AMD Shakes Up Their Senior Leadership

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Today, AMD announced that they're "strengthening" their senior leadership team. Darren Grasby is in charge of all global sales and go-to-market activities across all product lines now, and the company hired Dr. Sandeep Chennakeshu as the executive vice president of Computing and Graphics. The press release mentions that Chennakeshu served multiple leading, and technical, roles at Ericsson, Sony and Blackberry, while Hexus, who spotted the release, mentions that he worked with AMD's current CEO while they were at Freescale. Mark Papermaster is also getting promoted to the positions of executive vice president and CTO. The leadership change is already updated on AMD's website, which has more information on all the executives.

"2019 marks an important inflection point for AMD as we prepare to launch our next-generation high-performance 7nm products," said Dr. Lisa Su, AMD president and CEO. "I am excited to strengthen and align our leadership team around our customers and end markets to sharpen our focus on continued growth and market share gains."

this means they are going to lower their prices and deliver the final killing blow to both nvidia and intel

Making mountains out of molehills...;) "Strengthening" almost always means that you are bringing in some new people you consider you'll need because of increased sales volumes, etc., and/or that you are moving existing people around into slots they are better qualified to hold. It's almost amusing--every time AMD passes gas, somebody's trying to map something sensational to it...;)

Making mountains out of molehills...;) "Strengthening" almost always means that you are bringing in some new people you consider you'll need because of increased sales volumes, etc., and/or that you are moving existing people around into slots they are better qualified to hold. It's almost amusing--every time AMD passes gas, somebody's trying to map something sensational to it...;)

When Dr Lisa farts, it smells like lots of money.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
GASP :p they have seen the light through the fog. Methane powered multipurpose silicon photonics signal processor cores! How did they get them not to explode??

the amount of AMD fanboys on this site make me not want to login anymore.
Unfortunately something I've noticed as well. When Kyle broke the GPP story (which was great) there was a very large influx of AMD fanboys to [H].

Back on topic - I'm interested to see if this change in senior leadership will sharply change any of AMD's visions. Hopefully they continue their development and utilization of open source technologies and don't move proprietary. Their CPU division has been very impressive thus far and I'm hoping that it's success will also be reflected in future GPU development.

People are confusing “fanboy” with intels lack of innovation along with Nvidia and intels strong arm tactics to empty consumer wallets.

This pisses people off and here is the resulting backlash. Welcome to reality and if you don’t like it then put your head back in the sand - but don’t come here and bitch about it.

intel and Nvidia are reaping what they have sown. I have no pity and nor should you with your empty wallets.

Unfortunately something I've noticed as well. When Kyle broke the GPP story (which was great) there was a very large influx of AMD fanboys to [H].
Or we have been here all along and have simply not had a lot to get excited about.

I love Intel... honest. They are a great supporter of Linux and other non windows software projects. Intel is frustrating cause like most large companies they do things you love and things you hate. Nvidia is just pure evil and the easiest company to hate in tech.

What has also changed since Kyles GPP story... zen 2 is on the way, 7nm, and tons of rumors. AMDs fortunes have been looking up.

As others have said I have never been a fanboy for any company. Over the last 20 years I've bought the best cpu/gpu on the market. Over the last few years I've grown to hate nVidia and Intel for their under-handed and closed practices and will now support AMD who has survived despite it all. If rumors are true, Zen 2 very well could crush intel at half the price; so not hard to choose AMD at this point either.

Or we have been here all along and have simply not had a lot to get excited about.

I love Intel... honest. They are a great supporter of Linux and other non windows software projects. Intel is frustrating cause like most large companies they do things you love and things you hate. Nvidia is just pure evil and the easiest company to hate in tech.

What has also changed since Kyles GPP story... zen 2 is on the way, 7nm, and tons of rumors. AMDs fortunes have been looking up.

There is a difference between being excited about AMD's progress and blatantly crucifying people for not loving everything AMD does. I was attacked numerous times (with personal insults as well) for stating that I didn't believe that the Radeon VII is a good value based on the 1080 Ti performance from 2 years prior at the same price. I'm all for civil discussions, but attacking people and not providing any substance for a counter argument makes posting in threads about AMD less than enticing.

Fanboyism is cancer regardless of which brand you support.

There is a difference between being excited about AMD's progress and blatantly crucifying people for not loving everything AMD does....attacking people and not providing any substance for a counter argument makes posting in threads about AMD less than enticing.

Fanboyism is cancer regardless of which brand you support.

You are exadurating the pro AMD side. it happens BOTH ways here. DONT discount the converse side of intel and Nvidia Fanbois as if it doesn’t exist.

If you want to bring up specific examples, we can do that. I don’t think anyone wants to go down that road.

You are exadurating the pro AMD side. it happens BOTH ways here. DONT discount the converse side of intel and Nvidia Fanbois as if it doesn’t exist.

If you want to bring up specific examples, we can do that. I don’t think anyone wants to go down that road.
I never stated that it was just the AMD side. I just stated that the AMD side that seems to be a lot more prevalent lately since GPP from my own personal experience posting on this forum and the replies I'm getting.

As I noted at the end of the post you quoted - all fanboyism is cancer.

Anyway, I'm done contributing to the derailing of the thread.

As I noted at the end of the post you quoted - all fanboyism is cancer.

Anyway, I'm done contributing to the derailing of the thread.

At least we can agree on these two points. I left the cancer quote in on purpose.

Back on topic - I'm interested to see if this change in senior leadership will sharply change any of AMD's visions. Hopefully they continue their development and utilization of open source technologies and don't move proprietary. Their CPU division has been very impressive thus far and I'm hoping that it's success will also be reflected in future GPU development.

I think people have been pushed by the gpp into the amd camp. Before that and before intel stopped selling 4c/4t i5s people were ambivalent *at best* to amd. Circumstances change and perspectives shift and that's reflected in the general mood; nvidia bad intel bad amd great great great.

What news.. that oMek doesn't want to login anymore? :D

Na i'm still here, At the end of the day I buy the best product my money can pay for. I really could care less about team/color/politics when it comes to computer parts. We all pay for performance right? I see no reason to buy something of lesser performance simply because of the way a company represents itself.

Reactions: Fleat
like this
Na i'm still here, At the end of the day I buy the best product my money can pay for. I really could care less about team/color/politics when it comes to computer parts. We all pay for performance right? I see no reason to buy something of lesser performance simply because of the way a company represents itself.

That has really been the shift I have noticed on [H]ard. I enjoyed this website because people were performance enthusiasts first and foremost. Squeezing the absolute top tier performance out of the best available hardware was the focus.

Fortunately, that content isn't completely gone from this site but you better bring a fire retardant shield if you mention that Intel or Nvidia has the most performance for your needs.

this means they are going to lower their prices and deliver the final killing blow to both nvidia and intel

Donkey-Kong-Awkwardly-Checks-Out-Baby-Princess-Daisy-In-The-New-Mario-Kart-8-For-The-Wii-U.gif

On topic: I'd really like AMD to sell me the things that I want while making me money.

That has really been the shift I have noticed on [H]ard. I enjoyed this website because people were performance enthusiasts first and foremost. Squeezing the absolute top tier performance out of the best available hardware was the focus.

Fortunately, that content isn't completely gone from this site but you better bring a fire retardant shield if you mention that Intel or Nvidia has the most performance for your needs.
For many enthusiasts, its not just about top performance, but also performance per dollar. For example, I bought a used 1070ti for $300, because Turing prices are not good performance per dollar. But I still bought an Nvidia card
Also, for the above Vega VII comment, its just as bad as the 2080, neither are a good value

Last edited:

Well. see my sig. Although I like AMD better as a company, I have Intel and nVidia.

And I will soon be upgrading to an Intel E5-1650 v3 setup. Getting the CPU and RAM at least from an old system that is being retired. I will most likely end up buying a motherboard to go along with it... and then upgrade/build another system with my old parts.

Whenever I do pay for an upgrade, I will most likely be going with an AMD CPU based system.

The other thing is that Intel especially and nVidia have both pulled @#%$#^%$^% moves in the past and that is the main reason I don't care for them as companies.

Back