AMD Shows of Epyc Datacenter CPU

That's because AMD hasn't released a server grade new offering in a very long time, not because they sucked when they did release. Lots of vendors have had success with AMD in the past for servers and workstations. This axiom you're saying has more meaning when you're referring to Cisco, not CPUs.

Gonna be some interesting kit to buy on Ebay in a few years time.

That's because AMD hasn't released a server grade new offering in a very long time, not because they sucked when they did release. Lots of vendors have had success with AMD in the past for servers and workstations. This axiom you're saying has more meaning when you're referring to Cisco, not CPUs.

No I meant there will be some interesting kit including mainly CPUs coming up in a few years time.

Should've called it ThreadBearer. Hire me AMD, I could surely do a better job than whoever came up with such names

At this point they should be using slang for penis to name their largest offering.

download_20170518_103958.png

I want one just as a collectors item, might have to wait a while until they come down in price. Gonna get me a Threadripper too.

Would be nice to see something truly unconventional cone along. How about moving away from conventional socketed processors and introduce something along the lines of compatible pcie-like slot based processor cards?

I'm not talking Intel era carded processors. Something that flattens out motherboard choices where slots determine your add-ins rather than always having a motherboard that's almost perfect but doesn't quite deliver your one or two desirable features.

Right now Vmware and others are still pricing per CPU Socket. That makes these CPU's Sweet sweet free capacity. ;)

Enjoy that thinking while you can. I expect that AMD has kept more than just Intel in a state of panic over the last few weeks. Others will react, I'm sure.

/sigh - I remember my old Athlon MP system. It was so great. Two whole threads so smooth, so what if I got a couple less FPS, it never stalled, the cursor never froze - not even when loading from the A: drive.

I'd like to get one of the two socket 64 core setup - not being independently wealthy and having no real need beyond what I have... /sigh

Kind of reminds me of when 3DFX was just bunching multiple chips on a single PCB to compete in the market before they went away.

3dfx had some nice offerings in the day, but Nvidia just out marketed them then bought them and integrated their tech and their people. I was sad to see them go.

Kind of reminds me of when 3DFX was just bunching multiple chips on a single PCB to compete in the market before they went away.

AMD have been using MCMs for over a decade on their server chips, and both Core2Quads and Pentium Ds were MCM as well.

A lot of people act like MCM is the devil, when in practice it's not a bad option.

AMD have been using MCMs for over a decade on their server chips, and both Core2Quads and Pentium Ds were MCM as well.

A lot of people act like MCM is the devil, when in practice it's not a bad option.
I am curious how far this tech can stack Ryzen modules? At what point would an additional cache, also perhaps another stacked chip would become important. Or a better bus to main memory?

Back