AMD Selling Semi-Custom SoC to China for New Gaming PC and Console

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
AMD has announced a semi-custom design win for a new gaming PC and console in China. The SoC will be a Ryzen CPU with 4c/8t and a Vega GPU running at 1.3ghz with 8GB of GDDR5 on the motherboard. Sounds like a nice chip. With that said, I'm not sure you'll be able to buy one of these chips because they are exclusive to Zhongshan Subor. However, even if it doesn't make it to the rest of the world I'm sure we'll find out how good it is or isn't and if successful something like it might appear for the rest of us. Thanks cageymaru.

The new gaming PC was demonstrated in the Subor booth at ChinaJoy, the largest gaming and digital entertainment exhibition in China and Asia. Subor plans to launch their new game PC in late-August. The SUBOR gaming console, featuring the same hardware as the gaming PC but with a customized operating system, is expected to launch by the end of 2018.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for AMD. But geez, Chinese console peasants really have no taste in console aesthetics. That thing is fugly.

would be "nice" to have similar version for north america, might be able to build a semi-decent system out of it, 8gb of GDDR5 for graphics etc and whatever amount of system ram as well can make for a very decent system if
"done right"

who knows what AMD will bring to the table for holiday season 2018, still waiting on GPU pricing to stabilize, I have seen +/- the last 2 months or so with some very large upswings and downswings but alas majority of Radeons are still above MSRP, amd with the CPU/APU that go up and down like they are on a rollercoaster ride.

maybe by time things truly stabilize Win10 will be less of an arse about the way they are doing things (though am not holding my breath) ^.^

Good for AMD. But geez, Chinese console peasants really have no taste in console aesthetics. That thing is fugly.

I read your post hoping to see something that looked like a 1980's Mustang...but was dissapointed cause it really isn't that bad. Doesn't stick out...but I've seen worse.

Don't the Chinese own or have stakes in many western gaming companies anyway? If they really wanted to, they could shake up western console gaming market.

would be "nice" to have similar version for north america, might be able to build a semi-decent system out of it, 8gb of GDDR5 for graphics etc and whatever amount of system ram as well can make for a very decent system if
"done right"
If this were a fairly off-the-shelf OS I would totally agree but "customized operating system" (by a Chinese company) is not something that's going to get traction in NA/EU unless someone figures out how to boot standard Linux on it.

Selling to China is TREASON!
Except that AMD needs the money to do good stuff for us, so I give them a pass. ;)

And those poor Chinese bastards don't even get real games -- no sex, violence, capitalism, etc. (in other words nothing that makes the game fun). :oops:

165f1fda72edd989ebfec283782b8e0c--fallout--viva-la.jpg

"done right"

who knows what AMD will bring to the table for holiday season 2018, still waiting on GPU pricing to stabilize, I have seen +/- the last 2 months or so with some very large upswings and downswings but alas majority of Radeons are still above MSRP, amd with the CPU/APU that go up and down like they are on a rollercoaster ride.

maybe by time things truly stabilize Win10 will be less of an arse about the way they are doing things (though am not holding my breath) ^.^

I'm sure at some point we will be able to import them, probably run windows on them too, just a hunch.

It would not surprise me if AMD became a defacto Chinese company... I don't mean that as an insult, it just wouldn't surprise me is all.

would be "nice" to have similar version for north america
You sooooorrrtttaaaa can if you consider something like a Steambox or homebuilt system with SteamOS on it console-ish. Though I think they're largely looked down upon these days.

Don't the Chinese own or have stakes in many western gaming companies anyway? If they really wanted to, they could shake up western console gaming market.

They will eventually. They are in learn and steal mode. When they have stolen enough tech and knowledge they will make their own and sell at cost or for a loss until they bleed the other companies dry.

I'm sure at some point we will be able to import them, probably run windows on them too, just a hunch.

No need for any hunch, the first version due out in less than three weeks is 'just' a PC, the 'console' version is due around, Nov :)

Just a bit of a shame import taxes and postage hurt in the UK for goods from China :(

I'm curious to what games this thing will run... since China pirates 99% of content, is it all pirated windows games or what?

8gb of ggdr5 tho... I guess if you have a really streamlined OS it could work (ie - not Win 10)

Back