AMD Sales Outpaced Intel's for the First Time in a Decade at Germany's Largest E-Tailer

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
According to recent data from retailer Mindfactory.de, AMD’s CPU sales overtook Intel’s in August: AMD had just 27.6% of CPU unit share in March when Ryzen first came out, but that figure grew to nearly 49% in July, until hitting over 56% in August. The top seller appears to be the Ryzen 5 1600, followed by the Ryzen 7 1700, Ryzen 5 1600X, and Ryzen 7 1700X. On the Intel side, the Core i7-7700K remains incredibly popular.

Look at it this way, if they make a lot of money from selling their CPU's and GPU's, they will have more to invest in development of new and hopefully better products which will benefit us all in the long term through better competition.

Just a shame this just came out.

upload_2017-9-2_17-39-42.png

This is such a big win for AMD. They out sold Intel at one retailer in small market. Intel need to pack their shit up and go.

Same with Briguyatx. Not impressed by AMD selling more in one random vendor's shop, not concerned with them dropping some in the Steam survey. Numbers from any single source will be skewed, and with no knowledge of how that source compares to the overall market, it's not worth much. For example, most sources estimate Windows 10 at ~28% currently, Steam shows it to be slightly above 50%. I want to see actual shipping/sales number totals from investor calls or some other guaranteed source before making a judgement.

Well Steam is certainly much closer to being the whole market than a single shop in a single country :)

Tbh Steam is a pretty damn good source as far as gaming goes. The number of PC gamers without Steam... well I have heard about those on the Internet but I don't know any IRL.

This is still good news for AMD and yes Ryzen is a good product, just not the best for gaming.

Well Steam is certainly much closer to being the whole market than a single shop in a single country :)

Tbh Steam is a pretty damn good source as far as gaming goes. The number of PC gamers without Steam... well I have heard about those on the Internet but I don't know any IRL.

This is still good news for AMD and yes Ryzen is a good product, just not the best for gaming.

Any survey you have the option to not participate in, where you are already surveying a smaller subset of the total market you are trying to draw conclusions on.... well I hope you can figure out where I am going from there. Throw in that steam doesn't include actual numbers of responses and.. well.. it really makes the survey useless for drawing accurate conclusions.

I have tons of steam games, but in the past 10 years I have submitted a response to the hardware survey maybe 5 times.

How many people play League of Legends ( A lot), Hearthstone (A lot) , World of Warcraft, Overwatch, Diablo 3, Minecraft, Final Fantasy XIV, Eve Online, etc. None of these games require steam, and can be played for months on end(please don't ask how I know this :) ) without the need to turn on Steam and submit a survey response.

Any survey you have the option to not participate in, where you are already surveying a smaller subset of the total market you are trying to draw conclusions on.... well I hope you can figure out where I am going from there. Throw in that steam doesn't include actual numbers of responses and.. well.. it really makes the survey useless for drawing accurate conclusions.

I have tons of steam games, but in the past 10 years I have submitted a response to the hardware survey maybe 5 times.

How many people play League of Legends ( A lot), Hearthstone (A lot) , World of Warcraft, Overwatch, Diablo 3, Minecraft, Final Fantasy XIV, Eve Online, etc. None of these games require steam, and can be played for months on end(please don't ask how I know this :) ) without the need to turn on Steam and submit a survey response.

Of course some don't reply to the survey but I'm 100% sure it's a minority, I mean it's not like you have to do anything but click "yes" "next" "done".

And it doesn't matter that some games don't require Steam because most gamers still have an account and the application installed (if only for just CS:GO, DOTA 2, PUBG...) and will use it from time to time. And so they will still get the survey pop-up and chose to reply or not.

It's not a perfect source but as far as gaming goes it's far better than sales from a single shop in a single country, that's all I'm saying. If you know a better source let us know.

Steam is huge and international.

And I mean those 7700k sales... we know where this CPU shines. Probably slowing down a bit right now because of Coffee Lake incoming.

Last edited:
Of course some don't reply to the survey but I'm 100% sure it's a minority, I mean it's not like you have to do anything but click "yes" "next" "done".

And it doesn't matter that some games don't require Steam because most gamers still have an account and the application installed (if only for just CS:GO, DOTA 2, PUBG...) and will use it from time to time. And so they will still get the survey pop-up and chose to reply or not.

It's not a perfect source but as far as gaming goes it's far better than sales from a single shop in a single country, that's all I'm saying. If you know a better source let us know.

Steam is huge and international.

And I mean those 7700k sales... we know where this CPU shines. Probably slowing down a bit right now because of Coffee Lake incoming.

I've gone years without a Steam Survey asking me about my PC. Relying on it is extremely flawed. That's the crux of the situation; nobody wants to give concrete numbers for PC component sales. It is interesting nevertheless that Germans are so interested in AMD. Never knew they had such a following in Germany.

I've gone years without a Steam Survey asking me about my PC. Relying on it is extremely flawed. That's the crux of the situation; nobody wants to give concrete numbers for PC component sales. It is interesting nevertheless that Germans are so interested in AMD. Never knew they had such a following in Germany.

Plus German's typically don't show national pride, unless World Cup is on.

Still pretty cool to see AMD as an option still.

AMD needs to be around as it

A) keeps prices in check
B) Keeps Intel competitive

Same on the GPU side...

Germany is the biggest market in EU (suprise, suprise ...) and german E-tailers like Mindfactory, Alternate and Hardwareversand also attract al ot of customers from other EU countries beside Germany, Austria or Switzerland. Reason being that pricing in germany is usually the lowest for PC hardware in the €-zone.

Last edited:
I thought AMD had a fab in Dresden, Germany. I remember my Athlon 64 3000+ and Opteron 170 said made in Germany on the IHS.
I'm not surprised they have a following in Germany if I'm remembering things correctly.

I thought AMD had a fab in Dresden, Germany. I remember my Athlon 64 3000+ and Opteron 170 said made in Germany on the IHS.
I'm not surprised they have a following in Germany if I'm remembering things correctly.

Wow, that is some outdated memory man. The Dresden Fab is part of Globalfoundries, been that way for a while.

I think I'd be more concerned about the million euro drop in CPU revenue from March to June than being impressed by AMD's uptick in sales.

They did until they split the business up. It's GlobalFoundries now, but I assume AMD is one of their biggest customers. Yeah, that probably gives AMD more mind-share in Germany.

It's too bad the steam survey is only looking at a subset of the market, and not the entire market, or it actually might be a useful metric.

This is true but it's also a huge sample size that can't be ignored. That said, I suspect Steam is a lagging indicator and it will be several months before it shows an increase in AMD sales.

It's too bad the steam survey is only looking at a subset of the market, and not the entire market, or it actually might be a useful metric.
Sadly, that individual will always make posts like that.

Same as the other individuals that come to blindly defend windows 10, Microsoft, google, etc

This is true but it's also a huge sample size that can't be ignored. That said, I suspect Steam is a lagging indicator and it will be several months before it shows an increase in AMD sales.

We have no idea what the actual sample size is, because they don't publish it. I do agree we also have no other useful sources of data at this time, but a lack of alternative data doesn't make a flawed hypothesis scientific fact. You could likely classify it as an alternative fact if you want to be PC. ;)

We have no idea what the actual sample size is, because they don't publish it. I do agree we also have no other useful sources of data at this time, but a lack of alternative data doesn't make a flawed hypothesis scientific fact. You could likely classify it as an alternative fact if you want to be PC. ;)

Steam got ~150M users and their polls are consistent month after month, year after year.

Bad excuses are just that, bad excuses. The only part you can get away with is claiming that Steam only represent gamers.

Steam got ~150M users and their polls are consistent month after month, year after year.

Bad excuses are just that, bad excuses. The only part you can get away with is claiming that Steam only represent gamers.

Way to ignore the meat of his post, what is the sample size of steam? How do they select who participates?

P.s. your crusade against AMD is kind of pathetic at this point, I have seen you try to shit in every thread that expresses even a little positivity concerning AMD and it's kind of pathetic.

Way to ignore the meat of his post, what is the sample size of steam? How do they select who participates?

If the sample size was so small that it was not representative it would show month after month, year after year. Yet it's so big that it doesn´t.

So you can try claim something along the line that gamers are not using AMD and hence not representing them correctly in the overall market.

Sadly, that individual will always make posts like that.

Same as the other individuals that come to blindly defend windows 10, Microsoft, google, etc

Last I checked, this is an AMD thread about an AMD processor. Please take that stuff somewhere else, I prefer to here about the original topic without all the crap. AMD is doing well for the first time in a long time in the HEDT market, that is always a plus in my book.

Edit: It is great to see them doing well in the mainstream market as well. I have almost always preferred AMD in all my personal builds. That said, I am only one person and cannot carry the market myself and therefore, it is a good thing to see AMD competitive again.

^This

I love how people think steam survey equal the whole market.

News flash they do not.

Yeah, Steam survey is only meaningful for gaming PCs. Which are only a small percentage of the total entry-level HPC market.

Could have told you gaming PCs would barely move inches twoard 6+ core. But the rest of the market loves cheap multi-core with almost the same (non-AVX2) IPC as Intel.

Because in 2017 there are still idiot companies that release dual-threaded games like Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Last edited:

Then have another metric:
We run +5000 servers.
All intel CPU's...all cost more than any consumer CPU.
Lots of new Intel servers planned....zero AMD servers.

I think you will like Steam numbers better than enterprise numbers...just saying.

Perhaps it had something to do with a Fab in Dresden...FYI ;)

We run +5000 servers.

I think you will like Steam numbers better than enterprise numbers...just saying.

Agreed, big enterprise customers won't change overnight. There's more to buying a server than just the processor price (the cost of 128GB or more of ram is nuts), and there's additional Intel goodies that may make a changeover a difficult sale.

But there's still a large market for high-performance workstations, both from small groups within those same big enterprise companies and for small businesses. And in in that case the processor price difference is much more important. (typically shipping with 16-32GB of ram).

Last edited:

Consistent for the subset of the market it represents.

We run +5000 servers.

But why are you so goddamn happy about it tho? When fanboys dance around citing statistics like this, they're actually happy about something that is bad for them as well. Every one of my PCs is on Intel, but I want AMD to have at least 50% market share to keep prices down and innovation at maximum.

Consistent for the subset of the market it represents.

But why are you so goddamn happy about it tho? When fanboys dance around citing statistics like this, they're actually happy about something that is bad for them as well. Every one of my PCs is on Intel, but I want AMD to have at least 50% market share to keep prices down and innovation at maximum.

Who said I was happy about it? (You are to emtinal and fallacies don't fly)
But for the last +10 year AMD has been irrelevant in enterprise.
The last 10 years has also been super in perf/watt for datacenters without an uptake for the TCO of hardware...without AMD.
It's simple facts af the business-segment I work in.

Back