AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X Smashes 5.2GHz Barrier On LN2

https://hothardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-smashes-52ghz-barrier-on-ln2

This makes me kind of curious if the original Asus rumor was at all accurate.

http://wccftech.com/asus-teases-5ghz-overclocks-amds-ryzen-threadripper-cpus/

Do you think the way TR is constructed that it would really OC that much better than Ryzen? If TR was even capable of getting to 4.5ghz on an AIO it would be a game changer.
Seems that there is a process wall not a heat one, like with previous chips. A point where no amount of voltage will make it stable and heat doesn't seem to be the limiting factor.

First a pedant remark, it is "AMD Threadripper", not "AMD Ryzen Threadripper".

Now the answer to your question is a sound "no", because:

(i) Threadripper uses same silicon than RyZen. One can expect small variations from process node maturity or binning, but not something radically different.

(ii) Official specs. AMD gives 4.0GHz as one-core turbo and 4.2GHz as XFR. This is same normal turbo than RyZen (1800X, 1600X) and only 2% higher XFR.

(iii) The Ryzen 1800X achieves those clocks and higher on LN2. Current record is 5.8GHz.

(ii) Official specs. AMD gives 4.0GHz as one-core turbo and 4.2GHz as XFR. This is same normal turbo than RyZen (1800X, 1600X) and only 2% higher XFR.

Wrong. It doesn't say anywhere that its gonna be 1-core boost. And we know that Ryzen boosts 2 cores to max XFR.

AMD-Ryzen-Press-Deck-clean-9-870x489.jpg

AMD-vs-Intel-boost-clock-speeds-across-cores-870x435.png

I'm more inclined to believe its gonna be 4-core turbo at 4.2Ghz with Threadripper because 2-dies. Epyc is max boosting with 12 cores.

oh really? whats it say there on the chip?

and on the packaging

ps: wtf is a pedant remark anyways? gonna hang that shit around your neck?!
edit: oops read that as pendant and was like wtf?!

Last edited:
oh really? whats it say there on the chip?

I stand corrected.

I barely remember AMD's James Prior stating that the new chips wouldn't be named RyZen, but I checked it now and he really said chip wouldn't be named "RyZen 9", not that wouldn't have RyZen in the name.

Wrong. It doesn't say anywhere that its gonna be 1-core boost. And we know that Ryzen boosts 2 cores to max XFR.

AMD-Ryzen-Press-Deck-clean-9-870x489.jpg

AMD-vs-Intel-boost-clock-speeds-across-cores-870x435.png

I'm more inclined to believe its gonna be 4-core turbo at 4.2Ghz with Threadripper because 2-dies. Epyc is max boosting with 12 cores.

Your first graph shows that max non-XFR turbo on the 1800X is 4.0GHz. Your second graph shows that clocks are the same for two cores active than for one core active, but if you want explicit textual confirmation that one-core turbos for the 1800X are 4.0GHz and 4.1GHz (normal and XFR respectively) check the "CPU Clock Speed Breakdown" table here

http://www.overclockers.com/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-cpu-review/

Therefore what I said about the 1800X and the 1600X is correct: 4.0GHz is the normal one-core turbo and 4.1GHz is the XFR one-core turbo on both. However you make an interesting remark about Threadripper. I am assuming that 4.0GHz is the normal one-core turbo for the whole package, but I cannot rule out your hypothesis that it could be a normal one-core turbo for each die.

Back