AMD: Ryzen Was a “Worst Case Scenario," Reveals Details on Ryzen 2

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Even though Ryzen turned out pretty well, AMD is defending the CPU lineup’s (arguably) low clock rates: marketing manager Don Woligroski suggests that current performance is just a sampling of the brand's potential and notes that Zen 2 will really improve IPC rates and base frequencies. The company also intends to work with game developers to finally move PC gaming into the multi-core era.

When asked how AMD is approaching game optimization for multi-core CPUs, Woligrowski explained that “for games that are already released, our focus is making sure if they have a problem on Ryzen processors… we’ll go and engage with the developer. We did it for DOTA 2 and Rise of The Tomb Raider." As for what’s coming next year, AMD plans to make specialized engineers available for developers who want to learn how to optimize their code, and game designers will be able to quickly adapt to the evolving APIs.

If I have learned anything in my long career in tech is you ALWAYS wait for the second release of anything. Service Pack 1, Revision 2, "S" version before you go in to new tech. Let some other sucker work out all the kinks, I can wait.

How are they going to market the next gen chips? Ryzen 2/7, 2Ryzen7, RyzenII 7?

I am pretty happy with my Ryzen system.

I do wonder if Ryzen ii will be socket compatabile and will it bring more pcie lanes?

It's interesting that AMD abandoned the original pronunciation for Ryzen and instead have adopted what everyone else has been calling it, internally.

I am happy with my Ryzen 7 system and I am glad I didn't wait to upgrade. I hope that Ryzen 2 stays with the same socket design so that we don't all have to change our mobo's when its released though. It all sounds positive in the AMD camp :)

I am happy with my Ryzen 7 system and I am glad I didn't wait to upgrade. I hope that Ryzen 2 stays with the same socket design so that we don't all have to change our mobo's when its released though. It all sounds positive in the AMD camp :)

they've commited for Ryzen 2 on AM4, they've said it officially, and me having a 6 core on Nforce3 and a AGP Geforce 2 TI is just hilarious and amd have always had this socket compability.

I hope the game optimizations for multi-core end up working out, because I clearly remember AMD working with Crytek for the Far Cry AMD64 upgrade patch, and the results of that were amazing. If done right, we could have results like that FC upgrade provided.

Next Ryzen: Ryzening

Next next Ryzen: Rozen

Next next next Ryzen: Rozed

Next next next next Ryzen: Ryzurning

:LOL:

It's a good CPU, kick Intel's ass for price to performance, just not at gaming. Interesting enough the K designator for Intel must do some magic sauce for games, since Intel's non-Ks are much slower.

I was going to say they'd just add a 2 to the current naming scheme (Ryzen 7 2700, for example), but I thought I read they were giving their IGP skus that (Ryzen 7 2700 = Ryzen 7 1700 + vega igp).

Roze

Edit for space efficiency: BullRisen

Last edited:
You are all wrong and have missed the actual obvoius...

Ryzen XXX!

Or are we finally done with X's now? :p

I am pretty happy with my Ryzen system.

I do wonder if Ryzen ii will be socket compatabile and will it bring more pcie lanes?

You either get more PCI-E lanes on a different socket or keep the same number of PCI-E lanes on the same socket. The PCI-E controller built into the CPU pretty much guarantees this unless the socket was designed with more PCI-E lanes from the beginning, which is unlikely.

It's a good CPU, kick Intel's ass for price to performance, just not at gaming. Interesting enough the K designator for Intel must do some magic sauce for games, since Intel's non-Ks are much slower.
Starting with Skylake "non-K" processors are lower power than their 'K' counterparts, and thus run at a lower clock speed.
The K CPUs run at higher clockspeeds.
It wasn't always like this. Devil's Canyon was really the first time that the two differed in a way outside of the unlocked multiplier, the 4790K being an 88W part at 4.0-4.2 GHz while the 4790 was still an 84W part at 3.6-4.0 GHz.

Back