AMD Ryzen Threadripper DIY Water Block Mount Test

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Our first test mount so we can install a "real" water block on our Threadripper. Turned out OK. Can use a LOT less TIM. Doing a couple more tests to find the sweet spot. Will try a couple more techniques for getting the block mated well.

If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid.

Check out the video.

Last edited:
Very nice! Did you manage to unbent the pins and get it working?

Edit: the water block did not interfere with the closest ram slots?

Last edited:
Cool review of thermal paste application you might like: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Thermal-Paste-Application-Techniques-170/

I posted it on the MSI thread a few days ago. Interestingly someone in comments said an X with dots is what Cisco recommends:

original.jpg

Looks like these blocks need to be enlarged specifically for threadripper, the internal fins still don't cover all the cores, maybe they cover 2/3 at best, the tiny asetek aio covers like half of them.

is this the ghetto mods thread?

are you concerned with the block not fully covering the heat shield?

Kyle, it's M3.5
Yeah, I have that image, but it does not confirm that the heatsink mount point is m3.5. The one in the picture is not the right point. I do have a mail into AMD asking for thread verification.

Last edited:
Gotcha. Found the image when I was trying to see if the old koolance AMD bracket could be modded but I guess it's too short =(
On another note, I was really happy when I just lucked into those mounting posts working.....

That is a super bizarre mounting system they are going for. When you put on the plastic it looked like they weren't lined up straight but I figured it was just the camera angle. Evidently they are really not lined up.

I have all kind of water cooling parts and I too was considering doing this but I do not have a board yet. Im just a little old consumer and have to wait to get mine if they actually even ship on the 10th. Its doubtful it will ship. Probably will be some retarded excuse and the boards wont ship until September.

Cool review of thermal paste application you might like: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Thermal-Paste-Application-Techniques-170/
I posted it on the MSI thread a few days ago. Interestingly someone in comments said an X with dots is what Cisco recommends:

Good article.

If it were me I'd just cover 100% of the mounting surface with a thin layer like you did without the extra dot of sauce.

Cool to watch, thanks for the video. A lot of new ideas in personal computing started as ghetto mods, don't knock it :D

Cool. Load that cooler up with some gatorade and crank it up! I prefer original lemon lime flavor.

So the optimal method to apply TIM isn't to treat it out like ranch dressing be dumped out at a cracker barrel?

Kyle, was the dimm slots closest to the CPU on each side covered by the water block or maybe it was just the angle of the camera that made it look like that?

So the optimal method to apply TIM isn't to treat it out like ranch dressing be dumped out at a cracker barrel?

You could just use some Nutella and say to hell with it... Nutripper?

The music in this vid is positively groovy

Kyle, was the dimm slots closest to the CPU on each side covered by the water block or maybe it was just the angle of the camera that made it look like that?
Yes, the way this particular block sticks out it does keep you from using those closest slots. But not by much. I could fix that with a grinder quickly. :)

Good for a laugh, thanks. This place has always had character.

"Finding detailed specs has been no easy feat so without measurements in specific gravity or thermal conductivity we will be testing purely on its performance."

fbbsvrz.jpg

You marking wrong points at that print.
It have narrow space for heatsink mounting points on single locking screw side, and Foxconn print specify M3.5 for heatsink mounting.
I'll reuse my Noctua for G34 socket:

View attachment 32721
OK. How would I know where the cooling attaches.....

IMG_20170807_201447.jpg

Now I'm confused, because even your own picture confirming your markings on a print are wrong...

Now I'm confused, because even your own picture confirming your markings on a print are wrong...
You are 100% correct, had it flipped over in my head.

upload_2017-8-7_22-48-30.png

But to my point, which I was trying to make, the drawing does not specify what the thread pitch is for the mounting studs. The m3.5 thread in the picture specifies the threads on the socket retention mechanism.

I removed the incorrect drawing so as not to further confuse anyone.

FYI, first DIMM blocked on Gigabyte motherboard, X399 Aorus Gaming 7 ~89.75mm apart from first DIMM to first DIMM.
On ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme ~110mm apart from DIMM to DIMM.

So one is blocked, one is not.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm surprised existing waterblocks are large enough for ThreadRipper.

Good video!

upload_2017-8-8_22-31-41.png

So, it doesn't matter that you don't have contact out towards the edges?

Well, I guess it depends on where the cores are located underneath.

It's tough to tell, but it does look like they go pretty far out.

$

View attachment 32833

So, it doesn't matter that you don't have contact out towards the edges?

Well, I guess it depends on where the cores are located underneath.

It's tough to tell, but it does look like they go pretty far out.

Heatspreader spreads the heat. As long as total surface area is more than surface area of the two active dies it should be about as good as you can get

Heatspreader spreads the heat. As long as total surface area is more than surface area of the two active dies it should be about as good as you can get

Well, yeah, to a certain extent it should help transfer the heat, but I question how effective that is if the heatsink or waterblock doesn't cover the area immediately above the cores.

It's not like this is some thick slab of copper, or anything like that. It's a relatively thin piece of metal. Aluminum probably?

Last edited:
Yeah, the problem being that you can't buy any blocks that are large enough in time for the review, right? The Chinese company Bykski has showed off some. Not sure if they can be ordered though. They are probably cheap chinese junk, but they might be better than nothing at all.

Another thought could be to sandwich a big chunk of copper, the size of the TR heatspreader, and maybe 1/2" to 3/4" thick in between the CPU and the water block, so that the water block cools the copper chunk, and the copper chunk cools the CPU. It would be less efficient than a properly fitting block, but it might help as an interim solution.
Yep. We will see. I don't have a machine shop or one close that I work with for custom solutions.

EK denied HardOCP a sample since we do not put all its PR spam on our news page giving EK free advertising. So when you guys come asking for EK results, you will need to discuss that with EK.

Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 2:10 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: EK is announcing dedicated AMD® Threadripper Supremacy EVO water blocks

Hello HardNews,
I see that you requested a water block sample for testing, and I see that you are getting the newsletters, but I see no EK news posted on the web page....

And we have sent out quite a few samples for far to close partners and medias, so for now, we are not sending out new samples.

BR,
Atila

adsfdasdsa.jpg

Back