AMD Ryzen 9 5900X = $379.99 @ Newegg after instant rebate

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is very tempting to replace my 2700X, but I would really prefer a sub $250 5700X/5800X deal. I barely game on PC lately as it is, so haven't really cared to upgrade in a while.

Some people have better things to do with their time than to drive 6 hours to buy the same product they can order for the same price in a few seconds.

Some people that have a wife that tells them what they must do on their weekends, sure. For me, I can relax and actually enjoy a good trip and meet new people.

Edit: or you can eal with a company that is recently known to be a big fat zero. Oh, and the Microcenter prices are lower for the stuff I buy there.

Last edited:
Some people that have a wife that tells them what they must do on their weekends, sure. For me, I can relax and actually enjoy a good trip and meet new people.

Edit: or you can eal with a company that is recently known to be a big fat zero. Oh, and the Microcenter prices are lower for the stuff I buy there.
Your idea of enjoyment differs from mine. If I have all day to myself I’m doing a day trip out in the desert for some riding or target shooting.

There’s no “dealing with” add to cart pay wait for delivery. Enjoy your 6 hour drive. Sounds thrilling.

Your idea of enjoyment differs from mine. If I have all day to myself I’m doing a day trip out in the desert for some riding or target shooting.

There’s no “dealing with” add to cart pay wait for delivery. Enjoy your 6 hour drive. Sounds thrilling.

Much more than thrilling but, extremely relaxing. :) Also, not sure where you got the dealing with part from, I never said that. :)

Much more than thrilling but, extremely relaxing. :) Also, not sure where you got the dealing with part from, I never said that. :)
I got it from you

“Edit: or you can eal with a company that is recently known to be a big fat zero.”

Unless you really mean eal with.

I got it from you

“Edit: or you can eal with a company that is recently known to be a big fat zero.”

Unless you really mean eal with.

A, I missed that since I did a typo there. :D Well, with Newegg, good luck, there are nothing like what they once were and that is just simply the way it is.

I never understood people who will drive over 30 minutes to get something they can just order to their house for a few dollars more. The government rate of $0.582 per mile for your gas/wear/tear, etc. means you are losing money driving to Microcenter (and that rate is probably too low after the dramatic increase in gas prices). I like Microcenter as much as the next person, and if I'm near one, I'll stop. But the real cost of driving to one just to buy a CPU/MB bundle doesn't outweigh the extra expense of driving there.

There is nothing about driving on the interstate that is relaxing. If you're "relaxing" you're not paying enough attention to the people driving around you.

A, I missed that since I did a typo there. :D Well, with Newegg, good luck, there are nothing like what they once were and that is just simply the way it is.
Wrong. Enjoy wasting tons of time and money driving 6 hours round trip on the highway.

I never understood people who will drive over 30 minutes to get something they can just order to their house for a few dollars more. The government rate of $0.582 per mile for your gas/wear/tear, etc. means you are losing money driving to Microcenter (and that rate is probably too low after the dramatic increase in gas prices). I like Microcenter as much as the next person, and if I'm near one, I'll stop. But the real cost of driving to one just to buy a CPU/MB bundle doesn't outweigh the extra expense of driving there.

And I guess you could say the same about every single vacation people take, every single trip to any store at all or on and on and on......... I simply cannot understand why people waste money at Disney theme parks but, they do not need my understanding to enjoy something and therefore...... Your idea of losing money is wrong, nothing more and nothing less but, that is ok but, not all of us drive a piece of crap car or truck with crappy mileage either so...... I have lost nothing, at all, not even time, because I actually enjoy going places and doing things. Oh, and my video card was $200 less than everywhere else, literally, and that does not include tax. :) And it is still $200 less and I am saving $100 on a price match, not a newegg giftcard, because the price dropped by $100.

I am personally old enough now that I know what is enjoyable and do so, not because it will be approved by the HF members but because I know it is cost effective and fun, for me. I have a car that is going to last 300000 miles or more, since 75% are highway miles. Maybe you now understand, even if you would not do so yourself but, you would go far away in a drive or flight just to see something and even then, you are losing more money than my idea of fun. Take it or leave it, do not knock it until you try it.

And I guess you could say the same about every single vacation people take, every single trip to any store at all or on and on and on......... I simply cannot understand why people waste money at Disney theme parks but, they do not need my understanding to enjoy something and therefore...... Your idea of losing money is wrong, nothing more and nothing less but, that is ok but, not all of us drive a piece of crap car or truck with crappy mileage either so...... I have lost nothing, at all, not even time, because I actually enjoy going places and doing things. Oh, and my video card was $200 less than everywhere else, literally, and that does not include tax. :) And it is still $200 less and I am saving $100 on a price match, not a newegg giftcard, because the price dropped by $100.

I am personally old enough now that I know what is enjoyable and do so, not because it will be approved by the HF members but because I know it is cost effective and fun, for me. I have a car that is going to last 300000 miles or more, since 75% are highway miles. Maybe you now understand, even if you would not do so yourself but, you would go far away in a drive or flight just to see something and even then, you are losing more money than my idea of fun. Take it or leave it, do not knock it until you try it.

If you're couching it in terms of paying for the "experience," then you're right...who am I to judge how you spend your money or what kind of "experiences" you value.

But if you're talking about the actual cost of the item, the product you are buying at Microcenter is almost always costing you more money than if you bought it somewhere else due to the very real transportation costs you are voluntarily incurring.

This is a cost discussion, not a fun one. Though highway driving is awful, and you're losing money on the deal doing it. I laughed heartily at your comparison of it to a vacation!

If you're couching it in terms of paying for the "experience," then you're right...who am I to judge how you spend your money or what kind of "experiences" you value.

But if you're talking about the actual cost of the item, the product you are buying at Microcenter is almost always costing you more money than if you bought it somewhere else due to the very real transportation costs you are voluntarily incurring.

I am not couching anything, I am telling you straight up, and whether you agree with it or not is entirely up to you. And no, you are wrong it is not or almost never costing me more money but that is fine. Actually going and doing things is what I enjoy, as well as meeting people I would have not otherwise meet. As I said, not all of use drive either a piece of crap or a vehicle with crappy mileage so....... :)

Edit: Oh, and the peace of mind I get from purchasing it from a known a reliable vendor. :)

I am not couching anything, I am telling you straight up, and whether you agree with it or not is entirely up to you. And no, you are wrong in that it almost always is costing me more money but that is fine. Actually going and doing things is what I enjoy, as well as meeting people I would have not otherwise meet. As I said, not all of use drive either a piece of crap or a vehicle with crappy mileage so....... :)
Math doesn't lie. Nice try!

This is a cost discussion, not a fun one. Though highway driving is awful, and you're losing money on the deal doing it. I laughed heartily at your comparison of it to a vacation!

In your opinion, highway driving is awful, in my mind, it is relaxing and enjoyable, because I know where I am going. As for a vacation, if you want to spend $1000's on a Disney trip, go for it, but that is not for me. As for the peace of mind I mentioned above, for buying from a reliable vendor....... :)

Edit: And the cool thing is, I have $100 + tax coming back to me, Newegg would have only given me a $100 Newegg giftcard, or at least that is how they operating in the past.

In your opinion, highway driving is awful, in my mind, it is relaxing and enjoyable, because I know where I am going. As for a vacation, if you want to spend $1000's on a Disney trip, go for it, but that is not for me. As for the peace of mind I mentioned above, for buying from a reliable vendor....... :)

Edit: And the cool thing is, I have $100 + tax coming back to me, Newegg would have only given me a $100 Newegg giftcard, or at least that is how they operating in the past.

You do realize it's a logical fallacy to compare driving to Microcenter with a Disney vacation. Nobody here said anything about Disney and you set it up as a comparison point. That is what we call a straw man... Just saying...

In fairness to GoldenTiger , this is a Hot Deals discussion and when comparing a slightly cheaper Microcenter CPU to one at Newegg, it makes sense to look at the costs associated with purchasing from either vendor. One such cost is the transportation. Another one is the "reliability" of the vendor. Return policies, ship times, availability, etc. all factor in. All things considered, I would buy from MC over NE assuming an equal cost. However, if I had a DOA item, I would have to take another drive to return it as opposed to dropping it off at the UPS store or post office. Amazon is slightly more expensive, but I'm almost guaranteed less hassle IF I had to return something, and I'd likely have the CPU the next day instead of 3-5 days like NE and without a day trip to MC. Everyone here is competent enough to decide for themselves I would think.

To us, it isn't worth the extra cost of driving there. To you, it is. I don't have a very negative past with NE like some do, so I wouldn't mind purchasing from them if the price is right. I've also been known to "overpay" slightly to get it the next day from Amazon vs. waiting to get it from NE. Everybody has their own factors which play into their purchase decisions.

You do realize it's a logical fallacy to compare driving to Microcenter with a Disney vacation. Nobody here said anything about Disney and you set it up as a comparison point. That is what we call a straw man... Just saying...

In fairness to GoldenTiger , this is a Hot Deals discussion and when comparing a slightly cheaper Microcenter CPU to one at Newegg, it makes sense to look at the costs associated with purchasing from either vendor. One such cost is the transportation. Another one is the "reliability" of the vendor. Return policies, ship times, availability, etc. all factor in. All things considered, I would buy from MC over NE assuming an equal cost. However, if I had a DOA item, I would have to take another drive to return it as opposed to dropping it off at the UPS store or post office. Amazon is slightly more expensive, but I'm almost guaranteed less hassle IF I had to return something, and I'd likely have the CPU the next day instead of 3-5 days like NE and without a day trip to MC. Everyone here is competent enough to decide for themselves I would think.

To us, it isn't worth the extra cost of driving there. To you, it is. I don't have a very negative past with NE like some do, so I wouldn't mind purchasing from them if the price is right. I've also been known to "overpay" slightly to get it the next day from Amazon vs. waiting to get it from NE. Everybody has their own factors which play into their purchase decisions.

The rest of your post makes sense but, I do believe Microcenter will test your item, for a small fee or even free, just to make sure. As for the logical fallacy, no, it is not at all, since I enjoy going to that actual store and spend time looking around, it is an actual adventure. The other cool thing is, if I chose to do so I could go to a number of different things in Cleveland and still get home late at night or early in the morning, if I did not want to stay overnight for a big event. Oh, and I would rather go to a BIll's game, since I live in Bill's Mafia country, for another fun thing but, there are only 8 of those here so....... (I think it is 8.)

Lol, six hour round trip with $5 a gallon gas plus your time.

1650303188346.png

The rest of your post makes sense but, I do believe Microcenter will test your item, for a small fee or even free, just to make sure. As for the logical fallacy, no, it is not at all, since I enjoy going to that actual store and spend time looking around, it is an actual adventure. The other cool thing is, if I chose to do so I could go to a number of different things in Cleveland and still get home late at night or early in the morning, if I did not want to stay overnight for a big event. Oh, and I would rather go to a BIll's game, since I live in Bill's Mafia country, for another fun thing but, there are only 8 of those here so....... (I think it is 8.)
cool-story-bro-5cdbb2.jpg

Ok we really got off topic. Let man spend his time how he wants and lets move on please.

The cool thing is, as far as Microcenter goes, if you have a MC Credit Card, you get %5 off so the 5900X would cost $352 + tax. Oh well, nothing to sneeze at nowadays.

Reactions: DPI
like this
……. If you’re sticking with AM4, great deal at this price. If building new, go Alderlake 12600K/12700K on DDR4 (ddr5 too pricey atm)

Bought my 5900x in august 2021 for $499 from Amazon, didn’t put the build together until dec. @ sub $400, fantastic deal for AM4’s last hurrah as a drop in upgrade for an existing system.

Put the savings towards a GPU fund….

Ok we really got off topic. Let man spend his time how he wants and lets move on please.
The original topic is the price to a CPU. Nothing much more to be said about that. The rest of the thread, however, is pure gold. It really says alot about the current health of those in our society.

Imagine preferring to drive alone for 6 hours risking traffic, a breakdown, or even an accident while spending more on gas just to be idealistic instead of spending 2 minutes online then doing actual social interactions, reading a book, gardening, chipping wood, lifting weights, etc with the rest of that time.

More serious psychological research needs to be done here!

The original topic is the price to a CPU. Nothing much more to be said about that. The rest of the thread, however, is pure gold. It really says alot about the current health of those in our society.

Imagine preferring to drive alone for 6 hours risking traffic, a breakdown, or even an accident while spending more on gas just to be idealistic instead of spending 2 minutes online then doing actual social interactions, reading a book, gardening, chipping wood, lifting weights, etc with the rest of that time.

Some people honestly enjoy driving. Nothing odd about that.

?????????? LOL! I already do lifting, I do not care for gardening, I can read a book anytime and in fact, listen to one well I am in the car, I can socially interact well on the road and wherever I am going to, when I arrive....... Yeah, tells you something about what other people do and why they are willing to risk buying from a vendor that is provably unreliable but hey, to each their own.

As for a breakdown, not happening, a risk is always there no matter what you do, an accident can happen when you go to get food, and yet, I am spending money on gas but not spending more money on gas. I think you need to stop trying to force others into your own societal box and let it be but hey........

In the mean time, I just went to Microcenter about 2.5 weeks ago and bought a Red Devil 6800XT, got it the same day, spent less than online, straight up, and got to enjoy a relaxing drive and interactions with folks I would not have gotten online. Basically, there is no wrong way to make a purchase but, there are better ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back