AMD Ryzen 9 3950X Reviews - 16 core beast

The 5124 they got earlier in R15 was #29 worldwide for the extreme 32 core bench

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
5.3GHz @ 1.72V was the max for all core at the moment.

Really would love to see him push the high bin CCX only.

Stopped due to high snowfall;

Last edited:
Here are the options I am weighing.

View attachment 199868

Having a tough time deciding..,,

Watercool Heatkiller blocks need to be ordered from Germany, as all the U.S. retailers seem to be out of Heatkiller IV Pro blocks for AMD :/
I get a feeling the threadripper might be slightly easier to get hold of...

Uh, the motherboard I chose for th x570 IS an Asus board. Just the Workstation model. Asus Pro WS x570-Ace

It's just for the Threaripper alternative I opted for the Aorus Master because it has an extra 1x PCIe slot and seems like some of th ebest power delivery (but I ahve to admit, that shit confuses the hell out of me. The marketing lingo treats all stages the same whether there are doublers or not, so I can't make neither heads nor tails of it)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Here are the options I am weighing.

View attachment 199868

Having a tough time deciding..,,

Watercool Heatkiller blocks need to be ordered from Germany, as all the U.S. retailers seem to be out of Heatkiller IV Pro blocks for AMD :/

Waa? Earn that [H] and step up to the 32core!

I bought the last heatkiller tr4 on amazon last week. Hope ya get yours. Heavy slab of copper!!

So when do we start hitting F5? Just before midnight on the 24th? How do these things usually work?

So when do we start hitting F5? Just before midnight on the 24th? How do these things usually work?

I live in the EST and I normally get up on Thanksgiving at 3:30am. The sales don’t start until it is Thanksgiving for the entire country plus like 20 to 30 minutes to get the website to turn over.

So I would say the 25th at 3:30am ET (which is 12:30am PST for the 3950x).

Nobody needs 16 cores or 32 but technology never goes backwards and AMD have delivered more cores, high performance, great efficiency at a good price so thank you AMD for spoiling us with nice things
20191114_195606.jpg

I wouldn't consider >$700 CPU, to be mainstream.

Remember when the *mainstream* Slot 1 PII-300 was going for $800+ and was sold out just about everywhere back in early 1998 ($1274 today)?

Or how about the Socket 939 Athlon X2 4800+ launched at $1001 back in 2005 ($1325 today) and they flew off the shelves?

Xeon and Opteron models were available for both Slot 1 and S939 of those years, making a distinct divide between mainstream and HEDT/Enterprise processor offerings.

That being said, $700-800 for a 16C/32T mainstream CPU that has no current rival and should offer one hell of a longevity run is quite a bargain, especially when compared to just the couple of examples I gave above.

Amazing time we live in. Truly.

So the highest expected core count on mainstream from Intel next year is just 10 cores?

Remember when the *mainstream* Slot 1 PII-300 was going for $800+ and was sold out just about everywhere back in early 1998 ($1274 today)?

Or how about the Socket 939 Athlon X2 4800+ launched at $1001 back in 2005 ($1325 today) and they flew off the shelves?

Xeon and Opteron models were available for both Slot 1 and S939 of those years, making a distinct divide between mainstream and HEDT/Enterprise processor offerings.

That being said, $700-800 for a 16C/32T mainstream CPU that has no current rival and should offer one hell of a longevity run is quite a bargain, especially when compared to just the couple of examples I gave above.

Amazing time we live in. Truly.

I don't even consider the ~$500 i9-9900K to be mainstream. If I use mainstream near it, I refer to it as the fastest gaming CPU on a mainstream "socket", just like I consider 3950X to be the fastest mult-threaded workload CPU on a mainstream "socket".

Mainstream pricing is more like $300 IMO.

I don't even consider the ~$500 i9-9900K to be mainstream. If I use mainstream near it, I refer to it as the fastest gaming CPU on a mainstream "socket", just like I consider 3950X to be the fastest mult-threaded workload CPU on a mainstream "socket".

Mainstream pricing is more like $300 IMO.

I can respect your viewpoint, as I also feel that any processor north of $300-400 is simply not the target for mass appeal.
However, we need to recognize that the upper pricing/product segments/tiers within the mainstream offerings does not disqualify them from being mainstream.

Maybe u have no idea how many i3 level shit boxes are sold to the average consumer.

i3 is mainsteam.

I can respect your viewpoint, as I also feel that any processor north of $300-400 is simply not the target for mass appeal.
However, we need to recognize that the upper pricing/product segments/tiers within the mainstream offerings does not disqualify them from being mainstream.

By that logic, the RTX 2080 Ti is a "mainstream" GPU.

Maybe u have no idea how many i3 level shit boxes are sold to the average consumer.

i3 is mainsteam.

Or maybe I do know that the Pentium and i3 are the mainstream segment leaders in terms of volume sales, since I work in Enterprise IT.

Still doesn't disqualify the pricier i5, i7, and i9 processors that'll plop onto the same MoBo socket as also part of the mainstream portfolio of products.

*medal* for u

thanks for verifying my point.

You're welcome, as long as you understand that shared socket Pentium to i9 are all part of the mainstream portfolio, just different price segments.

HEDT would be processors for the X299/X399 platform.

You're welcome, as long as you understand that shared socket Pentium to i9 are all part of the mainstream portfolio, just different price segments.

HEDT would be processors for the X299/X399 platform.
Yeah i3 level procs are mainstream. Got it. I see for u anything labeled intel is mainstream. Lol. Typical enterprise IT guy.

It is. It just happens to be at the extreme end of the pricing spectrum, along with Titan.

The Quadro is the HEDT/workstation lineup.

I still think it's not the correct terminology.

The divide you are talking about is Consumer vs Professional/enterprise.

2080 Ti is a consumer part, Quadro is a Professional/Enterprise part. Neither is a mainstream part.

You guys are discussing what is essientially an opinion... there’s more than one right answer.

Personally, for gamers, I consider anything up to around $500 for CPUs and $700 for GPUs mainstream.

For the public at large I’d agree with you.

Yeah i3 level procs are mainstream. Got it. I see for u anything labeled intel is mainstream. Lol. Typical enterprise IT guy.

When I bought my i7-3770K on launch day, it was the best mainstream offering that Intel had at the time. It's not the fault of the *primary price tier* consumers (mainly sub-$200 i3s) that Intel has since expanded their mainstream portfolio with i9s and adjusted their pricing models.

Last edited:
When I bought my i7-3770K on launch day, it was the best mainstream offering that Intel had at the time. It's not the fault of the primary *price tier* consumers (mainly sub-$200 i3s) that Intel has since expanded their mainstream portfolio with i9s and adjusted their pricing models.

I think you have those backwards. Consumer is the non pro parts. Mainstream is the inexpensive parts.

Back