AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-core, 24-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor, a good air cooler?

Would go for something slightly better for a 5900x. It can get quite hot once something uses something uses AVX. A 120mm or 140mm tower cooler should be fine as long you have decent case ventilation. A Nocuta NH-U12S Redux or be quiet! Pure Rock 2 should get the job done for stock, without breaking the bank. There are also other fairly decently priced alternatives that should get the job done.

Definitely go for something better. A 5900X is a 12-core, thermally-dense thunder lizard of a chip that basically self-overclocks, so if you're going with air, make sure it's BIG AIR. U12S, D15/D15S, Deepcool Assassin 3, one of the bigger ThermalRight coolers, something along those lines.

I use a Thermalright FC140 on mine, and its pretty good. If you were to buy a Thermalright cooler, get the FC140. I own LGMRT and TS140P and this is better then them both.

Definitely go for something better. A 5900X is a 12-core, thermally-dense thunder lizard of a chip that basically self-overclocks, so if you're going with air, make sure it's BIG AIR. U12S, D15/D15S, Deepcool Assassin 3, one of the bigger ThermalRight coolers, something along those lines.
The 5900x doesn't really get that hot outside if AVX on 4-5 cores, the 5800x gets at least 10 degrees hotter. I own one 5800x and one 5900x system and have thermal tested both with air, AIO and custom loops.

The difference in cooling capacity between the U12S Redux and a D15 isn't massive at stock, but the Redux is a sub 50USD cooler while the D15 is in a completely different price bracket. My understanding is that the OP is looking for a budget alternative based on him considering the wraith, so not sure why so many are suggesting expensive coolers when a good, but fairly cheap, 120mm tower is enough for his use case. The difference between a good 50USD air cooler the most expensive air coolers will most likely be less 6 degrees or less on a 5900x so if one is building on a budget then it makes sense to go with a cheaper ones.

Sure if I was building my own system I would go with something overkill as the 5900x performs better the cooler it is and it wouldn't be air or AIO as the difference between 56 and 66 degrees temp on all core load is around 3-4% performance. The difference in boost becomes less as the temps rise though. However the OP didn't ask what is the best cooler is regardless of price he was asking if a budget cooler was good enough.

The 5900x doesn't really get that hot outside if AVX on 4-5 cores, the 5800x gets at least 10 degrees hotter. I own one 5800x and one 5900x system and have thermal tested both with air, AIO and custom loops.

The difference in cooling capacity between the U12S Redux and a D15 isn't massive at stock, but the Redux is a sub 50USD cooler while the D15 is in a completely different price bracket. My understanding is that the OP is looking for a budget alternative based on him considering the wraith, so not sure why so many are suggesting expensive coolers when a good, but fairly cheap, 120mm tower is enough for his use case. The difference between a good 50USD air cooler the most expensive air coolers will most likely be less 6 degrees or less on a 5900x so if one is building on a budget then it makes sense to go with a cheaper ones.

Sure if I was building my own system I would go with something overkill as the 5900x performs better the cooler it is and it wouldn't be air or AIO as the difference between 56 and 66 degrees temp on all core load is around 3-4% performance. The difference in boost becomes less as the temps rise though. However the OP didn't ask what is the best cooler is regardless of price he was asking if a budget cooler was good enough.

I have no problem with any of the recommendations in this thread. Saving money with the redux version is fine, since it's the same cooler as the regular U12S, just slightly louder. Likewise, I don't consider $100 a lot of money to spend cooling a ~$700 CPU if someone wants to be quieter and a few degrees cooler. It's not like anyone here is recommending a custom loop for an i3. What I have a problem with is combining a high-end CPU with a throw-away cooler. That just doesn't make any sense to me

I have no problem with any of the recommendations in this thread. Saving money with the redux version is fine, since it's the same cooler as the regular U12S, just slightly louder. Likewise, I don't consider $100 a lot of money to spend cooling a ~$700 CPU if someone wants to be quieter and a few degrees cooler. It's not like anyone here is recommending a custom loop for an i3. What I have a problem with is combining a high-end CPU with a throw-away cooler. That just doesn't make any sense to me
Only the first paragraph was aimed at your post, but didn't want to make a double post. Personally I don't consider a 100$ cooler expensive, but my impression is that the OP does so most of the posters only mentioning 100$ coolers when a 50$ cooler will fullfil his needs is kind of giving him the wrong impression.

You might look at the Scythe Fuma 2. I purchased one for my 5800x with PBO and the temps were decent for the couple of days I used it before swapping to a 240 AIO I got really cheap. The AIO dropped temps a few degrees compared to the Scythe Fuma 2 but it was nothing major. The Fuma 2 is not a small heatsink but it's still a good bit smaller than a D15 and about half the price.

If a cooler can handle a 5800x well there's no reason it can't handle a 5900x. The 5900x is generally easier to cool since it has two dies instead of one which spreads out the heat instead of concentrating it in one small area.

Yeah, I have the Scythe Fuma 2 and I'm happy with it. Also paired it with a IC Graphite Thermal Pad and I love those things.

I have a NH-D15 but the U12S redux would work fine too. Worst case scenario it boosts like 100Mhz lower, and as I get older I realize that I simply don't care.

IceGiant is pretty practical....only had to have a welder cut my case twice to make everything fit lol

1626546455542.png

Another vote for the Scythe Fuma 2. Worked fine on a recent install I did for a customer on a stock 5900x. I was surprised based on its price. It presented a great value.

I'm using a thermalright https://www.amazon.com/Grand-Macho-RT-fan-TY-147B/dp/B01BCLXO7Q on my 3900X and my understanding is that the 5900X runs a little hotter. Mine works great, but I do have my processor underclocked a bit. Attaching the Le Grand Macho to an AM4 board was also a huge PITA.
Slightly older pic of the inside of my case, but it does show off the size of the cooler extremely well.
1626552395791.png

Also, cooler use depends heavily on use case, my computer is transcoding using all 24 threads constantly, so I needed something that can handle full load for 24 hours+ at a time sometimes.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I still manage all my cables and my case doesn't have a window either. But you're right, I can't imagine it actually makes any difference.

Anyway yeah, dual-tower air coolers are huge. Love my NH-D15.

Back