AMD Ryzen 9 3950x Breaks world records.

Discussion in 'AMD Processors' started by Alienslare, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Alienslare

Alienslare Limp Gawd

{NG}Fidel and Pieter3dnow like this.
  2. compgeek89

compgeek89 Limp Gawd

More "woot" for AMD. I just hope they keep it going into the future.

Alienslare likes this.
  3. daphatgrant

daphatgrant Moderator Staff Member

I'm not going to get amp'd until I see real hands on reviews by people but it's getting a little harder to stay blase about the prospects.

4. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard as it Gets

5. Alienslare

Alienslare Limp Gawd

I honestly never laid my hands on Amd. And i did not see them winning after 2003 till this ryzen 3rd Gen finally put the balls in court.
    Amd should be looking forward for better instructions and thermal solutions rather then always increasing the core count.

6. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

You mean not purchased an AMD CPU?? I would say I have roughly purchased around 100 between work and home. Although most of these were in the last decade.

N4CR, Alienslare and {NG}Fidel like this.
  7. amittalkin

amittalkin n00b

Cant wait to go back to red team. My first and last AMD CPU was Athlon 64 3200+. However I have no requirement for any upgrades from my 6700k, but its so tempting not to jump on Ryzen bandwagon.

8. cjcox

cjcox [H]ard|Gawd

I started with a dual Athon and moved up to dual Opteron's... then Intel came in with their slaugter-fest. Since there were some issues with the 1st gen Ryzens, I got scared away. 2nd gen seemed to fair better, but there's still a bit too much noise (and it could just be noise). Would love to see some good competition come back. I do a lot of VMs and such, so changing architecture is a really really really big deal. I took that path in the past and it cost me a fortune.

IMHO, AMD needs help from Intel to really make for a good comeback. In other words, AMD needs to continue to keep ramping up (at least for the next 5 years or more) and Intel needs to fumble (arguably they've started, but concerned about some of the things coming out from Intel... might give AMD some headaches... or it could be propaganda to keep people wondering about AMD).

9. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

First got an AM2 Sempron, very disappointed. Next got an Athlon 64 X2, worlds of difference, I was hooked. Stuck with that one for a long time because I was still in school and had no income. After I moved out, got a bulldozer a8-6800k and a biostar AM2+ mITX board. The mb was great, the CPU a bit underwhelming, and worse it couldn't xf with my GPU because it was too good. Got a low end 7xxx apu for a server, and it turned out better than the 6800, but I was ready for a real computer by that point. Luckily, I won an intel mb from a forum giveaway here. Bought all the components to go with it and a new case. Really nice, but I just couldn't get the hang of overclocking it, and it was having weird momentary system hangs, so I mothballed it and went back to my 6800k. Now I'm on a ryzen 1600 and looking forward to a 3600x, hoping my lackluster gigabyte x370 board handles it alright.

Alienslare likes this.
  10. mnewxcv

mnewxcv [H]ardness Supreme

holding out for a 256 core part before my next upgrade.

travanx, Alienslare and compgeek89 like this.
  11. {NG}Fidel

{NG}Fidel [H]ardness Supreme

Next CPU is an AMD either the 3900 or the 3950.
    Intel was ok up until Broadwell E and Haswell E and then I feel like they just didnt give a fuck anymore.

12. Brian_B

Brian_B 2[H]4U

That’s about the point the effect of the R&D budget going away started to hit. And now their entire 10nm process got docked by it.

Pure conjecture, but my guess is the convo in the Board Room around 2011 went something like this:

Bulldozer sucks, we can pull back on R&D, and keep higher margins.

N4CR, Alienslare, Dayaks and 2 others like this.
  13. compgeek89

compgeek89 Limp Gawd

That seems like a good threshold. Would that be called an 8-bit core arrangement? Heheh

Alienslare and {NG}Fidel like this.
  14. {NG}Fidel

{NG}Fidel [H]ardness Supreme

And honestly even if they just match Intel the fact remains the core count is just too juicy and it's got great clocks regardless of the nay sayers. With the cooling i would put the thing under it would not budge from turbo clocks. To think we at one point celebrated the 6950x.

Alienslare likes this.
  15. compgeek89

compgeek89 Limp Gawd

Speaking of "x950X" CPUs ... is it odd to anyone else that AMD is using exactly the same numbering format as Intel? Only made it to the 3000 series thus far ... but it's just a 4 digit number. Almost seems like they'd do something more creative.

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  16. SpeedyVV

SpeedyVV [H]ardness Supreme

Want creative? Buy apple!

Sorry could not help it.

travanx and Hakaba like this.
  17. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

I think R&D is usually disclosed in quarterlies but I am too lazy to look. Wouldn’t surprise me though.

18. Calavaro

Calavaro Whiskey & Honey

Showing "World records" is nice and all, but I want my 16 core Godzilla chip now, thanks. September is too far away.

19. Alienslare

Alienslare Limp Gawd

It means you can have a better idea about their struggle and score.
    And indeed i never brought one nor built any for anyone. As there is no retail store here in our country and importing it involves alot of custom/excise headache. But this time i will have to compromise for everything in the way.

Hahaha there are alot of people like you who were just waiting till this moment.

The biggest is yet there to come. Threadripper refresh.

N4CR likes this.
  20. Alienslare

Alienslare Limp Gawd

Amd has provided consumers with alternatives and performance numbers in terms of cores from the last decade. Amd should now take the chance for further research on enhancing & creating of instruction set. Especially dedicated towards AI. The way i see it Amd is still not on the band wagon but there has to be a clue considering RDNA might evolve itself in Graphical AI. So there is a clear chance of having processors integrated with AI just like Intel’s 10th gen. And as for the record Intel followed Nvidia’s league as Nvidia is leading Graphical AI.
    I speculation is if Amd turns their wheel towards AI. Things will be more bright.

Exactly Amd is putting relevant numbers or numbers matching the series (applying tne next serial as upper ones)
    Thats why Nvidia just filed its patents against their number (3060, 3070, 3080)
    Amd did mocked Intel off by chipset numbers and series. B series or X series even to surpass the hype of X299 we had x399

21. Wag

Wag Gawd

Could be time I upgrade my 5820k...

Nside likes this.
  22. Nside

Nside Limp Gawd

While this should always be a focus, NOT increasing core count has been intel's downfall. While Intel has had marginal IPC improvements from generation to generation since Sandybridge, they waited until Ryzen to let average consumers get out of the 4-core doghouse. Considering nobody can really get over the 5Ghz hurdle, and have been basically stuck at 3 to 4Ghz for almost a decade, it should have been obvious to the "Market Leader" that other avenues of improvement would be necessary.

The only thing keeping "more cores" from becoming the path for continued CPU improvement is software developers, and it takes a push (via sales and marketshare) from HW manufacturers to get developers to start utilizing the available cores. Intel hasn't improved clock speed that many developers had been banking on, and made anything more than 4-cores out of reach for the average consumer. This will likely be a turning point for developers who have largely ignored anything beyond 4 cores when creating software/games.

Also consider the new upcoming consoles both have Zen2 chips with 8 cores and 16 threads... Prepare for PC games (especially console ports) to start using all 8 cores... FINALLY...

AMD has been doing that for around 30 years or so. The whole reason Intel went from the 286/386/486 processor to the Pentium (While AMD and Cyrix went 586) was because a Judge ruled you can't patent/trademark a number... It's actually kind of funny trolling, but AMD needs to start standing out now considering they've made a name for themselves once again.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  23. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

They'd been working on putting >4 cores in their consumer socket well before Ryzen's performance was known. This is an absurd claim, that they turned out a new CPU in a handful of months. Further, they had >4 core consumer parts on their roadmap for 10nm. That's what really killed their momentum, screwing up 10nm.

This is absolutely true, and it should be noted that extracting parallelism is not a cut-and-dry thing. Developers have been working on it since the first dual-core CPUs hit and they'll still be working on it for decades to come. Four, eight, sixteen cores? These are pretty arbitrary from the developers perspective. It's just 'more' unless they are targeting a specific platform like a console with static hardware, OS, and drivers.

This might not be as big of a motivator as you'd think. Zen2 is an order of magnitude (at least) faster per-core than the Jaguar cores used in the Xbox One and PS4, meaning that developers have less incentive to work hard to parallelize their workloads. Yes, they'll likely get there eventually, but it will likely be several generations of PC hardware away.

24. Nside

Nside Limp Gawd

I agree with most everything you said, but we still don't have 10nm, Yet we have >4 cores from Intel on their consumer socket. AMD had been pushing cores since the 6-core Phenom IIs, and later the (disastrous) bulldozer CPUs. I do believe insider leaks and speculation about Ryzen 1 caused Intel to push 6-core onto the market on 14nm. Had bulldozer been any semblance of a success, they would have done it even earlier than they did. To think that Intel had no idea what AMD was doing long before most anyone else knew is "absurd" to me. I suppose we can agree to disagree, but the road-map and design for Ryzen was spelled out in 2013/2014, I would find it hard to believe Intel didn't get the heads up way in advance that it might NOT be another borked effort by AMD.

Also, the Xeons based on Skylake/Kabylake/CoffeeLake all existed, or were going to exist... It's not like Intel pulled the ability to do 6-cores out of thin air. It certainly wouldn't have taken them the normal 3-5 year cycle to fab a new CPU based on existing architecture with 2 more cores. Considering they came out with an 8-core under the same generation less than a year after their 6-cores appeared, I would say that proves my point that they put a rush on things. And it showed, Intel's releases and sockets the last 2 years have been a mess.

25. IdiotInCharge

Intel has shipped 10nm parts that are in laptops. They developed >4-core 14nm parts as a contingency for their 10nm process being something like four years behind schedule.

The Phenom II's were alright, but their lack of IPC and clock scaling was pretty rough; Bulldozer never shipped with more than four 'modules', which were the closest structure on those CPUs that resembled a 'core'.

You might take a look at Intel's HEDT lineup, something that AMD failed to challenge until the release of Threadripper. Claiming 'Intel had no idea' is again absurd.

Who knows about the 'maybes'. The reality is that Intel had to have started work on their 14nm six- and eight-core parts before any solid information was available about Ryzen. This speaks as much or more to Intel trying to cover for their own 10nm failings as it does to the irregular possibility of AMD not failing.

Sure, but what we're talking about is shoehorning more cores and a GPU into a consumer socket with only two memory channels, and doing so successfully, at 14nm. That means that there was a product integration cycle, which means that there was significant planning and qualification necessary.

They've had better stability and support than Ryzen releases, which to be fair, is both typical of AMD and Intel. Intel chipsets are the standard that AMD chipsets rarely achieve. I had to run a lot of dodgy AMD boards to learn that first-hand.

Sure, you can drop a new Ryzen CPU into an old motherboard. You might even run it at stock. But you have no guarantee that you can pick up a random Z370 board and drop a 3950X into it and have everything just work.

It's a catch 22. AMD went with 'we'll let them figure out if it works or not' and Intel went with 'we'll make sure it works'. I get both approaches and I don't knock either.

26. Nside

Nside Limp Gawd

There's not much to argue, you see it differently. Could go either way, but I see their rush to push the 8-core out the door in a weird refresh type release as proof of both my assumptions. For the record, yes, i know they are finally shipping 10nm in low-frequency parts, should be interesting to see if their stated benchmarks are true (goes for both companies TBH)

As for their stability, I think that says more about Intel having more sway and respect among board makers. AMD, until recently, has been at the mercy of those companies, and has been happy to even get ANY boards from most of them. Same goes for OEMs. You can see the quality go up dramatically, as well as the number of available models, in each AM4 chipset generation, and I think that is due mostly to gaining market share. And for Intel Sockets, Let's talk about LGA 1151... lol

IdiotInCharge likes this.
  27. Wag

Wag Gawd

Do we think the 3950x will be worth the extra $250 over the 3900?

Right now I think the 5820k@4.3ghz I've been rockin' for almost 5yrs is still pretty good, but for 4k gaming (even with a 2080ti) I could use a little boost. It's time for me to upgrade.

28. IdiotInCharge

It really depends on your application. Once you hit eight cores, you have gaming covered, so clockspeed and IPC are where your gains will come. Paying for more cores can certainly help other stuff.

29. IdiotInCharge

To put it simply, Intel has earned it. AMD's been there too, just not recently ;).

30. Nightfire

Nightfire [H]ard|Gawd