AMD Ryzen™ 3000XT Series Processors

I concur. Can't watch because throttled net connection. Could someone write a short summary?

Same chip, just slightly faster (+100 MHz for 3600XT & 3900XT, +200 MHz for 3800XT) and same launch price as the non XT variate.

Annotation 2020-06-16 115848.png

I like Robert so I'm just picking on him here. But if AMD wants to bring faster performance to market as fast as possible why are they delaying 4000 series?

I like Robert so I'm just picking on him here. But if AMD wants to bring faster performance to market as fast as possible why are they delaying 4000 series?
Clearing inventory and corona-chan has fucked up everything this year..

No mention of fabric speed increase, if there is one I'm curious to see what it does for latency and overall speed. Looks like leaks were accurate though..

Between the $300 B550 boards, and the suggested retail pricing here, I haven't been too impressed with these announcements so far...
But the only thing that piqued my interest, as N4CR mentioned, was someone's comment under the HardwareUnboxed video suggesting InfinityFabric (IF) improvements - apparently FCLK was bumped 200Mhz?

Anandtech didn't mention it either, but THG has a brief mention towards the end.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-xt-3000-processors-3900xt-499-3800xt-399-3600xt-249

Now - I haven't run AMD since Athlon 64 days, so not sure how much weight to put into IF improvements (1800Mhz to 2000Mhz) resulting in a substantial IPC improvements. Nothing on the scale of CPU/NB from Phenom days anyway.

I think what this really means is that AMD doesn't see any need to rush to market with the Ryzen 4000 series. I think it makes business sense to AMD to delay the CPU. The reasons could be numerous, but Zen2 is doing just fine against Intel right now. I think the XT series CPU's also show us that the yields on these CPU's are getting better and they can start offering them with slightly higher boost clocks. This will only help them on the gaming front and extend the lead over Intel's Comet Lake / Cascade Lake-X CPU's outside of gaming.

Competition isn't just about always having the better product. It's a chess game involving business decisions as much or more than anything else. Hell, a lot of time the better product isn't what wins. It's releasing the right product at the right time and pricing it appropriately. AMD's done excellent work since Ryzen launched and it's made all the right moves since then with only a few stumbles here and there. I think B550 has come way too late and the APU model numbering is stupid. Otherwise, AMD's done well here. It clearly has no reason to worry about Comet Lake or Cascade Lake-X. Continuing to improve on Zen3 and wait to counter Intel's next move makes sense.

LOL. AMD becomes Intel? Same uarch, slightly higher clocks. AMD fans rejoice.

Big MEH.

Big MEH.
Meh, didn't get intel's shit, not getting this either. Take the flame bait elsewhere.

I may just go ahead and get a 3700X. The deals right now on it are pretty good. Zen 3 might be delayed or more expensive on launch.

Yeah. Right now the B450 boards are much cheaper than the B550 boards, and the R5 3600 and R7 3700X are very well-priced. A B550 board and XT cpu seem like a comparatively poor value.

Yeah. Right now the B450 boards are much cheaper than the B550 boards, and the R5 3600 and R7 3700X are very well-priced. A B550 board and XT cpu seem like a comparatively poor value.
Getting the right motherboard for a good price seems to be the bigger hurdle right now. I want PCI-E 4.0 for future-proofing but B550 motherboards are mostly out of stock right now and the X570 boards are higher priced. The cases I'm interested in are either out of stock or marked up way too high.

Well if you where building today the main reason to go B550 would still be the 4000 chips.... they will be coming. And sure most B450 will get bios updates, but it sounds like there will be much hoop jumping even for the best 450s.

I think its a great time to grab a B550 board if you can actually get what you want at a reasonable price... and slap a non XT in it. Best deal you can get even if its on a 3600. Perfectly acceptable gaming CPU and a mobo that you can drop a 4000 in next year.

On the news of XTs for now... I'm not shocked what with the Virus killing supply lines right now, and demand being high enough that damn near anything priced decently is moving. Why blow your new CPU powder on a launch window where likely no one will be able to get any decently priced parts to build anything anyway. Launching a new MAJOR CPU right now would be sort of stupid... the reality of the times would severely cut into sales.

Last edited:
I think someone gave them info that Intel's 14nm++++++++++++ is gonna hurt.

I think what this really means is that AMD doesn't see any need to rush to market with the Ryzen 4000 series. I think it makes business sense to AMD to delay the CPU. The reasons could be numerous, but Zen2 is doing just fine against Intel right now. I think the XT series CPU's also show us that the yields on these CPU's are getting better and they can start offering them with slightly higher boost clocks. This will only help them on the gaming front and extend the lead over Intel's Comet Lake / Cascade Lake-X CPU's outside of gaming.

Competition isn't just about always having the better product. It's a chess game involving business decisions as much or more than anything else. Hell, a lot of time the better product isn't what wins. It's releasing the right product at the right time and pricing it appropriately. AMD's done excellent work since Ryzen launched and it's made all the right moves since then with only a few stumbles here and there. I think B550 has come way too late and the APU model numbering is stupid. Otherwise, AMD's done well here. It clearly has no reason to worry about Comet Lake or Cascade Lake-X. Continuing to improve on Zen3 and wait to counter Intel's next move makes sense.
I agree they will wait to release but likely will keep developing in the background.

it all depends on what you're looking for feature wise.. what you get on b550 i feel justifies the price, now are all those features needed for the vast majority of users? probably not.. how many b450 boards come with 2.5gbit lan? how many have 802.11AX wifi? how many have pcie 4.0 and have pcie 3.0 off the chipset?(quick answer, none of them) the board partners threw the kitchen sink at b550 so i can't really complain about the price.. i mean hell my 200 dollar x570 doesn't have 2.5gbit lan and doesn't have 802.11AX or BT5.0/5.1 so i'd say b550 is priced fine for what you get. if you don't need all that stuff, then b450's still an option so there ya go AMD and the board partners have you covered.

Those price increases can't be right.

AMD is nowhere near as far ahead as Intel used to be, they can't be this reckless with good will.

Can they?

Those price increases can't be right.

AMD is nowhere near as far ahead as Intel used to be, they can't be this reckless with good will.

Can they?

pretty much what brothermichigan said, they're not increasing prices.. they lowered all the non XT chip prices and put the XT chips at the original release price of the old x series chips.. if they were pulling an intel they would of put the 3800XT at 500 dollars and EOL'd the chips they were replacing since that's essentially what intel did when they replaced the 9900k with the 9900KS.

They're not price increases; they're the same price as the parts they're replacing were at launch.
pretty much what brothermichigan said, they're not increasing prices.. they lowered all the non XT chip prices and put the XT chips at the original release price of the old x series chips.. if they were pulling an intel they would of put the 3800XT at 500 dollars and EOL'd the chips they were replacing since that's essentially what intel did when they replaced the 9900k with the 9900KS.

Yeah, the chart I read was a bullshit rumour one. At least that's something.

Big MEH.
The difference is, this is a 6 month refresh.... Not a 6th year refresh. I always figured zen would be announced this year but not actually ship until Q1 2021... Less than 1 year after a 15% IPC increase seems a bit to fast to release a new uarch. I'm not super excited about the refresh, but they could have done absolutely nothing too... Yields are getting better so they are passing it on to the customer without charging more than normal MSRP. If they cancelled zen3 and said this was it, then I'd compare it to what Intel has been doing, but that's just not the case.

Not very excited either - although I was planning on skipping Zen 3 and waiting for DDR5 and upgrading then.

Seems like with the XT, the extra 100-200MHz is only guaranteed on 1 core and not all of them... I guess we'll have to wait and see if reviews show that the extra boost is across all cores or most, etc.

And at $500, what will that drive the 3900X down to? Like $400-450? If you live near a Microcenter, the 3900X have been going for $400 for awhile now not including the CPU/Motherboard bundle discount on top.

This is more underwhelming that I expected. Literally 1%-2% performance gain across the board.

Paper launch it in October and they haven't told a lie? Start shipping in April and boom all promises kept and goals met.

Possibly, since they just said "launch," but there's no reason to think there will be a gap anywhere near this large. AMD has been very good with execution under Lisa Su and getting these parts on the market by the holidays would be a big deal, especially given that Intel probably won't have a competitor available in time. The XT parts aren't nearly as exciting.

Possibly, since they just said "launch," but there's no reason to think there will be a gap anywhere near this large. AMD has been very good with execution under Lisa Su and getting these parts on the market by the holidays would be a big deal, especially given that Intel probably won't have a competitor available in time. The XT parts aren't nearly as exciting.
Well not necessarily a paper launch, but a very limited supply one essentially what they did with the 3000 launch they "Launched" in Q4 2019 but deliveries didn't start happening until Q1 of 2020 and even those for the first bit were 3 or 4 processors at a time.

Well not necessarily a paper launch, but a very limited supply one essentially what they did with the 3000 launch they "Launched" in Q4 2019 but deliveries didn't start happening until Q1 of 2020 and even those for the first bit were 3 or 4 processors at a time.
Yeah, I think the demand is there to make any stock disappear quick on release. I'm just impressed they have a new chip releasing so close to zen2 considering the 10-15% boost that gave us. Of course. I want it sooner, but really they have to sell these for some time to make money, lol. Intel milked 2-3% gains for years, not 12 months and I didn't hear so much complaining about it getting pushed back (maybe it was because there wasn't any excitement, lol).

Not quite enticing enough for me to upgrade from my 2600x with a b450. I'll most likely upgrade to a 4000 when they come out if I can use it with my b450 mobo.

Pretty much. 4%ish increase in performance at 20% markup in price. I'll wait until Zen 3.

Sounds to me AMD had a bunch of binned CPU's lying around and need to offload them.
Why do people keep saying this, the price is the same as what it's replacing. So 5-10% performance.for the same exact price... yet people are complaining. I understand with zen3 being so close there is good reason to wait (I'll most likely wait as well), but that doesn't mean extra performance at the same price is a crappy deal or somehow AMD trying to take advantage of people, lol. They could have not given us any extra performance and people would still buy them. Now they get a slight bit more most likely due to yields improving. Imagine Intel offered a 9700kt that was a 9700k but 5% faster and charged the same??? Yeah I can't really imagine it either.

Disclosure: Same $ is relative as we haven't actually seen them yet and we know street prices can vary wildly, just look at 3300x going for $200 and current 3600x going for ~$230. So on current street prices your looking at about 8% price delta for 5% performance.... That's still pretty good.

Back