AMD Ryzen 9 5900X in iMac Pro

Mega6

2[H]4U
Last edited:
Not a certainty, but seems possible...
"So can users start getting excited at the prospect of a world-conquering 27-inch Apple iMac Pro featuring one of AMD’s latest and greatest Vermeer chips in the form of the Ryzen 9 5900X being released in the near future?"

2181 single core Geekbench - why single core so much higher in the Mac Pro than windows? You would think that a cross-platorm benchmark would be closer together between platforms. Like 1600-1700

Apple soldered the RAM to the IHS.

If AMD gets the sales, and didn't have to discount the price too much to get the contract win, I'm all for it. Good for them.

Other than that I don't care. I never met an Apple product I liked.

I'm sure as hell never going to use another iMac, regardless of what CPU they drop in it.

"So can users start getting excited at the prospect of a world-conquering 27-inch Apple iMac Pro featuring one of AMD’s latest and greatest Vermeer chips in the form of the Ryzen 9 5900X being released in the near future?"

2181 single core Geekbench - why single core so much higher in the Mac Pro than windows? You would think that a cross-platorm benchmark would be closer together between platforms. Like 1600-1700
BeCaUsE MaCs ArE bEtTeR...
Anyways, I've always been suspicious of cross platform Geekbench results, now I know why. Sounds like it's not the same scoring calculation to paint Apple in a better light or something.
You can't just magically gain 30% single core performance... Windows isn't THAT bad lol.

Are Hackintoshs still a thing. I sort of doubt Apple is going to stick with x86 at this point... unless they really figure they need one more generation at the high end. Which is possible I guess. If they are going to buy from AMD I hope AMD squeezes every penny cause its going to be a one off likely.

Other than that I don't care. I never met an Apple product I liked.

I'm sure as hell never going to use another iMac, regardless of what CPU they drop in it.
This is a silly comment as the 27" iMac was for a long time the best Apple bang for buck by FAR and honestly a hell of a deal especially refurb.

This is a silly comment as the 27" iMac was for a long time the best Apple bang for buck by FAR and honestly a hell of a deal especially refurb.

Why is it a silly question? Being bang for the buck doesn't make it any more interesting to me.

They are still a massive pain in the ass, and I want nothing to do with them. My fiance's 2013 Era 27" iMac will be the last Apple product to connect to my network once it died a couple of years ago.

Or was a pain the ass to set up, to maintain, to use and I don't ever want another one in my house ever again.

You had to cut through glue and freaking lift the glass screen off of it with a suction cup just to access the drive.

I don't know about you, but I'm used to popping drives in and out of my machines on a regular basis. This shit does not fly.

No Apple computer offers anything at all that I want at any price point.

You couldn't pay me to use one.

They are nothing but shiny garbage that try to make my life as inconvenient as humanly possible.

Why is it a silly question? Being bang for the buck doesn't make it any more interesting to me.

They are still a massive pain in the ass, and I want nothing to do with them. My fiance's 2013 Era 27" iMac will be the last Apple product to connect to my network once it died a couple of years ago.

Or was a pain the ass to set up, to maintain, to use and I don't ever want another one in my house ever again.

You had to cut through glue and freaking lift the glass screen off of it with a suction cup just to access the drive.

I don't know about you, but I'm used to popping drives in and out of my machines on a regular basis. This shit does not fly.

No Apple computer offers anything at all that I want at any price point.

You couldn't pay me to use one.

They are nothing but shiny garbage that try to make my life as inconvenient as humanly possible.
This seems like a lot of complaining for an all-in-one device. I don't think suction cups on a glass front is any harder than another all-in-one 27" and it's certainly not any harder than your average Dell laptop disassembly which is basically what it is with a giant color-accurate* monitor attached. The 2013 model in particular was probably the best bargain of any of them.

I think you're a bitch and you just camp this forum to bitch about every single thing posted even if you have nothing remotely interesting to say.

My clueless brother bought one of those 27" imacs. Got it last year, he didnt even get the one with an ssd, probably because it was another $300 more or some crazy shit. Really man, people that buy apple are suckers. I just priced out my rig and if I bought it from apple it would be over $9k. LOL

This seems like a lot of complaining for an all-in-one device. I don't think suction cups on a glass front is any harder than another all-in-one 27" and it's certainly not any harder than your average Dell laptop disassembly which is basically what it is with a giant color-accurate* monitor attached. The 2013 model in particular was probably the best bargain of any of them.

I think you're a bitch and you just camp this forum to bitch about every single thing posted even if you have nothing remotely interesting to say.

There is absolutely no reason it couldn't have had a little door on the back so one could access drives and RAM.

I will criticize every machine from any manufacturer that does not have this, if it isn't easy to remove the cover.

At one of my jobs we had to disable the onboard camera in HP all-in-ones due to a software conflict. 8 screws and the entire back came off. They do not need to be that unrepairable.

At one of my jobs we had to disable the onboard camera in HP all-in-ones due to a software conflict. 8 screws and the entire back came off. They do not need to be that unrepairable.
And if you have suction cups for pulling up floor panels the iMac comes apart in seconds with no screws.

Not to go off-topic, but couldn't the camera just be disabled in BIOS/UEFI?
Dell is the same with their Latitude laptops, and the bottom panel is incredibly easy and user-friendly to remove and allows easy access to the internals.

And if you have suction cups for pulling up floor panels the iMac comes apart in seconds with no screws.
As for the iMacs, the suction cups might work well, and I will have to try that sometime - thanks for the info, guiitarslingerchris. (y)

I think that a panel with screws would be a much user friendly solution, as not very many people have suction cups like that, but 99% of the world has a screwdriver... Just saying.
Apple isn't on the consumers side as far as upgradability or reparability period.

In my opinion most Apple products are a huge waste of money, they are not friendly at all to IT folks.
If someone comes to me (personal not work) with a dead Macbook, 90% of the time, I can't do anything about it. Dead drive? Soldered. The other 10%, it isn't even worth my time.

Last edited:
My clueless brother bought one of those 27" imacs. Got it last year, he didnt even get the one with an ssd, probably because it was another $300 more or some crazy shit. Really man, people that buy apple are suckers. I just priced out my rig and if I bought it from apple it would be over $9k. LOL
The iMac is actually a pretty good value if you value a 5K display. Those are still wildly expensive by themselves. Now, whether or not you value a 5K screen is another matter, but it's great for editing photos and videos while still having room for other material. Hell, it's good for watching/working on 1080p or higher video without it chewing up much screen space.

The iMac is actually a pretty good value if you value a 5K display. Those are still wildly expensive by themselves. Now, whether or not you value a 5K screen is another matter, but it's great for editing photos and videos while still having room for other material. Hell, it's good for watching/working on 1080p or higher video without it chewing up much screen space.
Is 5K that much better than 4K?

There is absolutely no reason it couldn't have had a little door on the back so one could access drives and RAM.

I will criticize every machine from any manufacturer that does not have this, if it isn't easy to remove the cover.
27-inch iMacs have long had a door for user-accessible RAM (including the 2020 model). Not sure if that'll hold in the Apple Silicon era, but I suspect it will since Apple knows it still has to cater to pros who'll have wildly varying memory needs. Storage is another story, to be clear, but Apple has been willing to bend on RAM.

I suspect you won't lose existing upgradability on higher-end Apple machines even after the ARM switch wraps up, apart from perhaps a lack of add-in GPUs on the Mac Pro (and even then, I wouldn't rule that out yet). Apple is clearly selling Intel versions of the Mac mini and MacBook Pro because there are customers who need more (or more customizable) memory than what M1 allows. That and it's just not viable to cram a huge amount of memory into a CPU die.

Is 5K that much better than 4K?
Think of it more as "4K with breathing room." You can edit a 4K image or video with pixel for pixel accuracy, or run more apps side-by-side. It's not night and day different, but it's useful.

2181 single core Geekbench - why single core so much higher in the Mac Pro than windows? You would think that a cross-platform benchmark would be closer together between platforms. Like 1600-1700
Rough estimate of the windows 5900 geekbench score: 1634 calculated from a high of 1746, low of 1521, added together divided by 2 - 1633.5. 2181/1634 = 1.3347
So approximately 4/3's the windows score. So to take any Apple geekbench score and convert it to reality , just multiply it by .75

A more accurate score conversion could be figured out by averaging a page worth of the windows results (throw out that weird 637 outlier), but would also require a few more runs on the Apple to make sure there wasn't something weird with the 2181 result. Fine, went ahead and averaged the linked pages' results, tossed out 637, total was 40,008 for 24 results, average = 1667
There's only 2 Mac results, 2181 and 2125. Average = 2153
2153/1667 = 1.292. So just take the apple score, multiple by 0.77 to get the "real" score.

Apple cheating on benchmarks.... by 29%. Pitiful. Is there any other possibility (trying to give them the benefit of the doubt) that would actually cause the score to be higher? I think not, at least not by that margin.

Back