AMD Ryzen Threadripper 5000 Series "Genesis Peak" Processor Lineup Could Begin with a 16-Core Model

erek

[H]F Junkie
Iratus

"The current generation of Threadripper Castle Peak processors is starting at 24 cores, and going up to 64-core models, so it would be interesting to see where AMD sees the 16-core model in the stack and why it chose to do it. The exact specifications of this processor are unknown, so we have to wait for the announcement event. It is also unknown if the existing TRX40 motherboard will offer support for Zen 3 based Genesis Peak 5000 series Threadripper processors or will AMD introduce a new platform for it."

1609613509967.png

https://www.techpowerup.com/276692/...essor-lineup-could-begin-with-a-16-core-model

At 16 cores I don’t think there would be much of a performance difference between the 5950x and a TR of that same count. Is there even a 16 core 3000 series TR variant? The 3960x starts at 24 core as well, I am eagerly awaiting the availability of the 5970x I need something I can use for production and have enough room to migrate my VM’s to for testing.

At 16 cores I don’t think there would be much of a performance difference between the 5950x and a TR of that same count. Is there even a 16 core 3000 series TR variant? The 3960x starts at 24 core as well, I am eagerly awaiting the availability of the 5970x I need something I can use for production and have enough room to migrate my VM’s to for testing.

Agreed, a 16 core part would more than likely be a be a wash performance wise with the 5950x, but it'd have the additional traditional workstation platform benefits; memory channels, PCIe lanes, expansion options, etc.... I've been eyeballing two 3960x systems for a while, but the parts availability isn't there. At this point it doesn't make sense to purchase something at a premium when it's rumored the new product lineup is going to be announced at CES in ten-ish days. I'm not one of those people who jumps on new stuff as soon as it launches, but rather waits for prices to settle. We have a 3950x and two 7960x machines on hand that aren't exactly long in the tooth. Two threadripper systems would let those three machines consolidate to two, give a decent performance upgrade, and selling off the parts from one extra system would come closer to covering cost of the upgrade.

Agreed, a 16 core part would more than likely be a be a wash performance wise with the 5950x, but it'd have the additional traditional workstation platform benefits; memory channels, PCIe lanes, expansion options, etc.... I've been eyeballing two 3960x systems for a while, but the parts availability isn't there. At this point it doesn't make sense to purchase something at a premium when it's rumored the new product lineup is going to be announced at CES in ten-ish days. I'm not one of those people who jumps on new stuff as soon as it launches, but rather waits for prices to settle. We have a 3950x and two 7960x machines on hand that aren't exactly long in the tooth. Two threadripper systems would let those three machines consolidate to two, give a decent performance upgrade, and selling off the parts from one extra system would come closer to covering cost of the upgrade.
Yeah, I hear you, the lack of AMD’s parts across their entire product stack is annoying and until the initial console rush is done I don’t see it getting any better. If I didn’t know better AMD seems to be trying to put themselves out there as a boutique hardware provider, small batch high expense high profit parts.

AMD’s parts across their entire product stack is annoying and until the initial console rush is done

Not sure it has anything really to do with AMD , I think atleast MS licensed the chip design , and sources production themselves from TSMC or wherever.

I'd be interested in a 16 core threadripper for the PCI-e lanes and expandability if the CPU itself was price competitive with the 5950x. Obviously the platform would the cost tradeoff.

I'd be interested in a 16 core threadripper for the PCI-e lanes and expandability if the CPU itself was price competitive with the 5950x. Obviously the platform would the cost tradeoff.
I'd be very interested if the single core performance can at least be close to 5950x, which I believe it will be.

I'd be very interested if the single core performance can at least be close to 5950x, which I believe it will be.

This is one of the more important things for me as well, in terms of the CPU itself. If the Zen3 TR had equal or better single core performance/overall clocks etc... I'd consider the platform. I'd be very interested to see what kind of new chipset and features they'd for the mobos however, to justify it. For instance, if they were able to put USB4 (w/ Thunderbolt 4 compatibility) at max bandwidth, among other newer features etc... it MAY be a better long term high end buy vs an AM4 X570 board that, despite its strengths, is experiencing its last generation on this socket. Then again, if its basically a redux of TRX40 type features but just happens to have Zen3 TR down to 16 core chips, then it may only be worth it for those who absolutely need certain TR features. Ultimately it will come down to comparable performance to the 5950X across the board, but perhaps even more importantly the motherboard chipset and features included. If the latter isn't a significant step forward, then I am guessing most would be better off with AM4 vs the very significant price increases of the TR mobos (with the Asus Dark Hero being $400-ish, I can imagine that a theoretical Asus ROG Zenith would be at least double that ) plus quad channel RAM necessity means a big expense.

I've been overall a fan of HEDT (owning X58 and X99 systems on the Intel side that have lasted for ages with fantastic performance), but it seems like as of the previous generation of AMD Threadripper they positioned it less for the gaming/streaming general use HEDT and more for the pro-sumer highly threaded workload side damn the expense. Coming back to a 16 core proc on TR would be a step in the opposing direction, but I guess we'll see what they intend with that. Lets hope what is revealed at CES in a few days will give us plenty of info.

I hope they do both - give me the core counts of TR normally (I like my 3960X), but the single-thread performance of Zen3. I'll trade clocks (some) for that. Supposedly, sTRX4 is here to stay for this generation (or so they promised), I guess we'll see.

Gaming - I think they positioned it that was as in general, games haven't been CPU bound in a while - even consumer parts had gotten the core counts necessary, so HEDT really became "I need something more" - for me, it was PCIE lanes for NVMe, and the memory capacities at high speed for VMs.

Oh, and they supposedly left off the 16 core before because you could still buy the 2950X, which didn't have some of the cross-chiplet limitations of the higher core-count TR1, and had the extra lanes. Supposedly. Ish.

Not sure it has anything really to do with AMD , I think atleast MS licensed the chip design , and sources production themselves from TSMC or wherever.
No, AMD supplies them and the Sony ones so their product runs mean that they aren’t making the 5000’s or 6000’s until they have met their quota which they are behind on.

I really hope there is a 16core model.... I don't really need more cores but I need the PCI-e lanes.

To satisfy my curiosity, how is more lanes needed for rendering? For more GPUs?
For me I would like to run 2-4 M.2 drives with dual GPUs and 10GBe or better networking... For 99% of users X570 X490 is perfectly fine.

Are you a 3d Rendering guy?

That's sure why I want more lanes.

More AI/ML/Data Science with some other random vm/container/development tasks.

For me I would like to run 2-4 M.2 drives with dual GPUs and 10GBe or better networking... For 99% of users X570 X490 is perfectly fine.

More AI/ML/Data Science with some other random vm/container/development tasks.

You can do that on x570.

3 nvme drives (1 off cpu, 2 off chipset depends on board) + 1 8x pcie4 gpu + 1 8x pcie4 gpu + 4x slot for 10 gbe ethernet

Yes in some instances you might be chipset to cpu limited and rarely do boards provide 3 nvme 110mm drives (I'm not sure if any do). The platform obviously limits the type of drives you can have.

That said it's sufficient for all but the hard core users. I don't need 10gbe so in my case it's enough for 4 drives or 6 drives if I don't need a second gpu.

Last edited:
You can do that on x570.

3 nvme drives (1 off cpu, 2 off chipset depends on board) + 1 8x pcie4 gpu + 1 8x pcie4 gpu + 4x slot for 10 gbe ethernet

Yes in some instances you might be chipset to cpu limited and rarely do boards provide 3 nvme 110mm drives (I'm not sure if any do). The platform obviously limits the type of drives you can have.

That said it's sufficient for all but the hard core users. I don't need 10gbe so in my case it's enough for 4 drives or 6 drives if I don't need a second gpu.

You're not wrong but it doesn't work out well in my use case.

On X570 you have 36 addressable PCI-e lanes 20 on the CPU and 16 on the chipset. (Don't forget that you lose lanes for CPU -> Chipset) The board makers usually peal off a few lanes for stuff like onboard ethernet, sound, high speed usb as well and other random things they offer.

In my case to run everything at mostly full speed I would need

2 GPU at 8X (Perf hit depending on the GPUs and the task but in all reality manageable I don't really care about the small hit....) = 16 Lanes CPU
4 Storage NVMe = 16 Lanes (If I want full speed)
1 Boot NVMe = 4 Lanes (Yeah I forgot about boot above)
1 10GBe = 8 Lanes (My nics are dual port I only use one so cutting the lanes down to 4X would be fine)

For a total of 42 needed lanes. (38 at 4X for the nic)

On X570 With 2 GPU and 10GBe you end up with 1 NVMe at 4X on the CPU 1 NVMe at 2X on the chipset and 1 NVMe at 1X and at 1X I may as well just pull from network storage over 10GBe.

The above is based on the Asus WS X570-ACE as it was the board that best fit my needs when I was considering an upgrade to X570 but the only real win to X470 over the X470 board I have now is PCI-e gen 4 for meaningful change I need a HEDT system. The board does give 4 lanes to an U.2 port which could be used for the 4th NVMe drive and I could boot from SATA. This also leaves exactly 0 room for expansion with a bunch of compromises.

Like you said and I said above for 99% of people X570 is fine but HEDT exists for a reason and my use cases are moving into that last 1%. But this particular box doesn't run windows and doesn't play games its a true workstation. I've made due with enthusist grade gear for a lot of years now. But its time to either move to HEDT, setup multiple machines instead of one to rule them all or get a server to shove all the hardware into to do the computation. I have options and honestly I probably won't buy anything until Spring/Summer when prices have hopefully stabilized.

lol thanks for the tag Erek, my watching/commenting of TR news clearly paid off with personal service.

Given the 16 core pro’s it does make sense but no way it won’t have the 24/32/64 variants. Would be interesting to get 5950x clock speeds (or even a bit higher) on a TR platform. Would be like the old HEDT days. Stupid money for the ‘best’

I’m just waiting to see timing. If its
q1 I’ll get a 24 or 32. If not, really need to finish my build 😂

I want whatever the 32/64 core variant takes so I can have it double as an OH SHIT backup server in the event the primary and secondaries both fail as it would not be in the rack and not on the same electrical circuit on its own UPS set in a completely different part of the building. The fact it would make a badass workstation in the mean time is an added bonus.

Back