases I also go months without booting up windows.

It's likely called a big, fat check from MS. ;)

It's called Microsoft isn't going to update Windows 7 for new silicon anymore and that as of now Windows 7 has 35 months of official extended support left. That might very well change like it did with XP with Microsoft extending XP support a few times. But I wouldn't count on it. We just word on our 10 migration schedule, apps need to be certified Windows 10 compatible this summer, local, web, anything that runs on 7 today that's not being retired before the end of this year has to be 10 compatible or you have to file a plan to make it compatible.

So while almost three years seems like a long time, it's really not and we're at the point where enterprises are getting serious about migration to 10. Of course, for enterprise customers, forced and updates and telemetry aren't an issue if you're already handling that stuff in 7, we manage updates, anti-virus and intrusion detection on our own.

It's not Ryzen nor Intel, its MS. They won't allow any new cpus to support EOL OS. This was announced way before Ryzen. Then AMD said yea they can make drivers for Win7, then well I would guess as it got closer to release MS flexed their muscles.

I hear ya. I'm also referencing that if Ryzen doesn't live up to hype/expectation. If the release is found to be not a Intel level competitor, this news will cause an even harder sell from enthusiasts. If this news is completely accurate and 7 is not or limited supported, if the max performance numbers in Win 10 doesn't match up or exceed Intel's offering, it will have a tougher selling road. again with enthusiasts, normal consumers are oblivious to all of this.

I hear ya. I'm also referencing that if Ryzen doesn't live up to hype/expectation. If the release is found to be not a Intel level competitor, this news will cause an even harder sell from enthusiasts. If this news is completely accurate and 7 is not or limited supported, if the max performance numbers in Win 10 doesn't match up or exceed Intel's offering, it will have a tougher selling road. again with enthusiasts, normal consumers are oblivious to all of this.

Ok... let me ask you this. Why does AMD have to be cheaper then on top of that, match or exceed Intel too? WTF?

Ok... let me ask you this. Why does AMD have to be cheaper then on top of that, match or exceed Intel too? WTF?

Yeah, they should target the same price for the same performance. They are not a charity. They need revenues fro what they sell just as much as Intel does.

They might want to go in slightly below Intel's pricing to drive some market share growth, but if I were them I wouldn't undercut Intel by a lot. Just enough to look attractive in comparison at the same performance level.

I'd be more upset if I hadn't switched the house to Linux back in October.

Still seems like a terrible decision though. Windows 7 is the dominant OS and Windows 10 is awful.
You realize that Microsoft support for win7 is ending right? And no, win 10 isnt awful.

I am IT-technician at a hospital and were Rolling out win10 soon. Win7 has so many problems with corrupt profiles, bad ssd and wifi support.

So, after someone at AMD confirmed directly to Kyle via email last week that they'll have Windows 7 drivers they are now walking that back?

Or maybe it's one of those "we won't support it on Windows 7 to placate Microsoft, but the drivers are there and work if you want them" type of deals.

my bet is the drivers will say windows 10 but it'll technically work just fine on windows 7 and 10.. feels more like microsoft pressuring them to say they only officially support windows 10..

still not a good enough excuse for me to bother having to install windows 10.. release a game thats dx12 only that i actually give a crap about and maybe i'll consider it.

My computer is not a silly little media consumption device like a phone nor a tablet. As annoying and wrong as this shit is on phones on tablets, it is completely unacceptable on a general purpose computing platform.

It has it's place, even on the desktop. Computing devices are not islands, a LOT of what makes them interesting is there ability to share data. I can write a reminder on a Surface with the pen, the Sticky Notes app understands the context and asks me if I want to put the reminder on my calendar which is instantly shared across all devices using the same Microsoft account. I get that there are those that just want to shut all of that down and as much of a Microsoft fanboy I'm called, I constantly leave feedback on this to Microsoft because I listen. But this is the kind of stuff that's made people go NUTS over mobile devices and it's the kind of functionality that's expected today by countless millions.

Heck, Microsoft was sued by the DOJ for this very type of behavior back in the day.

Not at all the same thing really. The rise and dominance of mobile computing has rewritten the computing landscape since those days.

I will never submit to a company controlling my computer experience. That experience is mine, and mine alone to control. This is the main reason Windows has been demoted to a gaming only OS for me.

Sometimes I go months without running a game. In those cases I also go months without booting up windows.

Gaming is just one aspect of it to me. There's so much Windows only stuff that I use across the spectrum trying to replicate all that capability on Linux or macOS is basically not possible. Gaming just makes it impossible.

Get over yourself. I use it for more then media consumption too. None it bothers me. I didn't like it at first either. I got over it. It is not going to change so get use to it. Linux is never going to take over. It is too small of a market for any company to care about. Drivers and productivity software is lacking greatly.

From what I understand there are discernible hardware use improvements with 10. Newer technology hardware may work on 7 but in many cases it works better and faster on 10.

Show me a link where hardware works "better and faster" on 10 than 8.1 or 7. I'm genuinely curious.

Because marketing bulletpoints throw around "better, faster, safer, more secure" but with nothing to ever back it up.

Last edited:
Gaming is just one aspect of it to me. There's so much Windows only stuff that I use across the spectrum trying to replicate all that capability on Linux or macOS is basically not possible. Gaming just makes it impossible.

I used to feel that way, but over time I've felt that I need the Windows software less and less. I still have a VM in Windows just in case it turns out I need some Windows software for something, but as time goes on, it foes longer and longer without ever booting up. Can't remember the last time I needed it honestly.

A big one was when I moved from an iPhone to Android back in 2012. Suddenly I didn't need that garbage that was iTunes anymore.

This won't affect me. My Ryzen build, if I get one, will be going on Linux.
Serious question. What do you on your Linux computer that would benefit a Ryzen upgrade over what you have in your signature?

I'm not sure how you got Windows 10 "worshiping" out of my post. Read my other posts as well, I said I have no problem with people using/loving Windows 7. It's a great OS. But the fact of the matter is, it's on extended support and eventually it's going to be EoL.

By that chicken little logic, eventually Windows 10 will be EOL too, so why install it in the first place?

The reality is Windows 7 will be patched for 3 more years, and 8.1 will be supported for 6 more, so I don't see the urgency to install 10, especially when it takes away more than it adds for the typical desktop user coming from 7. There are no significant must-have features, just a lot of phone app bloatware, ugly tiles, telemetry and advertising, and feature erosion occuring every update - just ask the people that had configured GPO's that MS then removed in the Anniversary Update.

If anything, waiting 3 years gives Microsoft time to pull their heads out of their asses, back off on the consumer-hostile stuff in 10 and actually make it a better OS, so that if/when you do install 10 it'll theoretically be less of the unfinished beta with an identity crisis of mobile and advertising features as it exists today.

Last edited:
Get over yourself. I use it for more then media consumption too. None it bothers me. I didn't like it at first either. I got over it. It is not going to change so get use to it. Linux is never going to take over. It is too small of a market for any company to care about. Drivers and productivity software is lacking greatly.

Complacency ruins everything.

I want to run OS2/Warp and BeOS!
I'm not sure how you got Windows 10 "worshiping" out of my post. Read my other posts as well, I said I have no problem with people using/loving Windows 7. It's a great OS. But the fact of the matter is, it's on extended support and eventually it's going to be EoL.

Simple, the fact that you mentioned windows 10 complainers implies it.

Simple, the fact that you mentioned windows 10 complainers implies it.

So mentioning that these threads always get run into the ground by Windows 10 haters implies that I worship it? Brilliant logic.

By that chicken little logic, eventually Windows 10 will be EOL too, so why install it in the first place?

The reality is Windows 7 will be patched for 3 more years, and 8.1 will be supported for 6 more, so I don't see the urgency to install 10

Okay, then you won't have driver support for the latest CPUs. *shrug*

I love linux for everything but gaming

I switched all my computers to Linux back in October when I discovered 1/3 of my Steam library is Linux native. Linux on the desktop has really become a viable option for a lot of gamers. All my favorite games run fine and all my hardware 'just works,' including Creative sound cards and my Marvell/Highpoint RAID arrays.

If you'd told me this was going to happen a couple years ago I would have laughed at you. I figured Microsoft would have gotten things together by now.

So mentioning that these threads always get run into the ground by Windows 10 haters implies that I worship it? Brilliant logic.
It is, but you will of course, fail to see it.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/01/15/windows-10-embracing-silicon-innovation/

“Windows 7 was designed nearly 10 years ago before any x86/x64 SOCs existed.
What?

Look, it's x86. It will run Windows 1.0 if you bloody want it to! The drivers are only to support specific extensions which are not in the official x86 instruction set. CPU drivers, in fact, do very LITTLE to enhance the OS experience.
This! I don't get this discussion at all. It's not like it won't boot Windows 7. Some special power saving state won't be supported? Boofuckinghooo, cry me a river. This is such a non issue.

Win7 has so many problems with corrupt profiles, bad ssd and wifi support.
Sounds like PEBKAC.

I was reading and it had a lot more to do with the IGP drivers not being available for Win7. So yes, Kaby Lake or whatever will work, but there is no "official" IGP driver for Win7. A CPU is a CPU, as long as x86 and x64 are supported it will work.

I switched all my computers to Linux back in October when I discovered 1/3 of my Steam library is Linux native. Linux on the desktop has really become a viable option for a lot of gamers. All my favorite games run fine and all my hardware 'just works,' including Creative sound cards and my Marvell/Highpoint RAID arrays.

If you'd told me this was going to happen a couple years ago I would have laughed at you. I figured Microsoft would have gotten things together by now.
Yes as just a every day desktop it is fine. Graphic drivers are crap for it. None of the big professional productivity suit like Adobe and final cut work natively in Linux. That's nice that 1/3 work but what about the other 2/3? 95% of up coming AAA won't support Linux. If it does it won't be for at least a year after release. Not hating on you for using Linux but it just will never take over like some keep thinking it will.

Show me a link where hardware works "better and faster" on 10 than 8.1 or 7. I'm genuinely curious.

Because marketing bulletpoints throw around "better, faster, safer, more secure" but with nothing to ever back it up.

There are a few quality of life improvements in Windows 10 that aren't easy to measure, but I don't think should be ignored. I don't have a link to show you, but a simple and obvious improvement from 7 to 10 is in UEFI support and integration. UEFI configured systems bootup much faster on 10.
Additionally, from a support perspective, installations tend to move much more easily from one box to another. So if a system dies, from a bad motherboard, it's not unreasonable for an IT guy to pull the hard drive, slap it in another box, and be up and running in a matter of minutes. Although not impossible, that's rarely an option in a Windows 7 environment.

Sure, Windows 10 has more telemetry features, but if you think every other program and website on the internet isn't doing the same, you're fooling yourself. I do agree that the popups trying to convince me that edge will save battery life on my desktop are silly, but a small concession to make.

Yes as just a every day desktop it is fine. Graphic drivers are crap for it. None of the big professional productivity suit like Adobe and final cut work natively in Linux. That's nice that 1/3 work but what about the other 2/3? 95% of up coming AAA won't support Linux. If it does it won't be for at least a year after release. Not hating on you for using Linux but it just will never take over like some keep thinking it will.

Reboots are faster than ever, and I actually like having a lean gaming install with nothing else installed that might conflict with my games.

As far as productivity goes, unless you are an actual professional, the free work-alike tools Linux offers mostly suffice. If you really want overpriced Adobe stuff, some of them actually run quite well in Wine, and if you don't like dicking around with Wine (who does, it's a major pita) there are tools that can help with that, like Crossover Linux.

There are some tradeoffs for sure, but I find the tradeoffs are more than worth it.

While we're on the topic of Ryzen, has anyone heard how Kyle's meet 'n greet went with AMD? Or has it occurred yet?

It'd be cool if Kyle could confirm or deny some of these recent Ryzen reports.

I'm sure AMD didn't just arbitrarily decide to exclude Windows 7. There must be a pretty good reason behind it. I'm sure we'll find out why eventually.

Wonder how much Microsoft paid them to not support Windows 7?

Now we have both major CPU makers no longer supporting Windows 7 with their latest generation CPUs.
How long before we have printers, scanners and other devices only supporting Windows 10?

While I still prefer Windows 7, I've already made the switch to Windows 10 on my new system, and half my existing ones.
I've also started the gradual rollout on 10 in the office. All new systems are being imaged with Windows 10 enterprise, and any systems I rebuild, I'm rebuilding with 10.

Only exception is users who still run a very old app that doesn't work with 10. They will stay with 7 until the app gets replaced (hopefully by the end of the year)
Be glad when I can dump the old windows 2003 servers this app requires to run.

You realize that Microsoft support for win7 is ending right? And no, win 10 isnt awful.

I am IT-technician at a hospital and were Rolling out win10 soon. Win7 has so many problems with corrupt profiles, bad ssd and wifi support.

>>I am IT-technician at a hospital and were Rolling out win10 soon.

Good news is job security will be ensured. (y)

I'm also an IT guy and I'm out on the front lines every day.
So I see the issues caused by Windows 10 across many machines on an every day basis.

I just had to do another Windows 10 re-install on a randomly crashing business laptop yesterday.
Frown face BSOD "DPC_Watchdog" errors while the user was in the middle of doing things.

I did a re-install retaining apps and files and it seems to be running fine now.
I don't remember the last time I had to re-install Windows 7 for anything similar.

I don't *hate* Windows 10, but I have plenty of first hand evidence that Windows 7 is more stable.

Get ready for issues on laptops, wireless & power management mainly.
Some issues on desktops too. Random weird stuff on both platforms.

I have a few machines that still suffer from the Windows 10 DHCP bug that Microsoft claims to have fixed.

I run Windows 7 on my home office machine, that will not be changing any time soon.

Last edited:
I was reading and it had a lot more to do with the IGP drivers not being available for Win7. So yes, Kaby Lake or whatever will work, but there is no "official" IGP driver for Win7. A CPU is a CPU, as long as x86 and x64 are supported it will work.
I don't know what you mean by official, but motherboard manufacturers and Microsoft provide Kaby Lake GPU drivers for Win 7.

There are a few quality of life improvements in Windows 10 that aren't easy to measure, but I don't think should be ignored. I don't have a link to show you, but a simple and obvious improvement from 7 to 10 is in UEFI support and integration. UEFI configured systems bootup much faster on 10.
Additionally, from a support perspective, installations tend to move much more easily from one box to another. So if a system dies, from a bad motherboard, it's not unreasonable for an IT guy to pull the hard drive, slap it in another box, and be up and running in a matter of minutes. Although not impossible, that's rarely an option in a Windows 7 environment.
UEFI works fine on 7 and caring about boot times is so 2000's. The migration part is plain false. Win 7 has no problems migrating to new systems, generation to generation or Intel<->AMD. Uninstall drivers, clone, install drivers, done.

Sure, Windows 10 has more telemetry features, but if you think every other program and website on the internet isn't doing the same, you're fooling yourself.
There is no program or website that has access to my files and data like Win 10 has.

I'm also an IT guy and I'm out on the front lines every day.
So I see the issues caused by Windows 10 across many machines on an every day basis.

I just had to do another Windows 10 re-install on a randomly crashing business laptop yesterday.
Frown face BSOD "DTC_Watchdog" errors while the user was in the middle of doing things.

I did a re-install retaining apps and files and it seems to be running fine now.
I had a pleasure of getting a call support for a constant screen flickering and unusable Win 10 laptop caused by an Office 365 installation. No solution, the problem persisted even in Safe Mode.

I'm with Zarathustra[H], my Windows 10 PC is (was) used for gaming. However, as time goes on I'm using that machine less and less in favour of Linux - These days I'm lucky to fire it up twice a month, and even then it's only to test a fix I'm going to implement on a clients PC.

Considering my typical usage scenario I just have no need for Windows anymore and refuse to submit to their overhanded tactics.

I had a pleasure of getting a call support for a constant screen flickering and unusable Win 10 laptop caused by an Office 365 installation. No solution, the problem persisted even in Safe Mode.

That is weird. My first guess for something like screen flickering would be that it was a hardware issue.

The laptop that was blowing up also had Office 365 on it.

Try turning off Hardware Graphics Acceleration under Advanced Options (in Office apps).
I've had that fix some of the Office crashes.

That is weird. My first guess for something like screen flickering would be that it was a hardware issue.
Nope. Lots of discussions on the Internet on this issue with no clear and universal solution. I've tried everything I could find (drivers, services, programs) but nothing worked. The worst part is it was present in Safe Mode too. In the end a complete uninstall of Office was the only way to fix it. My guess is MS messed up something related to Explorer. I could understand the drivers or 3rd party programs being at fault, but MS's own Win10 services (fix that worked for some) or Office suite, that is inexcusable.

The laptop that was blowing up also had Office 365 on it.

Try turning off Hardware Graphics Acceleration under Advanced Options (in Office apps).
I've had that fix some of the Office crashes..
Interesting. Office wasn't running though.

I used to feel that way, but over time I've felt that I need the Windows software less and less. I still have a VM in Windows just in case it turns out I need some Windows software for something, but as time goes on, it foes longer and longer without ever booting up. Can't remember the last time I needed it honestly.

A big one was when I moved from an iPhone to Android back in 2012. Suddenly I didn't need that garbage that was iTunes anymore.

I've looked into moving to Linux off and on for almost 20 years now. You talk about having control over your PC and I get that. I don't see how not doing certain things is really a sign of more control, it's simply a matter of exchanging one set of preferences and problems for others. I just ordered a Logitech Brio webcam. Looks like the best webcam ever, no official Linux support, no Windows Hello for sure.

I've looked into moving to Linux off and on for almost 20 years now. You talk about having control over your PC and I get that. I don't see how not doing certain things is really a sign of more control, it's simply a matter of exchanging one set of preferences and problems for others. I just ordered a Logitech Brio webcam. Looks like the best webcam ever, no official Linux support, no Windows Hello for sure.
And we know Windows 10 did wonders for millions of webcam owners with one of its main beautiful reliable updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back