AMD Says DX10 Will Not Take Off Until 2H 2007

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this article at DigiTimes, AMD is speculating that demand for DirectX 10 compliant video cards will not take off until the second half of 2007.

With no boost from DirectX 10, the graphics card market will stay put in the first half of 2007, while watching Vista's acceptability, according to Chow. In the second half of 2007, DirectX 10-compliant products will see demand pick up, so the competition will hot up, with more games and blue-laser products hitting the market, he added.

I suppose this makes sense as it is hard to make games DX10 ready when it is still a very new product......Im ready and waiting for Crysis

Honestly, I think it may even be longer than that.

I guess it depends on your definition of "Take Off".

This one is the most expensive DX yet, and there will a reluctance to commit on both the consumer side, because of cost, and the developer side, because of the limited user base generated by the cost (a sort of vicious circle type dealie).

Bearing in mind also that this all depends on an OS that hasn't been released yet.

It takes a serious leap of faith to commit the kind of time and funds required in modern game development based on a current user base of 0.

I think AMD may be underestimating the Video Card market. I have several friends holding off on buying new video cards or systems until after Vista is released. They aren't going to wait for the second half of the year, they are just waiting for Vista and nVidia to release the lower cost versions of the 8000 series. I honesly expect to see a surge between Feb and March.

Hmmppphh, this definitely sounds like something AMD(ati) would say after failing to provide a competitive product on time.... again.

Of course. The only demand for them right now is to have the most kick ass gaming rig around... You seriously can't pick up a DX10 card now and have any idea how it will handle DX10 games.

I'd wait until there is some kick ass game that I must play before I'd pickup a DX10 card. Crysis mabee...?

XamediX said:
Hmmppphh, this definitely sounds like something AMD(ati) would say after failing to provide a competitive product on time.... again.

THat's what I'm thinking too. mabee ati's new chip falls short of the g80.... Oh noooo...... :rolleyes:

If you're going from a 6600 or 6800 as my friends are, there is plenty of reason to go with a 8000 series card before DX-10 games.

griffinhart said:
I think AMD may be underestimating the Video Card market. I have several friends holding off on buying new video cards or systems until after Vista is released. They aren't going to wait for the second half of the year, they are just waiting for Vista and nVidia to release the lower cost versions of the 8000 series. I honesly expect to see a surge between Feb and March.

Surely that's more to do with the demand for FASTER cards, which will never die down, not specifically for DX10 cards, which is what AMD/ATI is talking about.

As pointed out though, AMD/ATI would like it's shareholders to believe that, I'm sure the board is getting a lot of "Where's our DX10 stuff?" queries :p.

All I can say is WTF AMD/ATI? They are that far behind in the game they will have no product ready till 5 months after Vista is launched?

I remember when Matrox said antiscopic filtering was a fad when Nvidia and VooDoo came out with cards. It was just an excuse for why there card did not support it.

Im a big AMD and ATI fan. But they are loosing big right now. Core 2 is kickin azz, and Nvidia is the fastest card with no compatition in sight for at least a few months. This looks sad for us underdog fans. :(

This is seriously just a "DUH" statement that AMD is using to get attention. Of course it's going to be that long... The next thing they're going to release is "AMD confirms that the sky is indeed blue".

Evil said:
All I can say is WTF AMD/ATI? They are that far behind in the game they will have no product ready till 5 months after Vista is launched?

You loose at reeding.

Maximus825 said:
This is seriously just a "DUH" statement that AMD is using to get attention. Of course it's going to be that long... The next thing they're going to release is "AMD confirms that the sky is indeed blue".

I agree.
With both you and AMD.

i cant believe amd is underspeculating the market, especially after their hit in the face with the core2duo. i think their still in the state of denial right now after getting overthrown by intel.

lol I wonder what they will say when they come out with dx10.

AMD - "Though the current generation of DirectX is useless as we thought, we felt it necessary to provide the latest technology to our customers."
Reporter - "So why didn't AMD provide the latest technology 6 months ago?"
AMD - "As we stated, there was no demand for DX10."
Reporter - "But didn't AMD pioneer 64bit CPU's long before there was any market demand for them?"
AMD - "Do you like candy? Here have some candy."
Reporter - "Oooo candy" *eats it and stops talking*

No matter really - since I will probably NEVER buy another AMD/ATI product again. I'm totally unconcerned with anything they have to say. (Note: I have 2 systems that are very similar - see my sig for one of them...)

Cannydog said:
No matter really - since I will probably NEVER buy another AMD/ATI product again. I'm totally unconcerned with anything they have to say. (Note: I have 2 systems that are very similar - see my sig for one of them...)

why, what has AMD do for you to hate them so much?

griffinhart said:

I think you don't realize that us enthusiast market people are the MINORITY.

I have someone in my clientbase, whom, today, we had to upgrade her video card to support DX9.0C (she wanted to play a sim-ish game, that wanted a 64mb dx9 solution, and she DIDN'T HAVE IT)

I have 20x more clients like THAT than people with systems even 1/2 as powerful as mine.
I think ONE client has a dual core machine, and NOBODY has a 7xxx series, let alone, 8xxx series nvidia card (or 1xxx series radeon)

I think my most advanced client is running P4D-820 with 9800Pro and 1gb ram.

We are DEFINATELY a minority.

XamediX said:

Of course they are spouting this crap,as they are again getting there collective asses handed to them :D First by Intel now by Nvidia....

Martyr said:
something to consider when thinking about what most people are currently using. obviously not everyone runs steam, but i think it gives a pretty good cross section

http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html

Wow! That really does provide some perspective. Because even though we can agree that not everyone uses Steam, it should provide a somewhat representative sample.

Back