AMD Ryzen Threadripper Coldplate Mounting and Mating @ [H]

i bet someone could use the asetek adapter as a template to make an adapter for a bigger/better square block for better coverage...
how does a regular block line up on it, have you checked?

i bet someone could use the asetek adapter as a template to make an adapter for a bigger/better square block for better coverage...
how does a regular block line up on it, have you checked?
I think I have it all figured out. Will see in the morning. Found some mounts with the right threads from about 7 years ago.

And no. No blocks I had lined up. First thing I checked. I did not want to use the asetek aio if I did not have to and hopefully now I don't.

It's possible that bow is by design. Not sure what the internals of that block look like, but my Raystorm Pro and many other waterblocks I see have noticeable bow made by the jet plate pressing against the bottom. It's not as extreme as it seems to be on yours though, but that could just be sloppy tolerances. Is that surface dome shaped, or arched like a speed bump?

Just remembered the Kryos Vario block from AC that lets you adjust the flatness, or lack of, while mounted so you can tailor it to your IHS surface. Those guys are nuts, gotta love em.

Getting closer, with a bit of prep. Oh, nice flat block...time to clean these microchannels to make sure we are getting the best possible cooling.

IMG_20170807_054339.jpg IMG_20170807_054414.jpg IMG_20170807_054914.jpg

Is that the old damaged GA board or did they send you a fresh victim test board?

Wow, that video was really informative !!! I would never have figured that out on my own ;);)

Thanks Kyle for all the information you have been posting. Not much information out there to help folks get ready to put together a threadripper system. I was concerned when I saw your image of the Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 AIO with the razor blade showing the lack of flatness. After taking a look at a new Corsair H115i it seems this one is a bit flatter. I held a flashlight behind the razor blade to let light through. Not perfect, but perhaps good enough? We'll have to wait and see if it has enough performance to cool the threadripper.
upload_2017-8-7_10-36-51.png

Kyle:

When you discuss the theoretical difficulty about trying to mount an AiO cooler inside of a case, it makes me feel all the better about my CaseLabs purchase. Having a removable motherboard tray makes some of this so much easier...

Have you looked into 3d printing mounting bits Kyle? Just make whatever they don't! LOL

I know, it's a lot of time and effort, not to mention cost, but it could be lucrative. If you have designs, I can print it and ship it to you.

Have you looked into 3d printing mounting bits Kyle? Just make whatever they don't! LOL

I know, it's a lot of time and effort, not to mention cost, but it could be lucrative. If you have designs, I can print it and ship it to you.
I have considered it and have been watching prices of good machines.

I've been considering a new TR system (probably 1950X + Asus Zenith). The last system I built was X99 based ( 5960X + Rampage V Edition 10 ) and it is being cooled via a Swiftech H320-X2 Prestige , to an overclock of 4.5ghz across all cores. It did seem to be a shiny mirror finish and I didn't lap it or anything but just placed a bead of TIM (Prolimatech PK-3) in the center and applied it. Looking at TR, and the TR4 socket without any sense of scale it seems HUGE, but then again Socket 2011-3 heatspreaders are larger than the mainstream as well if I recall.

With this in mind, do you believe that most coolers, notably "custom"/custom-ish waterblocks like my Swiftech, have a large enough contact area to properly cool overclocked Threadripper? I'm sure I'll need a proper mounting adjustment kit etc.. but do you think the blocks themselves made more or less during the Socket 2011-3 / X99 chipset generation are suitable?

EK denied HardOCP a sample since we do not put all its PR spam on our news page giving EK free advertising. So when you guys come asking for EK results, you will need to discuss that with EK.

Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 2:10 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: EK is announcing dedicated AMD® Threadripper Supremacy EVO water blocks

Hello HardNews,
I see that you requested a water block sample for testing, and I see that you are getting the newsletters, but I see no EK news posted on the web page....

And we have sent out quite a few samples for far to close partners and medias, so for now, we are not sending out new samples.

BR,
Atila

adsfdasdsa.jpg

Thanks Kyle for all the information you have been posting. Not much information out there to help folks get ready to put together a threadripper system. I was concerned when I saw your image of the Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 AIO with the razor blade showing the lack of flatness. After taking a look at a new Corsair H115i it seems this one is a bit flatter. I held a flashlight behind the razor blade to let light through. Not perfect, but perhaps good enough? We'll have to wait and see if it has enough performance to cool the threadripper.
View attachment 32634

I was waiting on a cooler too but I had an older corsair h110 laying around and it's flat like a pancake. And the adapter fit it as well. I will probably use this in the meantime while other coolers come out eventually.
IMG_20170817_193855.jpg IMG_20170818_061708.jpg

Back