AMD shows off 3.0 GHz Barcelona with 3x2900 XT?

Oh Jesus Christ like AMD would fake having a real Phenom processor :rolleyes: Some people need to seriously take their heads out of their asses.

This is absolutely positively the best news I have seen on AMD for a long while and I am truly excited.

They hit 3GHz ...AWESOME.

I am not typically a conspiracy theorist, but I tend to agree with those here who question the authenticity of their claims. Everyone knows when you setup a rig like this, have CPU-z or something running ON SCREEN to show what it is.

I also agree that the WinSAT bench is oso lame. I hate synthetic benches as much as most ppl here at [H], but they are still better than WinSAT.

I want this all to be true, we need the competition to continue the price wars. Unfortunately, AMD is at rock bottom right now on pricing...

Can we be allowed to have a bit of optimism? It is posted as a 3.0Ghz Barcelona, and the [H] posted it. There are pictures floating around on the web, too.

Do you think AMD fooled all of the hardware journalists by editing the XML, showing a Barcelona/Tri-CF box, and then swapped it with a different box to run it and no one noticed? This isn't Penn and Teller, it's the [H]. I'd think people that have been around hardware for as long as they have might have noticed if something like that happened, don't you think :p?

This might be the only Barcelona able to hit 3.0Ghz, okay, but it is still good news because last we heard they weren't getting anywhere near that and this one has a stock HSF. A stock HSF tells us that it isn't strained to the max to get to that speed.

Now that Conroe has been out for over a year.... the only ones still running AMD in their systems are those who truly believe the AMD of 2007 can make a successful, market leading product launch.

My how the tides have changed.:D
Last month anyone asking about what AMD had to offer was berated by the teenage crowd here at the [H] for not having a 733t C2D! It was getting to the point, that you would think Intel paid people to post here and place doubt in everyones mind. Jebus how a month changes everything.
Now we need to see a motherboard with SMP and onboard physics maybe even a large fast L3 cache.

Last month anyone asking about what AMD had to offer was berated by the teenage crowd here at the [H] for not having a 733t C2D! It was getting to the point, that you would think Intel paid people to post here and place doubt in everyones mind. Jebus how a month changes everything.
Now we need to see a motherboard with SMP and onboard physics maybe even a large fast L3 cache.

haha, wait... it'll come.

2900xt could have gone a long way towards making the public at large feel good about AMD. Didn't happen.

Flipping heck doubter. :rolleyes:

Come on we want competetion so why are all of you shooting down amd in first sight.
The poster even stated hes seen the agena cores running, plus software crossfire is possible they have done it with the 19xx series. so they dont need a bridge.

Maybe because this company has lost almost ALL crediblity at this point.I'll beleive it when I see it on the shelves at NCIX for a decent price.That and when [H] reviews it properly. :)

I'm well past sick to death of screen shot pr stunts,and paper launch,after paper launch.

I'm pretty sure this won't change for awhile. Nothing has been launched and no one knows exactly how this will compare to Conroe or Penryn. Also, they demonstrated a Phenom at 3.0 but no one knows when one will actually be available. The best Phenom is supposed to launch at 2.4-2.6. This means that a 3.0 isn't likely for another couple of quarters as we're unlikely to see high clocked phenoms in any great quantity until 2008.

A 3.0 GHz Phenom is nice, don't get me wrong, but it's not as nice as AMD allowing someone to actually run a benchmark on it. That's the big unknown right now. Until that is known, expect people to tout the "733t C2D" as the current top performer. Frankly, I'm less interested in Barcelona and Phenom now more than ever. I think it's become apparant that the best AMD can hope to do right now is be competitive (on the desktop) with Intel's top end and try to win performance/watt and performance/dollar in the mainstream and budget market. It won't be revolutionary like the K7 or C2D. I think it'll be more like the K8 launch where the winner in any given price range is ambiguous depending on application.

I am excited about the next next gen Bulldozer. AMD is touting this as something revolutionary and I am excited to see if they can actually deliver. Obviously, details are far too few to make any sound prediction but it'd be nice to see another revolutionary product from AMD. It's time to retire the K7. All we have to do is wait until 2009 (or more like 2010 given their inability to execute recently).

All fighting set aside, they should send out atleast some screenies of other benches to atleast keep people with some hope. Amd has to put out and do it quickly. I used to like amd but the overclocking but lately with pushbacks and all other bullshit theyre pulling Intel seems to be the king for along time coming. ati their graphics card has not impressed no one. At this point I believe nvidia will make ati like they did with 3dfx, they will keep coming out with better faster cards and ati will have it ass handed to it.
I would like to see a partner ship of Intel with Nvidia to see what type of card they could come up with. Then again I haven't seen pigs fly.

my.2
Nokia

Now that Conroe has been out for over a year.... the only ones still running AMD in their systems are those who truly believe the AMD of 2007 can make a successful, market leading product launch.

Or maybe they were waiting for price drops, which really only took place a few days ago. Even then, it's not like I have a need to rush and buy a quad. If anything, the patient have not only more choices with Intel (used e6400's/e6600's or the e6850 vs. q6600 debate), but also the perspective to be forward-looking: if Barcelona looks good, keep waiting.

Plus, what games do i want to play that would require quad/duals (*at this moment, right now)? I don't give a damn about Supreme Commander, so the only thing hinging the quad decision is Crysis.

Or maybe they were waiting for price drops, which really only took place a few days ago. Even then, it's not like I have a need to rush and buy a quad. If anything, the patient have not only more choices with Intel (used e6400's/e6600's or the e6850 vs. q6600 debate), but also the perspective to be forward-looking: if Barcelona looks good, keep waiting.

Plus, what games do i want to play that would require quad/duals (*at this moment, right now)? I don't give a damn about Supreme Commander, so the only thing hinging the quad decision is Crysis.

I'd pick up a $113 E4300 over a $65 Brisbane 3600+ with DDR2 prices so cheap right now. Even a few months ago you could have gotten the big 3 for under 400.

I upgraded to dual core (from a 939 3000+) for desktop responsiveness during recording of 2 simultaneous TV shows in MCE 2k5. Buying a X2 939 processor plus DDR 3200 ram simply isn't cost effective.

I see the benefits in C&C3....

Can we be allowed to have a bit of optimism? It is posted as a 3.0Ghz Barcelona, and the [H] posted it. There are pictures floating around on the web, too.

This might be the only Barcelona able to hit 3.0Ghz, okay, but it is still good news because last we heard they weren't getting anywhere near that and this one has a stock HSF. A stock HSF tells us that it isn't strained to the max to get to that speed.

Dailytech have a few bits of extra info. apparently it's not a Barcelona (server chip right?) but Agena (consumer/desktop woo:)) And also an engineer puts the speed bumps down to several aggressive respins, glad to see AMD are starting to put there head on straight

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=8203

or you know dont have the money to upgrade there PC every year like and have a farely fast AMD setup that will last till they HAVE the money to get some thing better

All im saying is AMD claims (when I say claim i mean they haven't shown incontrovertible proof) That they have a phenom (believed to be an x4) at 3ghz, but their is no cpu-z of this, only the windows benchmark thingie (doesn't prove or disprove anything).

Why would a company forge something like this, well AMD lost 600 million last quarter, and even more the quarter before, something like this is trying to sway people from buying an intel chip which everyone is doing now adays, and I don't blame them IF they are trying to pull a stunt. Both company's spend lots of money on PR, and PR is everything.

according to roadmaps ive seen, x4 phenoms and Barcelona's over 2.5 ghz have a TDP of 125w, pretty much the same as intels QC's. Anyone who has overclocked them know they put out alot of heat, and for them to OC (again assuming because they have no roadmap of a 3 ghz x4) its pumping out a fuckload of heat, and no stock heatsink can handle that kind of heat, another reason to believe this wasn't a quad core.

Their is nothing except their word telling you that that machine contains a quad core phenom with 3 working 2900xt's in crossfire, absolutely nothing. If its the case that this machine is genuine, good for them, their yields and clock scaling are getting better, and AMD isn't so screw'd after all.

Blind faith is a bad thing, I need proof, proof is something AMD hasn't shown me about this system.

And no im not being paid by intel for this, I wish they did, but this is purely my opinion.

You're missing the point of three cards. Trifecta 2900 folding frenzy! :D On top of quad core folding.

or you know dont have the money to upgrade there PC every year like and have a farely fast AMD setup that will last till they HAVE the money to get some thing better

On this forum? You are running a $400 video card...

That $400 easily buys a top-end Core 2, mobo, and memory.

Enthusiast != Loaded

As he stated not everyone has the cash to do upgrades all the time. Also it is possible he saved his money to buy that $400 card. Note his processor and mobo. Not really top tier items.

I really hope the AMD's quad cores kick some ass because competition is good. But they have to be fucking kidding me by running 3 video cards. I think buying 2 video cards for cross fire or SLI is ridiculous, how about AMD/ATI get their act together and put out a card that runs great with only one card.

I really hope the AMD's quad cores kick some ass because competition is good. But they have to be fucking kidding me by running 3 video cards. I think buying 2 video cards for cross fire or SLI is ridiculous, how about AMD/ATI get their act together and put out a card that runs great with only one card.

Yep. And after seeing that Steam survey where less than 2% off all the gamers on Steam were using SLI, I am curious as to why they are spending so much money on multi-card configurations.

Just make a really good single card. I shouldn't need two of them.

Yeah image means a lot

A lot of people can't afford a Porsche 911 but the Boxter might be in their price range..

Why is the wiring always so bad when they "show off" these things....

Yep. And after seeing that Steam survey where less than 2% off all the gamers on Steam were using SLI, I am curious as to why they are spending so much money on multi-card configurations.

Just make a really good single card. I shouldn't need two of them.
It is about image.

Chevy has the Corvette. A lot of people can't afford Corvettes, so they will get cars like Monte Carlos. Ford has the GT; very few people can afford this car, so they will get the Mustang.

If that made sense..

:p Some people don't buy a new computer every six months.

This processor should 0wn video production. I can't wait for a dual socket mobo.

Enthusiast != Loaded

As he stated not everyone has the cash to do upgrades all the time. Also it is possible he saved his money to buy that $400 card. Note his processor and mobo. Not really top tier items.

1. i bought that 3800+ X2 when it FRIST was out it it cost over 300 then and i had the money
2. i bought a full upgrade from a 3200+ 754 that was AGP so got a 7800GT for it
3. that $400 video card gave me more of performance leap then a new CPU would with the 7800GT

my CPU is running at 2.5 on a shitty mobo shitty PSU and shitty ram on stock cooling it could do 2.6 2.7 if i fixed that its plenty fast

i got the monitor as a gift and needed a better video card to play newer games at native with AA that card was also 1/2 a gift i only payed 200 for it out of pocket

this is not a bad system it runs every thing i play maxed out or damn close with 4xAA and 16xAF at 1680x1050 some thing the 7800GT couldnt do
i also sold the 7800GT
total out of pocket for the 8800 100 bucks
:cool:

this PC has been planed out for since i got it
i had in mind i would get an 8800 when it came out
and would not upgrade till a quad core was under 300 now it is and im saving for one
AMD is close to launching Phenom and ill wait to see what they have and what its price is
if its in spitting distence of the C2D and cost less guess what im getting
if it sucks ill get C2D all the PCs i have speced and built for friends since the C2D came out have been C2D E6600s

This is great news, lets hoe this shuts up the intel fan bois, but I fear now the amd fan bois now have ammo.

I am reserving judgment until I get some benchmarks, though I hope AMD does well cpu competition is good, I paid through the Nose for an X2 when the first came out, I don't want a repeat, hopefully intel has something to counter if need be.

Bleh whatever. I thought you were a poor joe like me that picked the x2 3800+ up on the cheap :p

nothing wrong with that the 3800+ X2 is a nice CPU and in no way slow its not an E6600
but its not a P4 2.0 ether

my system was limited by my GPU it was more cost effective to get a better GPU then keep the GPU i had and get a mobo cpu and ram and maybe pick up 10fps at lower settings

an overclocked 3800+ X2 (easy math is why i like it) is a great cpu at 2.5 it can keep up with the E6600 once you crank the eye candy

It sounds like they have made a lot of progress in a little time. Perhaps by release we'll see some chips with a lot of overclocking head room. That would at least tide them over until Bull Dozer, but it by no means leaves them in the clear. Intel's next gen stuff is fast too, and they have plenty of head room on the clock speed. In a pinch they could raise the stock speed of their chips by 500MHz across the board with very little loss in yields. Time will tell I suppose.

Oh Yeah Baby, AMD is on the right Track, I Look forward to seeing what they will do with their latest Stuff, ......whats that i Hear?...........It's the Fat Lady Singing.......LOL

You're missing the point of three cards. Trifecta 2900 folding frenzy! :D On top of quad core folding.
Not quite. Each GPU client requires a CPU core to work, thus, if it were at all possible to run 3 GPU clients, you would only have one free CPU core. This scenario assumes that a GPU client compatible for the 2900 is even available, and that 3 such clients can be run simultaneously without issues. Highly unlikely. Best to run the SMP client alone or the SMP client + 1 GPU client providing there's one available/compatible with the 2900.

To all naysayers who are still insistent on discrediting AMD and hatching conspiracy plots, just one day ago most readers of this forum were speculating if 3GHz Barcelonas would even see the light of day this year in any form at all. I recall rumors not too long ago about 1.9/2.0GHz being the fastest stable Barcelona samples that AMD could currently produce. Well, Steve from this site witnessed one sample in action at a much higher clock. He viewed four cores being utilized in a game he actually played. His post is on the first page. Isn't that enough?

Yer how much does AMD have to do to, to make you believe they have a decent core being made. Dont you want competetion??? :confused: Intel is showing that they are waiting for barcelona to launch so they can decided what clock speeds to have thier penryn cores to run at. These two cores will make some huge competetion, and we all know what happens when that occurs, we get price cuts :) which makes every one happy.

simply put: go AMD!!
get this Phenom out!!!
My ultimatum to AMD: you have until Christmas
No benches :confused:
A 3.0 GHz Phenom is nice, don't get me wrong, but it's not as nice as AMD allowing someone to actually run a benchmark on it.
All im saying is AMD claims (when I say claim i mean they haven't shown incontrovertible proof) That they have a phenom (believed to be an x4) at 3ghz, but their is no cpu-z of this, only the windows benchmark thingie (doesn't prove or disprove anything).
All fighting set aside, they should send out atleast some screenies of other benches to atleast keep people with some hope. Amd has to put out and do it quickly.
Ockie said:
I say: Less showing and more product on the shelf...
Your backed. QFT.
They said it. :rolleyes:

what a retarded press release. once again, this damages their image.

1. When it comes out, good luck getting over 2.4 ghz
2. No benchmarks make people think that it probably sux and they just dont want to show it.
3. There has been no attempt at even showing the chip info/pic typically allowed to be seen, it just makes them look like desperate liars.
4. I will be buying this chip. sux.

2. No benchmarks make people think that it probably sux and they just dont want to show it.
3. There has been no attempt at even showing the chip info/pic typically allowed to be seen, it just makes them look like desperate liars.

Thank you for your inside knowledge and truly valid opinion :rolleyes:

Thank you for that.

Great way to start my morning :)

Cant tell from your post are you ripping AMD or defending them?

1. They havent release the Phenom clocks at release to the general public, so that is just wild ass speculation.

2. Giving benchmarks on engineering samples is basically worthless.

3. It will look just like any other AMD AM2 processor, but probably with black magic marker saying its clock speed.

4. To quote the caveman "What?"

Back