AMD Ryzen 9 Threadripper Lineup Leaked

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Specifications have leaked for what some think could be the most powerful desktop CPUs ever made. Could AMD’s new Threadripper lineup beat Intel’s Core i9? Possibly, if these numbers are closer to fact than fiction. The flagship chip will be the Ryzen 9 1998X, featuring 16 cores, 32 threads, and a base clock speed of 3.5GHz. Thanks for passing this along, SPARTAN VI.

AMD’s entire Ryzen 9 Threadripper CPU lineup has been leaked, featuring 16, 14, 12 and 10 core parts with clock speeds of up to 4.1GHz. The company’s brand-new enthusiast CPU lineup is set to launch this June and bring the company’s outstanding Zen architecture to the high-end desktop. The Ryzen 9 lineup, code named Threadripper, will be compatible with a modified version of the company’s SP3 socket, code named SP3r2, which was originally designed for AMD’s 32 core Naples server parts. The new high-end desktop platform is code named “Whitehaven” and brings support for quad channel DDR4 memory support and 44 PCIe lanes to hardware enthusiasts, content creators and developers.

How many months ago was it that all we really had was 4-core CPUs?

Its seems like AMD can just keep using their infinity tape to keep adding cores to stay ahead of intel in core count. Intel's design is limited in that regard.

Last edited:
Now we just have to pray there are some decent motherboards to go with these beasts.
How many months ago was it that all we really had was 4-core CPUs?

Its seems like AMD can just keep using their infinity tape to keep adding cores to stay ahead of intel in core count. Intel's design is limited in that regard.
AMD has had hexacores for nearly a decade, octocores for 5 years. It's only been a few years since well scaled multithreading has become more of a concern, at least in the gaming market. Four cores has been more than enough for quite awhile.

Now we just have to pray there are some decent motherboards to go with these beasts.

AMD has had hexacores for nearly a decade, octocores for 5 years. It's only been a few years since well scaled multithreading has become more of a concern, at least in the gaming market. Four cores has been more than enough for quite awhile.
AMD's previous cores were garbage IPC without a need to take them seriously. The lack of multithreaded games is a chicken and egg problem in that Intel never gave us affordable options for more than 4 core. They basically decreed that 4-cores was enough and developers just delt with what they had.

Now they have far more, and API's like Vulkan to do it with. Pretty sure we are going to see how hamstrung we actually were within the next few years as those resources get exercised.

I'm guessing they will price it to match Intel's previous top dog, the 6950x's price of ~1500$.

Theoretically the CCX cores scale way cheaper than Intel's big core count chips so I would imagine they can undercut quite a bit.

AMD's previous cores were garbage IPC without a need to take them seriously. The lack of multithreaded games is a chicken and egg problem in that Intel never gave us affordable options for more than 4 core. They basically decreed that 4-cores was enough and developers just delt with what they had.

Now they have far more, and API's like Vulkan to do it with. Pretty sure we are going to see how hamstrung we actually were within the next few years as those resources get exercised.
The 5820k was pretty affordable.

Takes this large of a chip to finally get to quad channel memory. It's a double edged sword I guess, the plus being that Naples will be octo-channeled which is VERRRRRY nice.

Takes this large of a chip to finally get to quad channel memory. It's a double edged sword I guess, the plus being that Naples will be octo-channeled which is VERRRRRY nice.

I've seen pretty much nothing that shows big differences in dual vs. Quad in consumer level workloads. Saving it for the workstation chips makes sense to me.

In response to announced the the new MOARCOARS™ processors AMD launches the MOOOOAAAAAARCOOOOAAAAARSSSS™ line up.

This is getting like the "where can we put more cheese on our pizza" war.

I've seen pretty much nothing that shows big differences in dual vs. Quad in consumer level workloads. Saving it for the workstation chips makes sense to me.

I understand it's not something that doubles performance or anything, going from dual to quad. But with all the discussion about Ryzen owners trying to get as high a RAM speed as they can out of their new rigs and the performance differences it can make, I wonder how much of a difference more channels would have made.

I totally agree that it's more useful on the enterprise, especially with high density virtualization- but it's still useful in gaming.

Two things that concerns me are that the 10 Gb ethernet shares the same PCIe lanes as the GPU and that the link between the CPU and the X390 chipset is only x4.

BTW is COLCK a typo for CLOCK - which would likely mean the thing is fake - or does it stand for something?

The 5820k was pretty affordable.

True, but it was still considered quite niche, being X99 part and still pricier than already pricey LGA1150/1 i7, Intel topping out with quad cores in their mainstream segment.

Ryzen 8 and 6 cores on the other hand are part of mainstream platform, their six cores are also very much affordable, entry level 8 core is cheaper than i7 and AMD doesn't even offer dual cores (at least not yet anyway). With Coffee Lake joining the 6 core party in Q42017 it will finally put pressure on developers.

When you're part of tech forum all these things look rather common place but the fact is that loads of people still use dual core CPUs and that 6 core CPUs owners constitute only fraction of the market.

Last edited:
True, but it was still considered quite niche, being X99 part and still pricier than already pricey LGA1150/1 i7 and Intel topping out with quad cores in their mainstream segment.

Ryzen 8 and 6 cores on the other hand are part of mainstream platform, their six cores are also very much affordable, entry level 8 core is cheaper than i7 and AMD doesn't even offer dual cores (at least not yet anyway). With Coffee Lake joining the 6 core party in Q42017 it will finally put pressure on developers.

When you're part of tech forum all these things look rather common place but the fact is that loads of people still use dual core CPUs and that 6 core CPUs owners constitute only fraction of the market.

IMO there's no excuse to offer dual core these days, and I'm glad AMD's lowest end in the Ryzen lineup is quad core. It seems to be more than efficient enough, so why not? They should at least be cheaper than dirt nowadays.

Intel's response is going to be interesting. After all, it already has these chips on sale in the form of its Xeon processors. Disable ECC and hey presto you have a consumer unit.

These will be content creation monsters !! I hope that they have matured the memory support for when they are released. Quad channel DDR4 3200 is a lot of bandwidth to play with, so hopefully it won't be stuck as 2133mhz.

I would get one if someone makes a premium ITX board for it. I am always trying to get more cores lately, the benefits to my workload are pretty immense.

Still waiting on ESXi to work. AMD's going to have a tough sell without one of the biggest virtualization players playing nice on their gear.
This is a HUGE thing they need fixed, and fixed ASAP. I can't use them for my VM boxes till it's taken care of.

Back