AMD Ryzen Prices Revealed: Massive Blow to Intel

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
What if I told you that a Ryzen CPU might cost up to 70% cheaper than its Intel equivalent? Well, if these prices are true, you may have to believe it. Let’s be specific: the Ryzen 7 1700 is being listed with a cost of $317. Being that it has 8 cores and 16 threads, that would make it comparable to Intel's Core i7-6900K—which is $1,049. Wake me up! What do you think the foot traffic sounds like right now at Intel?

With just a matter of weeks before AMD's highly-anticipated Ryzen CPUs are expected to hit shelves, it was only a matter of time before we got our first glimpse of the company's pricing structure. In short, Intel should be very, very worried. Several websites have been pointing at online store www.shopblt.com, which has apparently leaked three AMD Ryzen SKUs all in the 7-series - the Ryzen 7 1800X, 1700X and 1700. Incredibly, the Ryzen 7 1700 is posted as costing just $317. This is hugely significant as according to a previous leak that supposedly revealed the entire AMD Ryzen range, this CPU will have 8 cores and 16 threads. This is the same as Intel's Core i7-6900K, which retails right now for $1,049. This means that the AMD chip is a whopping 70% cheaper.

Last edited:
Doubt it. Would LOVE it to be true....But this is not AMD releasing prices, it is some random retailer with a page up that has a price that may or may not reflect actual MSRP. Assuming it really is a 8 core part as well.

If true, and in the wild results hold, props to AMD for putting out a hell of a bargain.

Would be nice, if true. That would likely lead to cost effective 6c/12t and 8c/16t options finally being available on Intel's mainstream platform (Zxxx), instead of just on their enthusiast platform (Xxxx).

Caution... This is a leak from a random retail site. Claiming that this as-yet-untested CPU is equal to an $1,100 Intel CPU is easy. Show me the [H] and Anand benchmarks and I'll believe you...
Some caution yes, but according to article:

if the prices are true, which www.wccftech.com seems to think so given the same web shop leaked prices for older AMD CPUs, which it claims turned out to be spot on

Shit. If these are accurate and benches look good I know how my tax return is getting spent.

Well if the prices are accurate and the performance is on par to the i7-6900k then AMD has a real winner on their hands. I will of course wait and see the real numbers first. Please don't mess this up AMD I'd really like to buy an AMD CPU for my next rig.

I see a lot of negativity surrounding these leaked prices. Lots of people upset from being ripped off the past 3-5 years. hah

How can you be "ripped off" when you KNOWINGLY and WILLINGLY bought it and all relevant facts were available to you.

----

side note...if you think Intel doesn't what AMD's pricing plan is...I got a bridge on the moon to sell you.

The rumor I saw had the top chip listed for 599 pounds in British currency.

I'm going to remain skeptical until I see some real benchmarks. I *really* want this to be a winner because we need competition, even if the prices are the same as Intel. But something is bugging me about the fact they are being so cagey. There are both good reasons and bad reasons for them to hold their cards close to their vest until after release, and I can't help but think if this was really so awesome they would be doing more to show it off than they have been.

I'm going to remain skeptical until I see some real benchmarks. I *really* want this to be a winner because we need competition, even if the prices are the same as Intel. But something is bugging me about the fact they are being so cagey. There are both good reasons and bad reasons for them to hold their cards close to their vest until after release, and I can't help but think if this was really so awesome they would be doing more to show it off than they have been.

I'm hoping that the reason they are handling marketing the way they are is because they don't want to repeat the Bulldozer launch where they over-promised and under-delivered. If they deliver what they promise this time around, then we'll have some nice alternatives to Intel CPUs at various price points. It doesn't matter to me if they do not outperform Intel as long as they are in the same league. Right now it is like a Triple A club playing a Major League team - they're good enough to compete at the lower level of talent, but they don't have any upside.

Caution... This is a leak from a random retail site. Claiming that this as-yet-untested CPU is equal to an $1,100 Intel CPU is easy. Show me the [H] and Anand benchmarks and I'll believe you...
Agreed. One thing that has been missing from this hype train is single core performance, which would make or break the deal.

Reminds me of bulldozer

You wouldn't believe the amount of complaints I seen with people running Bulldozer chips on various Steam games over the years.
Cores don't mean nothing if the performance isn't there. I used to own a 6100 6300 and 8350 FX they all were lacking in Power for various games. Then again you you will probably get people on a Placebo whenever a new AMD chip comes out and says WOW this is fast on New Egg review when most of the stuff is done with a GPU anyway. Then the Hype meter alone might take away from Intel sales even though the performance might not be there.

As I literally just bought a 7700k a couple weeks ago I hope to god they suck.

Waiting on benchmarks like everyone else... but damnit. I want some vega news or something.

the Ryzen 7 1700 is being listed with a cost of $317. Being that it has 8 cores and 16 threads, that would make it comparable to Intel's Core i7-6900K—which is $1,049. Wake me up!

Slow down. All depends on core vs core performance. AMD is guilty of putting out high core count chips with underperforming babycores before.

AMD core =/= Intel core

Without any data to backup the product, the price is irrelevant.

A bag of shit is still a bag of shit no matter how much or how little you charge for it.

I hope the chips aren't turds. Competition is a good thing.

Back