AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX & 2950X Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Last edited:
Can't get it to pull up. Getting "connection reset" errors in Chrome

It pulls up fine in Edge.

Anyway, I'm a bit disappointed in Ashes of Singularity as well as Premiere. I was hoping to use this as an Adobe machine. Hopefully though most games won't take too hard of a hit.

Works fine in chrome as well.

Not too surprised about AME though, in my experience the GPU makes all the difference.

And all of them are sold out instantly. Wonder if these will be impossible to get for the first few months...

So you guys going down this path, are you using these as server boxes running unique VM's...turning one box into several, one instance doing one thing on your lan, another VM doing...another thing, etc. Just curious what you ultra-high core guys are doing with this much horsepower, not to critique, generally interested.......

So you guys going down this path, are you using these as server boxes running unique VM's...turning one box into several, one instance doing one thing on your lan, another VM doing...another thing, etc. Just curious what you ultra-high core guys are doing with this much horsepower, not to critique, generally interested.......
I'm going to be getting a 2950X for my Streaming/Gaming machine. Being able to game very effectively, while encoding my stream @ slowest presets (allowing for the best quality) will be huge for me.

Currently sporting a 1700 OCed to 3.7Ghz. I'm able to do the slowest preset with my setup and game rather nicely but I do run at close to 85-90% CPU utilization during my streams. If I could drop that down to 70% utilization while getting a higher clock speed, that'd be great!

Any chance you could produce Passmark CPU scores for the new CPUs?
Wow, have not thought about that benchmark for a decade. You are lucky it runs in about a minute. :)

2950X-PB2/3400
upload_2018-8-13_10-5-51.png

2950X-4.2/3400
upload_2018-8-13_10-6-24.png

Looking at having a workstation type setup for home doing a lot of heavy VM work while also still being good for casual gaming. Would be nice for wfh (I'm in enterprise software support)

I would really like to see some crazy VM builds using the 2990wx and several graphics cards.

A certain YouTube personality did 7 games, 1 cpu (actually a 2 socket xeon). Something similar could be done with this and cost far less. However, I wonder if half of the gamers would get screwed over since they would be getting the cores that are not directly connected to the memory, meaning that fps would be a lot worse for them.

Damn, that sucks about that MSI board. I hate that feeling you get when you swap something out that is simple and it wont post. I will be waiting to see how that fairs.

That 2950X is the sweet spot for me.

Great review, its kind of disappointing that they still need to work on scheduling on 32T+ but it doesnt really bother me too much. The heat, however, makes me really think about the cooling and power needed and whether building a SFF system for a 2990wx is possible if I want all the performance I can get out of it.

Run ray traced quake. Also ultimate battle simulator. Not actually sure they will take full use of cores though.

Interesting thought, 32c vs 64 thread. Does it increase the difference vs 1950x with the memory setup for that many cores/threads?

And how do they do on XMR/7/Heavy per core?

Back