AMD Ryzen Threadripper Specs and Pricing Officially Revealed

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
AMD revealed all the details on Threadripper at Siggraph today. Finally no stone left unturned in what has been a truly long drawn out launch by AMD, but finally the trickling is over. We get solid data on all pertinent points to look forward to.

Full presentation here.

Last edited:
That 1900x looks to be a solid way to get started on the x399 platform. I really wasn't expecting to see it in the line up, and while the 1800x has had a hard case for it's existence, the 1900x really puts a nail in it's coffin

That 1900x looks to be a solid way to get started on the x399 platform. I really wasn't expecting to see it in the line up, and while the 1800x has had a hard case for it's existence, the 1900x really puts a nail in it's coffin

the 1800x still has it's uses for the lazy consumer that wants 16 threads with the most performance without having to overclock but doesn't need quad channel DDR4. the one thing though is there's now a distinct advantage between the 1800x and 1900x is that you get double the pci-e lanes and you get quad channel DDR4 unlike intel's 7700k and 7740k which made zero sense on X299, you don't even get quad channel DDR4 but don't worry you get 100mhz higher base clock and the same turbo clock.. either way smart move on AMD's part with the 1900x and surprised they were able to keep it quiet this long.

The 1900x is worth the extra few dollars for quad memory plus pcie lanes. It's just hard when you think it'll have same CPU performance as 1700 at about twice the cost. You really are just paying for the platform upgrade.

The 1900x is worth the extra few dollars for quad memory plus pcie lanes. It's just hard when you think it'll have same CPU performance as 1700 at about twice the cost. You really are just paying for the platform upgrade.

I agree. To many, quad channel memory and 64 PCIe lanes would be worth the premium, as long as there are MoBos with 3+ uncrippled M.2 NVMe sockets.

You really are just paying for the platform upgrade.
Yep, but if you are looking at it being a platform you want to hold on to for a number of years, it really makes solid case for it self. The extra M.2, the extra lanes, the quad channel memory support are all going to gain usefulness as it ages, and you can always literally double the CPU a few years down the road if more cores are needed and not have to touch anything else. Makes for a very solid foundation for the next few years.

The only reason to get an 1900x is to gain entry to the lanes and run more cards in the slots.

Otherwise there is NOT a nail in the 1800x coffin. The 1800x is still significantly less by hundreds of dollars and not everyone needs more than 1 gpu and the onboard nic is ok and no other expansion needs. Thats going to be the great number of users in fact.

1900x is going to be my next upgrade from i7-4770k (run @ stock) for my linux box, assuming kernel support is there.

Tired of playing pci-e lane "musical chairs" depending upon what is plugged in, on intel motherboards.

8 Core / 16 Thread for the WIN! :D That plus a mid range board would have made a great build and chances are, if I did not already have my Ryzen Builds, that is what I would have gone for on day one. :)

1900x is going to be my next upgrade from i7-4770k (run @ stock) for my linux box, assuming kernel support is there.

I am still very concerned about the instability under linux (and other OSs) during heavily threaded compiles... This is still not fixed and does not seem to be closer to being fixed. Although a few have reported a CPU RMA fixed the issue but others have reported it did not.

https://community.amd.com/thread/215773

4.2 GHz XFR? This is probably new silicon, looks like they refined the process

No Ryzen core reaches that even with very high volts, this is amazing

The only reason to get an 1900x is to gain entry to the lanes and run more cards in the slots.

Otherwise there is NOT a nail in the 1800x coffin. The 1800x is still significantly less by hundreds of dollars and not everyone needs more than 1 gpu and the onboard nic is ok and no other expansion needs. Thats going to be the great number of users in fact.
So you don't need the extra lanes, or other benefits of the x399, why do you buy the 1800x over the 1700x or even 1700? That's the problem. The low end side is covered by the 1700, the 1900x then picks it up on the high end.

So you don't need the extra lanes, or other benefits of the x399, why do you buy the 1800x over the 1700x or even 1700? That's the problem. The low end side is covered by the 1700, the 1900x then picks it up on the high end.

For people like us you're 100% right that the 1700/x fills the gap since we're going to overclock them.. but not everyone wants to or has the patience to, especially with ryzen not being a set and forget style overclock so the 1800/x still has its place.

Yes but this is [H] forums and if I were to ask 99% of people entering the door at Microcenter that is building a gaming computer if they have ever heard of [H] they would say no, maybe, or they know someone that does know of it. And they could give 2 cents less about overclocking and the 1800x hits 4ghz out of the gates and that is what they want.

Gotta open your scope a little bit or zoom out some to see more of the picture. The PC market far surpasses the limited accepted routes of hardware enthusiasm driven madness that we do here on HardFOrums.

To an extent yes. But I'm not comparing them in a vaccum. Right now you spend $50 more and you get also get ECC support which is something I really need along with the cores.

To an extent yes. But I'm not comparing them in a vaccum. Right now you spend $50 more and you get also get ECC support which is something I really need along with the cores.

Dont forget the boards you must run also cost about $200 more. So while you say it is a cheap upgrade to go from 18 to 19, it really isn't when you factor the board cost. It really is around $300 more. However, if that is the price to pay for the lanes and the ECC then hell yeah its worth it. I am still toying with the idea of running ECC but I really want RGB sticks on my board.

Yes but this is [H] forums and if I were to ask 99% of people entering the door at Microcenter that is building a gaming computer if they have ever heard of [H] they would say no, maybe, or they know someone that does know of it. And they could give 2 cents less about overclocking and the 1800x hits 4ghz out of the gates and that is what they want.

Gotta open your scope a little bit or zoom out some to see more of the picture. The PC market far surpasses the limited accepted routes of hardware enthusiasm driven madness that we do here on HardFOrums.
The unwashed masses of purchasers buy prebuilt and the 1800x isn't aimed at them. It's aimed at the enthusiast, and there are plenty of other tech sites out there saying the same thing as [H], buy the 1700. Seriously how many tech sites are recommending the 1800x over the 1700x or 1700? It's just not happening. No one is building a box without checking into some of the parts and prices first, especially an AM4 build that requires a focus on memory compatibility. Yes there is going to be handful of people buying the 1800x because they don't want to fuck with the OC, but there is a reason the 1700(x) is outselling it at the major retailers. It's dead to the enthusiast and the mainstream isn't going to pay the price premium or even see it offered. Where is the market for it, really? Rebranded as the 1900x and the gateway to the x399. That's where it still works.

Dont forget the boards you must run also cost about $200 more. So while you say it is a cheap upgrade to go from 18 to 19, it really isn't when you factor the board cost. It really is around $300 more. However, if that is the price to pay for the lanes and the ECC then hell yeah its worth it. I am still toying with the idea of running ECC but I really want RGB sticks on my board.
Yeah I'm aware. However, the reduction in cost per core is so low right now that everyone should be upgrading now. When I bough my 6-core Ivy I paid a pretty penny for it (it didn't have ECC either). Definitely more than $500. Probably closer to $650 or more. If I wanted ECC then that meant Xeon and a high clocked six core Xeon was something like $999 and the boards for that were definitely in the $300 range. So it's still a savings if I want a high clocked 8 or more core + ECC. I dont' think you can get ECC on x299.

No 10C and 14C. Plus confirmation that the 'leak' about 16C @ 3.5GHz within 155W was a joke.

Last edited:
4.2 GHz XFR? This is probably new silicon, looks like they refined the process

No Ryzen core reaches that even with very high volts, this is amazing

RyZen 1600X and 1800X both have XFR of 4.1GHz.

4.2GHz is only a 2% higher than 4.1GHz you don't even need a new process for that tiny quantity, binning is enough.

Does someone find something odd in this slide?

1501475928u7no9dstxp_1_16_l.png

Does someone find something odd in this slide?

1501475928u7no9dstxp_1_16_l.png
Yes. Totally, it's the wrong color palette it's still summertime and those are fall colors obviously. I'm assuming you would prefer something in the color blue for the background gradient? I am a Periwinkle man myself. Although some might prefer seafoam as an appropriate color.

1800x just dropped to 349 so now the price gap widened alot.

I expect AMD corrected for Intel's mainstream 6C / 12T. The 1800x would have been overpriced when the new i7s were released.

I am going to wait until I see how well quad channel does with Ryzen before making my decision.

It is very funny no site is reporting that numbers on AMD slides are wrong. But what to expect from the media, when journalists claim that "The newly-announced 1900X is an eight-core/16-thread processor identical to Ryzen 7, but on Threadripper’s platform."

No. It is not identical. One is a 8-core die. The other is a dual-die with 4-cores on each die. For instance, the 1900X will have a huge die-die latency when one core in one of the dies tries to access information in the other die.

. For instance, the 1900X will have a huge die-die latency when one core in one of the dies tries to access information in the other die.

And how much of an issue is that in the real world?

And how much of an issue is that in the real world?

Don't remember the CCX-CCX latency issues affecting games and other latency sensitive applications on RyZen?

1) Game developers had to patch the worse behaving games to avoid CCX-CCX communication, reallocating resources in cores in same CCX so much as possible.

2) AMD had to develop an improved AGESA/BIOS with a ~6ns reduction to help alleviate the performance penalty.

3) Forums are filled with recommendations to run overclocked RAM on RyZen to reduce the Infinity Fabric latency.

Don't remember the CCX-CCX latency issues affecting games and other latency sensitive applications on RyZen?

1) Game developers had to patch the worse behaving games to avoid CCX-CCX communication, reallocating resources in cores in same CCX so much as possible.

2) AMD had to develop an improved AGESA/BIOS with a ~6ns reduction to help alleviate the performance penalty.

3) Forums are filled with recommendations to run overclocked RAM on RyZen to reduce the Infinity Fabric latency.
Proof man, proof. A lot smoke and mirrors on your part with no proof of END results. Latency graphs do NOT speak to end results.

Proof man, proof. A lot smoke and mirrors on your part with no proof of END results. Latency graphs do NOT speak to end results.

Come now! Everything has been discussed up to extenuation in hundred of posts in different threads, including several dozens of links, benchmarks, and other numbers.

Come now! Everything has been discussed up to extenuation in hundred of posts in different threads, including several dozens of links, benchmarks, and other numbers.
so you have none. Okay. Only graphs have shown latency between parts but not showing end results. Shintai showed a 20%diff between Epyc and 4C intels but nothing showing any software reflecting a 20% diff in results, attributed only to that latency. You see that would be worst case and likely in real world never approach that, realistically prob not even 10% in end results. The lot of you anti-AMDers love to parrot irrelevant data to real world impact. Only those chasing benches would care, however as I and others have stated time-critical software users should go Intel for now as ANY platform in It's infancy is a bad purchase. For the rest of the world, do your homework and decide what best fits your needs and cost expectations.

Reactions: kac77
like this
Back