AMD Ships First "Bulldozer" Processors

HardOCP News

[H] News
Today, AMD announced revenue shipments of the first processors based on its new x86 “Bulldozer” architecture. Initial production of the world’s first 16-core x86 processor, codenamed “Interlagos,” began in August and shipping to customers is already underway. Compatible with existing AMD OpteronTM 6100 Series platforms and infrastructure, “Interlagos” is expected to launch and be available in partner systems in the fourth quarter of this year. Many of the initial shipments have been earmarked for large custom supercomputer installations that are now underway.

Did you guys read the announcement?

"Many of the initial shipments have been earmarked for large custom supercomputer installations that are now underway."

I don't think they're going to be benchmarking those things, at least not in a way that would matter to any of us!

But it's silly to have them out in the wild without releasing the NDA.

Any number of those could get "lost" on the way to the supercomputer farm and end up at someone's house for a quick benchmarking run. Better to have the numbers come out officially than open the floodgates to leaks.

Did you guys read the announcement?

"Many of the initial shipments have been earmarked for large custom supercomputer installations that are now underway."

I don't think they're going to be benchmarking those things, at least not in a way that would matter to any of us!

This makes having numbers even a bigger deal.

Meanwhile, the people who are getting them for use in the supercomputers are giggling like little girls.

Somewhere there is a software company rethinking their choice of "Per CPU socket" instead of "Per core" licensing.

maybe we'll actually see some reports on sept 16, as the rumors mentioned.

i'm really interested in seeing how much ipc improvement there is, clock for clock vs current phenoms.

AMD Processors = "Always Much Delayed" Processors!

"We’ve heard that AMD is actually planning to launch AMD Bulldozer in the early or mid Q1 of 2011, that means: late January/February"

AMD Bulldozer FX Processors Release Date Set on June 1

AMD Bulldozer FX-Series will be released on June 7, 2011

AMD FX-Series Processors Releasing on June 11

AMD Bulldozer: New release date of FX-Series to October 2011

I want the cool tin FX box!
AMD_FX_Box-600x424.jpg

amd.jpg

"coming soon" = "after several lengthy delays"

and/or

"coming soon" = "after Intel already releases something faster & cheaper"

I'll be impressed when I see numbers. It could have 32 cores for all I care. Like one poster said, "show me the ipc!"

Considering that the server chip market allows for bigger margins on their sales, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to totally ignore the desktop market for the time being if yields are going to be really bad.

Until these 16 core Interlagoes processors start going for sale in retail markets, this is not news to me as I want to know how well these new G34 cpus will fold.

Intel keeps raising the bar, I really hope AMD's 4 module 8 cores can beat SB's 4 cores 8 threads. If not then Ivy Bridge is going to put AMD as far behind as Nehalem did to Phenom.

Looks like October will be an interesting month.
  • HP TouchPads orders will get fulfilled and maybe more will be available to purchase
  • AMD Bulldozer released
  • Battlefield 3 released

The article says "introducing new FX processors in October". What exactly does that men? Does it mean paper launch or actual launch where you can buy them?

BRING ON THE BENCHMARKS!!

I don't care if I cannot afford some upgrades right now, I just want to see what it can do!

Does it mean paper launch or actual launch where you can buy them?
As I said in another thread this reeks of a reverse paper launch where they're actually shipping product but refuse to release any info on it...

You do paper launches when you know your product is going to stomp the competition but you're having issues ramping up production and you want to stall customers from buying your competitions products and hold off a week to a month or two to buy your new stuff. I don't think I've EVER seen any company start shipping to resellers and even end users (the super computer builders) while refusing to release ANY info on the product (other than it has so many cores, they're everywhere!)

I still don't think they are happy with the new product, unless they are intentionally trying to hit the market with a bang. This is perhaps the quietest launch I have witnessed. Normally when processors are on the cusp of a release there are numerous reviews and benchmarks posted all over the net.

Looks about what most people were expecting. If these numbers prove to be the truth AMD has another forgetable CPU on it's hands though Bulldozer could prove at least mildly interesting with competitive pricing.

If those numbers are legit everyone who has a 2400 CPU or above have had that performance for 10 months. Factoring overclocking it's a cryin ass shame to be honest.

Nice for the server market, too bad we still have to wait for the desktop version and its annoying that AMD delayed it several times, I mean, seriously, come on.

Typical AMD at this point. Ivy Bridge will destroy this for desktop use. If they're going for the price war they might win, but performance will suffer.

what will the desktop version 8 cores being used for
the current 4 cores from both sides intel and amd is hardly being used as it is
how about amd just improve upon core per core vs. intel
the old intel quads from 3-4 years ago still beating the amd newest phenom2s

But it's silly to have them out in the wild without releasing the NDA.

Any number of those could get "lost" on the way to the supercomputer farm and end up at someone's house for a quick benchmarking run. Better to have the numbers come out officially than open the floodgates to leaks.

That assumes that Interlagos (server) parts will be any indication of desktop performance.

For all we know, the current server volume sales are all early stepping chips - the ones we know don't perform to the level we'd like in desktops.

Considering that the server chip market allows for bigger margins on their sales, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to totally ignore the desktop market for the time being if yields are going to be really bad.

As far as priorities go, I agree. The server chips are, always have been and should be AMD's priority when it comes to bulldozer.

That being said, the rumor mill has it that bulldozer chip yields are fine. it's Llano, (specifically the GPU portion of Llano) where they are having the biggest yield difficulties.

This is particularly impressive seeing how large of a die (315mm^2) Bulldozer is supposed to have...

Yes, it's smaller than Thuban (because of its 32nm process, vs Thuban's 45nm) but its also a new process, with all the yield difficulties that typically go along with it.

Seeing how they plan on selling 6 and 4 core versions of the chip in the desktop market I don't see yield becoming a major issue any time soon, except possibly on the top bin parts (8 core, high clocks) but as we know, the top bin parts - while incredibly popular among us hardware geeks - are never the biggest sellers.

If bulldozer sucks, we're all screwed, because then we continue to be at the mercy of Intel changing sockets every 5 minutes.

YES! Just in time. Now I can pick up a cheap used X6 soon for my new AM3 mobo upgrade. Bought a cheap and reliable CPU just to hold me over, perfecttttttttttt

LET THE PRICE WARS BEGINNNNNNNNNN! Muahahahahaaaaa!

Why are they supposedly making the 8-cores only 2.8-3.6Ghz? Shouldn't they be higher than that? 2.8 for the "cheapest" one seems rather slow to me. Even if you OC, it's not THAT much faster than whats out now.

Besides... I know the multicore push is getting more aggressive lately. But what programs/games actually use 7+ cores? You will be limited to mostly x1-x6(rare) core powered apps in the beginning, no?

If bulldozer sucks, we're all screwed, because then we continue to be at the mercy of Intel changing sockets every 5 minutes.

By "we're all screwed" you mean the people that think they have to have a new system every time the socket changes.

There is probably a high % of people that don't even take full advantage of the systems they have now let alone what's next. It wasn't till the system I have now that I build early last year that I realized I'm not doing anything more with this one then I did the last one.

I don't really care if bulldozer is delayed till next year, just means I have more time to save up money.

I've got both intel and AMD systems, it's whatever fits the job/budget at the time of building.

Back