AMD Shows Off The Radeon HD 7990

Maybe he doesn't throw Skyrim at it, therefore, it's not a concern. :p

Yep, everyone's usage is different, and therefore their needs are different.

I tend to play lighter games (not by design, it's jst that the ones I have liked lately have been lighter in GPU use) which is why I am able to get away with a single Titan on my 2560x1600 monitor. (before which I used a single GTX680.)

If I played more graphically intense games, this probably would not be possible.

The last game I played through (Deus Ex HR) was able to run flat at 60fps (synced to screen) with ~75% GPU load, with everything maxed. So for some games it's possible.

Even some older, more demanding games are rough though. I can definitely not do the same with Metro 2033, despite it being 3 years old now.

Battlefield 4 Demo Ran on AMD Radeon HD 7990 'Malta' Video Card
http://www.legitreviews.com/news/15327/

Does LR receive a lot of pole smoke money from AMD? Because that article was worded to make it seem that BF4 will not work at all on an nVidia equipped system and all AMD GPUs are exponentially faster than any nVidia GPU. IOW, it seemed like a copy & paste right from AMD's product page. And damn, the sheer stupidity emanating from the comments is both depressing and hilarious. :p

OASN: I'm very interested to see this thing get through the [H] review wringer. I still think it's late to the game, but better late than never, I suppose. I speculate it will have a lead over 690 at about 5-10% in most games, be on par with it on some, and lag behind in a couple/few. I'm very curious to see what the power draw and heat is like.

Zarathustra[H];1039742398 said:
Yeah, unless you go up in resolution to 2560x1600 / 2560x1440, or go multi-monitor, there really isn't much of a reason to get the top end cards these days.

That probably won't be the case through the rest of the year. Crysis 3 and Tomb Raider are already limited at Ultra with a single 680/7970 at 1080p.

Zarathustra[H];1039742911 said:
Yep, everyone's usage is different, and therefore their needs are different.

I tend to play lighter games (not by design, it's jst that the ones I have liked lately have been lighter in GPU use) which is why I am able to get away with a single Titan on my 2560x1600 monitor. (before which I used a single GTX680.)

If I played more graphically intense games, this probably would not be possible.

The last game I played through (Deus Ex HR) was able to run flat at 60fps (synced to screen) with ~75% GPU load, with everything maxed. So for some games it's possible.

Even some older, more demanding games are rough though. I can definitely not do the same with Metro 2033, despite it being 3 years old now.

One thing to consider is that the memory bandwidth plays a greater role at high resolutions, not so much the geometry processing capabilities of the GPU. On this, the GTX TITAN memory bandwidth is just 288.4 GB/sec, while this AMD Radeon 7990 is 480 GB/sec. The AMD Radeon 7990 is likely to be better for extending the resolutions.

I really wish that Nvidia/AMD fix the sli/crossfire bugs.

I would get a 2nd gtx 580 tomorrow if it didn't have microstuttering.

AMD out.
Not that forum handles are relevant to the thread, but I'm guessing he chose "amdgamer" because 8 years ago, the X2 was the best processor one could purchase and he is a PC gamer. :)

Actually, 8 years ago I chose a user name of junehhan. However, my big fear back then was that I would say or do something scandalous which is bad since the internet is a permanent record these days. I chose amdgamer several years ago and had the admins merge my two profiles into one so that I kept all of my original history. These days, I am much more mellow than I used to be. I don't even have a gaming computer right now as I just don't have the time anymore.

Says the guy named, "amdgamer". Anything over $500 is not a price point segment, it is an enthusiast and hardcore segment. And top performance always requires exponentially more cost. The higher you go, the more cost and the smaller the gains.

The price point segments are all lower than that $500 break point.

Anything that provides competition is a good thing in my point of view. Also, not everyone has room for or wants to run multiple video cards in their rig. Sometimes, you would rather just do it all on a single piece of PCB.

I think you missed the point. Introducing another flagship means bringing other faster card prices down. He wasn't talking about the price of the 7990.

Yup!

I would have preferred to see an entirely new generation of cards, because the 7000 series came out in December 2011 and AMD is way too late in releasing this, but if it can keep up with the Titan and GTX 690, so be it.

One thing to consider is that the memory bandwidth plays a greater role at high resolutions, not so much the geometry processing capabilities of the GPU. On this, the GTX TITAN memory bandwidth is just 288.4 GB/sec, while this AMD Radeon 7990 is 480 GB/sec. The AMD Radeon 7990 is likely to be better for extending the resolutions.

It will get a higher framerate, memor bandwith or not, but it will still be split over two GPU's and suffer all the issues that comes along with that.

I'm happier with a single GPU solution that's a little slower.

That probably won't be the case through the rest of the year. Crysis 3 and Tomb Raider are already limited at Ultra with a single 680/7970 at 1080p.

I wouldn't say they're already limited, but they're pretty close to the limit.

Memory bandwidth works like this:
-If you have enough, adding more doesnt really do anything
-If you don't have enough then you do limit performance

Geometry processing is very very important in high resolution also. Memory bandwidth is talked about a lot only because it has very little importance in low res and finnaly comes into play with higher resolutions.

Also, the 7990's B/W is spread across 2 GPU's, so if it is indeed 480GB/sec thats really only 240GB/sec to each GPU.

I think it's pretty good. I still have an old 6970 hd, and I was thinking on buying maybe a 680 or a 7970. this 7990 would be twice the power. I think that's pretty good.

Back