AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D CPU Review & Benchmarks: $700 Gaming Flagship

So then you are saying it is not mostly useless? It's top 5 in all of those categories.

7950X doesn't really compare that closely. So I guess my option would be 13900K. But then I am stuck with a dead platform. Do you see why the 7950X3D is not "useless"?
It's not useless, it's overpriced and scenarios where it's a better option than a 7950X or 7800X3D do exist, but are extremely limited.

There's more to gaming than First Person Shooter FPS numbers.
The Vcache improvements help management and sim titles *way* more, unrelated to resolution. Which is more of my gaming preference anyway.
Legitimate.

Another way to look at it is you get a 7700X and a7800X3D on the same substrate not a bad deal considering they can also gang up to handle the heavy lifting. I'm still undecided but certainly considering it as an option that would always git er done.

It's not useless, it's overpriced and scenarios where it's a better option than a 7950X or 7800X3D do exist, but are extremely limited.

Legitimate.
Quite different than your original post. :)

It’s the halo CPU - not surprised it’s overpriced. I paid $699.99 for a 7950X, $449.99 for a 5800X3D…I remember when everyone said “cool X3D…but need a 16 core version”. AMD delivered.

Last edited:
There's more to gaming than First Person Shooter FPS numbers.
The Vcache improvements help management and sim titles *way* more, unrelated to resolution. Which is more of my gaming preference anyway.

Yeah. I tend to prefer FPS titlles, but everyone has their preference. I used to play all types of titles, but since approximately the mid 90's I've been like 95% FPS, and 5% Sid Meier's Civilization :p

This is why a good CPU or GPU review should make sure it includes at least one title from each category:
- Competitive multiplayer FPS
- Single player open world FPS
- Real Time Strategy
- Turn Based Strategy
- Vehicle Sims (driving, flying, etc.)
- Maybe a 3rd person perspective game (though performance will probably be similar to FPS but with greater draw distances due to the perspective, so slightly lower performance)

I'm not sure other game types (platformer, fighting, sports, etc.) really warrant benchmarks though.

Yeah. I tend to prefer FPS titlles, but everyone has their preference. I used to play all types of titles, but since approximately the mid 90's I've been like 95% FPS, and 5% Sid Meier's Civilization :p

This is why a good CPU or GPU review should make sure it includes at least one title from each category:
- Competitive multiplayer FPS
- Single player open world FPS
- Real Time Strategy
- Turn Based Strategy
- Vehicle Sims (driving, flying, etc.)
- Maybe a 3rd person perspective game (though performance will probably be similar to FPS but with greater draw distances due to the perspective, so slightly lower performance)

I'm not sure other game types (platformer, fighting, sports, etc.) really warrant benchmarks though.
I submit one more category
-weird simulation games that usually look like crap but users sometimes build insanely complex things in them ( minecraft, dwarf fortress, factorio, etc...)

-weird simulation games that usually look like crap but users sometimes build insanely complex things in them ( minecraft, dwarf fortress, factorio, etc...)
Despite some FPS-centric players acting like they're the only market that matters, quite a few of those games draw a sizeable player base, too. Reviewers need to step up their game, tbh

Is this already confirmed to work on the 7950X3D just as good as a BIOS change like Hardware Unboxed and some others were doing?
My take on it is - it may work. But I doubt it works as well as AMD's own solution (which doesn't seem to always work) - hence why I just am forcing it via the BIOS. I bought X3D for a reason. The extra 8 cores are just bonus. My other rig that I use a lot will get a 7800X3D next month.

Is this already confirmed to work on the 7950X3D just as good as a BIOS change like Hardware Unboxed and some others were doing?
Haven't seen benching using lasso on 7000 yet. I've used lasso extensively on 5000 series and really liked it. Low thread count games can be set to use only the fastest cores on a CCD and everything else gets slower cores you just have to be careful assigning priority as windows can get upset with you.

I was counting MineCraft in with FPS titles, but you are probably right. The load is probably very different in Minecraft, especially since it runs on Java.

I actually just watched a video of a Minecraft bringing a 4090 down to 10fps.

I have my Minecraft settings at around 60fps at 1440p with a 3080 12gb. Which is lower fps than Cyberpunk, but Java Minecraft also doesn't have DLSS to help.

https://github.com/xxEzri/Vermeer/blob/main/Guide.md

Found where someone compared the 5900 to the 5800X3D and included some atypical games not normally included in reviews. 5800X3D was clearly and noticeably superior in some of those games. Unfortunately it didn't make much difference with Civ 6 turn times. I would be interested in how X3D fairs with Civ 4 though, considering Civ 4 is 100% single-thread and focused more heavily (especially with mods) on the "sim" side than the "gamey" side.

X3D blew non-X3D out of the water on Stellaris though.

But have to repeat again this was the 5800X3D, which didn't have two separate vcache and non-vcache halves that potentially complicates things.

Switched to prefer cache in the BIOS and Fortnite is a lot smoother now on a consistent basis. Just going to "cheat" this way until further revisions of the core parking software.
I take this back - stuttering tonight, again. Must be something else going on. SONOFA. At least this means AMD's software solution works. It's just some ghost in the machine causing the stuttering. I am using GeForce Experience recommended settings which usually doesn't do me wrong.

My issue with this launch is they are making it overly complicated when they didn’t need too and AMD doesn’t have a great track record with fast updates and uniform operability.

They should have just had 3 product lines of CPUs:

- Consumer (non-X Ryzen series)
- Enthusiast (X Ryzen series)
- Gamer (3D Vcache Ryzen series)

With the Gamer line having:

-7600X3D
-7800X3D
-7950X3D

The 7950X3D of which has 2 CCDs with 3D Vcache.

They should also change or create a way for their EXPO profiles to include all subtimings too with AMD specific certifications for them like EXPO Uber Extreme, EXPO and EXPO lite or whatever.

Just my 2 cents, I know some probably wouldn’t like that but it would drastically simplify it all imo.

My issue with this launch is they are making it overly complicated when they didn’t need too and AMD doesn’t have a great track record with fast updates and uniform operability.

They should have just had 3 product lines of CPUs:

- Consumer (non-X Ryzen series)
- Enthusiast (X Ryzen series)
- Gamer (3D Vcache Ryzen series)

With the Gamer line having:

-7600X3D
-7800X3D
-7950X3D

The 7950X3D of which has 2 CCDs with 3D Vcache.

They should also change or create a way for their EXPO profiles to include all subtimings too with AMD specific certifications for them like EXPO Uber Extreme, EXPO and EXPO lite or whatever.

Just my 2 cents, I know some probably wouldn’t like that but it would drastically simplify it all imo.
Great points - but AMD said the benefits of two CCDs were minimal and my guess is the cost/benefit wasn’t there. A $999 gamer part would be a tough sell, especially one that is significantly slower than the non-X3D part for productivity.

IMO - they can’t win. :)

The 7800X3D will prove to be the CPU to get and the reason for the delay will be obvious.

Great points - but AMD said the benefits of two CCDs were minimal and my guess is the cost/benefit wasn’t there. A $999 gamer part would be a tough sell, especially one that is significantly slower than the non-X3D part for productivity.

IMO - they can’t win. :)

The 7800X3D will prove to be the CPU to get and the reason for the delay will be obvious.

Im sure it would have niche use cases but yea I get it. It’s just been hilarious seeing all of the confusion and issues so far. Every thread, video or telegram/discord discussion has people arguing or not knowing things when it shouldn’t be that serious.

A 7600X3D and 7800X3D would be in extremely high demand and just removing the 7950X3D could have given them more inventory along with taking out the 7900X3D.

Granted AMD might be doing this to work out all the issues for something they’ve been eyeing on their roadmap for 8000 series or something I don’t know.

Granted AMD might be doing this to work out all the issues for something they’ve been eyeing on their roadmap for 8000 series or something I don’t know.

Hope springs eternal but this is AMD we're talking about.

looks like they are flooding the market with shit load of 7900x3d. And people are buying them too lmao. May be a good business strategy until 7800x3d comes out, they know 7900x3d would probably not sell much after 7950x3d and 7800x3d saturate the market. So get all the 7900x3d over the month as they can. BB has them in stock again and this is like the 4th drop since launch and have not seen the 7950x3d dropped even once.

saw notification amazon dropped 7900x3d again today too. Looks like very small amount of 7950x3d at launch and then full on 7900x3d.

looks like they are flooding the market with shit load of 7900x3d. And people are buying them too lmao. May be a good business strategy until 7800x3d comes out, they know 7900x3d would probably not sell much after 7950x3d and 7800x3d saturate the market. So get all the 7900x3d over the month as they can. BB has them in stock again and this is like the 4th drop since launch and have not seen the 7950x3d dropped even once.

saw notification amazon dropped 7900x3d again today too. Looks like very small amount of 7950x3d at launch and then full on 7900x3d.
AMD could make a killing if they sold a 7600X3D....We know that the 7900X3D is 6+6, so it can be done.

AMD could make a killing if they sold a 7600X3D....We know that the 7900X3D is 6+6, so it can be done.

Not a good business decision at this point. It will kill sales of higher product stack lmao. I think margins on 7800x3d are probably way way higher, doubt they go lower than 8 core ever at this point for x3d.

Not a good business decision at this point. It will kill sales of higher product stack lmao. I think margins on 7800x3d are probably way way higher, doubt they go lower than 8 core ever at this point for x3d.
Depends. It could also make people move over to AMD if a 7600x3d is fighting blows with a 13900k. Could give them quite a bit more market share and have people on the AMD ecosystem.

That in itself might make it worth it in the long run. Of course I agree that I don’t think they ever will because of your point exactly

Depends. It could also make people move over to AMD if a 7600x3d is fighting blows with a 13900k. Could give them quite a bit more market share and have people on the AMD ecosystem.

That in itself might make it worth it in the long run. Of course I agree that I don’t think they ever will because of your point exactly
They will sell every 7800x3d they make. That will sell over 13900k already. Point I am trying to make is there is no reason for them to make this a budget option when it sells hot at 450. If someone wants cheaper they have 5800x3d for cheaper. So I don’t really see them making 6 core when they sell everything they make. Heck people are even buying the 7900x3d.

It would cannibalize the sales of the 7900X3D while doing so at a pricepoint where they would be forced to compete with the likes of the 13600K for pricing and AMD does not want to fight a battle where they have to think about a competitive margin, why sell silicon for a 30% cut when they can sell it for a 60% cut at a higher SKU when they know they will sell 100% of the silicon they print. So yes a 7600X3D would sell like hotcakes, but not any faster than the 7900X3D will, and they would make less money while doing it, so as a business why would they make that decision when they have products in that price point already that will do the job equally well, they would be creating a product that competes with their own stack and that's not something they are doing right now.

It would cannibalize the sales of the 7900X3D while doing so at a pricepoint where they would be forced to compete with the likes of the 13600K for pricing and AMD does not want to fight a battle where they have to think about a competitive margin, why sell silicon for a 30% cut when they can sell it for a 60% cut at a higher SKU when they know they will sell 100% of the silicon they print. So yes a 7600X3D would sell like hotcakes, but not any faster than the 7900X3D will, and they would make less money while doing it, so as a business why would they make that decision when they have products in that price point already that will do the job equally well, they would be creating a product that competes with their own stack and that's not something they are doing right now.
I think simply put they want to have x3d as higher tier and high end gaming oriented. That’s one of the reason I don’t see them going below 8 cores ever and below the 449.99 price point.

There is a lot more competition in the $200-300 level parts. They might as well get as much cash as possible with the upsell to a $450 8 core especially if it beats the i7 model.

Reactions: NKD
like this
There is a lot more competition in the $200-300 level parts. They might as well get as much cash as possible with the upsell to a $450 8 core especially if it beats the i7 model.
5800x3d is and was one of the hottest selling chips. People will spend that money if it’s gets them bang for buck. I am sure they will have to sell one 7800x3d vs 3 7600x3d to get the same margin. They probably would have done it already if they felt the need I believe.

This One Update Makes the Ryzen 9 7950X3D Faster by Over 30% in Gaming​

if you plan to buy a Ryzen 9 7950X3D, ensure your chipset drivers are updated. It’s one of the few things Windows won’t do independently (barring the BIOS).

Since it was a brand-new build, we expected the vendor provider “Control Center” to update all drivers to the latest. Unfortunately, certain items require individual approval, which includes the chipset.

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/this-one-update-makes-the-ryzen-9-7950x3d-faster-by-over-30-in-gaming/

if you plan to buy a Ryzen 9 7950X3D, ensure your chipset drivers are updated. It’s one of the few things Windows won’t do independently (barring the BIOS).

Since it was a brand-new build, we expected the vendor provider “Control Center” to update all drivers to the latest. Unfortunately, certain items require individual approval, which includes the chipset.

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/this-one-update-makes-the-ryzen-9-7950x3d-faster-by-over-30-in-gaming/

I guess... They didn't read the reviewer guide or any other documentation that laid out the 42 things to do/configure/install to make the chip function as intended?

Yeah it’s a click bait article - glad that style of journalism has permeated every facet of news reporting.

Again, who cares what benchmark graph you can find to support your side. In general Intel sucks when it comes to power/performance compared to AMD. No one cares about the benchmark of "idle" only. You don't buy a CPU based on how well the idle power usage is LOL.

I am not saying the Intel CPU is bad. But lets not try to sugar coat how bad the performance/power is for Intel compared to AMD.
(quickly runs extension cord to house of person giving away free power....)

Yes they can make a 7800X3D and then disable two cores and sell it for less. Brilliant!
And before you say it is a way to use defunct cores they already have a 7600X, 7900X to do this. As well the X3D CCD's are heavily binned. They aren't throwing expensive 3D cache on a non perfect chip. The fact they did this with the 7900X3D is rediculous and the reviews and sales back this up.

Yes they can make a 7800X3D and then disable two cores and sell it for less. Brilliant!
They just have to remove or disable the one CCD not using the 3D V-cache on the 7900X3D to get a 6-core "7600X3D," not disable 2 cores on the 7800X3D.

(quickly runs extension cord to house of person giving away free power....)

jail-right-to-jail.gif

I don't get what you're trying to prove. It is a single CCD with expensive cache and two cores disabled. Do you believe a 5900X is only made with 6 cores?

I don't get what you're trying to prove. It is a single CCD with expensive cache and two cores disabled. Do you believe a 5900X is only made with 6 cores?
I doubt they would simply disable a CCD on the 7900x3d but they already have 6 core CCDs with 3d cache so they could certainly make a 7600x3d if they wanted to and the cache can't be that expensive if they can sell the 5800x3d for $350. I think the real question is why would AMD want to sell a 7600x3d for less than the 7800x3d unless they have a bunch of CCDs with 2 cores that don't make the cut.

I doubt they would simply disable a CCD on the 7900x3d but they already have 6 core CCDs with 3d cache so they could certainly make a 7600x3d if they wanted to and the cache can't be that expensive if they can sell the 5800x3d for $350. I think the real question is why would AMD want to sell a 7600x3d for less than the 7800x3d unless they have a bunch of CCDs with 2 cores that don't make the cut.
What I said.

Back