AMD Shows of Epyc Datacenter CPU

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, May 16, 2017.

1. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

AMD just got finished off showing off some of the basics about its EPYC datacenter processor. It is based on the Zen architecture goodness, and is in a nutshull, four Ryzen CPUs on a single package for server. So you get 32 Cores under one integrated heat spreader with support for 4TB of memory and 128 native PCIe lanes.

Pictures on the news page.

DejaWiz likes this.
  2. STR

STR Gawd

"Epyc"?
    Cringeworthiest of names.

Interesting design though. Is there a shared on-board cache or will it have to go all the way out to the system RAM if a thread needs something running on another die?

Also, that is a big ass heatspreader.

45454asasa, otherweeb and Napoleon like this.
  3. Teenyman45

Teenyman45 2[H]4U

Just imagine if that was PGA and had a bent pin or two somewhere during the install.

4. biggen

biggen Kyle's Personal Blog is Awesome

Gonna be tough to break into the server market. No sys admin ever got fired for buying Intel.

ChadD, Doozer and KazeoHin like this.
  5. zerogg

zerogg Limp Gawd

Yeah, the name is terrible, but hopefully it will be a performer. The additional ram channels allows servers to have a higher ram capacity, or higher capacity per size of dimm. For virtualization workloads and other memory intensive configurations, the price of memory will outweigh all the other components. Allowing us to use more of the cheaper smaller modules, or higher total capacity is a big deal. Its why we are going to be testing out the platform when its released.

6. daglesj

daglesj [H]ardness Supreme

Gonna be some interesting kit to buy on Ebay in a few years time.

7. grtitan

grtitan Telemetry is Spying on ME!

Well, the million dollars question, can it run Crysis? :clown:

griff30, TMCM and wra18th like this.
  8. TMCM

TMCM [H]ard|Gawd

Beat me to it

TripleAgent77 and grtitan like this.
  9. Kranium

Kranium Limp Gawd

That delidded shot reminds me of Presler's "dual" core CPUs *shudders*. I'm sure this isn't a rush job like those were though.

10. prime2515102

prime2515102 [H]ard|Gawd

They are already in the server market.

11. SighTurtle

SighTurtle [H]ard|Gawd

12. JackNSally

JackNSally Limp Gawd

I believe half of each dies (dice?), there are 4 dies (dice?) in this chip, PCI-E lanes are used for some inter-die 'fabric'. I would say hypertransport over PCI-E but I'm not an expert in this.

13. Mackintire

Mackintire 2[H]4U

Jim Keller was involved. = Probably won't suck.

griff30 and Sulphademus like this.
  14. Elf_Boy

Elf_Boy 2[H]4U

What socket do they use?

How come they get PCIE lanes per core?

15. STR

STR Gawd

It's called SP3r2 or maybe SP4 (my Google-Fu is too weak, or perhaps the info isn't out there yet). It's LGA and has 4,094 pins.

That is not a typo.

16. PhotoBobBarker

PhotoBobBarker [H]Lite

Any word on price or if this might make it to the workstation market or is it Server only?

I'm still on a Dell Precision 490 with two E5335s,and a 660ti... I think it might be time for an upgrade.

17. SighTurtle

SighTurtle [H]ard|Gawd

18. Zuul

Zuul Gawd

It can run ALL the Crysisees!

19. capt_cope

capt_cope Gawd

*COUGH*Itanium*COUGH*

20. Quartz-1

Quartz-1 [H]ardness Supreme

Windows client has a limit of two processors so the answer will depend upon either Microsoft lifting that restriction or presenting itself to Windows as one or two CPUs.

Was a massive success in the DEC VMS sphere.

21. Hisshadow

Hisshadow n00b

Now see, THIS is the desktop cpu that I would be excited about coming from amd.

Leave it to them, to totally miss out on my purchasing power... by not making it a desktop cpu....

22. biggen

biggen Kyle's Personal Blog is Awesome

23. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

each cluster of dies shows up as a single cpu.. same design they used with magney-cour which was 2 x 6 core dies only with a better interconnect design between the dies. even the 12 and 16 core FX based server cpu's which no one bought used the same design.

Quartz-1 likes this.
  24. Mackintire

Mackintire 2[H]4U

Sulphademus likes this.
  25. XViper

XViper Gawd

It's good that AMD is trying to market to this area. From what I recently heard, several companies are switching to Ryzen servers for cost and the amount of cores you get.

26. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

No sys admin got fired for the status quo, either.

Far too often: Big changes = big problems.

C-rizzle likes this.
  27. Gigus Fire

Gigus Fire 2[H]4U

No. The Epyc processor can only run crisys

NeoNemesis likes this.
  28. andrewaggb

andrewaggb Limp Gawd

They should be ideal datacenter cpu's for at least some workloads. Lots of cores and Lots of ram is pretty what every cloud provider wants. It's just proving they are reliable enough for datacenter use.

29. Pusher of Buttons

Pusher of Buttons [H]ard|Gawd

I'd be real curious if (and I know jack about CPU architecture beyond the basics) if they could pump up the number of threads per core in some odd configuration. Given that MS is licensing per-physical core now, bumping up the logical core count without changing the physical core number could actually lead to some cost savings if moving beyond 2 thread per core is even an realistic option.

30. Grimlaking

Grimlaking 2[H]4U

If you're having a hard time fitting enough compute into your racks then this solution is amazing. Throw 4 of those into a 4 U chassis, get 128 Physical 256 Logical CPU's, along with 16TB of ram.

Makes by 36 core 72 thread 512gb ram box's seem small.

Not to mention at max load of ram I'd have.. 62 gig per logical core of ram.. holy eff.. the memory MIGHT be overkill. ;)

But the PCIE lanes are a freaking blessing to people that need REALLY HIGH SPEED Physical I/O. That's not me. I need low throughput but I achieve that with a couple of fiber cards going to my storage array. My use case right now has no place for that many PCIE lanes.

But imagine it from the case of serving desktop systems via VDI. You could have a bank of relatively high speed video cards being sliced and allocated to VDI users allowing 3d rendering virtually. Man that could get really sweet for render farms too.

Pusher of Buttons likes this.
  31. Grimlaking

Grimlaking 2[H]4U

Right now Vmware and others are still pricing per CPU Socket. That makes these CPU's Sweet sweet free capacity. ;)

Pusher of Buttons and raz-0 like this.
  32. raz-0

raz-0 [H]ardness Supreme

No, but they also haven't been fired for buying AMD either. We still have some AMD based servers cranking away. The only criteria to date is going ot be does it run x86 linux VMs with good cost per VM and good power and HVAC use per sqft.

33. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

More or less than Threadripper? :p

34. Pusher of Buttons

Pusher of Buttons [H]ard|Gawd

They were going to call it ThreadGrindr but realized that infringed on a copyright.

35. griff30

griff30 I Lower the Boom!

Now to see what trickles down to a real-world desktop environment..

36. Crimson

Crimson Gawd

Unlike MS Server 2016 which charges by core :(

37. STR

STR Gawd

Tough call. On one hand, "Epyc" sounds like some off brand gamer accessory. On the other, not only is "threadripper" a dumb name, but they couldn't even keep the "y" consistent. You'd think they'd have crammed one in there. "Threadrippyr"? It's not like they would have made it sound even worse.

38. wolfofone

wolfofone Gawd

From what i remember, Each chip gives up 64 lanes of PCI-E to the inter-socket Fabric. So the dual socket system will have 128 lanes for devices but it's 64 from each socket. For inter-die fabric... I don't remember if AMD has detailed that.

JackNSally likes this.
  39. nutzo

nutzo [H]ardness Supreme

MS is getting greedy with their licensing changes. Instead of simply buying a server based on overall performance, I now need to consider how many cores.

It will likely push me to higher clock speeds and less cores on any new server purchas, just the opposite of my last couple servers (lower clock speeds but more cores)

40. Trepidati0n

Trepidati0n [H]ardForum Junkie

Business are getting really good at understand the total cost of operation. Operations per Watt has a very heavy weighting factor when choosing servers. In many cases some cities are saying "you can' pump any more water for cooling".