AMD RYZEN Preview Kit Unboxing video.

Thanks for making a video. Very cool. I think I might be getting the same Gigabyte motherboard too.

Also, nice little doggy, don't forget to take her for a walk before you get too busy.

Thanks for making a video. Very cool. I think I might be getting the same Gigabyte motherboard too.

Also, nice little doggy, don't forget to take her for a walk before you get too busy.

Thanks!

She gets plenty of play. Her brother was sleeping during the video otherwise you would of saw him too. Same color about 5 pounds larger.

New computer electronics scent, I love it more than new car smell!

Awesome dog cameo. :happy:

Reactions: Elmy
like this
Nice, watched that video real quick. Cool to see AMD sending out the same cooler I'm using for the press samples, must mean its good enough.

like this
it looks like the kits have variable mobos. I saw another kit unboxing that had a msi titanium board in it and another with an asus hero. most have been the aorus and everything else was the same.

Nice video!

Anything in the Ryzen box itself? Seems kinda wide for just a processor.

(1) Absolutely NO FLAMING, NAME CALLING OR PERSONAL ATTACKS, NO TROLLING. Mutual respect and civilized conversation is the required norm.

For those of you curious whats in the wood box. I made a video.

Enjoy.

Elmy

Hi Elmy,

I hope you are having a nice day and everything is going well with you.

It's very disappointing that you didn't take any ESD precautions while handling that board while seated on a leather couch, on nylon carpet, probably wearing gym shoes.

You may or may not be aware, but ESD can damage electronics components even while handling boards by hand. And your video was shot in a high static environment.

This can damage the board in ways that might not be seen until the board is stressed, aged, or subjected to thermal stress. In short you do your viewers a disservice by handling a board like that- they may mimic you and damage their own equipment.

There are ESD standards that can be followed- though they are too expensive for a hobbyist. However, you can very easily acquire a grounded pad and static wrist strap which can mitigate the risk.

It's like this: You might not catch a disease by having sex without a condom.... but why do it when you can use precautions?

Get a basic ground system going for $22.50. Then you can make a video about the dangers of ESD- everyone will think you a hero.

Keep up the good work.... I'm your biggest fan!

I used to use static wrist straps but I read your can just touch a piece of metal (like on the case) and that will eliminate the static. So far I haven't had a problem.

EDIT: OK, I did some more research and it looks like touching metal helps but is not enough. Just spent $2,500 on my Ryzen build, what's another $7 for peace of mind?

Last edited:
Exciting indeed! Great video and that does look like a very good kit. Same ram I use in my I7 rig and my daughters I5 rig (same motherboard). On earlier Gigabyte bios, it was funky with ram timings and had it at ~3400mhz :LOL: with XMP profile, of course system was not stable but it would boot run stuff and crash later. Anyways Gigabyte bios kept getting better and better as time went on and is really good now (GA-Z170N-Gaming 5), with ram at the right speed of 3000 for the last two official bios.

like this
Converting the box to a functional PC chassis would be the way to go…?

I am actually thinking about it. Going to look at it real strong today.

I see the included hardware in the box chassis (of course), with a flat-panel monitor mounted to the inside of the lid, a SFX PSU (if not a Pico-style G-Unique unit with the power brick either just stored in the box or actually mounted in the box), a swing out 240 radiator on the CPU, and space for a 60% mechanical keyboard & gaming mouse; the ultimate literal LAN Box, with included carry handle…!

If you mounted the MB inboard, with clearance to connect the appropriate cables to the MB/GPU(s), and went with the G-Unique PSU & stored the power brick in the box when not in use, you could probably no have to have any cutouts of the box itself, so when closed it would not look like a PC at all…!

If you were to contact AMD about such a project, you could possibly get them to sponsor it (they are already sending you hardware)…?!? Free CrossFired Vega GPUs at least…?

Now, if you DO this project as outlined (Super Stealth LAN Box), and do manage to score some free sponsor shipped swag from AMD (looking at those as yet un announced mystery Vega GPUs), try for a third ITX-sized GPU & send that my way…! ;^p

Last edited:
like this
Elmy, does the CPU come with a new type of case sticker compared to the old AMD one you saw with the AM3+ stuff?

Wondering because I don't usually use them but this time I have a clever place to put them and if it looks cool I might actually do it.

Back