AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990X Rumors

I can see them eliminating either the 8 or 12 core SKU. Just seems like too many products. Most people bought the 16 core part anyway.

Just speculation though. I wonder if people are still interested in the 8 core part. Time will tell.

there's no reason to get rid of the sku's. it doesn't really effect anything to produce them since it's just disabling cores on the base 16 core sku. there's plenty room to do it given there isn't a am4 2800x.. have the 8 core TR4 one be the 2800x, 12 core 2850, 16 core 2900, 24 core 2950, 32 core 2990.

not everyone needs core count for what they're doing but might instead need the performance available from quad channel ddr4. thus things like the 8 and 12 are better options for them at the lower price point.

8+ threads, I don't know exactly but it loads up everything on my 2600k and I have seen the devs post they're using 7 on consoles.

Interesting.

I just loaded up ESO and tabed out to the resource monitor. Only one of my cores is being put to any kind of real load, all 16 however are showing the same peaks and valleys as ESO runs.

It occurred to me that if they can put something like the 1950x in the PS5 or the next Xbox - as these new monster chips drive the prices down on the previous gen chips — just think what the next round of console games will be like!!!
The more cores they use the better. Not just for consoles, but for game developers deciding its worthwhile to code for large core counts. That future can't come soon enough.

The thought of realtime strategy games someday utilizing 32 cores... A lofty dream, but I'll be patient.

Soon we'll have more cores than NPCs (civs etc..). I'm oversimplifying things, but just imagine individual NPCs/empires/civs/etc.. having a couple of cores completely at their disposal.

Someone get me a time machine.

Last edited:
I love the idea of just putting kvm on, have an 8 core 32gb windows 10 machine with a 1080ti on pass through... And then I've still got 75% of system resources available.

No way I'm not doing that for a laugh.

I imagine there will be an 8, 12, 16, 24 and 32 core variant of Threadripper 2.

2800X - 8 core with crazy-high all-core boost speeds

2850X - 12 core with higher clock speeds than the original 1920X

2900X - 16 core with higher clock speeds than the original 1950X

2950X - 24 core

2990X - 32 core

2000181595442258214.jpg

I was thinking that the blurred score would be AM4 Ryzen 2 2800x with a higher TDP of 140 Watt?

The more cores they use the better. Not just for consoles, but for game developers deciding its worthwhile to code for large core counts. That future can't come soon enough.

The thought of realtime strategy games someday utilizing 32 cores... A lofty dream, but I'll be patient.

Soon we'll have more cores than NPCs (civs etc..). I'm oversimplifying things, but just imagine individual NPCs/empires/civs/etc.. having a couple of cores completely at their disposal.

Someone get me a time machine.

Just thing if supreme commander 1 was 64 bit how many units you could have on a single maps since all the unit calculations we're CPU bound.. you usually hit the 2gb cap before reaching 1000 units.

The 8 or 12 core would be interesting to me but I dont really feel the need for an upgrade since I havent been playing anything demanding for the past 1.5 to 2 years I may just hold out for ryzen 2.

I think that is the beauty of module design instead of a single die. easier to dissipate heat and you literally get scaling close to other ryzen chips. Pretty damn impressive. They nailed it with infinity fabric though. I mean I am amazed at the job they have been doing with shitty budget compared to intel!

I think you have it right. we really are hitting the wall on scaling for TDP using a single die, the thermal load is just too concentrated for air past a certain level.

Not something I have ever experimented with, but how effective are peltier coolers these days? can a die sized cooler even handle a 250W thermal load?

Not something I have ever experimented with, but how effective are peltier coolers these days? can a die sized cooler even handle a 250W thermal load?

If the peltier cooler were integrated and sealed inside of a waterblock, and also were set to not cool too far below ambient in order to prevent condensation buildup...

[the overall answer is, 'they're as effective as you need them to be', but the issue isn't the ability to produce a peltier cooler that can handle a 250W or any other load, it's integrating it into a system while mitigating the other issues]

I don't believe we'll see an AM4 2800X, it will most likely be a TR4 chip.
Agree. Given that the CPU right below it is the 10c 7900X, my guess is that is TR2 12c. Probably at just over half price of the Intel. $599? Perhaps if AMD is really aggressive, $499?

There's no way it's a high TDP 2800X. AMDs 8c competes nicely with Intels 6c/8c depending on task, but not a chance with this generation an 8c AMD is suddenly overtaking a 10c Intel. Unless it's an unfair comparison. I'm hoping it's a different story with Zen 2.

I imagine there will be an 8, 12, 16, 24 and 32 core variant of Threadripper 2.

2800X - 8 core with crazy-high all-core boost speeds

2850X - 12 core with higher clock speeds than the original 1920X

2900X - 16 core with higher clock speeds than the original 1950X

2950X - 24 core

2990X - 32 core
I bet we only see the 8c TR2 if yields are worse than desired (lots of near worthless dies sitting around) or AMD needs to fill a price segment to justify and support moving the 24/32c TR2s towards Intel HEDT pricing.

Edit: My money is on the later. TR1 was an easy shot across Intel's HEDT bow. TR2 needs to extend that leverage and move upscale in pricing to position TR3 (Zen 2) to lead the HEDT segment. A $1499 48c TR3 or $1999 64c TR3 would be spectacular and Intel scaling out ECC dies to 42c won't be enough; too much heat, too few clocks.

TR1: Bring HEDT value compared to Intel, force a moderately difficult decision about HCC dies.
TR2: Leverage architecture advantages and force Intel to make a really hard decision about using ECC dies.
TR3: Exploit architecture advantages given ECC can't scale out like Zen and Intel won't have an answer until Ice Lake at best. Core's done, what's next?

Last edited:
Reactions: N4CR
like this
250 watts can be cooled just fine with a single 120MM RAD AIO --- no need for a peltier.
My pair of Fury X worked just fine under 100% load with their built in 120MM AIOs. It would heat up my basement with my pair while mining crypto, but the cards themselves didn't have a problem with heat.

2 sources:

HardOCP
https://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/06/24/amd_radeon_r9_fury_x_video_card_review/10

upload_2018-6-20_13-17-25.png

upload_2018-6-20_13-17-57.png

upload_2018-6-20_13-18-13.png

Tomshardware:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-r9-fury-x,4196-7.html

upload_2018-6-20_13-10-17.png

But even - so the single 120MM Rad would keep it under control --- 64* at 347 Watts stress testing.

upload_2018-6-20_13-12-31.png

So, I was talking to a major board maker today and they did inform me that we would see new X399 motherboards built with beefier power supply components. Do not expect edge of the envelope overclocking on current X399 boards with a 32-core 2990X CPU.

One of my deployment targets involves doing a LZMA2 compress of really big collections, and I hate waiting for it.

I think of running it through one of these, and I haven't looked to verify, but I suspect I look like Cruella DeVille cackling with glee.

It's possibly an overclocked 8-core Coffee Lake.

Its probably a 7820x. Only 8 core on that level I can think of unless it's a new CoffeeLake S 8 core then that puts it on par with a 2700x.

Last edited:
One of my deployment targets involves doing a LZMA2 compress of really big collections, and I hate waiting for it.

I think of running it through one of these, and I haven't looked to verify, but I suspect I look like Cruella DeVille cackling with glee.

That's definitely a legitimate usage scenario. I have about 12 TB of video data I need to convert to h265 and dont like using my 1080ti because it's a little lossy where as a CPU is a little cleaner. I want quality over quantity. Was thinking the 32 core would highly accelerate the process using staxrip.

So what do you guys intend to use 32 cores for?

Also, do you need a special version of Windows 10 with that many cores? Isn't there a "core limit"?

I can see them eliminating either the 8 or 12 core SKU. Just seems like too many products.
In the PCWorld Interview, AMD said that they were not going to retire all Threadripper SKUs, similar how some Ryzen 1000 series continue to be sold.

For the 1900X, the target group are users who want many PCIe lanes and do not need the raw CPU processing power. Updating it to TR2 would therefore make little sense. I think AMD will not introduce a 2900X 8-core, but instead continue selling the 1900X as long as there is demand.

In the PCWorld Interview, AMD said that they were not going to retire all Threadripper SKUs, similar how some Ryzen 1000 series continue to be sold.

For the 1900X, the target group are users who want many PCIe lanes and do not need the raw CPU processing power. Updating it to TR2 would therefore make little sense. I think AMD will not introduce a 2900X 8-core, but instead continue selling the 1900X as long as there is demand.
I think AMD is about to have the most complete consumer CPU product stack we have ever seen from any company.

Ray-traced minesweeper at 16K, let's go!

Hell, throw in a couple Chome browser tabs too w/ background processes running.

JFC...my Megahalems with dual 140mm push/pull won't even come close to being enough.

32 cores / 64 threads? *sigh*

In a former life I used to be a database programmer / database analyst. We were the Wonks of the Machine Room, the peerless conclave, we were the guys who actually touched the metal that ran the university and portions of the state records system. You had to be nice to us, because we did your payroll.

And it was brainy work, too, you had to be smart and meticulous because mistakes could generate million dollar lawsuits. We had personal budgets and private offices so we could do our work in peace. All of us were the top 1% of computer savvy.

And our computers were ... hand-me-downs. Sometimes even from secretaries. Hell, I bet the janitors had better computers than we did. Our computers were crap. Because you didn't need a big computer to be a programmer on a server farm, and our boss knew it. And you especially don't need a big computer if your auditors are Deloitte and Touche and they require you to compile, test and analyze your work on the backup server farm, because you're dealing with sensitive information that can't be downloaded.

The college students who worked for the Help Desk had better computers than we did. Hell, the five-year-old computers in the Student Lab system were better computers than we had. One of my co-workers told me they just got 'new' computers because of the Spectre / Meltdown bug - think about that, his computer was so old Intel said they wouldn't support it.

P.S. We had the nicest monitors, though. And $900 chairs, none of us sat in a chair from Staples. I've never understood that, we can have a $900 chair and a $2000 monitor, but we couldn't have a $600 computer.

Except...single core :ROFLMAO:
I disagree. They are overtaking Intel fast. Zen 2 will more than likely surpass intel especially since the latest fab process debacle and firing errr.. stand down of their failed CEO have set them back quite a bit. AMDs CEO Su is doing a rock solid job and she's in it to win it.

I disagree. They are overtaking Intel fast. Zen 2 will more than likely surpass intel especially since the latest fab process debacle and firing errr.. stand down of their failed CEO have set them back quite a bit. AMDs CEO Su is doing a rock solid job and she's in it to win it.
I think you missed it...there aren't any single core CPUS they are offering :)

(Edit: I see your joke :p)

Yeah I think AMD's ryzen single threaded performance will be fine in the long run.

The only thing that ocassional does worry me is the added CCX to CCX latency. Its kinda hard to measure the impact of that one.

On the other hand, eventually we will see 6 or 8 core CCX modules. So that may negate the majority of it's latency concerns for mainstream workloads.

By surpass I'm sure you mean in affordability, performance/watt, etc. right? Let's say the first generation of Zen 2 on 7nm gets a healthy clock boost over "12nm" and overclocks to 4.5-4.6 GHz air and 4.7 GHz for better chips under liquid cooling. There's still plenty of consumers out there that will buy the Intel offerings because of benchmarks where it gets 183 FPS versus the 147 FPS of the Zen 2 3700X. There's also corner cases like say emulation of semi-recent consoles where every last bit of clockspeed and IPC counts and it's entirely OK to recommend Intel to those users.

It's also a real big case of most of us being hyperfocused on the performance desktop market while what AMD probably needs more of is sales of Ryzen Pro APU based laptops en masse to companies. They've been offering "Pro" versions of their chips for generations but outside of these circles how much do you hear about them? How many have you seen circulating in the used market?

By surpass I'm sure you mean in affordability, performance/watt, etc. right? Let's say the first generation of Zen 2 on 7nm gets a healthy clock boost over "12nm" and overclocks to 4.5-4.6 GHz air and 4.7 GHz for better chips under liquid cooling. There's still plenty of consumers out there that will buy the Intel offerings because of benchmarks where it gets 183 FPS versus the 147 FPS of the Zen 2 3700X. There's also corner cases like say emulation of semi-recent consoles where every last bit of clockspeed and IPC counts and it's entirely OK to recommend Intel to those users.

It's also a real big case of most of us being hyperfocused on the performance desktop market while what AMD probably needs more of is sales of Ryzen Pro APU based laptops en masse to companies. They've been offering "Pro" versions of their chips for generations but outside of these circles how much do you hear about them? How many have you seen circulating in the used market?

When I mean surpass I mean surpass Intel in the single threaded performance department as in IPC! Maybe not Zen 2 but we still have 3 and 4 etc.... they are catching up and Intel hasn't evolved in IPC since shit... some say Skylake but I will go truly a gen before that.

When I mean surpass I mean surpass Intel in the single threaded performance department as in IPC! Maybe not Zen 2 but we still have 3 and 4 etc.... they are catching up and Intel hasn't evolved in IPC since shit... some say Skylake but I will go truly a gen before that.

That Intel has largely 'stood still' in terms of IPC because they've had trouble with their 10nm process; based on previous performance, we should expect a jump in IPC once they get that figured out.

Also based on previous performance, I do not expect AMD to surpass Intel in either clockspeed or IPC (or overall architecture efficiency).

Yes PhaseNoise, I agree things are topping out but with the Fabrication Process lead for Intel slipping by - see AMD moving ahead slightly.

Yes PhaseNoise, I agree things are topping out but with the Fabrication Process lead for Intel slipping by - see AMD moving ahead slightly.

That's the thing: Intel is ahead of AMD now, with an architecture that was planned to have been retired at this point and replaced with something faster. This means that AMD has an opening, but if this is more of a 'bump' for Intel than a trend (which history would suggest), then AMD is going to have to work extremely hard to refine their architecture to 'surpass' Intel. Third-party process improvements alone will not get AMD there.

Back