AMD Sempron for sale at Newegg! Thorton???

CentronMe

2[H]4U
AMD Sempron 2400+ 1.667GHz, Socket A Processor - Retail
- Specifications -

Model: AMD Sempron
Core: Thorton
Operating Frequency:1.667GHz
FSB: 333MHz
Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/ 256KB
Voltage: 1.65
Process:0.13Micron
Socket: Socket A
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+
Packaging: Retail (Box with Heatsink and fan)

THORTON CORES!?!? 1.65 VOLTS!?!? :eek:

WTF :confused:

Newegg.com linky

Also I was not expecting them in retail packaging.. No K8 Sempron as of yet.

Thorton was the 256kb cache version of the barton, so i'm guessing thats what they're using in place of the thoroughbred which they probably stopped producing. I've got no proof for any of this, just seems to make sense. The less cores they need to make the better they are.

ignitionxvi said:
Thorton was the 256kb cache version of the barton, so i'm guessing thats what they're using in place of the thoroughbred which they probably stopped producing. I've got no proof for any of this, just seems to make sense. The less cores they need to make the better they are.

No the Barton is a dead chip, they are going back to the T-Bred as it is cheaper to produce. Must just want to clear out some stock.

i think i read on anandtech that the semprons with K8 cores will only be on the higher speeds , i think the 3100+

Sorry peeps, but i don't think that sempron is something to be really excited about.

unless someone can find a way to unlock the other 32bits lol

or if it clocks up really nicely.

apHytHiaTe said:
Sorry peeps, but i don't think that sempron is something to be really excited about.

or if it clocks up really nicely.

id wager they made that physically impossible.... however it would be kinda amusing to see them clock high. still wouldnt buy one though

The mobile K8 Sempron will be the perfect office box. Integrated memory controller, Cool 'n Quiet and NX. Shold make for a cool running MS Office machine. What I have been reading is the Sempron will out ship and outsell the Athlon 64 in Q1 of 05.

CentronMe said:
The mobile K8 Sempron will be the perfect office box. Integrated memory controller, Cool 'n Quiet and NX. Shold make for a cool running MS Office machine. What I have been reading is the Sempron will out ship and outsell the Athlon 64 in Q1 of 05.

the stuff we dont want normally does... :)

apHytHiaTe said:

Really? WinXP 64 may not be out til mid/late '05, and god knows when apps will really use 64 bit.
Unless you use *nix, 64 bit is worthless until then, and at that point 939 chips may be priced sanely.

Back