AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D CPU Review & Benchmarks: $700 Gaming Flagship

I mean lets be honest here. Doesn't matter what benchmark anyone finds. Intel uses more power than AMD. Some test are better than others, but there is no dancing around the fact that Intel sucks at power/performance compared to AMD.
hmmm.... I think it depends. If you're talking under load, yes, but don't AMD CPUs (pound for pound) consume more at idle?? IMHO, both sides of the fence could use some work.

hmmm.... I think it depends. If you're talking under load, yes, but don't AMD CPUs (pound for pound) consume more at idle?? IMHO, both sides of the fence could use some work.
Again, who cares what benchmark graph you can find to support your side. In general Intel sucks when it comes to power/performance compared to AMD. No one cares about the benchmark of "idle" only. You don't buy a CPU based on how well the idle power usage is LOL.

I am not saying the Intel CPU is bad. But lets not try to sugar coat how bad the performance/power is for Intel compared to AMD.

So the new 7000 series CPUs are available now but AMD hasn't released the new chipset drivers. How did they screw this up?

So the new 7000 series CPUs are available now but AMD hasn't released the new chipset drivers. How did they screw this up?
The Chipset driver was released last week from what I remember. But, I could be thinking of the Bios.

Asus has an updated BIOS available but there is also a required chipset driver (Version 5.01.29.2026 WHQL) that has yet to be released by AMD. You'd think they could at least get the timing correct.
lol i would have to agree. I assume it will be sometime today? Guess we will find out

Cool, let me know when we can play this game. In all seriousness, Cinebench has become a meme of a benchmark that spits out numbers that can't be interpreted into actual performance, just like Ashes before it. Seems the benches that favor AMD all end up in the same manner, who would have thunk.

Cinebench is a pretty typical rendering benchmark. Its not perfectly correlated with game results because it measures rendering capability, not gaming, but it isn't terribly off either. It's a nice convenient way to get an estimate of performance, especially since it allows you to run single core and all core side by side to get an understanding of how it performs, and it will never be GPU limited, so you get the true potential of the CPU.

It used to be worse, as it was too short and didn't fully heat soak the CPU in its test, thus estimating high for many CPU's with boost clocks, but in later versions they have changed it so it runs multiple runs which gets most CPU's to a heat soaked level.

It's by no means an AMD slanted benchmark. AMD may be doing well in it now, but it wasn't all that long ago Intel was trouncing AMD in Cinebench results, at least on a per core level, and AMD fans were complaining it was an Intel slanted benchmark :p

When both sides fanboys have complained about it at one time or another it's probably a pretty good sign that it is decently neutral :p

I agree about AoTS though. That is the worst benchmark and should never be used for anything. It is not a particularly popular game, and it performs very differently than most games, so it is not reflective of other games either. It winds up being a useless measure of performance.

Techradar review
When the cache works, holy hell does it strike hard. Factorio, Returnal, Microsoft FS just to name a few have the X3D some 30-40% faster. That's actually bonkers.
When it loses, it's by a slim margin but when it works, it destroys everything else out there. Only difference this generation is that even when the cache isn't really working, the losses aren't as great as it was the case with 5800X3D because of an inherently faster architecture than Zen 3.
I'd like to see Steve's tuned memory benches, it won't have the same effect as vanilla Zen 4 (which has 10% or so uplift in games) but it'll be interesting to see what the memory scaling looks like.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong.
Doesn’t Microsoft Game Bar require you to sign in with a registered account?

Not everyone uses a Microsoft account.

Fir instance, for me, that is a red line. When I can no longer use Windows without tying it to an online account, I will no longer use WIndows.

Local accounts only for life!

I get it. Not for you I guess. What windows are you using then? Idk many people without ms account, Xbox, office etc. but I respect your red line if it ain’t for you.

I get it. Not for you I guess. What windows are you using then? Idk many people without ms account, Xbox, office etc. but I respect your red line if it ain’t for you.
I use windows 11, no microsoft account. Dont use office (all my needs met by libreoffice), dont have an xbox. Actually I probably did sign up for a microsoft account at some point, but I forgot for what, and I dont use it to register any local software.

I use windows 11, no microsoft account. Dont use office (all my needs met by libreoffice), dont have an xbox. Actually I probably did sign up for a microsoft account at some point, but I forgot for what, and I dont use it to register any local software.
You do nothing online? Or is it you just don’t like Microsoft?

Neither. I do a lot of stuff online. I have nothing against Microsoft. I just never had a need for a microsoft account.
I have one drive etc and get office for free through work and use game pass haven’t bought a game for like 3 years still. That I buy on discount yearly during Black Fridays 😝. So I guess we all have our reasons.

I'm in Windows 10. It is still possible to install with local accounts only, but every update it gets harder. It is also still possible with Windows 11, but it required opening a console during the install process and killing the network. (it wasn't enough to just not connect to WiFi, it wouldn't let you proceed unless you did that)

I totally expect that at some point they will kill off the ability to set up a machine without at least one Windows account on the machine, and if/when they do, I'm out.

I feel the same way about having a cloud account associated with my local operating system as I feel about "always online" single player games. I am completely and universally opposed it it. Machines need to be able to stand on their own locally without any linking to anything else anywhere else, and if they can't, I don't want them.

Neither. I do a lot of stuff online. I have nothing against Microsoft. I just never had a need for a microsoft account.
Well this might be your need.

I actually am a bit disappointed at the performance, and the hoops you have to jump through to get it. I am going to wait a few days for the quirks to iron out before I make any decisions now.

May just end up waiting for the 7800x3d. AMD is pushing it back for a reason. Hopefully just to pump 7950x 3dsales, thinking the 7800x3d sales will cannibalize it.

One obvious issue, is that I imagine there his way to easily avoid it, but if you are not careful it is possible for your desktop and document folder to put in some special place to be synced between machine with onedrive, pretty fun and useful for those you want, but you will get over the free limit and get annoying, specially if you ever end up with some old local account path for those versus onedrive path and so on.

Has for this CPU, moores law is death, brought a somewhat good point;

From the preliminary result, the 7800x3d will maybe be the way to go for a gamer (the 7950x3d could have been exceptionally binned and the 7800x3d will not actually beat it, but should be quite close anyway) and if someone care just a little bit for work about the extra multithread performance on the same machine they also game, will they ever sacrifice anything on their workflow to get extra frame over the much cheaper regular 7950x ?

Who would it be for ? i.e. that was probably a good idea to delay the 7800x3d launch to sales those.

Last edited:
The lopsided vcache on the CCD's seem to be issue relying on windows and the scheduler to properly utilize the cache. I am sure there are reasons it had to be that way but it still seems odd. If the 7800x3d has just one ccd, the cache will all be stacked as one.

Jesus Christ:
View attachment 552691
That's pretty crazy if it winds up anywhere near true. Does anybody here play Satisfactory? I heard that the 5800X3D gave some really nice uplift in that game but never saw any actual numbers, and it's probably the most intensive game I have any interest in. If true, I'd love to see what the 7800X does there.

I have no idea what Factorio is, but how on earth are they simulating the 7800x3d?

The 7800x3d is just supposed to be a single CCD version of the 7950x3d, but with lower turbo clocks. I don't understand how it would wind up being that much faster (or faster at all, it should be slower) than a 7950x3d.

All you need to run some high CPU sim to be repeatable is to have a huge late game save.
Record time to load.
Have an automated, repeatable track for something like planet coaster. A car that you're following in cities skylines, or just a camera fly through that you have set to a keyboard macro for everything else.

Record CPU load and FPS like usual.

I don't think it would be hard to do.

Waiting on drivers...lol...

BIOS Updated - check
Windows 11 Updated - check
Game Bar - check
Game Mode Enabled - check
Chipset Drivers - :( - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am5/x670e

https://community.amd.com/t5/gaming...with-a-new-amd-ryzen-9-7950x3d-or/ba-p/589464

x670e_7950x3d.jpg

I have no idea what Factorio is, but how on earth are they simulating the 7800x3d?

The 7800x3d is just supposed to be a single CCD version of the 7950x3d, but with lower turbo clocks. I don't understand how it would wind up being that much faster (or faster at all, it should be slower) than a 7950x3d.

timestamped to the explanation

This. And Offtopic but for a lot of users it's not that they don't understand the merits of online accounts, but resent Microsoft's stick approach instead of carrot.

MS just expected - and now outright trick - users into an online MS account, rather than incentivizing it and making it compelling enough for fence sitters.

Last edited:
I totally expect that at some point they will kill off the ability to set up a machine without at least one Windows account on the machine, and if/when they do, I'm out.
I understand your sentiment but I EVERY time I try to daily drive another OS I end up switching back. MacOS and Linux simply aren't for me on a day to day basis. At least not on my main desktop.

If the schedular accidentally puts the gaming load on the non-cache CCD then that's how the slowdown occurs.

If you disable the CCD without the extra cache then the only cores available are the ones with the cache. Hense the "simulated" 7800X3D. AMD really won't do it any different in real life. I have a feeling most 7800X3Ds will actually be dual CCD chips with one with fused connections. They have actually already discovered 5800X's built this way.

It's all about economies of scale these days. The fewer SKUs you have to manufacture the cheaper things get.

but resent Microsoft's stick approach instead of carrot.

MS just expected - and now outright trick - users into an online MS account, rather than incentivizing it and making it compelling enough for fence sitters.
They would need to limit the advantage to come with a microsoft account that is not linked to a machine I imagine and it would be hard in a world that google exist.

They have put incentive for years, you get a free skype, email, office online, teams, visual studio, azure devops, onedrive (5gig I think), there a long list and a different world could look like crazy value, but competition and 20 years of expecting a lot for free make it look like weak.

One that could have been a big one, access to the MsStore just didn't got that incentive (before winget at least) and I am not sure if they kept that policy of requiring an account for it.

OpenAI acquisition could change that a lot I imagine (if via your connected account your windows-office gain a lot of convenient feature), to a giant price for microsoft.

Waiting on drivers...lol...

BIOS Updated - check
Windows 11 Updated - check
Game Bar - check
Game Mode Enabled - check
Chipset Drivers - :( - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am5/x670e

https://community.amd.com/t5/gaming...with-a-new-amd-ryzen-9-7950x3d-or/ba-p/589464

View attachment 552786
I tweeted to @amdryzen and boom the drivers are up now lmao, like 10 mins later. Someone didn't click the upload button.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am5/x670e

This. And Offtopic but for a lot of users it's not that they don't understand the merits of online accounts, but resent Microsoft's stick approach instead of carrot.

Exactly. It was fine when it was optional, but each successive iteration of Windows 10 made it harder and harder to find the local account only option. Windows 11 requires the terminal method Zarathustra mentioned above.

Back on topic: I have no need for a 7800x3D since I'm running a 5800x3D now and it is more than enough for everything that I've been doing; however, I am tempted to give the 5800x3D to my son just for the excuse to build something new.

Man, i'm really lucky that I was able to lock it in - almost everything went out of stock quickly. My local Microcenter didn't ever show them in stock online (though the 7900X3D seem to be,), Newegg and Amazon show is out of stock, AMD direct is out of stock for both CPUs (and the 7900XTX GPU, though the XT is available) At around 10am I was able to find the Amazon listing (which oddly was on the 2nd or 3rd page. This was the 'direct from Amazon' shipment and sale thankfully; I can only imagine what kind of prices will start popping up for 3rd parties ) and had the fulfillment date of March 7th, but by the time I finished checkout it was the 14th! I didn't think these would have been either so limited/shortage related or grabbed quite so quickly! It would be nice if they could fulfill ahead of that time, but I guess we'll see. Either way, clearly there's a lot of interest in the 7950X3D!

Edit: It does seem a little odd that purchase from first tier online retailers dont (?) seem to include the gaming bundle from AMD? Also I may be wrong but a direct from AMD purchase seems to have the promo being a copy of Jedi Survivor when it releases (and its the Origin version, not the Steam version according to the small print. Ugh) . I mean, that's okay but it wasn't that long ago when both NV and AMD often had a bundle where you got keys for several games, often 2 mid to high profile pre-orders + a released game or two, assuming you got the "gold" version for purchasing a high end CPU or GPU from any legit retailer. Guess this is another thing that the pandemic and shortages have taken from us, along with companies increasingly locking down the way you redeem the games that you DO get (starting with Nvidia of course who has never met a proprietary lockdown they don't like, it seems. AMD lasted for longer but they're now doing a similar type of verification it appears; it may be less obnoxious)

Last edited:
I tweeted to @amdryzen and boom the drivers are up now lmao, like 10 mins later. Someone didn't click the upload button.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am5/x670e
Wow. Those are even newer than the ASRock ones...just did a test round of Fortnite. WAAAY cooler than my 7950X (likely due to my previous underpasting). My lows are a lot better too. Much more smooth of a feel. I am happy here.

7950x3d_fortnite.jpg

EDIT: looks like just the "PPM Provisioning File Driver" changed...

amd_chipset2.jpg

Yeah, I'm not into anything cloud for any reason.

There is no cloud, it's just someone else's computer, and you can't trust it.

I tend to avoid any and all tech products that are not 100% local. The only exception is my phone, because you just can't function in society without one these days. It still makes me angry every time I use it, that it is tied to an online account.

First thing I do whenever I get a new phone is to go into settings and disable absolutely everything cloud integrated. All backups, all password storage, all syncing, everything gets disabled. In some cases I replace it with automated syncing and storage to my own NAS, but that's it. And as far as IOT goes, if it requires a online service and/or an app in order to work, I just don't buy it.

I haven't signed up for any new accounts, or installed any new apps since 2017, and it would take hell freezing over for me to sign up for any going forward. I cant reverse my poor judgment in the past, but at least I can make sure I don't make it any worse.

The features they offer are just not things I want. I can back up my own pictures, and I see very little value in syncing my activity between devices, and I don't ever want my passwords stored by anyone else but me.

These are tiny minor conveniences, and we are makeing MASSIVE tradeoffs in privacy in exchange for them. It's enough to make my head want to explode.

Man, i'm really lucky that I was able to lock it in - almost everything went out of stock quickly. My local Microcenter didn't ever show them in stock online (though the 7900X3D seem to be,)

I hate this. If I can't just walk into a store at my own leisure and buy something (or order it online when I feel like it) I'm out. I'm not going to go hunting for things, or standing in line or refreshing webpages hoping I get one.

Nothing in life is worth standing in line for. (Fuck you Disney).

Life is too short.

If I go to a restaurant and it is busy, and they have a wait, I just leave. I'm not doing that shit anymore. My time is too valuable to me.

I hate this. If I can't just walk into a store at my own leisure and buy something (or order it online when I feel like it) I'm out. I'm not going to go hunting for things, or standing in line or refreshing webpages hoping I get one.

Nothing in life is worth standing in line for. (Fuck you Disney).

Life is too short.

If I go to a restaurant and it is busy, and they have a wait, I just leave. I'm not doing that shit anymore. My time is too valuable to me.
why I use reservations and use stock notifications plug in so I don't have to wait for shit. You are right about time being too important. All my shit is on my calendar and set up way ahead of time.

Back