AMD Ryzen 9 3950X Reviews - 16 core beast

I wouldn't consider >$700 CPU, to be mainstream.

Well, if we have to nitpick, having a desktop at all in 2019 is no longer mainstream.

That said, while the CPU is decidedly not being offered at the mainstream price point, it IS in a mainstream socket, and the $700 does seem comparatively mainstream when you consider the $1,399 entry point for the new Threadrippers :p

I wish AMD would create the 3850X 8C/16T with the same high-binned chiplets used in the 3950X so single core clocks can hit the same 4.7Ghz. I don't need 16C/32T, but I'd like the same high single core clocks that the 3950X has.

Yeah Nobody needs 16 cores and 32 threads unless your materialistic about CPU cores but developers could take advantage of them in the future but this would make everyone else's system obsolete that came out in the past 5 years. Until Intel gets thermals under control there isn't much hope for them this is coming from a Intel retail edge fanboy.

Yeah Nobody needs 16 cores and 32 threads unless your materialistic about CPU cores but developers could take advantage of them in the future but this would make everyone else's system obsolete that came out in the past 5 years. Until Intel gets thermals under control there isn't much hope for them this is coming from a Intel retail edge fanboy.

"you're"

maybe pedantic, but it's the difference between, "Let's eat, grandma!", and, "Let's eat grandma!"

"Nobody needs"

So you've talked to everyone right?

Bullshit. I can always find a use for more cores. Plop a 64 core 128 thread Threadripper down in front of me and I'd be able to use every single last core and thread and be happy about it. There's just no way I'd be able to afford anything like that.

Given how modern chips power-gate components not in use on very fast intervals, I was expecting it, to be honest.

AMD will have a momentary advantage because of this process node leg up, but it won't last forever, so they better get their asses in gear and optimize the shit out of it before Intel gets their new process nodes out.
AMD may dominate if they do this!!!!:
upload_2019-11-14_14-32-6.png

More than likely I will just cause at least one Intel shill to have a heart attack. Honestly, that might just make the world a better place... lol

Jeez. I was hoping it wouldn't be this bad.

I have bever stood in line to buy a product on launch. I can't imagine starting now.
I did once, sandy bridge at the Fry's in Fountain Valley, CA. Well it wasn't much of a line. Me and one other guy were there before it opened. Fun times.

Wouldn't it be short sighted to say nobody needs 16 cores/32 threads? Yes, your typical users won't need it, heck I think most [H] users will probably not need 16 cores but that doesn't mean there isn't a market for it, especially power users.

Well now... it seems 3900x remains the AMD gaming king!

As far as ppl saying no one needs 16 cores ... LmAO literally at that.

I do so many video conversions I'm already looking at the 64core threadripper price dependent. If not the 32 core possibly instead.

I'd be able to saturate the entire cpu all day long.

I do so many video conversions I'm already looking at the 64core threadripper price dependent. If not the 32 core possibly instead.

I agree, and running a million background processes you get absolutely no hang ups at all, keep all your shit open while you game, doesn't matter anymore. :p Running a 12 core model here and its absolutely great.

I k
Only good side of this release (3950x) is it'll mean more 3900xs available.
Seen at least 2-3 on here in the last weeks at good prices.

yea I ended up buying mine on here actually. But most online retailers still didn’t have them for msrp. A few had them marked up. Micro center was the only place I found that had solid stock and I wasn’t willing to drive hours away for one.

mill probably pick up a 3950x once prices settle.

Nobody needs 16 cores or 32 but technology never goes backwards and AMD have delivered more cores, high performance, great efficiency at a good price so thank you AMD for spoiling us with nice things

Tech Jesus has the 3950X under LN2 live right now. Just started doing the temperature drop testing to see how it reacts with different temperatures/cooler capacities. I never watch streams like this usually.. this is an exception.

yea I ended up buying mine on here actually. But most online retailers still didn’t have them for msrp. A few had them marked up..
Lucky man.. Enjoy it! I'm a few weeks off pulling the trigger personally. If I can get one >_>

Build an AMD cpu for an intel socket to troll them?
Building drop in replacement processors using 7nm tech that will accept an Intel socket. Similar to the era in which 486's were "up-gradable" to 586/Pentium processors. I'm fairly certain Intel fanboys would shit the bed after seeing something like this become available as an upgrade path for older Intel systems. Aside from the fact that it's likely impossible based on the architecture alone, it would be a wonderful "Fuck You" to Intel for sitting on their laurels for so long.

I'm not in a position at the moment to really work on getting my 3600 back up (after lighting my VRM on fire overclocking it...) and running as a main system rig. I am still running on an Intel 9600 at 5 Ghz and very happy with it. I don't so much care either way, however, it's definitely nice to see AMD in a position that forces Intel to (hopefully) innovate and drop prices in a more competitive fashion.

I'm fairly certain Intel fanboys would shit the bed after seeing something like this become available as an upgrade path for older Intel systems. Aside from the fact that it's likely impossible based on the architecture alone, it would be a wonderful "Fuck You" to Intel for sitting on their laurels for so long.

Not a technical challenge, but certainly a legal one: remember when AMD made their own CPUs but still used Intel sockets?

You mean 3900x or 3950x? I see a few people after watching the 3950x benchmarks want a 3900x.

Tech Jesus has the 3950X under LN2 live right now. Just started doing the temperature drop testing to see how it reacts with different temperatures/cooler capacities. I never watch streams like this usually.. this is an exception.

Lucky man.. Enjoy it! I'm a few weeks off pulling the trigger personally. If I can get one >_>

So far 252W at 5ghz all core, at -80°c on the live stream under LN2 EDIT: only 1.42v

Already linked it bud ;P

Last edited:
25th of November 2019
you excited? i'm hoping a few drop early on eBay. i'm going to be soliciting tech review sites to see if they'll part with one if money talks.

i'm a little disappointed that the Review Samples weren't decked out with cool stuff... to me collecting review sample kits and swag is coo'

Remember the 2990WX?

index.jpg

5.2GHz all core,1.7V 35A, 420W, -130°. Blender is ~9:20 vs ~12:30? stock.

you excited? i'm hoping a few drop early on eBay. i'm going to be soliciting tech review sites to see if they'll part with one if money talks.

i'm a little disappointed that the Review Samples weren't decked out with cool stuff... to me collecting review sample kits and swag is coo'

Remember the 2990WX?

View attachment 199858

Trying to hold off as long as I can. Don't really need but Really Want!!!!
Maybe if I can sit tight for six months, Zen3 comes out. 4000 series Desktop,..
3k series will be dirt cheap then?

Yeah I think the 3900x is extremely competitive here. Kinda makes the 3900x look like a buy to me.

Here are the options I am weighing.

upload_2019-11-14_19-58-52.png

Having a tough time deciding..,,

Watercool Heatkiller blocks need to be ordered from Germany, as all the U.S. retailers seem to be out of Heatkiller IV Pro blocks for AMD :/

Back