AMD’s Hawaii GPU to return with Radeon 300 series

you cant register unless you are in the UK.

and i doubt he will give you sales figures anyway.

are you registered? He may not have an issue being vague about 970 vs 290x sales if someone were to ask, wouldn't expect numbers though :)

not i, i tried a couple times, but they just delete your registration if your IP isnt in the UK.

its probobly a good idea i cant register, there has been more than a few times ive wanted to post a nasty message.

lol

As others posted, the 290X does beat the 970. However, I still chose the 970 (pre-3.5Gb. ;) ), and I would, again, if there were no 3xx coming down the pike.

I just picked up a 290X recently. It was $300 CDN and I would have to spend $400 CDN to get a 970. Maybe prices are different where you are but more/similar performance for $100 less is a no brainer to me.

I just picked up a 290X recently. It was $300 CDN and I would have to spend $400 CDN to get a 970. Maybe prices are different where you are but more/similar performance for $100 less is a no brainer to me.

I believe you referring to the sale on the Powercolor 290x with Dirt Rally. Using a one off sale as well recently the Gigabyte 970 G1 with Batman:AC and Witcher 3 was available for $370. Witcher 3 and Batman:AC are resellable for much more than Dirt Rally dragging the price closer and the G1 is a considerd a higher end model and brand.

Right now actually in Canada general regular prices for the GTX 970 are lower, and even more so if you factor in the game bundle differeences. Hawaii's best value advantage over the GTX 970 was over the Winter season when AMD was still including a massive bundle and prices were lower. Hawaii prices have actually trended slightly upwards since then as there was oversupply which AMD has reduced (was discussed in an earnings call).

If $849 and 4GB only are both true, it'll likely be another FX-9590 stunt to cash in on the early adopters before massively dropping prices. Although unless the 390X is 15% faster than Titan X at every resolution, I doubt many (any?) would bite.

That being said, this is the same site that reported 290X would be $699 at launch. I suspect the $849 might be the "special pre-launch pre-order" price. ;)

850 doesn't seem to bad, I would say 750-700 would be the sweet spot.

I would love a card that powerful.

Back