AMD Ryzen Threadripper Packaging and Retail Dates Announced

Well that's a large box, is suppose when the cpu is the size of a fist you gotta make the box a bit bigger.

Last edited:
Reminds me of those CD long-boxes that the environmentalists had a fit over. Such a waste. Is it even recyclable or is it just landfill?

Reactions: ecktt
like this
Reminds me of those CD long-boxes that the environmentalists had a fit over. Such a waste. Is it even recyclable or is it just landfill?
The quote I saw said that the Extra Heavy Duty Cardboard used in the manufacturing of the box requires first run cardboard made out the finest endangered Mahogany, Oak and Hard Maple.
The 3 sturdy plastic clamshells inside the box use about 1 to 1.5 cups each of sweet crude to manufacture them.
25% of the boxes are totally wasted due to the intricate box curving machine, so at least there's that.

All I see is the decapitated head of those Intel 'spacemen' from the old Pentium ads.

il_570xN.765346542_1biu.jpg

Thankfully saying goodbye to the dollar store glossy red plastic everything their marketing was so crazy about.

The quote I saw said that the Extra Heavy Duty Cardboard used in the manufacturing of the box requires first run cardboard made out the finest endangered Mahogany, Oak and Hard Maple.
The 3 sturdy plastic clamshells inside the box use about 1 to 1.5 cups each of sweet crude to manufacture them.
25% of the boxes are totally wasted due to the intricate box curving machine, so at least there's that.

Don't forget the baby seal skin lining inside the box.

I still have this guy and his big brother sitting on my bench at home. Nice to see someone else old enough to remember him. :)

Oh I remember him... He just wasn't around in my formative years (in the MOS6510, 6502, 68000, 8088, 80286 years.) :p

I hope you can buy these in the OEM/tray variety if you already have a sufficient cooling solution. I don't really need another random part laying around in my workroom, and I doubt the AIO they include will resale for much. On the bright side, eBay might have quite a few of those coolers for people to upgrade into if you have a low-end air cooler or just want something different for a new build. They'll likely be from the same old OEMs that make everything else, so you can buy a retention bracket kit for whatever.

I've read every reply in this thread. Still can't figure out why the box is so big. Can someone please explain this for me?

The answer is right above. It has to fit both the motherboard, and the CRT in order to display the games' graphics. You'll notice the four button controller that accompanies it for user input.

:p

Threadripper: NAMCO Limited Edition?

Could be a circulated fluid thermal dissipative apparatus. Dunno.

Why only 4 buttons? As an internet denizen, I need to figure out something to be unreasonably angry about with this news/image post. I'm ready to say I'm never buying AMD again but I need to fully understand #boxgate2017.

Cool, but as is always the case with high end keyboards, video cards, motherboards, and other stuff, I always wish there was an option for some sort of OEM packaging that saved me $10.

Wow. People are now complaining about environmental waste. AMD bashing. I can find thousands of hardocp threads that say global warming doesn't exist :p

Any speculation on what brand AIO they might be throwing in? Guessing a 120 or 240mm.

IIRC, these were shipping with AIO watercooling units and that was the reason for the massive box.

the website that claimed it was coming with an aio cooler is now claiming it's not so it's hard to say. based on that giant box though i think it might be or it might be coming with that tower cooler amd was giving out to reviewers for the ryzen 7 processors.

Back