AMD Ryzen Threadripper: The Fascinating Story Behind The Processor That Beat Intel

JustReason

razor1 is my Lover
https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welco...at-beat-intel/&refURL=&referrer=#39d67001230c

I am sure the title is gonna bring some colorful individuals. But anyway this is an interesting read.

In many ways, it's even more successful than Ryzen mainstream processors. For $1000, you get more cores and better performance in many tests with Ryzen Threadripper 1950X than Intel's equivalent and highest performing desktop CPU - Core i9-7900X. Where AMD is still a little slower, for example in some older or lightly threaded games, is less of an issue as many people will use Ryzen Threadripper purely for its multithreaded performance. It has to be said that there aren't many reasons to choose Intel in the high end desktop market at this price point.

The battle goes on, of course, with Intel due to release processors with even more cores over the coming weeks, but just where did this somewhat unexpected processor come from? It might surprise you to learn that Ryzen Threadripper wasn’t originally part of AMD’s plans, which back in 2015 only included Ryzen and the EPYC server CPU.

I will say it is very enlightening and great to see good ole down to earth appreciation and enthusiasm.

Last edited:
They basically took the idea of 'if I were an enthusiast, what would I want' and ran with it. Marketing, focus groups, data etc. be damned. Sometimes that's really the best way.

It has to be said that there aren't many reasons to choose Intel in the high end desktop market at this price point.

What is going to happen when the Intel Apostles see this...
giphy.gif

So basicly a few guys glued together even moar cores on their spare time? ;) ;)

So basicly a few guys glued together even moar cores on their spare time? ;) ;)
they mention the choice of a monolithic design or TRs current Infinity Fabric and why its current design saved MILLIONS.

I went in the Intel forum and mentioned threadripper and was immediately executed with the highest methods possible. It was a blood bath and I was the victim. I never have seen such violent fanboy'ism as such than over in the HardForum Intel section.

I went in the Intel forum and mentioned threadripper and was immediately executed with the highest methods possible. It was a blood bath and I was the victim. I never have seen such violent fanboy'ism as such than over in the HardForum Intel section.
Intel is screwed.

I wouldn't say that ... the 7980xe looks like its going to be an absolute MONSTER! I am not kidding. We will see though. This is based on some purported leaks.

It will be. Intel will continue to hold the absolute performance crown, even if Threadripper temporarily slotted in for a moment. But from a cost perspective, the 7980xe is ludicrous.

I've said pretty much the same thing on the forums. The only reason to buy the 7900X instead of the Threadripper 1950X is if you are only concerned about gaming and nothing else. With anything else, I think the 1950X is the better buy.

I wouldn't say that ... the 7980xe looks like its going to be an absolute MONSTER! I am not kidding. We will see though. This is based on some purported leaks.
Oh it will be a monster. My point was the intel fanbois reacted to your post because no one was prepared for the value TR represents in the HEDT space. Eating Intel's lunch in sales in that space was not expected. I'm wondering if there will be price drops from Intel and errosion of their margins going forward.

Monstrous performance at a monstrous price.

It will be. Intel will continue to hold the absolute performance crown, even if Threadripper temporarily slotted in for a moment. But from a cost perspective, the 7980xe is ludicrous.

Agreed. I'd pay a bit over the standard Extreme Edition price point of $1,000 for one of these, but $2,000? No thanks.

I've said pretty much the same thing on the forums. The only reason to buy the 7900X instead of the Threadripper 1950X is if you are only concerned about gaming and nothing else. With anything else, I think the 1950X is the better buy.

That's not true though. I was just talking to a random guy yesterday and he mentioned to me that his next pc will be an Amd. Not because it's a faster chip, but that they aren't as big of assholes in his opinion as Intel is. You're wrong bud.

Here is an exact example of the Stockholm Syndrom of Intel brand loyal slavelings:

Copied and pasted from the Intel Forum.

I invite those of you hating on TIM to read this article: https://overclocking.guide/the-truth-about-cpu-soldering/

The fact that you can take a 18c/36t chip to the high 4 GHz range is mind blowing and warrants a price gap, whether you like it or not.

Sure it is mind blowing but it certainly still doesn't justify the price and the fact that the average Intel Jenkem sniffing junky is willing to justify it because they want to be secure in their fanatical impression that Intel might as well be the Pope to them, blows my mind.

What happened to voting with your dollars? I say let Intel price them at 2k then NO ONE buy a single chip, which is a pipe dream, and watch those little old prices drop rapidly. It probably cost Intel $75.00 to make these things in the bulk they make processors. Ok fine, because of binning and extra machining and manufacturing overhead for these really top end chips... $85.00 per unit. Even covering overhead such as paying employees, research, blah blah etc.... they are still making hundreds and hundreds of % in profit on these and it's ridiculous to me that the junkies will pay this abhorrent price for electronic dick size.

Drop the price to $1300 and you will see a 1950x up for sale and I will be ordering one of these chips instead but Intel doesn't want my money, not good enough, plus my e-cock is plenty big with this 1950x and it's ridiculous horsepower already. I am glad my /ignore list is good to go already so I wont have to see the mindless driveling defense lines of the common named people we all know about.

Last edited:
Here is an exact example of the Stockholm Syndrom of Intel brand loyal slavelings:

Copied and pasted from the Intel Forum.

Sure it is mind blowing but it certainly still doesn't justify the price and the fact that the average Intel Jenkem sniffing junky is willing to justify it because they want to be secure in their fanatical impression that Intel might as well be the Pope to them, blows my mind.

What happened to voting with your dollars? I say let Intel price them at 2k then NO ONE buy a single chip, which is a pipe dream, and watch those little old prices drop rapidly. It probably cost Intel $75.00 to make these things in the bulk they make processors.

:LOL::ROFLMAO::facepalm:

If you don't like it, don't buy it. If calling me an Intel slaveling (despite me owning a Ryzen 5 as my only system right now) helps you sleep at night, then go right ahead.

:LOL::ROFLMAO::facepalm:

If you don't like it, don't buy it. If calling me an Intel slaveling (despite me owning a Ryzen 5 as my only system right now) helps you sleep at night, then go right ahead.

You will never see the kind of ludicrous bashing of other peoples less than "Intel optimal" opinion over in the AMD side. I go over there and complain about a little lack of solder and mention the price of an otherworldy badass chip thats about to drop and I might as well been executed by a thousand brutal beatings. The whole of the H Intel forums is about as mean as they come.

You will never see the kind of ludicrous bashing of other peoples less than "Intel optimal" opinion over in the AMD side. I go over there and complain about a little lack of solder and mention the price of an otherworldy badass chip thats about to drop and I might as well been executed by a thousand brutal beatings. The whole of the H Intel forums is about as mean as they come.

What did you expect from the fan base of a company that's been dominating for the better part of a decade?

C'mon, you were trolling them just to get their goat. LOLs at the reaction.

They do love the report button over there (that's all I'm going to say lest I get another ban).

Fantastic story! Wow! Almost a free R&D project! So much for R&D budget being the be all and end all in a successful product. Passion this time ruled and making it fun for all.

Back