AMD Ryzen 9 3950X Overclocked To 5 GHz Across All 16 Cores On LN2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like just last October I built a custom liquid cooled Threadripper 2950x system. Now 8 months later I can get all those cores and better IPC for hundreds less? What kind of crazy world do we live in? It does feel like most days that I have "enough". I have enough threads, enough RAM, enough frames and stability to die for. I can remember manually changing out a 6MHz crystal in an IBM PC AT for say an 8MHz one. Pow!!! Zoom!!! LOL It has become tough to even notice speed increases in day to day activities. I just do not get the emotional reward overclocking that I used to. For me overclocking has lost some of it's sparkle. Color me old I suppose. I currently have every Intel top desktop CPU since i7-4790K in systems here. More seriously life has shown up in recent years and I just do not have the time beyond initial motherboard and OS tweaking when I get a new platform/socket.

What does it even take to impress many of us any more? Holy Hell!!! 32 core HEDT CPUs? What has impressed me is that I did not think AMD could claw it's way back but they are putting out some good product these days. In the past when this happened with the Athlon64 vs P4, Intel got a lesson in humility. Here we are again. If anyone believes Intel is going quietly into the night then you've forgotten your history. I firmly believe that something breathtaking will come from Intel like a left hook out of nowhere. Their internal corporate storm has been brewing for years. We have significant movement of engineering talent, zero day hardware bugs, fabrication problems and now real live honest in your face competition. Isn't competition great?!

One thing I haven't seen pointed out much (given that we all agree 6 cores is the sweet spot for gaming right now) is the R5 3600 for $199.. Buy that and overclock it and you'll probably be fairly close to if not matching any top end CPU in terms of frame rate (ignoring GPU bottleneck). So while I've read so many arguments defending prices rising all these years in the GPU market, AMD just knocked prices way down for us in the CPU sect. At this point you can almost put all of your budget into your GPU.

I still game just fine on a 4790k @ 4.7ghz.. I get 100+FPS in popular online games like PUBG. So even the $149 4c/8t 3400G should be a pretty sweet CPU for gaming, in fact I may grab a 3400G to get rid of my secondary rig with an [email protected]. I bet for $149 you'll hold any game at 60FPS for a nice 4k rig.

One thing I haven't seen pointed out much (given that we all agree 6 cores is the sweet spot for gaming right now) is the R5 3600 for $199.. Buy that and overclock it and you'll probably be fairly close to if not matching any top end CPU in terms of frame rate (ignoring GPU bottleneck). So while I've read so many arguments defending prices rising all these years in the GPU market, AMD just knocked prices way down for us in the CPU sect. At this point you can almost put all of your budget into your GPU.

I still game just fine on a 4790k @ 4.7ghz.. I get 100+FPS in popular online games like PUBG. So even the $149 4c/8t 3400G should be a pretty sweet CPU for gaming, in fact I may grab a 3400G to get rid of my secondary rig with an [email protected]. I bet for $149 you'll hold any game at 60FPS for a nice 4k rig.

I am running a 2500k and 1070. PUBG runs like shit. Sure I get 100+ fps when everyone's dead but start of the game is an unplayable mess. Not sure 3950x is going to fix that particular issue for me but it well, it's been a while since I my last platform upgrade

I am running a 2500k and 1070. PUBG runs like shit. Sure I get 100+ fps when everyone's dead but start of the game is an unplayable mess. Not sure 3950x is going to fix that particular issue for me but it well, it's been a while since I my last platform upgrade

2500K is 4C/4T and I believe these days sandy is starting to fall a good bit behind in IPC. From my understanding of late, 4C/8T has been paying off in modern titles. I don't think I ever dip below 90FPS from start to finish in any map (Vega 64 GPU) with the 4790k. 3400G should be a very nice boost in single core performance as well as giving you the benefits of having 8 threads. I'd expect that CPU to at least match a 4790k, possibly pulling ahead overclocked.

3800x, 3900x, 3950, or even an i7 9700k would run PUBG just fine.

Core speed is exciting but did anyone notice the ram speed? 4533!!!!

Reddit says the 16 core reached a final speed of 5.35GHz under LN2, so 5GHz isn't the end of the road. Maybe 4.6-.4.8 with a good chip and optimization under water or chilled water.
And apparently the 12core got to near 6GHz last week at CTEX.

To me this is very terrible news for people expecting to get anywhere near 5GHz on air / water with Zen2. If you need LN2 to get 5GHz there is no overclock headroom.

This isn't terrible news for a 16core IMO.

From Gamers Nexus:
Speaking with some extreme overclockers at Computex 2019, we learned that Ryzen 3000 series CPUs, including the 12-core, have been nearing 6GHz with liquid nitrogen overclocking. This isn’t particularly useful to know in a practical sense, seeing as we can’t really glean anything from engineering sample overclocks with liquid nitrogen, but it does begin to set the stage for AMD Ryzen overclocking in the 3000 series

-Engineering Samples and "near 6ghz" for a 12 core is nice, and shows that it's the extra cores knocking out the 5ghz 16 core overclock (which is massive for 16 cores....). It's probably hitting the limits of what that i/o die can take. Give it a new stepping and a bit more maturity on 7nm and those numbers can climb easily.

Still. Based on trends with all Ryzen CPUs, expect to see the vast majority of these under ample ambient cooling running 4.5-4.7ghz all core. Tack on IPC boost which we'll make 10% instead of 15 to be more conservative.. and a 4.7ghz ryzen 3xxx is approximately a ryzen 2xxx at 5.2ghz.. So I don't see what the fuss is about. Intel has had about 8 years to prefect the cores they use in coffee lake to be hitting insane ambient clocks like 5.3ghz.. I'm sure we'll get a 7nm refresh of ryzen next year or so that will finally start getting those 5ghz numbers.

This isn't terrible news for a 16core IMO.

From Gamers Nexus:

-Engineering Samples and "near 6ghz" for a 12 core is nice, and shows that it's the extra cores knocking out the 5ghz 16 core overclock (which is massive for 16 cores....). It's probably hitting the limits of what that i/o die can take. Give it a new stepping and a bit more maturity on 7nm and those numbers can climb easily.

Still. Based on trends with all Ryzen CPUs, expect to see the vast majority of these under ample ambient cooling running 4.5-4.7ghz all core. Tack on IPC boost which we'll make 10% instead of 15 to be more conservative.. and a 4.7ghz ryzen 3xxx is approximately a ryzen 2xxx at 5.4ghz.. So I don't see what the fuss is about. Intel has had about 8 years to prefect the cores they use in coffee lake to be hitting insane ambient clocks like 5.3ghz.. I'm sure we'll get a 7nm refresh of ryzen next year or so that will finally start getting those 5ghz numbers.

And throw in the mix that AMD didn't apply any security speed cheating patches to Intel rigs for their benchmark runs, so with that applied the ground will be even different on some benchmark sites. They also didn't run the multi core whatever thing that intel uses to go over TDP though, so this is a stock-stock comparison.

And throw in the mix that AMD didn't apply any security speed cheating patches to Intel rigs for their benchmark runs, so with that applied the ground will be even different on some benchmark sites. They also didn't run the multi core whatever thing that intel uses to go over TDP though, so this is a stock-stock comparison.

Oh yeah lol, roasted.

Maybe Google will switch to AMD and re-enable SMT so YouTube can stop running so slow :p

Anyway I think this is great. Intel will be back with a big answer probably by 2020 and the stagnant CPU market of the 2010s is officially over.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I am running a 2500k

Found the problem. Just upgrading to a 6700k and hitting the same frequencies, degraded 2500k down to 4.5GHz, 6700k with initial overclock, I saw a massive boost in playability.

Found the problem. Just upgrading to a 6700k and hitting the same frequencies, degraded 2500k down to 4.5GHz, 6700k with initial overclock, I saw a massive boost in playability.

Got a friend with a ryzen 2700. He's having the same issues. Upgrading to yet another quad always seemed pointless to me.

Got a friend with a ryzen 2700. He's having the same issues. Upgrading to yet another quad always seemed pointless to me.

I'm betting that you're having similar symptoms with different problems. Not running an AMD GPU are they? An R7 2700 should handle PUBG swimmingly, from the CPU side.

To me this is very terrible news for people expecting to get anywhere near 5GHz on air / water with Zen2. If you need LN2 to get 5GHz there is no overclock headroom.

and you expected 16 core to OC to 5ghz on AIR? Damn, talk about unrealistic expectations.

Core speed is exciting but did anyone notice the ram speed? 4533!!!!

Reddit says the 16 core reached a final speed of 5.35GHz under LN2, so 5GHz isn't the end of the road. Maybe 4.6-.4.8 with a good chip and optimization under water or chilled water.
And apparently the 12core got to near 6GHz last week at CTEX.
Yup and that ram speed was done on air. Looks like AMD really stepped up in the mem speed department.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I think for a desktop gaming rig, 6C is the sweet spot right now for strictly a budget gaming box in terms of money spent on a CPU. But with that said, you probably do not want to be "multitasking" very much while gaming. Of course memory footprint is probably going to come more into play there than CPU while actually gaming. It is really hard to argue not spending the money to put at least 8C/16T CPU in your box if you are building/buying new today. When I put this 6C/6T in this box, I really wanted to see just how it would work out for daily usage, as my previous employer had specifically asked me some questions about that. No better way to figure it out for yourself.

Truer words were never spoken. I suspect that for the vast majority of people, 6c/6t is plenty.

Maybe a decent AIO?

Having to go sub-ambient for 5GHz means that for most, it ain't happening.

well i doubt most people were looking to get 5ghz on all 16 cores on air or AIO. We need the cooling guys to get off their asses and have some innovation there instead of focusing on RGB lol.

I'm betting that you're having similar symptoms with different problems. Not running an AMD GPU are they? An R7 2700 should handle PUBG swimmingly, from the CPU side.

The person in question has a reference 1070. This CPU coming out in September is likely a blessing a disguise because I don't want to wait any longer.

well i doubt most people were looking to get 5ghz on all 16 cores on air or AIO. We need the cooling guys to get off their asses and have some innovation there instead of focusing on RGB lol.

Sure; but sub-ambient is a stretch.

The person in question has a reference 1070. This CPU coming out in September is likely a blessing a disguise because I don't want to wait any longer.

Well, if your problem is the same, then this CPU isn't going to do any good.

Yup and that ram speed was done on air. Looks like AMD really stepped up in the mem speed department.
Blew my expectations out the water on ram speed. Well done AMD and gloflo 14nm IO chip!

Maybe a decent AIO?

Having to go sub-ambient for 5GHz means that for most, it ain't happening.
Who cares about muh fieve GHz when you have higher IPC (especially after patches and more patches no doubt yet to come) and stupid fast ram and double the cores to encode and do other shit in the background with.... holy VM multi boxing during gaming without skipping a beat anyone?

Who cares about muh fieve GHz

Plenty of people care, apparently. See the title of the thread you're replying in.

have higher IPC

Even AMD isn't claiming this, and since we're talking about gaming, stuff that affects datacenters is going to have a different impact. Also, if you're going to complain about vulnerabilities going forward, note that AMD is quickly becoming a lucrative target for malicious actors. That's the price of gaining marketshare.

If not for PUBG, then the new Doom.

I expect Doom to need even less, given that it's running on id Tech with Vulkan, if the 2016 variant is a good indicator, but if they find use for the extra cores more power to them, and I do share your sentiment overall.

Fanboy alert.

Actually, if I were going to do my current build again, I would switch to AMD in order to get more cores and more PCI lanes. So, I'm the opposite of a fanboi.

First you ask for a competition and then you bitch when you get it.

I eagerly await your link to my post where I did this. Eagerly.

Did AMD hurt your wallet by releasing a competitive CPU for half the price?

Actually, no. AMD did nothing of the sort. None of their new releases are competitive for my usage. I have zero skin in this game.

What's funny here is that you have followed the exact script of a fanboi post while screaming that everyone else but you is a fanboi.

But, hey, whatever gets your rocks off. We all have our fetishes and it would be wrong for me to judge you for yours.

Yeah. 12 core should be enough. If not for PUBG, then the new Doom.
yea the 3900x for 500 is what im leaning toward....TBH my current cpu does just fine but yea ill take 4 more physical cores just because. And honestly these games dont need it all the time, but dang if quite a few games max out even my cpu here and there especially when loading new areas (like when you were talking about the start of a round)

The interesting part about this is I may purchase this CPU to replace my aging windows workstation. I finally went live with my R7 2700 PVR / linux server this week as the 13 ? year old core2quad died last Friday morning.

Although on a second level I will likely be disappointed if I do so.. The geek in me wants a 7nm TR4. Must resist..

Last edited:
I will likely go the 3950X or 3900X route for my next build. Probably not too far in the future either.

I was gonna wait to see what happens with Threadripper, but the 3950X does look plenty. My build though is likely in the new year and so lots can happen by then.

Like it or not, he's not wrong. 4K is much more demanding than 1920x1080 or 2560x1440 and a few FPS makes the difference between a smooth experience and a choppy one.

Demanding on the video card, yes. My [email protected] which was recently swapped out with a xeon 2697v2 ebay special doesn't seem to hold back my 4k 2080ti gaming at all at 60fps with rtx on. Maybe it would with SLI, but there really is no need for that with how fast the 2080ti is unless you want ultra rtx.

Plenty of people care, apparently. See the title of the thread you're replying in.

Even AMD isn't claiming this, and since we're talking about gaming, stuff that affects datacenters is going to have a different impact. Also, if you're going to complain about vulnerabilities going forward, note that AMD is quickly becoming a lucrative target for malicious actors. That's the price of gaining marketshare.

It's an LN2 attempt and the only relevance is that by hitting 5.35, daily drivers may get to the high 4GHz region. IPC increases in Zen 2 are definitely relevant as they close or exceed the gap Intel had due to clockspeed in mega fps twitch gaming. Because everyone is a CS pro when it comes to CPU usage, you know?

A someone who's been waiting since the 2600k for a worthy upgrade, and slowly realizing that an overpriced intel chip is going to be my only option, this is the miracle I was hoping for.

I'm a sucker for whole numbers and hitting that 5.0, but when it comes to reliable clocks and acceptable temps I've always erred on the side of caution anyway, so I'll gladly take 4.5 if I can get 16 whopping cores at under a grand.

How anyone can throw shade at AMD's ryzen 3000 lineup given the alternative is mind boggling to me.

AMD: Announces 12 core chip.
Everyone: But what about the 16 core?
AMD: Announces 16 core chip.
Everyone: WHO THE HELL NEEDS 16 CORES?

Then go buy an Intel you schmucks! :banghead:

Why's that Kyle? "because you can?"

To review!?! Wooooo Kyle’s coming back, confirmed!!

EEA293AE-6657-4AB3-A802-AF4BB7935206.gif

PS, I want a 3950x too.

Actually, if I were going to do my current build again, I would switch to AMD in order to get more cores and more PCI lanes. So, I'm the opposite of a fanboi.

I eagerly await your link to my post where I did this. Eagerly.

Actually, no. AMD did nothing of the sort. None of their new releases are competitive for my usage. I have zero skin in this game.

What's funny here is that you have followed the exact script of a fanboi post while screaming that everyone else but you is a fanboi.

But, hey, whatever gets your rocks off. We all have our fetishes and it would be wrong for me to judge you for yours.

It wasn't you. It was your comment. I agree its not my place to judge you but your comment was little immature and bashing AMD for no reason. They showed plenty of comparisons and even some against the latest and greatest. I have used intel for years and I appreciate the kick in the ass and some competition. I stand corrected people complained about competition and but then when they bring it, its still not good enough. AMD has made mad strides in IPC with zen and they brought another 13-15% in zen 2. So give credit where its due, by all means though pay double for intel is it makes you happy. I respect that and can agree to disagree there.

I will likely go the 3950X or 3900X route for my next build. Probably not too far in the future either.
*leaves Intel* *Likely to go 3950x* coincidence.....I think so!

I know the two are beyond unrelated, I’m just making bad jokes man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back