AMD Ryzen Threadripper Specs and Pricing Officially Revealed

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
AMD revealed all the details on Threadripper at Siggraph today. Finally no stone left unturned in what has been a truly long drawn out launch by AMD, but finally the trickling is over. We get solid data on all pertinent points to look forward to.

Full presentation here.

I'd sell my 1700 and go to the 1900X just to get those extra PCIe lanes.

Hopefully the launch isn't as much of a train wreck for the MB's this time.

I'd sell my 1700 and go to the 1900X just to get those extra PCIe lanes.

Hopefully the launch isn't as much of a train wreck for the MB's this time.

it'll probably depend on the AIB's.. MSI i wouldn't touch with a 50 ft pole no matter what board it is.. asrock has done a great job with their bios updates, gigabyte has been decent, asus is sorta hit or miss but i think they're getting better. given how well asrock boards have performed with current ryzen that would most likely be the best option if they release something similar to the taichi and pro gaming boards for threadripper.

Hell yes.

As long as the MB makers utilize them in a way that makes sense. Lotsa lanes for M.2 storage.
I don't want m.2 but still, they'll have the dedicated lanes for them anyways.

I'd like a nice dedicated u.2 and lots of slots.

That 1900x @ 3.8 is looking tasty. August 31, though =/

Hopefully the [H] crew hops on the OC tests quick. I've relied on them for so long I no longer know how to buy a part without Pope Kyle blessing it first.

64 lanes across the range, that's how to do it.

16x / 16x for SLIFire

Leaves 32 clear lanes for other shit right?

I would think AMD would get a little bit of flack from putting an 1800x on X399 and charging $120 more. Granted it is much better than skylake X as you get the full 64 PCIe lanes but still.

Can't seem to make up my mind on 12 or 16 core lol.

Have the same problem, though my wallet may get the final say, at $549. :(
In a position to have to upgrade literally everything, but my 1000W PSU and case! A little savings, at least.
So looking at a good chunk of change, but it's eight years in the making now, so.....about time!

Last edited:
Can't seem to make up my mind on 12 or 16 core lol.

16 core. By the time I upgrade they will probably be 20core or the price will be cut in half.

I'm already sitting on a pair of dual 8 core Xeon's so i've got 32 cores kicking right now with 256GB of RAM. Granted it only runs at 2.4GHZ but there is NOTHING limiting my CPU at all that I throw at it.

I'd love to reduce my E-ATX to a ATX and move everything to 2.5" SSD's or with TR I'll be able to get NVME drives....oooooo

2018 baby!

Here's hoping to see some benches for overclocking as well as per-core/per-clock performance investigation versus Intel i9's. Its clear that Threadripper does great for price/performance and performance across multi-threaded loads, but I want to ensure it doesn't fall short at single (or up to quad) core performance or not compare favorably clock for clock with Intel when OCed. Lots of games and certain apps still aren't able to make use of as many cores as Threadripper can handle, and Intel has been convincing people to buy because of them being able to handle either higher overclocks and/or the per-clock performance. We've also yet to see how Threadripper compares to Intel's own, admittedly a fuckload more expensive, 16-core part.

I still think Threadripper, if I get good answers to the above, will be part of my next build and I congratulate AMD for making a great showing here. Lets hope that the costs for the high-end motherboards from X399 are also lower than one will expect with Intel X99 / X299 for the same teir ,as has been the experience in the past with AMD. I'm especially interested in the Asus Zenith and expect it to be king of the hill again, but I am willing to see how the MSI and Gigabyte options stack up too.

With that many PCIe lanes I'd love someone to make a MATX board with 10Gig LAN on it.

Sounds like the 1900X is cherry-picked silicon. Wonder if it OCs better than 8 core Ryzens on X370. Will we finally crack the 4.0 GHz OC barrier on these things?

I was realllllly hoping that Vulkan Multi GPU is going to bring back making multiple gpus in a single box useful...
Given the way that mGPU is being built into VR by Unity and UE, I think there is a possibility that we might see more of it there in the future, and quite frankly it will likely be needed for super high end gaming, but I have lost all hope for it ever being big again on desktop.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
And you still get the full quad channel ram with all 8 slots still working. Probably why they're not getting flack over that.
Good point although I think the value proposition would have been great added had it been a 10 core unit at $599.

16 core. By the time I upgrade they will probably be 20core or the price will be cut in half.

I'm already sitting on a pair of dual 8 core Xeon's so i've got 32 cores kicking right now with 256GB of RAM. Granted it only runs at 2.4GHZ but there is NOTHING limiting my CPU at all that I throw at it.

I'd love to reduce my E-ATX to a ATX and move everything to 2.5" SSD's or with TR I'll be able to get NVME drives....oooooo

2018 baby!

Wow. That's nuts. What are you using it for?? :)

Let me guess, next you will claim 32GB of RAM is ridiculous and anything more than 8-cores on a CPU is overkill. [H]ard has become [L]imp.
I guess you are missing my point. By all means, I support you on stuffing all your boxes with SLI/CF, just don't expect a huge stockpile of upcoming games over the years to support that. This is coming from a guy with two Titan X cards in the box I am typing on right now. I am heavily leaning to the side of suggesting to our readers that they buy the most badass card they can afford at the time of purchase if they intend on keeping it for a while. I really hope to see mGPU exposed heavily in VR however, but I do not have enough evidence yet to suggest that is going to happen, however I do know that AMD and NVIDIA are working to simplify the mGPU support process through UE and Unity.

TFW 1900x is a better buy than 1800x...

Seriously though, that 1900x looks like a good chip.

Sounds like the 1900X is cherry-picked silicon. Wonder if it OCs better than 8 core Ryzens on X370. Will we finally crack the 4.0 GHz OC barrier on these things?
Seeing as the XFR rating on these is 4.2 GHZ that seems to suggest they should go faster than 4.0 :D

16 cores....32 threads......I'm guessing a lot of people are going to live streaming "Ashes of the Singularity", while transcoding H.264 to H.265 and watching a 480p movie upscaled to 4K with madVR. Yes it's an exciting CPU but really, the people who would use Threadripper would be in the fraction of a percent. I just hope this pressures Intel get off their lazy butts and start doing what they are good at. Cranking up the clock.

What about a solution like what AMD is claiming to work on with mGPU at a die interconnect level? If it was nearly seamless I'm sure you'd supporting such developments. I'm confident if it can work it will be the next big break in GPU tech, hopefully we can see it with Navi in a few years, if they do not develop it with nano-type Vega first. GPUs are massively threaded already, so this is really the only scalable step with existing tech, as per-core performance jumps begin to drop with the free node lunch ending. They supposedly have 500gb/sec of 'infinity fabric' capacity in Vega, and this is used particularly in their SSG systems and similar. Basically IF gives a low latency, ram-bandwidth link between GPUs, which should be enough to facilitate work down this path.

Considering they're teasing Nano already - perhaps they have two vega nanos, one interposer, 500gb/sec interlink for Vega20...
All up to the game devs. Not like CF/SLI have not been supported in hardware for years now.

Seeing as the XFR rating on these is 4.2 GHZ that seems to suggest they should go faster than 4.0 :D

Perhaps. The XFR 4.2 only applies to 2 cores, not all, IIRC. But it does make it seem more promising, for sure. Should be fun to see what Kyle can do with one when he gets a hold of it.

Back