AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3980X 48 Core, 96 Thread CPU Reportedly Spotted in CPU-Z Support List

kac77

2[H]4U
After using 24 Zen 2 cores in my 3960x, I can't imagine personally having any need for more right now. These things are so fast already. If you get one you better justify it other wise your wasting hard earned. The 48 and 64 are truly creator chips but not so much video work, more rendering and 3d modeling etc...

I agree then exchange rates in Canada dont make it cheap. Looking at 3960x myself down the road have intel 10 core (x99) for moment.

It will be interesting how well the extreme core count TRs will sell. Seems like the previous 32 core TR with all of its problems sold well. Plus we get to see if 4 channel memory hinder the 64 core beast unless the TRX80 rumored 8 channel chipset is needed with more motherboards inbound. Sometimes too much of a good thing becomes not so good.

Well, next thing we need to know are the price of the 3980X and 3990X.

After using 24 Zen 2 cores in my 3960x, I can't imagine personally having any need for more right now. These things are so fast already. If you get one you better justify it other wise your wasting hard earned. The 48 and 64 are truly creator chips but not so much video work, more rendering and 3d modeling etc...
A 3990X is expected 2.5x more powerful. Not sure Video doesn't scale as well as 3d rendering. If you're looking for 4K and plenty of filters, I'm not sure this is so fast, you won't bother.
However I'm saving money by staying at AM4 level for now (just replaced my last PCs based on Intel). Need some serious 3D rendering speed for buildings as fast as possible but very little tweaks can speed up the rendering that I finish on Photoshop (2D). May go for 1 PC with a TR + 4 graphics cards when Ampere or RDNA 2 AMD GPU are on sale.

A 3990X is expected 2.5x more powerful. Not sure Video doesn't scale as well as 3d rendering. If you're looking for 4K and plenty of filters, I'm not sure this is so fast, you won't bother.
However I'm saving money by staying at AM4 level for now (just replaced my last PCs based on Intel). Need some serious 3D rendering speed for buildings as fast as possible but very little tweaks can speed up the rendering that I finish on Photoshop (2D). May go for 1 PC with a TR + 4 graphics cards when Ampere or RDNA 2 AMD GPU are on sale.

In all honesty a 2080ti will run circles around even a 128 thread cpu. I would honestly consider for a blender user stick with a 3950x and a 2080ti or two. For video there is no benefit in faster than a 3950x in Resolve if your using a card like a 2080ti or Radeon VII for 4k 30fps. 4k 60 and 5/8k a Threadrippers needed for top tier.

I'd say your justified. Unless your rendering is putting food on your table focus on your GPU stack more than your cpu. There are some home studios on youtube that put out high quality rendered content that monetize and make money. That's a good example of getting a 48 or 64 imo. Not me who makes content for my family and friends.

Now... this is not [H]. I know. Thus, if you're [H] you get a 64 because you're badass haha

Last edited:
Back